Value of: Alexander Ovechkin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
His numbers are decent in the playoffs, but he's never come up clutch and has no post season defining moment.

He's scored in the last two Game 7s the Caps played, plus another a few years ago, and that's just off the top of my head. Sorry his goals weren't game winners with .5 seconds to go.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Backstrom has 642 pts in 652 games . Giroux has 517 in 574. I'd also give Backstrom the edge defensively. Straight downgrade, not hypothetical at all..

Is that all you are bringing to the table? Something anyone with Internet access can find in 4 seconds? What if Giroux centered OV most of his career and Backstrom played in Philly? Would Backstrom be the captain in Philly?

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Is that all you are bringing to the table? Something anyone with Internet access can find in 4 seconds? What if Giroux centered OV most of his career and Backstrom played in Philly? Would Backstrom be the captain in Philly?

I see you ignored my post...

Do you really think that the Capitals front office would take Giroux over Backstrom mere months after Backstrom absolutely DOMINATED Giroux in the series?

SnoopDogg

Gin and Juice
Jan 13, 2016
Buffalo
Wow, then what's your take on E. Kane? Or does he get a pass for being a Sabre?

Cocky and overrated are two of the top 3 adjectives I'd use to describe him. The other rhymes with schmupid.
When did I ever say Kane wasn't cocky and overrated? He is, also, when did I even mention Evander Kane in this thread?

SnoopDogg

Gin and Juice
Jan 13, 2016
Buffalo
Alex Ovechkin had 21 assists in 2016, the lowest total of his career. He had 8 Game Winning Goals. He was paid $9.54M toward the Cap.

Matt Moulson scored 21 total points in 2016. He had 8 total goals. He had 1 Game Winning Goal. He was paid 5M toward the Cap.

Jack Eichel had 56 total points in 2016, Alex Ovechkin had 50 goals. Ovechkin had more goals than the Sabres Leading and 2nd place goal scorer COMBINED. He had more assists than all but 3 Sabre players, despite (as alluded to earlier) the lowest assist total of his career.

You can have Brooks Orpik for Eichel.

If Ovechkin is overrated, I'd hope to have a whole team that is overrated.

Your post is bad and you should feel bad.
I do really feel bad, I think I may end up quitting the internet now :sarcasm:

MW6

Sponsor
Oct 21, 2011
Umeå
Landeskog, Barrie, Rantanen, 2017 1st

For Ovechkin, Orpik (1M RSA)

-----------------------------------

Simmonds, Couturier, Rubtsov, 2017 1st

For Ovechkin, Eller

-------------------------------

Pacioretty, Gallager, Sergachyov

For Ovechkin, Wilson

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I see you ignored my post...

Do you really think that the Capitals front office would take Giroux over Backstrom mere months after Backstrom absolutely DOMINATED Giroux in the series?

I am aware that the caps dominated the flyers. I take Giroux easily, and would wager the caps management would too.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
I wouldnt trade that much for Ovechkin no.
Malkin is the no.2 center in the league (arguably) and significant plus with Ovechkin would be required to convince GMJR to get rid of Malkin

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It really is a shame that Ovechkin can't play all 6 positions at once and win Stanley Cups all by himself. It takes more than Ovi to win a cup, and when he's scored at a ppg in his playoff career, it's clear he's doing his part. If the Caps can upgrade their bottom 6 depth this year maybe they can finally make a legitimate run for a cup.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I am aware that the caps dominated the flyers. I take Giroux easily, and would wager the caps management would too.

You have offered nothing other than your opinion as to why anyone would value Giroux more. I'm pretty sure the management team of the Capitals (or any team) would value that about as much as I do, which is to say laughable. I'd love to hear any reasoning as to why you take Giroux "easily." I doubt you'll get one person to agree with it.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Clearly the idea of 1C's going head to head against each other in a series is too hard for him to understand.

because they don't go head to head, there are two wingers and 2 D on the ice also. Then there is this http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nhl/2066/claude-giroux

"Claude Giroux had successful hip and abdominal surgery on Tuesday, according to Flyers GM Ron Hextall.
Giroux is expected to be back at 100 percent in about 10-12 weeks, which means he shouldn't miss any part of training camp in September. The 28-year-old had 22 goals and 67 points in 78 games in 2015-16."

RangerGuru

May 14, 2013
Live in the DC area and watch Caps games whenever the Rangers aren't playing

While I despise OV and hope he never wins a cup, a lot of people in this thread are underrating his abilities and value

He is still a top 3-5 player and the best goal scorer in the league

Probably the only two names in this league that make a GM even stop and think for more than 2 seconds would be Sidney Crosby and Connor McDavid

Can't believe I'm defending this guy right now :D

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Yes, he is the best in the world at that one dimension but below average in virtually all other dimensions. He's only gotten 'better' in recent years because he used to be absolutely brutal before, especially defensively.

If you want the clearest sign of his decline just look at his goal to assist ratio, 50 goals but only 21 assists? He wasn't even PPG last season... The guy now waits for the game to come to him most of the time, any neutral observer without Ovie blinkers on could tell you that there is a pretty big difference between the guy that you see in 2015-16 and the Ovie of 2010. He's become overly-reliant on his one trick as his other tools have decreased, it has maintained his goal ratio up but other parts of his game have clearly deteriorated.

His numbers are decent in the playoffs, but he's never come up clutch and has no post season defining moment. Never even led his team out of the 2nd round. And he's 31... Maybe it's his leadership that needs to be questioned, who knows, but it's clear that an Ovie-led team is simply not going to get it done at this point.

This article from last year is pretty damning, and I can only assume the pressure has mounted significantly for the only multiple hart winner in history to never experience any post season success: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/05/ale...made-conference-finals-hart-trophy-statistics

Dug up an old post from the first round against the Flyers. Hockey is a TEAM sport. Ovechkin has always played well in the playoffs. His teammates, well not exactly great....

Alex Ovechkin 1.15 PPG in regular season, .96 PPG in playoffs
Nick Backstrom .98 PPG in regular season, .72 PPG in playoffs
Alex Semin .80 PPG in regular season, .67 PPG in playoffs (All with the Caps)
Mike Green .61 PPG in regular season, .51 PPG in playoffs
Marcus Johansson .55 PPG in regular season, .38 PPG in playoffs
Troy Brouwer .48 PPG in regular season, .24 PPG in playoffs

If that's Ovechkin struggling, I have no idea what the hell the rest are.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You have offered nothing other than your opinion as to why anyone would value Giroux more. I'm pretty sure the management team of the Capitals (or any team) would value that about as much as I do, which is to say laughable. I'd love to hear any reasoning as to why you take Giroux "easily." I doubt you'll get one person to agree with it.

Id wager that the majority of neutral fans would take Giroux over Backstrom. Both are underrated in their two way ability though.

Caps were a far deeper team the past few seasons than the Flyers, which obviously gives Backstrom a situational advantage over Giroux. Claude also doesnt have the luxury of playing with a generational first ballot hall of fame goal scorer.

thecapsfan

Sep 3, 2012

Let me think for a moment on... don't even need to. Capitals management have repeatedly praised Backstrom and actually tried drawing attention to how criminally underrated he is on top of being one of the most valuable players they had. Of course Backstrom doesn't mind and or prefers being out of the spotlight (with his quiet lead by example personality). If I remember correctly, Trotz even said that Backstrom should have won or been nominated for a selke by now.

As for Backstrom vs Giroux:

Backstrom has the edge in career offensive production (ppg, etc) (at the start of last season or the season before he was a career point per game player)
Backstrom is better defensively
Backstrom (and Ovechkin) were regularly matched up on the ice with Giroux during the playoff series and shut him and all of Philly's stars almost completely off the score sheet (Voracek: 1 Point, Giroux one point) and to top it off Backstrom and Ovechkin lit the scoresheet up.

Those claiming Ovechkin is one dimensional: the Ovechkin-Backstrom-Oshie line played the role of shutdown against Giroux and Voracek and the Flyers top line (and almost completely stonewalled them), while putting up points. Trotz has turned Ovechkin into a two way player. He isn't one dimensional like he used to be.

So before you decide to bash a player, actually watch him play, and make sure it is recently and that date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad