Value of: Alexander Ovechkin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
How much is a 31 year old

Well, he is 31, I'll give you that.

one dimensional

He's been easily the best in the world at that one-dimension. Also, he's not that one-dimensional, it just is the most apparent.

declining winger

Who still scored 50 goals last season. How he's been on the decline? I guess he'll decline in the next ten years, sure.

that fails to make his teammates better

This is roughly the opposite.

and has choked time and time again in the POs worth?

Ovechkin has performed quite well in the POs. For instance 0.98 PPG, 0.49 GPG. Compared to like Crosby's 1.10 / 0.4, Kane's 0.98 / 0.4, Malkin's 1.04 / 0.39, the numbers are there.

Oh, and that is on a terrible contract to boot...

9.5 a year that covers rest of his most productive years isn't that bad.

I think people would be shocked at the return if he were ever traded.

I guess you would be the first one.

Some people just twist the arguments to fit their agenda...

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
His most recent choke job was this year when everything was on the line against Pitts. Clutch players are able to change and adapt when things aren't going their way, Ovechkin simply tries to hammer it and hammer it some more.

He also only scores that many goals because the Caps gameplan around getting it to Ovie whenever possible, and he milks the PP for everything he can... Yes he has a lethal shot, but that lethal shot hasn't won him jack all and has never come close to either. If he doesn't change his game to be less selfish, and if the Caps don't have a plan B that is not get it to Ovie and pray he scores, it will stay that way.

Ovie and his line outplayed Malkin and Crosby and their lines during the 2nd round. Wasn't particularly close either. The Caps bottom 6 did nothing while the Pens depth lit the Caps up. That's on Ovechkin?

19 of Ovechkin's 51 goals were PPGs this year. Coaches gameplan to player's strengths. Ovechkin's is to shoot. That's a problem? Ovie's game isn't selfish, at all, and has developed a lot over the past four years.

Just be honest. Say, "I don't like Ovechkin because of personal insecurities and biased assumptions." That's OK, you're entitled to that opinion, but stop trying to spout "facts" to support your argument. They're all wrong.

koalabear9301

Cero Miedo
May 9, 2016
Baltimore
Teams win the cup every year without Ovi.

Hockey is a sport - entertainment - and on the entertainment scale Ovi is a 10, just like Wilson is a 10.

Ovi scores a highlight-reel goal and Wilson smashes a big mouth. Both have an entertainment value of 10 ---- and the crowd roars.

Does that win cups?

That's a different question.

This is just a dumb argument. Ovechkin's ability to finish his checks, as well as score from just about anywhere in the offensive zone is definitely entertaining to watch. But he also gets the job done in the playoffs, scoring at nearly a point per game pace in the playoffs. Blaming Ovechkin for the Caps playoff losses is just asinine.

Teams won the Super Bowl every year without Dan Marino. Does that make Jim McMahon a better QB? Hell no. Teams (the Bulls) won the Finals every year without John Stockton. Does that make guys like Steve Kerr better? Hell no.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
What? He isn't coachable? Dude plays defense now and has done everything what trotz has told him to do.

Ov is not coachable. Hunter sat him on the bench and he didnt complain. Hunter asked him to block shots. He blocked shots. Oates moved him to RW and change his game. He moved to right wing and made it work. Trotz asked him to play system defense and his line with Backstrom is the team's match up defensive line.

Yea....uncoachable.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Caps pass. The guy does things that nobody else does. He's not the problem with the exception that when in big moments the Caps as a team rely on him too much Imo. They live and die with Ovechkin when sometimes I think the caps need someone else as an option to shoot. I see the reasoning behind letting the best goal scorer since he's laced them up to do his thing. Just seems predictable at times.

You just don't trade players like him.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Ovie and his line outplayed Malkin and Crosby and their lines during the 2nd round. Wasn't particularly close either. The Caps bottom 6 did nothing while the Pens depth lit the Caps up. That's on Ovechkin?

19 of Ovechkin's 51 goals were PPGs this year. Coaches gameplan to player's strengths. Ovechkin's is to shoot. That's a problem? Ovie's game isn't selfish, at all, and has developed a lot over the past four years.

Just be honest. Say, "I don't like Ovechkin because of personal insecurities and biased assumptions." That's OK, you're entitled to that opinion, but stop trying to spout "facts" to support your argument. They're all wrong.

What's on Ovechkin is never being able to lift his team when it matters the most, he is the king at scoring points in garbage time but he's an absolute ghost at crunch time.For a decent amount of his time in Washington he's played on teams that others could only dream of... even last season, that was a beast team. He just hasn't been able to put them over the top, heck he hasn't even made the conference finals! For a supposed GOAT goalscorer that is not a one trick pony, and that played on some pretty good teams over the years, that is falling more than a little short...

Look, he is very good at shooting the puck but that is an inherently selfish skill and as you could see in the final 5 or so minutes in the Pens series when everything was on the line all Ovie did was shoot... repeatedly, over and over again, and straight into a Pens each and every time. No desire to change his game up and make an unpredictable move instead just relying on his predictable one-trick that gets shut down pretty easily when everyone can see it coming from a mile away. That's the total opposite of clutch.

Kolzilla

Sponsor
May 20, 2015
What's on Ovechkin is never being able to lift his team when it matters the most, he is the king at scoring points in garbage time but he's an absolute ghost at crunch time.For a decent amount of his time in Washington he's played on teams that others could only dream of... even last season, that was a beast team. He just hasn't been able to put them over the top, heck he hasn't even made the conference finals! For a supposed GOAT goalscorer that is not a one trick pony, and that played on some pretty good teams over the years, that is falling more than a little short...

Look, he is very good at shooting the puck but that is an inherently selfish skill and as you could see in the final 5 or so minutes in the Pens series when everything was on the line all Ovie did was shoot... repeatedly, over and over again, and straight into a Pens each and every time. No desire to change his game up and make an unpredictable move instead just relying on his predictable one-trick that gets shut down pretty easily when everyone can see it coming from a mile away. That's the total opposite of clutch.

So I guess he'd need to play goalie too and put up Holtby-like number to convince people that share this nonsensical opinion...:shakehead

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
He's been easily the best in the world at that one-dimension. Also, he's not that one-dimensional, it just is the most apparent.

Who still scored 50 goals last season. How he's been on the decline? I guess he'll decline in the next ten years, sure.

Ovechkin has performed quite well in the POs. For instance 0.98 PPG, 0.49 GPG. Compared to like Crosby's 1.10 / 0.4, Kane's 0.98 / 0.4, Malkin's 1.04 / 0.39, the numbers are there.

9.5 a year that covers rest of his most productive years isn't that bad.

I guess you would be the first one.

Some people just twist the arguments to fit their agenda...

Yes, he is the best in the world at that one dimension but below average in virtually all other dimensions. He's only gotten 'better' in recent years because he used to be absolutely brutal before, especially defensively.

If you want the clearest sign of his decline just look at his goal to assist ratio, 50 goals but only 21 assists? He wasn't even PPG last season... The guy now waits for the game to come to him most of the time, any neutral observer without Ovie blinkers on could tell you that there is a pretty big difference between the guy that you see in 2015-16 and the Ovie of 2010. He's become overly-reliant on his one trick as his other tools have decreased, it has maintained his goal ratio up but other parts of his game have clearly deteriorated.

His numbers are decent in the playoffs, but he's never come up clutch and has no post season defining moment. Never even led his team out of the 2nd round. And he's 31... Maybe it's his leadership that needs to be questioned, who knows, but it's clear that an Ovie-led team is simply not going to get it done at this point.

This article from last year is pretty damning, and I can only assume the pressure has mounted significantly for the only multiple hart winner in history to never experience any post season success: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/05/ale...made-conference-finals-hart-trophy-statistics

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
I'm not a Caps fan, but I watched the entire Pens-Caps series. The Caps outplayed the Pens majority of the series, the problem was the Caps couldn't find ways to score against Murray. Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Oshie all had a great series, however, what happened to lines 2-4? Kuznetzov their leading point scorer in the regular season was invisible, Mr. Clutch Justin Williams was M.I.A. and so was Mojo. This honestly was one of the best playoff performances by Ovie. He did everything in his power to help Washington succeed. Ovie's definitely nowhere near declining, he's still a 50 goal-scorer, and I'd take him on the Pens any day of the week. 50-goal scorers don't grow on trees.

Well, evidence points in the opposite direction... Ovie used to be PPG++ but nowdays can't even crack PPG. But regardless, the question is not would you take Ovie on the Pens, it's more would you take Ovie on the Pens at the expense of Crosby. Everyone would take Ovie on their team if nothing had to be given up, that's obviously a given.

Luca

Nov 22, 2006
I think that if Caps do not win cup next season they let Las Vegas take OV in expansion draft. Caps have themself spoken of two year window and after that OV is too old and expensive.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I'm thinking any realistic deal would require something along the lines of:

Two High-End Prospects
1st Round Pick
One good player with salary (we live in a salary cap world, money has to be considered)
One short term contract dump

Something like (not a proposal, just frame of reference, Leafs need their prospects at the moment):

Nylander
Marner
Komarov
Michalek or Robidas
2017 1st

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
I think that if Caps do not win cup next season they let Las Vegas take OV in expansion draft. Caps have themself spoken of two year window and after that OV is too old and expensive.

Unbelievable. Let him go for nothing huh? Glad you're not our GM

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014

For free? A 50 goal scorer for free?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

I guess you're right and everyone else is wrong. Carry on.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Yes, he is the best in the world at that one dimension but below average in virtually all other dimensions. He's only gotten 'better' in recent years because he used to be absolutely brutal before, especially defensively.

If you want the clearest sign of his decline just look at his goal to assist ratio, 50 goals but only 21 assists? He wasn't even PPG last season... The guy now waits for the game to come to him most of the time, any neutral observer without Ovie blinkers on could tell you that there is a pretty big difference between the guy that you see in 2015-16 and the Ovie of 2010. He's become overly-reliant on his one trick as his other tools have decreased, it has maintained his goal ratio up but other parts of his game have clearly deteriorated.

His numbers are decent in the playoffs, but he's never come up clutch and has no post season defining moment. Never even led his team out of the 2nd round. And he's 31... Maybe it's his leadership that needs to be questioned, who knows, but it's clear that an Ovie-led team is simply not going to get it done at this point.

This article from last year is pretty damning, and I can only assume the pressure has mounted significantly for the only multiple hart winner in history to never experience any post season success: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/05/ale...made-conference-finals-hart-trophy-statistics

Let me ask you a very straightforward question. Canada, and even the U.S. of late, often beat Russia in the Olympics and major international tournaments. Malkin plays on those teams. If the success of the Pens is predicated on players "stepping up" having a series - defining moment shouldn't any of that ability have translated to the international ice surface. The answer is an emphatic NO. Canada has had superior teams that no amount of talent in any individual was going to overcome, regardless of desire, leadership, or passion. Your opinion is wrong, ill-informed, and relies on a flawed interpretation of individual dominance that directly contradicts your own suggestion of team dynamics. Connor McDavid hasn't transformed the Oilers into more than a basement dweller and was summarily pedestrian in the WJC, i guess we can infer that he's a loser.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Let me ask you a very straightforward question. Canada, and even the U.S. of late, often beat Russia in the Olympics and major international tournaments. Malkin plays on those teams. If the success of the Pens is predicated on players "stepping up" having a series - defining moment shouldn't any of that ability have translated to the international ice surface. The answer is an emphatic NO. Canada has had superior teams that no amount of talent in any individual was going to overcome, regardless of desire, leadership, or passion. Your opinion is wrong, ill-informed, and relies on a flawed interpretation of individual dominance that directly contradicts your own suggestion of team dynamics. Connor McDavid hasn't transformed the Oilers into more than a basement dweller and was summarily pedestrian in the WJC, i guess we can infer that he's a loser.

Not the same ball game - there is no cap in international ice hockey and Canada is most often way too stacked in all 3-zones as you said. There are also no 7 game series, a big big difference. Comparing international ice hockey to the NHL is apples and oranges, saying otherwise is wrong and ill-informed.

PensRedwings2887

Dec 1, 2010
Well, evidence points in the opposite direction... Ovie used to be PPG++ but nowdays can't even crack PPG. But regardless, the question is not would you take Ovie on the Pens, it's more would you take Ovie on the Pens at the expense of Crosby. Everyone would take Ovie on their team if nothing had to be given up, that's obviously a given.

Would I take Ovie over Crosby? No. Over Malkin? Honestly yes, Malkins quite injury prone anymore and Ovie barely misses any games.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
He is a great player HOF and all of that but he doesn't realize that it's a team he's playing on, not by himself. Watching him is watching Blaine Stoughton, without question.

well I agree that ovchkin does FAR LESS than other similar skilled players to elevate his teammates... throwing Stoughton into this conversation is a bit assanine.

I would use a pavel bure or a kent nielson as better comparables.

ovechkin in terms of pure tools... is one of the top 20 most gifted players to ever play the game. an argument can be made for him top 5... and I would even listen to arguments for him as number 1

but we all know raw tools don't necessarily make for the greatest player. I mean vladamir rudizka had raw tools coming out of his ying yang... petr klima was usually the most skilled player on his team... phil kessel skates like mike modano and shoots like pat Lafontaine.

hell I remember derek sanderson saying that with his size/skating/hands that bob Sweeney should be a 40 goal scorer... and I agreed... but Sweeney had eye sight problems and an overall lack of hockey smarts.

martin Samuelsson when he was drafted... was a potential first overall pick that dropped to us at around 17... and then failed. word was he wouldn't stop smoking... wouldn't get in shape... wouldn't get his endurance up to nhl standards.

theres lots of different reasons why players fail. bryan fogerty had substance abuse problems but he was another world class talent that broke bobby orrs records.

ovechkin... has movie star persona. for better or worst, he likes his own press clippings. for better or worst he seems to believe hes bigger than the game.

is he coachable? his fans will say that he has agreed to switch wings... that he makes a better effort at defense...

does that mean hes coachable? do any of us think the coach wont be fired tomorrow if ovechkin says so?

no one is saying ovechkin isn't a great player... at least unless they are an idiot. ovehckin has the rare talent of being able to still dominate a game at 60% effort. not a lot of people have that ability. he can still be one of the best players on the ice at 40% effort

hes like joe thornton in this reguard. I remember joe back in boston when I watched every second of every game he played. and joe was often playing at 40-60% effort. and he was still damn good at 40-60% effort

the problem is... joe set an example. he was the leader. when he played 40% effort then his buddies also played 40%

the other guys on the team stunk when they were not giving it 100%

this is the problem steve yzerman had early in his career... another generational talent... yzerman could play selfish hockey and rack up 160 points. he wasn't coachable at this time of his career... and he didn't score 160 points every season. yzerman was often mailing it in because his team stunk and guys like this get discouraged when the team stinks.

id argue taylor hall has been going through this himself the last few years.

when these very highly skilled players don't get success... they often take it very hard. when their team isn't very good... and they apply themselves and fail... its often crushing to their ego

unless the guy disengages his compete level. if the guy... loses his competitive edge then he wont take losing to heart as much. hes still getting paid 6-9 million dollars. hes still scoring 50 goals or whatever...

we see this on so many teams that lose

and we see... these players often change as they get older... as winning gets more desperate to them... and often it happens after a trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad