Value of: Alexander Ovechkin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Your reading comprehension is severely lacking... I responded to a post that tried to use a ridiculous strawman comparing a skater to a position that is inherently one-dimensional. That guy would have been better served by using a better example to support his farcical supposition, though.

But again, just for kicks, Carey Price is known to be the leader of the team and a great team player. He is the calming force in that locker room, this has been said countless times. There's a reason why the team had its best start in history with Price in nets, but flamed into oblivion when he went down.

Carey Price also led his team further than Ovechkin ever has in the POs. Tell me again, who's behind?

Good to know you can't find a single quantifiable thing to suggest Carey Price is any better at any of the things in bold than the player you've now spent pages saying doesn't embody any of those quantities.

And to your last point, Price really defined that 4 games to 2 series loss to the Rangers, great reference, definitely a dominant postseason player. Just for clarity, Price's postseason record is sub-500 with a 0.912 Sv. Pct. and 2.62 GAA. By comparison, Holtby (0.937, 1.87) is far more clutch. But let's look a little closer. In the only head-to-head matchup between these two players in the post-season, the Canadiens thought Jaroslav Halak was more clutch than Carey Price (which proved to be true). All I can remember from Price in that series is this; https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mBlk2a44fUI.
Again, great team player, great leader.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
What would your team offer to have the great 8 in your lineup? What do you think he's worth?

Pittsburgh is probably the last team he'd go to but hypothetically I'd offer

Malkin
Pouliot
17' 1st

For

Ovechkin
Burakovsky

He is NOT being traded. FACE of the franchise, etc.

IF
the ? was seriously entertained, I would pay thru the nose to put him w/Kreider
McDonagh
Stepan
Brass
Buchnevich

for
Ovechkin
+ acceptable cap dumps

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Good to know you can't find a single quantifiable thing to suggest Carey Price is any better at any of the things in bold than the player you've now spent pages saying doesn't embody any of those quantities.

And to your last point, Price really defined that 4 games to 2 series loss to the Rangers, great reference, definitely a dominant postseason player. Just for clarity, Price's postseason record is sub-500 with a 0.912 Sv. Pct. and 2.62 GAA. By comparison, Holtby (0.937, 1.87) is far more clutch. But let's look a little closer. In the only head-to-head matchup between these two players in the post-season, the Canadiens thought Jaroslav Halak was more clutch than Carey Price (which proved to be true). All I can remember from Price in that series is this; https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mBlk2a44fUI.
Again, great team player, great leader.

As to your point #1, I did. You've chosen to ignore it.

As to your point #2, Carey Price was having a dominant post season until he was injured in game 1 vs the Rags. Kinda hard to have an impact when you can't be on the ice wouldn't ya say? :laugh:

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
As to your point #1, I did. You've chosen to ignore it.

As to your point #2, Carey Price was having a dominant post season until he was injured in game 1 vs the Rags. Kinda hard to have an impact when you can't be on the ice wouldn't ya say? :laugh:

You posted something quantifiable? I'm sorry, what was it? I would say that Price's presence or absence likely wouldn't have mattered, the Rangers were the better team. The single instance that Price has made it farther than OV in the playoffs (that he had anything at all to do with) and he was essentially a non-factor when it mattered, in the small world you've created in the first 6 odd pages of this thread, that's all that matters.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
You posted something quantifiable? I'm sorry, what was it? I would say that Price's presence or absence likely wouldn't have mattered, the Rangers were the better team. The single instance that Price has made it farther than OV in the playoffs (that he had anything at all to do with) and he was essentially a non-factor when it mattered, in the small world you've created in the first 6 odd pages of this thread, that's all that matters.

Habs record last season with and without Price. From best to worse with and without? Yes he has a very minimal impact indeed...

And do you seriously believe that his absence did not matter and the Habs performed exactly the same with Dustin freaking Tokarski back there? Really? :laugh:

I don't believe in comparing goalies to skaters, you're the one insisting on it. Yet the only truth in all of this is that Carey Price has managed to lead his team further than Alexander Ovechkin in the post season. Is that quantifiable enough for you?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
and Caps should trade Ovechkin while he still has value and get someone back for him that can take em past 2nd round....:laugh:

I'm not saying they shouldn't. They have to get a ton of value in return though. Ovechkin is coming off of another 50 goal season, Malkin is coming off another injury plagued one and an off season of recovery from surgery.

Pens have gotten everything from Malkin they are going to get, a smart GM, if not for the NTC, would move him and restock the cupboard.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008

IF
McDonagh
Stepan
Brass
Buchnevich

for
Ovechkin
+ acceptable cap dumps

Chasing aging stars is the reason NYR never wins anything, that's brutal for the Rangers.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Habs record last season with and without Price. From best to worse with and without? Yes he has a very minimal impact indeed...

And do you seriously believe that his absence did not matter and the Habs performed exactly the same with Dustin freaking Tokarski back there? Really? :laugh:

I don't believe in comparing goalies to skaters, you're the one insisting on it. Yet the only truth in all of this is that Carey Price has managed to lead his team further than Alexander Ovechkin in the post season. Is that quantifiable enough for you?

You just used a team statistic to illustrate individual performance. LET THAT SINK IN. The Canadiens W/L record with Price in and out of the lineup has a lot more to do with the team than it does with Carey Price, as the Capitals failings in the postseason have more to do with the Capitals than with Alex Ovechkin.

Also, I'm sorry but the Canadiens W/L record is not a direct measurement of Price's ability as a "leader of the team" "great team player" or "calming force in that locker room" all of which are abstract concepts, I can just as easily claim all those things about OV and point to the Capitals standings positions in the seasons before and after OV joined the team. If the Canadiens on- and off-ice issues this past season are any reflection, perhaps that team could use some better leadership. And how far the Canadiens made it in the post-season on one occasion (in which they still fell short) does not demonstrate that Price is more clutch than Ovechkin.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
What would your team offer to have the great 8 in your lineup? What do you think he's worth?

Pittsburgh is probably the last team he'd go to but hypothetically I'd offer

Malkin
Pouliot
17' 1st

For

Ovechkin
Burakovsky

I came into this thread thinking "this won't be a good read".

And I was right. Bunch of haters (lots of Pens fans, shocker!) versus some Caps fans allowing themselves to wallow in the mire.

Caps fans: exit the thread, there is no "winning here". Please. :help:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Chasing aging stars is the reason NYR never wins anything, that's brutal for the Rangers.

Fair enough, but
a) lesser offer probably doesn't do it
b) I'm getting Ovie for a good 5-6 seasons min, it's not like he's Chara, toast; and at RD or C, which is killer w/Kreider
c) it hurts, esp McDonagh, but on the other hand the only piece in the young core surrendered is Buchnevich.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Wow, then what's your take on E. Kane? Or does he get a pass for being a Sabre?

Cocky and overrated are two of the top 3 adjectives I'd use to describe him. The other rhymes with schmupid.

Pretty sure even Sabres fans hate Evander Kane for the most part. :laugh:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

IF
McDonagh
Stepan
Brass
Buchnevich

for
Ovechkin
+ acceptable cap dumps

So your #1C. Your #2C. Your #1D. Your best prospect. :laugh:

Way to gut your team.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
obviously im caps fan but where does all this talk of selfishness and poor leadership come from for Ovi. Are any of you in the locker rooms or involved in the practices and games? Its amazing to me how many posters put crap like that on here. So above a few posts its suggested Carey Price is a Known leader and team player. Who told you this, the montreal broadcast? Also I sure hope hes a team player being the freaking goalie. Habs would have a hard time with Price letting goals in on purpose or just not giving a **** every other game.

Maybe ovi isnt the best leader but how would you know? If the pens had lost to the caps would Crosby suddenly be a poor leader because he was putrid in the series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad