Prospect Info: Alexander Gordin (Signed KHL 2024-2025 1 year, 2 way)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It depends how much he really wants it. If he put on the work and dedicate to improve his skating he could have a chance in the NHL otherwise I don't see much of a future.

so far at least in the MHL I would be surprised as he spends way too much time just standing there or barely moving, other times he coasts way too much. But he could be bored with the level of play after being 2nd in the league in goals. Hopefully he'll be back in the VHL soon and stay there for more of a challenge.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Getting to know Montreal Canadiens 170th overall selection Alexander Gordin
Gordin suffers from the typical issues that affect most MHL players. First is the lack of pace... There's a distinctive absence of defensive and forechecking pressure in the Russian lower leagues. Players have a ton of space to execute plays in transition and Gordin definitely uses that to his advantage, sometimes even further slowing down the tempo to widen his gap with defenders. It’s a bad habit that can be hard to shake.

Second, Gordin’s skating ability needs work. His stride is heavy. He doesn’t skim and float on the ice surface as much as he pounds it. He skates upright, doesn’t achieve full extension and lands on his inside edges. His lack of speed and explosiveness also further exacerbates the pace issues...

So how did the Russian forward score? By outsmarting everyone else...

He works around his suboptimal skating form by constantly using teammates for give-and-gos, one-touching pucks to them on breakouts to move it out of the zone before activating as a trailing forward. When he's forced to carry the puck up himself, Gordin relies on his ability to freeze opponents. Above all else, the ability to manipulate defenders is what makes Gordin effective
Due to his frame and this above-average feel for defensive pressure, the forward also protects the puck well; he keeps defenders on his back, handles with one hand to keep them away with the other one, and cuts away when he senses a pokecheck coming. A lot of Gordin’s offence comes from rolling off defenders on the walls to attack the slot. The forward is confident and willing to take on multiple opponents to get to a shooting spot — where he's at his most dangerous...

Gordin scored 39 goals last season... He made short work of goalies with a deceptive wrist shot off either leg and from a variety of puck position. But more than his firing ability, the MHLer collected goals by anticipating passing and jumping in to one-touch pucks into the net.

Reactions: kevsavard95

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Seriously all he needs to do is improve his skating to decent level and he will be at the very least a secondary scorer/PP monster in the NHL. I can live with him not playing D.

His IQ is high, as @ahmedou has posted, and he has been forced to be a high skill, high awareness player to compensate for his lousy footspeed. There's not much concern for me other than him keeping pace with the game. What can the Habs do to ensure he gets all the help he needs?

Do we expect him to be a late bloomer NHL-wise, maybe coming over later?

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Seriously all he needs to do is improve his skating to decent level and he will be at the very least a secondary scorer/PP monster in the NHL. I can live with him not playing D.

His IQ is high, as @ahmedou has posted, and he has been forced to be a high skill, high awareness player to compensate for his lousy footspeed. There's not much concern for me other than him keeping pace with the game. What can the Habs do to ensure he gets all the help he needs?

would it make sense bringing him over sooner? more resources to improve his skating maybe? would be a shame if he never improves that area. hopefully the kid has a will to get better. gotta be a massive long shot. but at least it's a skilled one

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

he's got a lot of work to do before we are talking NHL imo.

Maxime Tremblay

Aug 8, 2019
Montréal
for me we should sign Gordin and send him to Laval. He will play with Khisatmutdinov and I am sure that Bouchard will develop him into a good hockey player.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
for me we should sign Gordin and send him to Laval. He will play with Khisatmutdinov and I am sure that Bouchard will develop him into a good hockey player.

Depends when Gordin's contract in the KHL ends.

Khisamutdinov was signed as soon as his contract in Russia ended. When they drafted Arsen, he only had one year left on his KHL contract.

I don't know if anyone knows where to find out if Gordin will still be under contract for next year or more.

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
Depends when Gordin's contract in the KHL ends.

Khisamutdinov was signed as soon as his contract in Russia ended. When they drafted Arsen, he only had one year left on his KHL contract.

I don't know if anyone knows where to find out to find out if Gordin will still be under contract for next year or more.
He's under contract until April 2022.

Arsen is a much better skater, with similar hands if not better, and much more intense on the forecheck. Gordin has a better release all around but not much else. Like @montreal mentioned he needs a ton more work before we start penciling him in Laval let alone Montreal.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
That skating has to seriously improve if he ever wants to be a part of a NHL lineup.

The same was said of so many snipers though. Luc Robitaille comes to mind immediately.

With bad skating snipers you throw them against tougher and tougher competition and see if they can still deliver. Total crapshoot.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
The same was said of so many snipers though. Luc Robitaille comes to mind immediately.

With bad skating snipers you throw them against tougher and tougher competition and see if they can still deliver. Total crapshoot.

Not sure Robitaille would have the same success in today's faster league. Would still be good, but not as good IMO.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Not sure Robitaille would have the same success in today's faster league. Would still be good, but not as good IMO.

"Today's faster league" is today; what will it be in 7 years? Trends come and go. An intimidating team on the slow-side will win the cup, generating copycats, and the game will change again.

Reactions: Dutronc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad