Prospect Info: Alexander Gordin (Signed KHL 2024-2025 1 year, 2 way)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
SKA-1946 is playing their first game in a week tomorrow morning (6AM ET).

The only way I can tell so far to know if Gordin is in the VHL or not is on his profile page on KHL's official website.

They always show SKA-1946 as his team. But when he was in the VHL this past week, underneath "SKA-1946" they write "currently with SKA-Neva."

Looking at his profile page today, it no longer lists him as being with SKA-Neva, so he was surely sent back to the MHL. Even when he was in the VHL this past week, he didn't play in any games.

Reactions: Chr1s97

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
"Today's faster league" is today; what will it be in 7 years? Trends come and go. An intimidating team on the slow-side will win the cup, generating copycats, and the game will change again.

Speed is not a trend......it has been steadily improving for decades as training, coaching and nutrition evolve

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Speed is not a trend......it has been steadily improving for decades as training, coaching and nutrition evolve

Meh. Speed has always been one of the most important attribute in ice hockey, regardless of the evolution of nutrition (I find it immensely silly to think nutrition will make you a faster skater, when most active players couldn't hold Guy Lafleur's jockstrap in a race even in his 70's pair of skates with a cigarette in his mouth).

Speed has always been a constant in hockey, starting from the 1890's. Not the 1990's, the 1890's. Along with speed, two other major attributes were physicality/violence/toughness, and traditional snipers (players with a great shot and a knack for always finding the hole, but often useless in most other facets of the game (but not necessarily).

This is my point: Speed, violence and sharpshooters were always part of hockey history. And sharpshooters were not always the best of skaters. Thinking this prototype will disappear because of the "new trend" of the last few years is a mistake IMO.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Meh. Speed has always been one of the most important attribute in ice hockey, regardless of the evolution of nutrition (I find it immensely silly to think nutrition will make you a faster skater, when most active players couldn't hold Guy Lafleur's jockstrap in a race even in his 70's pair of skates with a cigarette in his mouth).

Speed has always been a constant in hockey, starting from the 1890's. Not the 1990's, the 1890's. Along with speed, two other major attributes were physicality/violence/toughness, and traditional snipers (players with a great shot and a knack for always finding the hole, but often useless in most other facets of the game (but not necessarily).

This is my point: Speed, violence and sharpshooters were always part of hockey history. And sharpshooters were not always the best of skaters. Thinking this prototype will disappear because of the "new trend" of the last few years is a mistake IMO.

You are grossly underestimating how slow the average players were in previous eras.

Calling speed a constant in hockey is nothing short of asinine. Just ask these oldtimers about today's game and they will all say that the game is much faster. There are plenty of big names from the past that either could not play in today's game or their effectiveness would be greatly diminished. Luc Robitaille would be lucky to ever touch 30 goals in today's game.

The game has evolved to the point where guys who are considered average today would be burners in previous eras. It used to be that most players were poor skaters and for the minority that could really skate it was a huge advantage.

Reactions: DAChampion

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Gordin has been called back up to the VHL (think AHL). His VHL team plays tomorrow, not sure why he was called up this time as last time his team was off for a week but that's not the case now since his MHL team plays on the 3rd. Hopefully this time he plays though.

here's his journey so far this season,

starts out in the VHL, plays 4 games,
goes to the KHL, plays 1 game,
goes back to the VHL, plays 2 games,
goes down to the MHL, plays 6 games,
goes back up to the VHL for a week but doesn't play
goes back down to the MHL for 2 games
goes back up to the VHL....

all that in less then 2 months, I'm surprised he doesn't get mixed up on what jersey to wear.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Gordin has been called back up to the VHL (think AHL). His VHL team plays tomorrow, not sure why he was called up this time as last time his team was off for a week but that's not the case now since his MHL team plays on the 3rd. Hopefully this time he plays though.

here's his journey so far this season,

starts out in the VHL, plays 4 games,
goes to the KHL, plays 1 game,
goes back to the VHL, plays 2 games,
goes down to the MHL, plays 6 games,
goes back up to the VHL for a week but doesn't play
goes back down to the MHL for 2 games
goes back up to the VHL....

all that in less then 2 months, I'm surprised he doesn't get mixed up on what jersey to wear.

Insane.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I get the feeling a lot of KHL teams makes it harder for NHL prospects. Hell, the same team is actively trying to screw with Podkolzin by playing him 4minutes/game in the KHL.

Yeah it’s very strange. What amazes me is that the point is to win the game. If a young player can help they can help.

Reactions: DAChampion

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What is the point? Seems weird to treat a young player like that

I'm assuming they value the culture and experience in practice with learning systems. And he gets more money on higher leagues right? Like AHL vs NHL games on 2 way contracts? Is it the same like that in Russia? Assuming so

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yeah it’s very strange. What amazes me is that the point is to win the game. If a young player can help they can help.

I'm assuming they value the culture and experience in practice with learning systems. And he gets more money on higher leagues right? Like AHL vs NHL games on 2 way contracts? Is it the same like that in Russia? Assuming so

KHL teams are known to be very bitter if young players express NHL interest.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
KHL teams are known to be very bitter if young players express NHL interest.

True and I don't blame them. Imagine if the shoe was on the other foot and our talent was sucked away to Russia all the time? Anyways, he's a 6th round pick this past draft and has he talked NHL this early? I think they are calling him up and moving him all over to test him more than punish him. That's how it looks to me but I don't have insider info

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Gordin is not in the line-up again for SKA-Neva. We'll see if he will be with SKA-1946 as they're also playing today. Although his KHL profile still has him currently in the VHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad