Prospect Info: Alexander Gordin (Signed KHL 2024-2025 1 year, 2 way)

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
The same was said of so many snipers though. Luc Robitaille comes to mind immediately.

With bad skating snipers you throw them against tougher and tougher competition and see if they can still deliver. Total crapshoot.

Different era by a mile. Tim Kerr also looked incredible. Charlie Simmer was unbelievable. None of those guys survive in this present era with the same type of skating.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
"Today's faster league" is today; what will it be in 7 years? Trends come and go. An intimidating team on the slow-side will win the cup, generating copycats, and the game will change again.

No they don't. It will never go back at being violent again with tons of brawls and fights based on what we know about damages to the brain. It will also never go back at the hooking era. Where it mattered less about how fast you were skating as you were being held up all the time. Hockey will always be about being fast from now on.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
No they don't. It will never go back at being violent again with tons of brawls and fights based on what we know about damages to the brain. It will also never go back at the hooking era. Where it mattered less about how fast you were skating as you were being held up all the time. Hockey will always be about being fast from now on.

I guess I just disagree with you, so no point in dragging this into a debate. I think it's gonna go back as soon as someone (or some team) sense it's to their advantage to use such methods to gain glory, money, fame, victory, whatever.

Reactions: Acadien86

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
I guess I just disagree with you, so no point in dragging this into a debate. I think it's gonna go back as soon as someone (or some team) sense it's to their advantage to use such methods to gain glory, money, fame, victory, whatever.

Capitals and the Blues are two tough physical teams not necessarly known for their speed. It sure served them well at the end of the grind in the last 2 full seasons. The speed will always be a notch higher than it was. Physicality will always be important, especially deep in the playoffs.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
Capitals and the Blues are two tough physical teams not necessarly known for their speed. It sure served them well at the end of the grind in the last 2 full seasons. The speed will always be a notch higher than it was. Physicality will always be important, especially deep in the playoffs.
Absolutely. Big boy hockey is always needed in the playoffs.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

A debate is what usually happens in a forum. Just to be sure...so a team will start using slower players in order to gain glory, money, fame, victory or whatever? Geez, there are today leagues that are actually living by the violence of their league...that has to tone it down because nowadays all those brawls and fights are on the net and aren't accepted as it used to be. You think that they'll really going to bring back brawls? Or hooking?

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
His skating isn't that bad. His first steps aren't the quickest but he'll frequently get to pucks first. However, he needs to do less "gliding".

If he gets to play in the VHL, hopefully, SKA also sends other decent players there cause right now there isn't much offensive talent at that level (I'm not sure SKA's VHL team is actually much better than its MHL team).

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
His skating isn't that bad. His first steps aren't the quickest but he'll frequently get to pucks first. However, he needs to do less "gliding".

If he gets to play in the VHL, hopefully, SKA also sends other decent players there cause right now there isn't much offensive talent at that level (I'm not sure SKA's VHL team is actually much better than its MHL team).

I don't know enough about the MHL and VHL since Habs haven't had many prospects in those leagues to where I would put a lot of my focus on.

But SKA-Neva (VHL team) has 3 wins in 11 games and currently sit outside of the playoffs. They're 21st out of 26 teams. The 16 top teams make the playoffs.

However SKA-1946 (MHL team) is in the playoff picture now. They're in 7th place of the Western Conference.

But either way, I think the VHL is where he should be, because it will also help challenge him more and he will have to work harder for his points.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB

His speed is rather average, but his stride is powerful- when he uses it. He has a broad stance and while you can catch *him*, stripping the puck off him is a whole other ordeal. And lord have mercy if you're infront of the guy.

He does glide a lot without the puck, I agree there.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
SKA-1946 isn't playing for another week. Next game is next Wednesday.

In the meantime, SKA-Neva (VHL) has 3 games in between. It'll be curious if they call him up for a game or two.

At this point, I'd be surprised, but it would be good.

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
SKA-1946 isn't playing for another week. Next game is next Wednesday.

In the meantime, SKA-Neva (VHL) has 3 games in between. It'll be curious if they call him up for a game or two.

At this point, I'd be surprised, but it would be good.

He will likely get some more KHL time this year if they need extra players. If he does, don't expect much production as he will get 5 mins of ice-time or less.

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
Possible. But before I think KHL for him, I'd rather see him in VHL first.

I'm just talking about how teams manage their rosters. VHL players are unlikely to get called up to the KHL, so usually, it will be MHL players. If they put Gordin in the VHL, they will likely do it so he spends the rest of the season there.

Just like they sent Kirill Marchenko to play in the MHL this year (when they could have sent him to the VHL). Since Gordin is eligible to play in the MHL and their VHL team is bottom of the league, there's a good chance they keep him in the MHL to win there unless they need him in the KHL. Hard to tell, but rosters aren't managed like here (teams won't necessarily put their best players in the VHL over the MHL).

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Add Tampa to that list. Swept last year with a super soft, speedy team, they added Coleman, Maroon, Goodrow, and Schenn etc. to add a lot more grit to their lineup and insulate their star players who are smaller, and speedy.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I hope he does stay but there was talk they might move him up since his MHL team was off for a week or so.

I mentioned it in an earlier post when I realized that the MHL team was off for a week and the VHL team had three games in between. It does look like they brought him up as I hoped. However, he hasn't played in any of the games. SKA-1946 plays Wednesday again. So we'll see if they send him back down again.

Podkolzin was sent down to Neva from the KHL and is playing in his first VHL game this year. So maybe that pushed others down the line-up and eventually pushed Gordin to be a scratch.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I mentioned it in an earlier post when I realized that the MHL team was off for a week and the VHL team had three games in between. It does look like they brought him up as I hoped. However, he hasn't played in any of the games. SKA-1946 plays Wednesday again. So we'll see if they send him back down again.

Podkolzin was sent down to Neva from the KHL and is playing in his first VHL game this year. So maybe that pushed others down the line-up and eventually pushed Gordin to be a scratch.

i didn't see that, I did look up Gordin on the VHL site so i'll keep looking. But it's why having prospects develop in Russia is tough, his TOI in his 6 VHL games are all over the place. Starts out between over 16 to under 18 mins then drops way down, goes back up, then he scores 2 goals and his only points but in the lowest TOI at just over 7 mins. But nothing we can do about it, just hope he can work on things as much like Khisamutdinov these guys are major long shots anyway.

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
Would he be eligible to play in AHL whenever it starts? Seems like a better option instead of being too good for MHL and sporadic ice time in VHL. Would also get used to NA rink and get good development from Bouchard.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Would he be eligible to play in AHL whenever it starts? Seems like a better option instead of being too good for MHL and sporadic ice time in VHL. Would also get used to NA rink and get good development from Bouchard.

He is under contract in Russia until April 2022, so he won't be able to come over before then. Since the KHL and NHL don't have a player transfer agreement, players can't come over unless they're free agents in Russia.

Reactions: Pacciosoftie

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

he would have to buy out the remaining years of his contract with SKA and then you have to wait a year to leave. The only other way is if his club released him to allow him to come over but that would seem unlikely to happen.

Could he be promoted to KHL ?

he played 1 game in the KHL this year so far.

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
he would have to buy out the remaining years of his contract with SKA and then you have to wait a year to leave. The only other way is if his club released him to allow him to come over but that would seem unlikely to happen.

he played 1 game in the KHL this year so far.
Thanks. Just seems like they don’t favour proper development of young players that were drafted. Makes sense knowing they will lose these players but still.

Reactions: montreal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad