Prospect Info: Alexander Gordin (Signed KHL 2024-2025 1 year, 2 way)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Was this an MHL game? I'm confused on which league he's playing in?

It does get confusing sometimes because I don't know a website where they announce transactions in the KHL/VHL/MHL. So at times, it's hard to keep track of a player being sent down to the MHL or called up to the KHL.

Reactions: Garnet76

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Really hoping he's not just a one trick pony. It gives me confidence that he's in the SKA system and that he's worn a C as well.

SKA usually has an insane MHL team (better than most CHL teams), but this year it will be an especially fun team to follow. Aside from Gordin they have:

Matvei Mitchkov - Best Russian prospect since Ovechkin
Marat Khusnutdinov - early 2nd rounder in 2020
Nikita Chibrikov - 1st/2nd rounder in 2021
Yegor Spiridonov - 4th round in 2019
Kirill Marchenko - 2nd round 2018

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I wonder what the plan is for him especially if he spends more time in the MHL as he's already crushed that league at 18, he just turned 19 a little over 2 months ago. I don't see what his contract status is with SKA but I wonder if he's not under contract with them next year would they look to bring him to Laval as a 20 year old so they have more control over his development. With Romanov and Khisamutdinov under contract for the '21-'22 season he would have them around to help him.

Now if he ends up playing mostly VHL and some KHL maybe they wouldn't be as concerned about bringing him over next year so I guess we'll see. I know last summer Timmins or MB said the plan was to bring over Khisamutdinov, but since we didn't hear anything, which is likely a smart thing cause he's younger and has a shot at the WJC's so you don't want to make it look like he's a goner for sure.

Reactions: DAChampion

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
I wonder what the plan is for him especially if he spends more time in the MHL as he's already crushed that league at 18, he just turned 19 a little over 2 months ago. I don't see what his contract status is with SKA but I wonder if he's not under contract with them next year would they look to bring him to Laval as a 20 year old so they have more control over his development. With Romanov and Khisamutdinov under contract for the '21-'22 season he would have them around to help him.

Now if he ends up playing mostly VHL and some KHL maybe they wouldn't be as concerned about bringing him over next year so I guess we'll see. I know last summer Timmins or MB said the plan was to bring over Khisamutdinov, but since we didn't hear anything, which is likely a smart thing cause he's younger and has a shot at the WJC's so you don't want to make it look like he's a goner for sure.

I'm no expert, but I think I rather let him develop in Russia. Leave it to him to impress and play in the VHL or KHL.

I don't want to repeat the Avtsin scenario again. Granted the headcoaches Avitsn had in Hamilton were Cunneyworth, Jodoin and Lefebvre during his 3 seasons and so there wasn't any stability. He might develop well with Bouchard but I rather not risk it.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm no expert, but I think I rather let him develop in Russia. Leave it to him to impress and play in the VHL or KHL.

I don't want to repeat the Avtsin scenario again. Granted the headcoaches Avitsn had in Hamilton were Cunneyworth, Jodoin and Lefebvre during his 3 seasons and so there wasn't any stability. He might develop well with Bouchard but I rather not risk it.

For sure you don't want to bring any prospect over too soon, but Avtsin was 19 when he came over. Bouchard has been very impressive with the young guys and my point was more about if Gordin plays mostly in the junior league, which is not ideal since he already dominated in that league at 18 but in Russia with NHL drafted prospects especially they aren't going to care about said prospects development since they know they will be leaving for North America at some point.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Gordin with 0+1 through 2 periods so far. It's an 8-0 blowout though, so points are kind of irrelevant- but I'd say he's been the best player not on SKA's stupid good top line.

There was one shift he picked up the puck in the corner, brought it up the wall, protecting it, into the middle, over to a teammate who fanned on the prime one-timer. He then goes, gets the puck back, does the same thing on the other side of the ice, only instead of passing he runs into an Amur player. Just flattens him, and keeps going.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Gordin with 0+1 through 2 periods so far. It's an 8-0 blowout though, so points are kind of irrelevant- but I'd say he's been the best player not on SKA's stupid good top line.

There was one shift he picked up the puck in the corner, brought it up the wall, protecting it, into the middle, over to a teammate who fanned on the prime one-timer. He then goes, gets the puck back, does the same thing on the other side of the ice, only instead of passing he runs into an Amur player. Just flattens him, and keeps going.
Just added a nice goal. Got the puck behind the net and powered himself and the puck out infront and around the goalie on a wraparound-ish goal.

I don't like seeing a player with his size, strength, and skill level at this level- it's too easy for him to rely only on the first two to succeed.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
His feet wont get quicker though, maybe his skating isnt good enough for the VHL right now, will need some intensive power skating lessons to amount to a legit prospect... Has some real skills and strength though, looks like a tank at times...

At that rank, he was probably a decent dart guess...

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
His feet wont get quicker though, maybe his skating isnt good enough for the VHL right now, will need some intensive power skating lessons to amount to a legit prospect... Has some real skills and strength though, looks like a tank at times...
It depends how much he really wants it. If he put on the work and dedicate to improve his skating he could have a chance in the NHL otherwise I don't see much of a future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad