Prospect Info: Alexander Gordin (Signed KHL 2024-2025 1 year, 2 way)

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
He doesn't just have a good shot. His hands are great so his puck skills are above average. While he tends to shoot first, he also has a good ice vision and is an above average playmaker. He lacks small areas quickness but his top end speed is pretty good. He can hit like a truck but usually doesn't play physical. He can be lazy on the backcheck.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He doesn't just have a good shot. His hands are great so his puck skills are above average. While he tends to shoot first, he also has a good ice vision and is an above average playmaker. He lacks small areas quickness but his top end speed is pretty good. He can hit like a truck but usually doesn't play physical. He can be lazy on the backcheck.

Bobby ryan?

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
Pierre Dagenais anyone?

He's not slow and his playstyle isn't like Dagenais. He's not afraid to go into the corners and he won't shy away from a hit. However, he uses his stick more than his size in general.

He's hard to compare to a current NHLer. Mostly because he needs to play with more pace to play in the NHL. I could see him becoming a 25-25 player if he can quicken the pace a bit.

Reactions: jaffy27

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He's one of those players where I believe coming to North America too soon ruined his career.

He got 9 points in 30 games at 18 in the KHL. Comes to AHL goes back and suddenly not even good enough for KHL until last year.
LeFebvre mishandled him badly. I remember watching him play and noticing the undeniable skill set.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
A lot of positive things have been written about him. How did he fall to the 6th round?

He's not even short, he's 6'1.

Reactions: jaffy27

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Thought the same lol.

And we all know that Avtsin is Ovechkin-lite

If, like Avtsin, we start hearing some hype and thinking he may become something, then it may be a pretty good 6th rounder, even if he doesn't end up making it in the end.

In Avtsin's case, I believe the fact that our prospects cupboard were so bare made him look more attractive than he really was.

Revansky

Mar 17, 2013
Montreal
A lot of positive things have been written about him. How did he fall to the 6th round?

He's not even short, he's 6'1.

From what I read, not always putting a consistent effort and some question his ability to play at a higher pace

Like the fact he's playing khl/vhl, he's surely going to be able to play a full season at good level. Hope he will continue to produce

Last edited:
Reactions: DAChampion

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Timmins-PressConference(20/10/07):Gordin
“This guy is a big Russian winger. A pure sniper and natural goal scorer...”
“He plays for SKA St Petersburg. And we're hoping he's got a shot to make the world junior team this year. And hopefully you guys will be able to see him play there.”

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
If, like Avtsin, we start hearing some hype and thinking he may become something, then it may be a pretty good 6th rounder, even if he doesn't end up making it in the end.

In Avtsin's case, I believe the fact that our prospects cupboard were so bare made him look more attractive than he really was.

Avtsin had better numbers than Ovechkin had at the same age and league I believe? That's when the hype came up. The number of times that I saw comparison between our draftees and some higher profiles draftees.. our players never came up to be good enough for the league even though they had so much better numbers than other players.

Wasn't Vejdemo hyped like crazy on here? And Nygren (or Norlinder now)?

Feels like I'm gonna wait and see.

Reactions: Frank JT

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I did check his SOGs, he had 187 in 78 which is not that much for a guy with that many goals. Brown might be onto something here.

Okay. I get it. His shot totals aren't as high as you'd want it for a player with his kind of goal scoring touch. I also imagine that the higher levels he goes, he won't shoot as much as he did at lower levels. But I guess once he will get more comfortable at those levels, the goal scoring will come.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

HespelerGreenFlash

Dec 20, 2007
I wouldnt pass if I was him either. I know who Im passing to cant shoot like me, so......let er rip!!

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Whats is interessting. Chinakhov. The guy who columbus selected in the first round. 69pts in the mhl at 18 years old. Gordin in the same league (mhl). 68 pts at 19 years old. Do I miss something? Lol. Both should play in the KHL this year

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
So a captain, with decent size, lots of skill and goalscoring ability, and an opportunity to play WJC?

I mean, that's a pretty sweet 6th round pick.

Reactions: Frank JT

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
I know it's just stat-watching...

One 19 year old MHL prospect scored 27-42-69 in 56 games, leading his team by 6.

Another scored 39-29-68 in 59 games, leading his team by 17.

First is Chinakhov, Jackets 1st round pick. 2nd is Gordin, Habs 6th rounder, who also happens to be 5 months younger.

Again, just stat-watching, but I love that the Habs swung for the fences with their 6th rounder!

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
So a captain, with decent size, lots of skill and goalscoring ability, and an opportunity to play WJC?

I mean, that's a pretty sweet 6th round pick.
This the type of late rounders I'd love to see. Probably won't end up anything but if right development happens you might have that next late round Euro gem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad