GDT: Devils Sabres in Prague Game 1, 1 p.m. EDT, 7 p.m CEST

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
No, that’s real. They had more takeaways than Jersey, a fewer turnovers, fairly close in hits. They didn’t have a competent first line. I would also add Quinn and JJ to my where the f*** were they today.
They didn’t win puck battles as a team. That’s the short and long of it to me. The scoring would come easily if they could win those.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
Who was more to blame on the first goal?

Zuckbotka or Samuelainen?

Seeing NJ win seemingly every puck battle for the first half of the game quickly sapped my preseason enthusiasm.

Is it too early for a player's only "punch em in the face" meeting?

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Nope. Not until they can string together a decent number of well played games in a row.

At this point, the top 6 and top 4 need to prove they can truly compete consistently in the NHL.
It was a joke about how flip floppy the board is

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Thompson and Tuch were our worst forwards IMO, which isn’t ideal when they make up 2/3 of the top line. Maybe it’s overreacting, but if I were Lindy I would bench one or both and give Kulich or Krebs a look.

Are going to make guys earn their ice time, or are they still singing Kumbaya around the campfire?
Lack of competition is one of the things I was worried about with this European trip.

This group needed a kick in the ass from the start of camp with depth players nipping at the heels of the starters from then onward.

But the European trip changed the training camp approach. They split into two groups. One guaranteed to go to Europe and then the rest. They also had the lines already set before camp even started and they weren’t changing.

I don’t know how much things would have changed, if at all, with who ultimately made the roster or even the lines/pairs. But we may have at least seen some tweaks to the lines/pairs with more time to experiment.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Lack of competition is one of the things I was worried about with this European trip.

This group needed a kick in the ass from the start of camp with depth players nipping at the heels of the starters from then onward.

But the European trip changed the training camp approach. They split into two groups. One guaranteed to go to Europe and then the rest. They also had the lines already set before camp even started and they weren’t changing.

I don’t know how much things would have changed, if at all, with who ultimately made the roster or even the lines/pairs. But we may have at least seen some tweaks to the lines/pairs with more time to experiment.
I would add that having a fuller camp where the not yet established players see the depth at the team's disposal is a good reality check. But everyone was anointed reducing pressure to perform.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
For a team that fired their recent head coach due to their lack of preparation and starting slow/inconsistently, it’s not a good first impression to start your season off with a performance like that. You would expect them to at least come out like a team on a mission prepared and ready to go. At the very least.

Its only one game and that’s all we can go off, but that’s not how we make friends Lindy and the 2024 Sabres.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad