Prospect Info: Alexander Gordin (Signed KHL 2024-2025 1 year, 2 way)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Is Gordin a legit prospect?

Still has things to work on. Particularly his skating. The guy does have a skillset that is hard to come by, scoring goals.

Although he's doing this in the Junior league in Russia (which isn't necessarily a bad thing since he is Junior aged). But I would like to see him do this at a higher level. There is no rush here. He is under contract until April 2022. So he won't be here before then.

So the hope is if he stays in the junior league all year this year, he moves up to the next level next year.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Still has things to work on. Particularly his skating. The guy does have a skillset that is hard to come by, scoring goals.

Although he's doing this in the Junior league in Russia (which isn't necessarily a bad thing since he is Junior aged). But I would like to see him do this at a higher level. There is no rush here. He is under contract until April 2022. So he won't be here before then.

So the hope is if he stays in the junior league all year this year, he moves up to the next level next year.
Thanks, it is harder to see Euro prospects than CHL prospects.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I can't say i'm a fan as his skating is not good and he needs to move his feet way more. I actually like Khisamutdinov a little more, he doesn't have as good of a shot but skates better and is much more involved physically to the point he can be a bit dirty at times.

I'm no expert but if I read the reports right he's pretty much not a prospect unless he fundamentally changes his skating. Not sure how many players manage to do that but it's less likely with every year.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Nice to see him playing on a regular basis compared to our CHL prospects. Hopefully he continues to develop and can take the next step

Just saw this write-up in Habsworld Prospect Rankings
2020-21 HabsWorld Prospect Rankings: 31-38

34) Alexander Gordin

Right Wing, St. Petersburg (MHL)
6th round pick (171st overall) in 2020
This is another situation where the Habs focused on one particular skill with the rest of his game ranging from relatively quiet to underwhelming. The difference between Gordin and Verbeek is that the former’s skill is goal scoring, an element that’s a lot harder to come by than speed. If you’re going to draft a player that’s a one-trick pony so to speak, that’s the skill to target.
Having said that, it’s telling that he hasn’t been able to really establish himself past Russia’s junior league, even as a player that went in his second year of eligibility. Gordin hasn’t moved up much this year either aside from a handful of games. He’s not also dominating as much as he was last season which isn’t necessarily cause for immediate concern but it is still notable.
I liked the pick then and I still do now but it’s clear that Gordin is more of a long-term project than someone that should be counted on to make a mark in North America sooner than later. He has another year left on his deal in Russia after this one and it’s quite possible that he’ll need more time after that.
2019-20 Stats: 59 GP, 39-29-68, +26 rating, 59 PIMS
Previous HW Ranking: N/A
NHL ETA: 2023-24/2024-25 – Gordin will need a couple more years in Russia by the looks of it before being ready to make the jump to North America and at this point, it’s hard to imagine he’ll go straight to the NHL. A year or two in Laval adapting to the smaller rinks and higher pace would be beneficial.

Last edited:

Sherwoo9

Jul 17, 2018
Isn’t the MHL the junior league under de VHL? If Gordin, drafted as an overager is indeed still playing there this year it is no good sign, no?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Isn’t the MHL the junior league under de VHL? If Gordin, drafted as an overager is indeed still playing there this year it is no good sign, no?

MHL is their junior league.

VHL is their AHL.

If Gordin plays in MHL again this year, it's definitely not a good sign.

He should be at least in the VHL and hopefully he gets more KHL games this year.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Wonder if Olofsson can give more... also agree about Gordin, really hope he can adapt against better opposition.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Gordin was not among the 23 forwards listed for the SKA training camp, I'm guessing we should expect him to be with the VHL group.

My guess, too. Because from what I've seen, he hasn't played any of the pre-season games for SKA-1946.

From August 17th to 21st, there will be a VHL pre-season tournament that will have SKA-Neva and Khimik involved. So I imagine we'll have Gordin with Neva and Kostenko with Khimik.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
There's really not much more he could do at the MHL level. Going back there would be real depressing.

Work on his skating?

Could he devote a lot of time outside of games and practices to skating, skating, skating and more skating training? He wouldn't have to worry about tiring himself out, since he'll do fine at a lower level. And of course what's most important is what's best for him long term. He needs to improve his skating.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
SKA-Neva are playing Khimik right now in a preseason tournament game.

But neither Gordin nor Kostenko are in the line-up.

Also, Spartak Moscow is playing a preseason game, and Kostenko isn't playing there either. So have to guess he's off with Russia for the 4-Nations Tournament.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
SKA-Neva are playing Khimik right now in a preseason tournament game.

But neither Gordin nor Kostenko are in the line-up.

Also, Spartak Moscow is playing a preseason game, and Kostenko isn't playing there either. So have to guess he's off with Russia for the 4-Nations Tournament.

i turned the game on hoping Gordin would be playing again as I didn't get to see yesterdays game where he was listed as the 3rd line RW. Really hoping he can stick in the VHL but fear he will see more time in the MHL ala Khisamutdinov

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
i turned the game on hoping Gordin would be playing again as I didn't get to see yesterdays game where he was listed as the 3rd line RW. Really hoping he can stick in the VHL but fear he will see more time in the MHL ala Khisamutdinov

I agree. You want to see him stick around the VHL because if he returns in the MHL, it will be a disappointment, even if he would put up crazy numbers there.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Curius, why was the post moved from the Prospects thread to the Gordin one? I was talking about two prospects in this post (Gordin and Kostenko).

since there was no news on either player, we can just discuss it in one of their threads. Kostenko hasn't played in over a week now in any games so there's no point going to the prospect thread to say he's still not playing as with Russian prospects it's so hard to know wtf is going on and where the f*** they are playing. I thought Gordin could use some discussion since I think it's a big year for him imo as this is his last year under contract in Russia and I'm wondering what the Habs plans are for these Russian kids, if they would perhaps look to have a little Russian flair in Laval for '22-'23 with Kostenko, Gordin, and Khisamutdinov. Not sure the 2 forwards could even hack it in Laval or not but since Gordin/Kostenko don't currently have contracts after this season it's at least something to consider.

I agree. You want to see him stick around the VHL because if he returns in the MHL, it will be a disappointment, even if he would put up crazy numbers there.

he played 10 games above the MHL last year but if he has plans on leaving for North America, which who knows if he does or not, but if he doesn't re-sign then that could possible impact his chances of getting time in the KHL/VHL again as we can recall how he racked up the airline miles last season in those call ups to the VHL where he didn't dress in games and it was a mystery trying to find out where he was on any given day at times.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
since there was no news on either player, we can just discuss it in one of their threads. Kostenko hasn't played in over a week now in any games so there's no point going to the prospect thread to say he's still not playing as with Russian prospects it's so hard to know wtf is going on and where the f*** they are playing. I thought Gordin could use some discussion since I think it's a big year for him imo as this is his last year under contract in Russia and I'm wondering what the Habs plans are for these Russian kids, if they would perhaps look to have a little Russian flair in Laval for '22-'23 with Kostenko, Gordin, and Khisamutdinov. Not sure the 2 forwards could even hack it in Laval or not but since Gordin/Kostenko don't currently have contracts after this season it's at least something to consider.
I'm sure there's probably a very simple explanation, but it is really weird that Kostenko has been MIA like that. I wish we had a Russian correspondent or something who could ask those questions directly.

Reactions: JAVO16 and montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
so he continues to bounce around, he's played 3 preseason games with his MHL (junior) club and 2 with his VHL (AHL) club. Yesterday his VHL team played but he didn't, so now he hasn't played a game in 8 days so I don't know where he is playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad