Alexander Burmistrov "will almost certainly return to NHL"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Burmi_Ladd.jpg

From a friend.

EDIT: Just wanted to add, I personally doubt Burmistrov will ever become the offensive player that Ladd is (who is underrated in that department). That is not the point of this image. It is not to make them comparable. Rather, to remind that offense sometimes comes later.

Last edited:

jetkarma*

Bold prediction:

When Burmi comes back, his cumulative NHL points will end up being less than Ladd at the same age.

:sarcasm:

Cumulative career points? :sarcasm:

He's got a lot to prove, found it very interesting to listen to the interview and have a Russian insiders take on the situation .

jetkarma*

http://www.tsn.ca/winnipeg/story/?id=459766

If he doesn't want to return to Winnipeg, what could Winnipeg legitimately obtain in return? I imagine the best we could get is a low 2nd rounder or even a 3rd rounder. Maybe I am wrong, however, I can see teams exploiting the fact he doesn't want to return to Winnipeg.

A lot depends on his season this year. Last year he produced and had an ok / good first half , the second half? Not nearly as good or productive , both statistically and from the reports from KHL observers.

So if he has a strong season I think he has a third round value , obviously depends what team is interested , how they felt about him prior to his leaving , if they think he will fit in with them etc.

Best scenario could be he signs here and buys in , plays well and then we can retain him going forward as a contributing asset or move him at that time for a better return than what he would have gotten say at the trade deadline or the draft next year.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

If he doesn't want to return to Winnipeg, what could Winnipeg legitimately obtain in return? I imagine the best we could get is a low 2nd rounder or even a 3rd rounder. Maybe I am wrong, however, I can see teams exploiting the fact he doesn't want to return to Winnipeg.

A couple points from that story:

“He's being kind of diplomatic there, but the vibe I caught from that exchange when I read it in the original Russian was that he's not too hot on the idea of coming back to Winnipeg, and he might want to try his luck somewhere else,†Malamud said.

Then play nice with Chevy, and ensure that he can get the most return for you, Alex. Or, wait until you're an NHL UFA.

“The vibe I got from him was that he didn't really like it anymore in Winnipeg,†Malamud said following Burmistrov's departure. “Not necessarily the city, but he didn't like the way he was being used. One of the phrases he said was, ‘I'm willing to go to any club that's willing to let me play.' That sort of implies that the Jets didn't let him play, or didn't let him play the way he wanted to play.â€

I hate reading these translations - I can never tell if the player is as full of themselves as it sounds. I liked his game, but I think he has a slightly over-developed ego if this translation holds true. Is this a hold-over from the Noel usage of Burmi? Is this a call to be allowed to play 'his game', instead of the team's game?

Like it or not, if he does come back to Winnipeg, I can't see him slotting into a C position anymore. With Little, Scheifele and Perreault, he'll have to be content with either a 4C position, or a position on the wing, IMHO.

So sad - I hope he either returns and contributes, or we turn him into another asset via a trade. :(

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I see him best used in a trade as a sweetener to get the trade partner to accept a deal that might otherwise appear to favour us. JMO We get 2 players in return for 1 + Burmi, or we get 1 really good player for 1 + Burmi. The receiving team would have to believe they have a reasonable chance of getting him of course. It would be a gamble on their part.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
I see him best used in a trade as a sweetener to get the trade partner to accept a deal that might otherwise appear to favour us. JMO We get 2 players in return for 1 + Burmi, or we get 1 really good player for 1 + Burmi. The receiving team would have to believe they have a reasonable chance of getting him of course. It would be a gamble on their part.

Buff + Burmi package, wonder what it could get us. :laugh:

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I would be more than glad to see him return and play on the 2nd line with Scheifele and Wheeler or 3rd line with Byfuglien.

If his goal is to return to the NHL he should talk with the team and work out the differences. It seems his issues were with Noel. He has a great chance to play with skilled players and maybe increase his value.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
A lot depends on his season this year. Last year he produced and had an ok / good first half , the second half? Not nearly as good or productive , both statistically and from the reports from KHL observers.

So if he has a strong season I think he has a third round value , obviously depends what team is interested , how they felt about him prior to his leaving , if they think he will fit in with them etc.

Best scenario could be he signs here and buys in , plays well and then we can retain him going forward as a contributing asset or move him at that time for a better return than what he would have gotten say at the trade deadline or the draft next year.

I don't know that it matters much what kind of season he has in the KHL. I doubt he will have a lot of trade value, before he proves what he can do back in the NHL. And that includes buying into the team system, his role on the team etc. Right now there are a lot of question marks and I can't see teams offering much for his rights. Maybe a little more if he gets signed to a cost effective contract first.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I challenge TSN on that point, I didn't sense the door was closed on Winnipeg. Even if it was Winnipeg holds his rights so we call the shots up until he is a UFA. I still think that was a Noel Burmi issue that is no longer applicable. I also challenge the notion that it is top 6 or grinder? That is the old NHL Maurice is rolling a top 9 and Alex would fit in nicely.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I challenge TSN on that point, I didn't sense the door was closed on Winnipeg. even if it was Winnipeg holds his rights so we call the shots up until he is a UFA. I still think that was a Noel Burmi issue that is no longer applicable. I also challenge the notion that it is top 6 or grinder? That is the old NHL Maurice is rolling a top 9 and Alex would fit in nicely.

Agreed. Burmi, with a little more maturity who buys into Maurice's system would fit nicely in a "top 9 role".

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Burmi is a smart player. He was pretty bad at times in the offensive zone, but that's something that will come with confidence and decent linemates. He'll have that if he's back for Fall 2015.

jetkarma*

I don't know that it matters much what kind of season he has in the KHL. I doubt he will have a lot of trade value, before he proves what he can do back in the NHL. And that includes buying into the team system, his role on the team etc. Right now there are a lot of question marks and I can't see teams offering much for his rights. Maybe a little more if he gets signed to a cost effective contract first.

It matters the same way every season matters , if he plays like he did the last part all year his value will be less , if he plays better than he did the first part of last year , all year , it will increase his value. To what amount? that remains to be seen of course , but a strong consistent productive makes him more valuable to Winnipeg and to any other team.

Key however as I have always maintained is his attitude. Totally up to him to show up and play with a positive one or one that isn't. His choice.

Third rounder isn't a lot , which is why I have said for our sake the best value is in him returning , playing hard and committed to the team's direction and then either staying as a positive piece or being moved after showing he can indeed play well in the NHL.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I challenge TSN on that point, I didn't sense the door was closed on Winnipeg. Even if it was Winnipeg holds his rights so we call the shots up until he is a UFA. I still think that was a Noel Burmi issue that is no longer applicable. I also challenge the notion that it is top 6 or grinder? That is the old NHL Maurice is rolling a top 9 and Alex would fit in nicely.

:thumbu:

New coach that's been in the K and seems to understand Russian players to an extent? Check.

Rolling top nine instead of traditional top six? Check.

Noel gone? Check.

Olli gone? Check.

The only thing I'll say is that Alex needs to prove himself still and play within whatever system Maurice has in place or like anyone else he'll be persona non grata. If he doesn't realize that, he hasn't done much growing up at all. I'd be surprised if that's the case.

Unholy goalie

Jul 11, 2011
The TSN article is somewhat different than the interview on the Rona Round Table. My sense from taking in the two, plus the Russian article, is that he wants to land in a spot where he will get top 6 minutes. That doesn't exclude the Jets, but looking at the roster it seems difficult to imagine him getting meaningful icetime, even on the third line. Perreault hasn't proven anything yet, so I could see a spot available for Burmi on the "third" line (I use the term loosely because I'd actually love to see Perreault with Kane and Wheeler.. but I digress). If Perreault really stinks it up Burmi looks like a great option. Otherwise, he's as good as gone.

jetkarma*

The TSN article is somewhat different than the interview on the Rona Round Table. My sense from taking in the two, plus the Russian article, is that he wants to land in a spot where he will get top 6 minutes. That doesn't exclude the Jets, but looking at the roster it seems difficult to imagine him getting meaningful icetime, even on the third line. Perreault hasn't proven anything yet, so I could see a spot available for Burmi on the "third" line (I use the term loosely because I'd actually love to see Perreault with Kane and Wheeler.. but I digress). If Perreault really stinks it up Burmi looks like a great option. Otherwise, he's as good as gone.

I think it would be wise to temper the fanfare for Burmitrov returning. There are a lot of moving parts here and foremost is has his attitude improved sufficiently to be a core asset or not.

More than hints of the same " I know better " resonate from both pieces imo and to be frank that isn't good. Doesn't mean that is how he is approaching moving forward with his career of course but he'll have to prove he's changed.

Could he fill in as a top 6 player? sure for a while , is he a legitimate one? not presently imo and it seems others a well. He has to buy in , if he wants to be part of a team , hopefully he has matured and chooses to do that , otherwise this quote from the article " Burmistrov failed to live up to his billing as a top-10 NHL pick while in Winnipeg " will echo for a long time.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think it would be wise to temper the fanfare for Burmitrov returning. There are a lot of moving parts here and foremost is has his attitude improved sufficiently to be a core asset or not.

More than hints of the same " I know better " resonate from both pieces imo and to be frank that isn't good. Doesn't mean that is how he is approaching moving forward with his career of course but he'll have to prove he's changed.

Could he fill in as a top 6 player? sure for a while , is he a legitimate one? not presently imo and it seems others a well. He has to buy in , if he wants to be part of a team , hopefully he has matured and chooses to do that , otherwise this quote from the article " Burmistrov failed to live up to his billing as a top-10 NHL pick while in Winnipeg " will echo for a long time.

The attitude is key. I don't blame Noel too much for Burmi leaving. What coach would accept that 'I will play my way' crap? Burmi wasn't thrown out. He left of his own will. Noel could possibly have communicated better but the language problem works both ways and if Burmi was stubborn what could he do?

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
The attitude is key. I don't blame Noel too much for Burmi leaving. What coach would accept that 'I will play my way' crap? Burmi wasn't thrown out. He left of his own will. Noel could possibly have communicated better but the language problem works both ways and if Burmi was stubborn what could he do?

He will return to the NHL but not as a Jet long term. Package him with Kane or Buff and get something back. Preferrably a 1st round pick.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
He will return to the NHL but not as a Jet long term. Package him with Kane or Buff and get something back. Preferrably a 1st round pick.

There aren't many 1st round picks around that would make a deal about Burmi + Buff/Kane for 1st a good deal for us ;) Probably no team with a top 5 pick would do it and outside the top 10, it's an easy loss for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad