Alexander Burmistrov "will almost certainly return to NHL"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I don't doubt it to be real... Although his reasoning may be the missing part.

Burmi also has a guy who is both an additional training coach and help him with his English. He's had that guy since junior. He was the same guy Burmi was on ice with when Burmi had that pick up game with kids.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. What an animal! :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Of course it does. My problem here is there is a big lack of understanding or willingness to try to see it from Burmistrov's angle. We are not talking about a corn-fed, Saskatchewan farm boy here. We are talking about someone who was raised in a tremendously different culture.

I feel like people don't get the concept of this. Try to imagine what you were doing as a 17 year old, then imagine moving to Russia to play hockey, not speaking the language, not understanding the ways of the culture, the nuances of interaction between people, the do's and don'ts.

This is not an issue that is strictly Burmistrov's. We have seen a LOT of young Russian players have this struggle. That proves that there is something more to this than Alex' own personal 'attitude problems'.

Players from other places in Europe adjust better but their cultures more closely align with ours.

Yes I get the culture shock and you have made that point quite well. But what can we, or more properly the team do about it? This is an area where an agent might be able to help if he is a good one. The team could hire a Russian who has successfully made the transition to help. I don't know what, if anything the Jets tried. Again we come to the 2 way street. What did Burmi do to try to help himself? Did he reject offered help? Did he seek help? Unknown.

jetkarma*

I'm hoping for a strong year from Burmi that elevates his asset value. He's still very young and if he is able to become a desirable asset, the Jets are going to have that much more to work with either through trades or building the roster.

If indeed Burmistrov is motivated to return to and be challenged in the NHL , then the better he plays , the more production he provides the more positive it will be for Winnipeg. Whether that's him initially playing again for the jets and then being dealt or even at the trade deadline this year as there is a definite chance he could play in the playoffs for an NHL team.

One thing to note is that the elevated status some held Burmistrov up to is being lowered , it seems the vast majority of observers and even fans are realistically saying he could be an average to slightly above average 3rd line player. Nothing wrong with that , he just needs to know he will be compensated as such unless that level changes.

jetkarma*

I don't doubt it to be real... Although his reasoning may be the missing part.

Burmi also has a guy who is both an additional training coach and help him with his English. He's had that guy since junior. He was the same guy Burmi was on ice with when Burmi had that pick up game with kids.

While he did have his own " personal " assistant , the results weren't what was hoped for by the team as I believe you also know. It was suggested to him to try some alternative means to integrate and to assimilate better and not be as isolated as he was , again I believe you also know what his response was to this.

Jets have some responsibility to the player but so does the player to the team . Hopefully PM impacts this and Burmistrov has reevaluated some things on his part. That could work for all.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Is it just me or does Burmi seem to get held to a different standard than our other prospects/young guns (not directing this at you Jetkarma)? He is 1 year older than Scheif and Lowry yet he seems to get dealt with as a much more finished product? Maybe its the Russian thing, his falling out with coach Claude, or the fact he was rushed and therefore has more NHL games under his belt? I don't know but I believe Alex has the same ceiling as Sean Couturier so if we can salvage him then it is a pretty big + 1 for an org that isn't exactly overflowing with young talent yet. I was under the impression we are a draft and "develop" team? I get he comes with some warts and if Mo can't work with him then its strike 3 and time to punt but what do we have to lose?

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Nice goal there. Anyone notice Shaun Heshka the former Moose D man in that video?

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Is it just me or does Burmi seem to get held to a different standard than our other prospects/young guns (not directing this at you Jetkarma)? He is 1 year older than Scheif and Lowry yet he seems to get dealt with as a much more finished product? Maybe its the Russian thing, his falling out with coach Claude, or the fact he was rushed and therefore has more NHL games under his belt? I don't know but I believe Alex has the same ceiling as Sean Couturier so if we can salvage him then it is a pretty big + 1 for an org that isn't exactly overflowing with young talent yet. I was under the impression we are a draft and "develop" team? I get he comes with some warts and if Mo can't work with him then its strike 3 and time to punt but what do we have to lose?

I'm completely confident that Maurice can work with him. I put much of the blame for that whole situation on Noel.

jetkarma*

Well not to get too in to this again , but you said draft and develop , part happened prior to Jets2 , but the part after was met with less than an enthusiastic response. So to your question , he probably is held to a different standard as he hasn't embraced direction as well as virtually all other prospects /young players to be direct.

He can completely change that though , it is all up to him . We'll see if he wants to or not .

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Well not to get too in to this again , but you said draft and develop , part happened prior to Jets2 , but the part after was met with less than an enthusiastic response. So to your question , he probably is held to a different standard as he hasn't embraced direction as well as virtually all other prospects /young players to be direct.

He can completely change that though , it is all up to him . We'll see if he wants to or not .

I look at him as a tweener......The draft happened before TNSE but only 1 season of the develop was on Atlanta and 2 seasons of the develop were under TNSE's watch. I see the development not ending when a young prospect joins the NHL team (maybe that's just me). I think Alex was stubborn and immature and most of this was on him however, I do think coach Noel was a bad fit.

I completely agree that its up to Alex now...he is never going to get a more KHL/Russian friendly coach than Maurice so lets see what he's got because he will get a very fair shake if he comes back.

jetkarma*

I look at him as a tweener......The draft happened before TNSE but only 1 season of the develop was on Atlanta and 2 seasons of the develop were under TNSE's watch. I see the development not ending when a young prospect joins the NHL team (maybe that's just me). I think Alex was stubborn and immature and most of this was on him however, I do think coach Noel was a bad fit.

I completely agree that its up to Alex now...he is never going to get a more KHL/Russian friendly coach than Maurice so lets see what he's got because he will get a very fair shake if he comes back.

I completely agree that development continues whether the player is in the NHL or not , it is an ongoing process , or should be.

I don't agree that he is a tweener, sure we've had him for a year and a half at the NHL level and half a season at the AHL one , but he definitely is an Atlanta selection. Not to say we don't value him and try to maximize his potential and productivity.

It isn't about PM as much as it will be about Burmistrov. Maurice will be a better coach in relating to him but he's going to be hard and demanding if Burmistrov returns , and it will be up to Burmistrov to buy in and be a team player and accept direction better .... or not .

I also think he needs to have a substantially better year this season than last.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I completely agree that development continues whether the player is in the NHL or not , it is an ongoing process , or should be.

I don't agree that he is a tweener, sure we've had him for a year and a half at the NHL level and half a season at the AHL one , but he definitely is an Atlanta selection. Not to say we don't value him and try to maximize his potential and productivity.

It isn't about PM as much as it will be about Burmistrov. Maurice will be a better coach in relating to him but he's going to be hard and demanding if Burmistrov returns , and it will be up to Burmistrov to buy in and be a team player and accept direction better .... or not .

I also think he needs to have a substantially better year this season than last.

"IF" he comes back I think it will be easier for Alex to buy in because I believe, like Frolik, Maurice will put Burmi into a position to succeed. I also think he will be able to communicate his message better. Now I am still not 100% sold it will work but an older Burmi, asked to play to his strengths, with a messenger who is a gifted communicator feels like a wind at the back opportunity vs a strong wind in a stubborn face chance.

Either way I hope it plays out because the risk reward is strongly tilted in our favor if we can get Alex into manageable bridge deal.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
"IF" he comes back I think it will be easier for Alex to buy in because I believe, like Frolik, Maurice will put Burmi into a position to succeed. I also think he will be able to communicate his message better. Now I am still not 100% sold it will work but an older Burmi, asked to play to his strengths, with a messenger who is a gifted communicator feels like a wind at the back opportunity vs a strong wind in a stubborn face chance.

Either way I hope it plays out because the risk reward is strongly tilted in our favor if we can get Alex into manageable bridge deal.

With the latest rumour that KHL teams will look to bring their Russian born players home and leave the nhl when the agreement ends next summer, any concerns this impacts Burmi and the Jets, ps?

Call me old school, but if there is no agreement in place, he just looks like a risky asset, that other teams may look at as too big a risk too.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
With the latest rumour that KHL teams will look to bring their Russian born players home and leave the nhl when the agreement ends next summer, any concerns this impacts Burmi and the Jets, ps?

Call me old school, but if there is no agreement in place, he just looks like a risky asset, that other teams may look at as too big a risk too.

Yea there is always a concern with the Russian factor for me......Holden could probably comment better on the specifics of the KHL's gamesmanship but I am one of the guys who would steer clear of drafting Russians with high picks unless their value was too good to pass up.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I thought the KHL was in financial difficulty. They lowered their cap recently. Several of the teams have suspended operation. Or am I imagining it?

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I thought the KHL was in financial difficulty. They lowered their cap recently. Several of the teams have suspended operation. Or am I imagining it?

I think that's part of the reason for wanting star players to return. Provide a better product with more stars to increase interest and league-wide revenue.

But I'm not familiar with each team's financial situation.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

The KHL is doing well, 3 teams have suspended operations but they've still added 4 in the past two seasons. The league is a gongshow though, with all the political complications, nutbar owners, crazy schedules etc.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

I agree PS. Maurice is much more likely to see his guys succeed where their strengths lay, where it seemed that Noel seemed to keep trying to force square pegs into round holes. I remember Burmi being criticized constantly for not playing a north south game. What a load of malarky, the guy was gifted with puck possession and if given a chance and the team mates, he could be a very good player for us or very good trade bait.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Well I agree that burmi probably needs to do more for himself I think of "developing" hockey players like teachers raising students.

A crappy teacher can get success out of a great student. It takes a great teacher to coach success out of a crappy student.

Scheif trouba and jomo...these are all"great students". They have the attitudes and drive that would lead them to succeed in even the worst system. That's a big win for our scouting department.

Our development department on the otherhand will make its hay on it's ability to turn the burmis and less then ideal students into useful assets.

That's my take anyways.

I'm not obsolvng burmi of blame, but if were going to be a top 5 development team, you need to be able to polish the pooh that you do happen to draw on occasion (especially if you only pick at the rate we do)

Last edited:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

Yeah. I don't get it. Kane gets some of it too. I think it has to do with the fact that we've seen them play for a couple years.

Both players broke into the league young.

Both players played above expectations at a young age.

Both have suffered some growing pains.

Neither is a source of the team's woes.

Both have become whipping boys.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah. I don't get it. Kane gets some of it too. I think it has to do with the fact that we've seen them play for a couple years.

Both players broke into the league young.

Both players played above expectations at a young age.

Both have suffered some growing pains.

Neither is a source of the team's woes.

Both have become whipping boys.

They are both strong minded individuals who don't always get with the program which doesn't help and I think they both suffer a bit from the stepchild syndrome. To be fair though even a teachers pet like Scheifele had his critics until he started breaking through last season after his rough start. Bogosian professing his undying love of all things Winnipeg inoculated him from criticism for a while but that honeymoon is over now. Maybe we are just a tough crowd unless you are a young progressing prospect that provides hope and has yet to disappoint which makes us like 29 other fan bases. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad