Alexander Burmistrov "will almost certainly return to NHL"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Except when that player feels they should be playing a top 6 role, and sulks when being told they are not.

If Burmi would buy into a defined role, and used his speed and skill to excel at whatever that role is, he would be golden. But if he has not grown up a bit since he left us, I doubt he takes any role, outside of what he feels his role should be, in a positive way

How do you know this? Can you link this info? Do you have a source?

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
If 37 points in 54 in an inferior league that rivals the AHL is producing....

Oi vai

I'll let you in on a secret before you dig yourself too deep here. Who's stat line is this?

2013-14 St. Petersburg SKA KHL 45 16 24 40

Not even a point a game. No way he could play in the NHL right?

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Except when that player feels they should be playing a top 6 role, and sulks when being told they are not.

If Burmi would buy into a defined role, and used his speed and skill to excel at whatever that role is, he would be golden. But if he has not grown up a bit since he left us, I doubt he takes any role, outside of what he feels his role should be, in a positive way

Yeah man totally. Kane also hates playing here too and Blake Wheeler won't sign a contract with us either.

Do you usually get your news from tabloids or is it only sports that you do that with?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I believe Burmistrov's only comment was that:
-He felt that he would help the team more than Jokinen did, but Noel would not use him and when he asked he was told his is not to know why

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I'll let you in on a secret before you dig yourself too deep here. Who's stat line is this?

2013-14 St. Petersburg SKA KHL 45 16 24 40

Not even a point a game. No way he could play in the NHL right?

Yeah and hows he doing this year? :sarcasm:

2014-15 St. Petersburg SKA KHL 13 12 9 21

In 13 games this year, he's almost hit his goal total from last year.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Really? Leading his team (a playoff team) in points isn't producing well in the KHL?

Tell me. How much knowledge do you have of the KHL?

Did I proclaim some superior knowledge of the KHL, Sweech? You seem to have gleaned all yours from hockeydb.com, so I might be outclassed here on the Russian intel.

As I said earlier, I played summer hockey a couple years with Dustin Boyd so I always keep an eye on how he and Dawes are doing. And they are out-producing Burmistrov, who, by all accounts - seems to be about a .5 PPG player since Christmas of last year.

But I don't just need to look at the KHL for inferior leagues that Burmistrov isn't tearing up. There's also the AHL.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Is being comparable to those guys in scoring poor though?

Also, should one partial season in the AHL, where the player in question actually comparatively scores worse in than he does in better leagues where he has greater sample (the KHL or NHL), and during a slump where the whole team was scoring lower than normal, really be taken as definitive?

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Is being comparable to those guys in scoring poor though?

Also, should one partial season in the AHL, where the player in question actually comparatively scores worse in than he does in better leagues where he has greater sample (the KHL or NHL), and during a slump where the whole team was scoring lower than normal, really be taken as definitive?

Nope, it just means that we need to keep Burmi's super duper KHL production in perspective.

On your second point, he was on a hot streak from Sept - Nov last year and many were parading it as proof that Burmistrov was a scorer and that Noel was the only problem. Those 3 months were just as large a sample as the next 3 months, when his production fell off a cliff. There seems to be some bias in saying "hey these 3 months when he is tearing it up are the true indicator of Burmistrov's production but those other 6 months aren't."

I will be interested to see what he does this year. So far, so meh.

Last edited:

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Did I proclaim some superior knowledge of the KHL, Sweech? You seem to have gleaned all yours from hockeydb.com, so I might be outclassed here on the Russian intel.

As I said earlier, I played summer hockey a couple years with Dustin Boyd so I always keep an eye on how he and Dawes are doing. And they are out-producing Burmistrov, who, by all accounts - seems to be about a .5 PPG player since Christmas of last year.

But I don't just need to look at the KHL for inferior leagues that Burmistrov isn't tearing up. There's also the AHL.

You made a blunt statement, "Burmistrov really hasn't produced all that well in the KHL." So excuse me for thinking that someone who makes such a statement might know what they're talking about. His production made him the tied 21st best scorer in the KHL, the best point scorer on his own team. Those are the direct related facts to your statement. In a perfect mirrored reflection Blake Wheeler was the 21st best scorer in the NHL and the best scorer in our team. I guess your standards should say that, "Wheeler really hasn't produced all that well in the NHL." right? Unless I'm mistaken and you have some other standard to which you judge a player's production.

It's pretty hard to plead ignorance after making a statement like that and then to disregard Burmistrov leading his playoff team in points your counter argument is Boyd and Dawes are outproducing him. Which means what exactly? Seeing as you you have plead ignorance to knowing anything about the KHL it seems strange you would want to throw stats around as if that's a basis for an argument. Can you use KHL scoring stats as a linear basis to how it relates to NHL scoring? Did Boyd or Dawes lead their team in scoring? No? Would that suggest that their points may be influenced by playing with other high point scorers? I guess I shouldn't even be asking you these questions since you don't know anything about the KHL.

It is interesting though that someone who claims to have no knowledge of a subject can make such great claims about it.

Last edited:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Nope, it just means that we need to keep Burmi's super duper KHL production in perspective.

On your second point, he was on a hot streak from Sept - Nov last year and many were parading it as proof that Burmistrov was a scorer and that Noel was the only problem. Those 3 months were just as large a sample as the next 3 months, when his production fell off a cliff. There seems to be some bias in saying "hey these 3 months when he is tearing it up are the true indicator of Burmistrov's production but those other 6 months aren't."

Not really no.
The perspective is that those players serve as strong comparable for "good" and "bad" production. They are not though.
The better way to use production in perspective for all levels is use NHLE.

The second point, I did not take the "hot streak" or "cliff" as his sample. I used cumulative numbers. All.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
You made a blunt statement, "Burmistrov really hasn't produced all that well in the KHL." So excuse me for thinking that someone who makes such a statement might know what they're talking about.

It's pretty hard to plead ignorance after making a statement like that and then to disregard Burmistrov leading his playoff team in points your counter argument is Boyd and Dawes are outproducing him. Which means what exactly? Seeing as you you have plead ignorance to knowing anything about the KHL it seems strange you would want to throw stats around as if that's a basis for an argument. Can you use KHL scoring stats as a linear basis to how it relates to NHL scoring? Did Boyd or Dawes lead their team in scoring? No? Would that suggest that their points may be influenced by playing with other high point scorers?

It is interesting though that someone who claims to have no knowledge of a subject can make such great claims about it.

What on earth are you going on about now? The only ignorance that needs to be plead is by you in not reading my posts. You seem to be the self-appointed KHL expert, yet all I'm seeing is some half-baked theory about whether we can compare the production of players from the same league without factoring in whether or not their team made the playoffs?

Should we discount Taylor Hall, Phil Kessel and John Tavares' production because their teams didn't make the playoffs? Nonsense.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
What on earth are you going on about now? The only ignorance that needs to be plead is by you in not reading my posts. You seem to be the self-appointed KHL expert, yet all I'm seeing is some half-baked theory about whether we can compare the production of players from the same league without factoring in whether or not their team made the playoffs?

Should we discount Taylor Hall, Phil Kessel and John Tavares' production because their teams didn't make the playoffs? Nonsense.

Lets make it simple, would you say "Blake Wheeler really hasn't produced all that well in the NHL." ?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Burmi is currently tied for 7th in team scoring on his crappy KHL team in the crappy KHL but to his defence there are a couple of really good career AHL'ers on his team who probably garner more ice time!:help:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Burmi is currently tied for 7th in team scoring on his crappy KHL team in the crappy KHL but to his defence there are a couple of really good career AHL'ers on his team who probably garner more ice time!:help:

Here's what I don't understand: like him or hate him, his NHL rights are owned by the Jets. The better he does, the more likely it is that the Jets can get some sort of value for Atlanta's 8th overall pick.

I hope he goes on a tear, drives his value up, and does a sign and trade with the Jets and another team. Anything else is a complete loss of an asset.

tucker22*

Aug 8, 2012

Didn't scheifele go on a hot streak last year after a 28 game cold spell? Do we rate him on the same scale?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Here's what I don't understand: like him or hate him, his NHL rights are owned by the Jets. The better he does, the more likely it is that the Jets can get some sort of value for Atlanta's 8th overall pick.

I hope he goes on a tear, drives his value up, and does a sign and trade with the Jets and another team. Anything else is a complete loss of an asset.

Burmi's never going to be the scorer many expected him to be, he can't seem to produce in any league he plays in leading me to believe he is best suited to a defensive role, checking forward, PK'er. Problem with this is that Burmi still believes he's a bona fide 1st or 2nd line centre at the NHL level.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Burmi's never going to be the scorer many expected him to be, he can't seem to produce in any league he plays in leading me to believe he is best suited to a defensive role, checking forward, PK'er. Problem with this is that Burmi still believes he's a bona fida 1st or 2nd line centre at the NHL level.

Possibly, but you ignored my point sip. ;)

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Burmi's never going to be the scorer many expected him to be, he can't seem to produce in any league he plays in leading me to believe he is best suited to a defensive role, checking forward, PK'er. Problem with this is that Burmi still believes he's a bona fida 1st or 2nd line centre at the NHL level.

You realize he was 21 when he left right?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Burmi's never going to be the scorer many expected him to be,

What do people expect him to be?

he can't seem to produce in any league he plays in

There are some that would disagree with that statement. Relatively speaking, his overall pts/gp in the KHL is not poor, although not exceptional.

Ex: His pts/gp was 5th for those under 25 in the KHL last season.

Problem with this is that Burmi still believes he's a bona fida 1st or 2nd line centre at the NHL level.
Does he? How do you know that?

IMO he's a plus value middle six player.
Jets could use one or two more of those.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
What do people expect him to be?

There are some that would disagree with that statement. Relatively speaking, his overall pts/gp in the KHL is not poor, although not exceptional.

Ex: His pts/gp was 5th for those under 25 in the KHL last season.

Does he? How do you know that?

Questioning Noel from afar about why Jokinen was playing ahead of him for one thing. Don't agree about middle six but probably easily a bottom six forward on the Jets, who knows though, two years out of the NHL isn't exactly a positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad