Nashville Predators Talk - 2024/2025 Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
When do the 1st round of cuts typically occur? Should be before the next game right?

Should be able to cut atleast AHL only contracts and those that will return to the CHL affiliates with the exception of maybe Molendyk and Gibson.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
When do the 1st round of cuts typically occur? Should be before the next game right?

Should be able to cut atleast AHL only contracts and those that will return to the CHL affiliates with the exception of maybe Molendyk and Gibson.

Sometimes they will cut the CHL guys then when AHL guys have camp. Sometimes they come in one big bunch. It really depends on what the coach wants and if he wants to look at the CHL guys, I have a feeling with it’s gonna be a big bunch. My guess is Tuesday when we see the first cuts that would be two weeks before the preseason games in Milwaukee.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
I didn’t get to watch the first game, had to listen on the radio. Got to watch the second one though and it looks like they were running the box penalty kill which is a transition from the wedge they ran last year. Wonder if that’s just preseason look or a permanent change in philosophy. ThePK looked awful in that second game

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I also realized that you have the CHL guys who are going to be cut. There’s gonna be one or two they’re gonna stick around that impress the coaches you have the roster of the Milwaukee admirals and you have a few guys who are the top players for Atlanta my assumption And yes, I will be an ass, but that wouldn’t be a first time for you guys is we see 30 to 35 players cut in one big lump.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I didn’t get to watch the first game, had to listen on the radio. Got to watch the second one though and it looks like they were running the box penalty kill which is a transition from the wedge they ran last year. Wonder if that’s just preseason look or a permanent change in philosophy. ThePK looked awful in that second game
Hinote is gone now so wouldn't be surprised if we see a new PK philosophy.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville

Hinote is gone now so wouldn't be surprised if we see a new PK philosophy.
Yeah, should see something different. The PK has been a disappointment the last couple years, an adjustment was sorely needed.

Reactions: herzausstein

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Yeah, should see something different. The PK has been a disappointment the last couple years, an adjustment was sorely needed.
Agreed.

Changing the PK philosophy from wedge to box was the change that really stood out during the preseason game, probably because they were on the PK so frequently.

I’m sure we’ll see other tweeks in the schemes as the season gets rolling

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
So, the top-six for the offense seems to be locked down. Also, seems like the 3rd line is taking its shape as well.

Which leaves us with the 4th line. For the three spots, I count 5 possibilities there (Pärssinen, McCarron, Smith, Jankowkski, L'Heureux). Judging by how this team has handled these situations in the past, we can almost pencil in two of those veteran players there. L'Heureux almost surely goes down unless an injury occurs.

So, opening night:

Forsberg - ROR - Nyquist
Stamkos - Novak - Marchessault
Evangelista - Sissons - Tomasino
Pärssinen/Jankowski - McCarron - Smith

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Brunette said he screwed up by not playing Parssinen at center last year did he not?
I don't remember him specifically mentioning the center thing but he did say that they didn't do any favors for him by bouncing him around the lineup and the press-box.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The fans are the ones that turned his comment into "up and down the lineup and the pressbox". He said he played him in an unfamiliar position and it set Parssinen back.
I mean he played him everywhere, just because the coach didn't specifically say " up and down the line up " doesn't mean that isn't what he is talking about, because that's exactly what he did with him. It's not like we don't watch the games and see what is happening.

Its no different than them saying a guy is out for an upper body injury and we could all clearly see they got hit in the head so we can just assume a concussion was the reason.

Reactions: Kat Predator

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I definitely still like Parssinen as a center. But I don't really know how he gets there on this year's team? Barring injury, of course. Obviously O'Reilly has the 1C spot. A quicker guy like Novak seems like a more obvious try for the 2nd line. Sissons is Sissons. And then if you're rolling a 4th line for checking/energy, I don't think McCarron is doing a bad job at all in that spot.

So Parssinen may still have to bide his time. Maybe Novak doesn't pan out, and Parsnip could try out at 2C. Maybe one of the default centers gets injured. But I won't expect him to start at C. I just feel like that's his "niche", though... despite a lack of footspeed, he seemed to see the game and play like a center to me. :dunno:

Reactions: originalpredfan

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I definitely still like Parssinen as a center. But I don't really know how he gets there on this year's team? Barring injury, of course. Obviously O'Reilly has the 1C spot. A quicker guy like Novak seems like a more obvious try for the 2nd line. Sissons is Sissons. And then if you're rolling a 4th line for checking/energy, I don't think McCarron is doing a bad job at all in that spot.

So Parssinen may still have to bide his time. Maybe Novak doesn't pan out, and Parsnip could try out at 2C. Maybe one of the default centers gets injured. But I won't expect him to start at C. I just feel like that's his "niche", though... despite a lack of footspeed, he seemed to see the game and play like a center to me. :dunno:
Yeah don't really know what they do with him. I mean its obvious they wanted him to play at center, and its obvious they want him in the NHL, but its also pretty obvious that there is really no clear full time spot for him in that role as things are currently looking.

Benching him doesn't seem like it would do much good and putting him on the wing doesn't seem like where they think he needs to be either. I'd be really suspect you could get him through waivers so yeah, don't know.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
As far as Brunettes comments on Parsinnen does anyone have a link to what they are referring too. Because both the playing him at center and the up and down the lineup thing has been referenced a bunch. Best I can find about him being sent down is this article that just talks about confidence:https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/nashville-predators/latest-news/andrew-brunette-on-juuso-pärssinen-playing-in-milwaukee-its-growth
Honestly I'm kind of thinking it was a radio thing, which means you would probably have a hard time finding it, that said I truthfully can't remember. That was over a year ago at this point.

I'm also discovering by reading around lately on these more mainstream sites that they don't exactly have it all covered. It bits and pieces, and you can tell by the framing they aren't actually watching the games. They are often just grabbing quotes from press releases and turning it into a story.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Honestly I'm kind of thinking it was a radio thing, which means you would probably have a hard time finding it, that said I truthfully can't remember. That was over a year ago at this point.

I'm also discovering by reading around lately on these more mainstream sites that they don't exactly have it all covered. It bits and pieces, and you can tell by the framing they aren't actually watching the games. They are often just grabbing quotes from press releases and turning it into a story.
Yeah could be. It does feel like the most insight comes from Trotz and others going onto radio shows and talking. I definitely agree that our coverage sucks. In large part it’s because I don’t think any of the beat writers actually have anything beyond the most rudimentary understanding of tactics. It’s sad that literally the best coverage of that sort of stuff comes from here. Like nowhere in our media has there been any mention of the change in PK strategy that was pointed out the other day. But even beyond that they don’t even cover things like who is playing with who during camp. The top lines have been covered but I couldn’t tell you who anyone else has been playing with. Like who has Kemell played with during camp? These guys are at training camp so how hard is it to put together a list of lines from each practice.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
As far as Brunettes comments on Parsinnen does anyone have a link to what they are referring too. Because both the playing him at center and the up and down the lineup thing has been referenced a bunch. Best I can find about him being sent down is this article that just talks about confidence:https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/nashville-predators/latest-news/andrew-brunette-on-juuso-pärssinen-playing-in-milwaukee-its-growth
As Armourboy said I think it was a radio spot. What I remember being said was that they started him at wing, which didn't work, and by the time they 'found a spot at center' his confidence was gone.

I specifically remember this because I advocate for playing centers at center when transitioning to the NHL. If they aren't ready to play center then leave them in the A just like you would a defenseman. You don't play a Dman at wing to "get him used to NHL speed" so why do it with a center?

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
As Armourboy said I think it was a radio spot. What I remember being said was that they started him at wing, which didn't work, and by the time they 'found a spot at center' his confidence was gone.

I specifically remember this because I advocate for playing centers at center when transitioning to the NHL. If they aren't ready to play center then leave them in the A just like you would a defenseman. You don't play a Dman at wing to "get him used to NHL speed" so why do it with a center?
Unless you think there is just no way a guy is ever going to be a C at the NHL level, no matter what. I remember having that debate here about Tomasino, where going back to junior I said he'd never be a center in the NHL.

In our current group, only Parssinen and Svechkov appear to be projectable as candidate NHL centers. Which isn't a great situation, since both have some speed issues and aren't ideal top line candidates. A few other guys we've drafted have played center, the Wood experiment seemed to fail early last year, and Surin may not fit as a C either... ? Perhaps we do need to take more of a proactive development perspective where we really try to force-feed guys at the position, as opposed to the usual NHL mindset that you bounce them to the wing if you have any doubts at all? :dunno:

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Unless you think there is just no way a guy is ever going to be a C at the NHL level, no matter what. I remember having that debate here about Tomasino, where going back to junior I said he'd never be a center in the NHL.

In our current group, only Parssinen and Svechkov appear to be projectable as candidate NHL centers. Which isn't a great situation, since both have some speed issues and aren't ideal top line candidates. A few other guys we've drafted have played center, the Wood experiment seemed to fail early last year, and Surin may not fit as a C either... ? Perhaps we do need to take more of a proactive development perspective where we really try to force-feed guys at the position, as opposed to the usual NHL mindset that you bounce them to the wing if you have any doubts at all? :dunno:
Yeah, guys like Tomasino you might as well transition to wing right away.

But, guys like Parsinnen or Svechkov you want to leave at center until it becomes clear they may never be ready. Then, you put them at wing and start working on proper positioning and tactics either in the A or sheltered minutes on a lower line.

Last year, starting Pars at top line wing turned out to be the worst of all worlds. Not everyone understands all the positions all that well, they know what they're supposed to do and try to do that to the highest level. Not that players like that are stupid or anything but a guy like Parsinnen, that was picked in the last round, might just be hyper-focused on his job at center and doesn't bother himself with the other stuff.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yeah, guys like Tomasino you might as well transition to wing right away.

But, guys like Parsinnen or Svechkov you want to leave at center until it becomes clear they may never be ready. Then, you put them at wing and start working on proper positioning and tactics either in the A or sheltered minutes on a lower line.

Last year, starting Pars at top line wing turned out to be the worst of all worlds. Not everyone understands all the positions all that well, they know what they're supposed to do and try to do that to the highest level. Not that players like that are stupid or anything but a guy like Parsinnen, that was picked in the last round, might just be hyper-focused on his job at center and doesn't bother himself with the other stuff.
Well and if they have played Center their entire life they may know what wingers are supposed to do, but they gotta think about it, it's not second nature. If you are on the ice thinking about where you need to be at this level you are already a step behind everyone else on the ice.

Frankly I never really understood why they didn't start Novak at wing and let Parsinnen play center. Of all of them Novak seems much more like a guy that could make that transition and not really miss a step.

I think too it didn't help that the start of last season was rough, and Brunette was looking for any answer he could find, whether it made sense with players he had or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad