Alexander Burmistrov "will almost certainly return to NHL"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Who said he was open to coming back to the SAME role? I heard he is open to coming back to the NHL, not necessarily the Winnipeg Jets.

I would hazard a guess that if and when the talks take place, should we state that his role with our team would be a third line checking role, or 4rth line duties with penalty and power play time, his agent and him will either request a trade, or stay in the KHL

well right now he is 7th in scoring on his team in the KHL so who knows what roll he is playing there but judging by the box scores it is not first line centre at this point in time.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I guess everyone forgot what our cap situation was last season? All you have to do is read the signs to see that we didn't have the room to sign the dude, so Burmi went back to Russia instead of playing in the AHL. I can't blame him, he made some real money there had a great time...and he'll probably be back. I'm not sure why this simple fact is ignored when it comes to Burmistrov. Everyone thinks he's some bad dude that defected back to Russia when the truth of the matter is that Chevy probably agreed with it.

Of course, they aren't ever going to say that, but all you have to do is read the signs to know that it probably is true, at least to some degree.

I think the truth is in there somewhere, Sully. (feels like X Files all of the sudden :laugh:)

I don't deny that these things are probably true:

Noel wasn't fond of Burmistrov's 'habits'
He didn't fit into what Noel wanted as a top 6 forward
Burmi wanted more responsibility than the Jets were willing to give, and more $$$ than our cap situation and salary structure could afford
Burmi's decision to go the KHL was really the only sensible option. From the Jets perspective, he continued to play high level pro hockey, and hopefully could rediscover his scoring touch. They don't have to pay him but keep his rights.
From Burmistrov's perspective, he got to earn more $$$, play the role he wanted, and got to play for his childhood team.

People who say either Burmi got screwed or Burmi screwed the Jets are both probably wrong. I think it was making the best of the situation. I still truly believe that Burmistrov will be a Winnipeg Jet next year.

Last edited:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think the truth is in there somewhere, Sully. (feels like X Files all of the sudden :laugh:)

I don't deny that these things are probably true:

Noel wasn't fond of Burmistrov's 'habits'
He didn't fit into what Noel wanted as a top 6 forward
Burmi wanted more responsibility than the Jets were willing to give, and more $$$ than our cap situation and salary structure could afford
Burmi's decision to go the KHL was really the only sensible option. From the Jets perspective, he continued to play high level pro hockey, and hopefully can rediscover his scoring touch. They don't have to pay him but keep his rights.
From Burmistrov's perspective, he got to earn more $$$, play the role he wanted, and got to play for his childhood team.

People who say either Burmi got screwed or Burmi screwed the Jets are both probably wrong. I think it was making the best of the situation. I still truly believe that Burmistrov will be a Winnipeg Jet next year.

I agree with your post, Burmi had a couple (maybe 3) chances to go to other NHL teams in and around the deadline of this last season here but chose the money and the KHL. It was what it was then and I also think it may run its coarse but time will tell because the cash hit will be big.

Last edited:

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
well right now he is 7th in scoring on his team in the KHL so who knows what roll he is playing there but judging by the box scores it is not first line centre at this point in time.

I'd bet his KHL experience has been somewhat sobering and we might see a more modest Burmistrov that will embrace a 3rd line, checking/ supplementary scoring role.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
The flaw in the argument is that scoring at the same level of those guys is poor scoring.

Nigel Dawes scored 1.6 points per 60 5v5 minutes.
Dustin Boyd scored 1.5 points per 60 5v5 minutes.
Brandon Bochenski scored points 1.4 per 60 5v5 minutes.

For the Jets, that's same or more than anyone not named Ladd, Little, Wheeler, and Kane, plus one season of Frolik over the past 3 years. And Little's 1.8 is not that far off. (Perreault will likely be above as well)
1.7 points per 60 is just over the median for second line players.

Those guys are not out of the NHL due to not being able to score. They are not elite scorers, but they did perform. They are not bad players to score similarly to. In fact, they probably should be genuine NHL players. There is a gap in that logic.

That's interesting that you would poke holes in an argument that nobody is making. In fact, when you asked me directly about a page ago if I was saying that Boyd, Dawes and Bochenski were poor producers, I said "nope, is just that we need to keep Burmistrovs super duper KHL production in perspective".

In terms of their production, as measured by even strength p/60 from 2007-10, Boyd, Dawes, Bochenski put up about the same or less production than as Aaron Asham (1.55) Aaron Voros (1.61) Boyd Devereaux(1.59) Chuck Kobasew (1.65) and Antti Miettinen(1.65)

Alternatively, you could say they were more productive than Ryan O'Reilly (1.22), Alex Steen (1.22), And John Tavares (1.32). Oh and Dawes's 1.7 in those 3 years were the same as Joe Sakic and Claude Giroux. Wonder if he'll get into the Hall of Fame?

See what I did there?

Last edited:

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
STILL waiting for a link to a factual, first hand interview where Burmistrov said this. I'm growing tired of people presenting stuff like this as fact.

Like or hate a player but lets use facts to build our arguments, or in the absence of such, make sure we illustrate that what we are saying is either opinion, speculation, or rumor.

Interview in Russian, needs to be translated.

http://news.sport-express.ru/2013-08-05/604605/

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
That's interesting that you would poke holes in an argument that nobody is making. In fact, when you asked me directly about a page ago if I was saying that Boyd, Dawes and Bochenski were poor producers, I said "nope, is just that we need to keep Burmistrovs super duper KHL production in perspective".

In terms of their production, as measured by even strength p/60 from 2007-10, Boyd, Dawes, Bochenski put up about the same or less production than as Aaron Asham (1.55) Aaron Voros (1.61) Boyd Devereaux(1.59) Chuck Kobasew (1.65) and Antti Miettinen(1.65)

Alternatively, you could say they were almost as productive as Ryan O'Reilly (1.22), Alex Steen (1.22), And John Tavares (1.32). Oh and Dawes's 1.7 in those 3 years were the same as Joe Sakic and Claude Giroux. Wonder if he'll get into the Hall of Fame?

See what I did there?

Added an argument that I wasn't arguing.

I'm just pointing out that those comparables aren't really adding perspective.

NHLEs would be better.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Alexander Burmistrov: "The failure of the" Winnipeg "- it's an experience"
NHL
Forward "Ak Bars" Alexander Burmistrov, talking about his time in the NHL, said that his relationship to the "Winnipeg" soured even before the club moved Olli Yokkinen. Recall of the 'Jets' 21-year-old Russian deposited in 2011, but season 2012/13 held in the farm club.

- Do not go with the start of the season - Burmistrov admitted in an interview with "SE". - I was not allowed to go play in the KHL during the lockout. This distrust of the head coach to me ... He wanted me to go to the AHL, apparently for something to teach. But it is not clear what he expected from me? I was just hard. I knew I could get through the first two triples, felt. Just waiting for the coaches from Yokkinena that he would do much to help the team. And he was given more and more playing time. Perhaps here I bends sharply. But do not worry. It's an experience. (Mary Mikhalenkov)

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Alexander Burmistrov: "The failure of the" Winnipeg "- it's an experience"
NHL
Forward "Ak Bars" Alexander Burmistrov, talking about his time in the NHL, said that his relationship to the "Winnipeg" soured even before the club moved Olli Yokkinen. Recall of the 'Jets' 21-year-old Russian deposited in 2011, but season 2012/13 held in the farm club.

- Do not go with the start of the season - Burmistrov admitted in an interview with "SE". - I was not allowed to go play in the KHL during the lockout. This distrust of the head coach to me ... He wanted me to go to the AHL, apparently for something to teach. But it is not clear what he expected from me? I was just hard. I knew I could get through the first two triples, felt. Just waiting for the coaches from Yokkinena that he would do much to help the team. And he was given more and more playing time. Perhaps here I bends sharply. But do not worry. It's an experience. (Mary Mikhalenkov)

Well that's mighty scrambled. :laugh:

I know lots of you probably disagree with me, but I think at this point I don't even want Burmi back on the Jets. It seems to me like he feels entitled (to ice time), but he really doesn't have the maturity of our Scheifeles or Morrisseys. Trade his rights and I'd be fine with it.

jetkarma*

I'm thinking the Jets would be happy with a 2nd round pick for Burmi at this point.

They'd be delighted I think . I said I thought a third last year was probably the top end for picks , how well he plays this year , or not , and how motivated he is to return will affect his return if he indeed is traded.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
They'd be delighted I think . I said I thought a third last year was probably the top end for picks , how well he plays this year , or not , and how motivated he is to return will affect his return if he indeed is traded.

I would rather relax and let it play out......I would prefer we sign and trade Alex and all roads lead though Winnipeg if he wants back into the NHL. I think patience is our friend in this situation.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

Alternatively, you could say they were almost as productive as Ryan O'Reilly (1.22), Alex Steen (1.22), And John Tavares (1.32). Oh and Dawes's 1.7 in those 3 years were the same as Joe Sakic and Claude Giroux. Wonder if he'll get into the Hall of Fame?

See what I did there?

You seem to have a really hard time conveying what you mean. Since every time someone creates an argument you jump up and change what you apparently meant.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Although I'm obviously skeptical of his KHL production, he clearly would be an upgrade on our 3rd line. I do believe he could've handled the situation better but at the same time, he's a kid and so I don't really hold it against him. Water under the bridge. If he wants to come back, with a fresh start we'd be crazy not to leave the door open. That is a way better scenario than trading him for a 3rd.

People forget that we're one injury away from having coaches pets like Halischuk or Thorburn in our top 6. If Frolik doesn't re-sign, we could really use Burmistrov.

Last edited:

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Between Burmi coming back next year and Petan basically ready to make the jump now, we're going to have too many centers next year (even if we let Slater go).

Little
Scheifele
Petan
Burmistrov
Perrault
(Slater)
(O'Dell)

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Between Burmi coming back next year and Petan basically ready to make the jump now, we're going to have too many centers next year (even if we let Slater go).

Little
Scheifele
Petan
Burmistrov
Perrault
(Slater)
(O'Dell)

What a great problem to have!

Little has proven himself a really nice scorer on wing, but I'd hate to lose his fantastic 2 way play in the middle.

I'd say Petan is a pretty good candidate to play wing since he's the smallest. Then when a guy gets hurt (inevitably) we have someone we can plug in.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Little
Scheifele
Petan
Burmistrov
Perrault
(Slater)
(O'Dell)

A lot of NHL wingers were converted from centres at one time in their careers. From the earliest days in minor hockey the best players tend to be made centres. Look at the number of Cs taken in the early rounds of the draft. Add Lowry to your list.

SunDin

Dec 22, 2008
Sorry if im lazy now but didnt find a complete answer.. Burmi is not playing Jets THIS season but maybe next?
Cheers

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Maybe next. Maybe not. He will most likely come back to NA next season, we'll have to wait and see whether he joins the Jets or another NHL franchise as we trade his rights.

He had an assist on Oscar Mollers GWG yesterday and now has 3G 4A in 14 games. Nice opening pass from his own zone to Moller entering the O-zone and scoring the goal.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Small samples make me not really concerned about his scoring thus far, but I am a bit concerned with the drop in TOI/GP, shift/GP, and shot/GP...

Those aren't positive signs and can also hurt his value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad