Alexander Burmistrov "will almost certainly return to NHL"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
With the latest rumour that KHL teams will look to bring their Russian born players home and leave the nhl when the agreement ends next summer, any concerns this impacts Burmi and the Jets, ps?

Call me old school, but if there is no agreement in place, he just looks like a risky asset, that other teams may look at as too big a risk too.

I think it probably affects your drafting philosophy going forward (you are already seeing Russians being devalued I believe) but as for Burmistrov specifically? I don't think it changes anything.

He is a sunk cost already for the organization. If he comes back and leaves again, I would think it would be for good. If that happens, it's no more a loss then than it is now, so I don't think that would effect the Jets desire to have him come back.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Maybe he can come back as a goon?

13:51Penalty. 69.Alexander Burmistrov (Ak Bars). 10min. misconduct penalty.
13:51Penalty. 69.Alexander Burmistrov (Ak Bars). 2min. checking to the head and neck area.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
fwiw, I think you guys can watch the KHL games on either Bwin.com or Unibet.com. I could and I was watching 10 minutes of yesterday AK Bars game. All you have to do is register (I don't think you have to pay money on your account) and you'll be able to go to Live-Games and then select "Live Video" or something (I'm sure you'll be able to find it), for the game you're interested in.

It doesn't work for countries with KHL TV rights but AFAIK, Canada doesn't broadcast KHL somewhere, right?

seasontixholder*

3 goals and 3 assists in 13 games. I sure hope to see him in a Jets jersey again.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
3 goals and 3 assists in 13 games. I sure hope to see him in a Jets jersey again.

As much as I like his potential, unless Frolic leaves or Perrault bombs, given how the forward prospects have looked, I really don't see any spot for him anymore. I see him getting traded with other commodities at the Trade deadline or in the offseason.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
As much as I like his potential, unless Frolic leaves or Perrault bombs, given how the forward prospects have looked, I really don't see any spot for him anymore. I see him getting traded with other commodities at the Trade deadline or in the offseason.

Agreed with the first sentence, especially considering that his asking price will (conservative guess) be north of $2.5M.

On the second sentence, I still don't think his rights will have any value until his name is on an NHL contract. He's at best a throw-in part of a bigger deal.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005

When thinking to next year, given what we know today, this has crossed my mind. If we see Petan and Ehlers in the top 9 a year from now, and let's say Lowry centering the 4th line (Slater leaves via UFA), we likely still need to move someone.

All of these forwards need to be in the top 9 OR could be top 9 a year from now..

Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Scheifele, Kane, Byfuglien, Frolik, Perreault, Lowry, Ehlers, Petan, Burmistrov.

We'll see how O'Dell does this year, too.

Interesting. I like it. :nod:

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

When thinking to next year, given what we know today, this has crossed my mind. If we see Petan and Ehlers in the top 9 a year from now, and let's say Lowry centering the 4th line (Slater leaves via UFA), we likely still need to move someone.

All of these forwards need to be in the top 9 OR could be top 9 a year from now..

Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Scheifele, Kane, Byfuglien, Frolik, Perreault, Lowry, Ehlers, Petan, Burmistrov.

There is plenty of room for Burmi IMO.
Of the 12 players above, I see 7 who could play multiple F positions, giving us enormous flexibility in creating lines.
Buff could be traded or go back to D
I am betting a top 6 F will be traded this season.
Frolik is still not signed...and then there are injuries.
This is exactly the kind of F depth we have needed but never had.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I don't see having "too many top 9 players" as a problem. Remember we got Frolik from Chicago who was using him as 4th liner. If you've got good players then play them.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Man Burmi's tearing up the KHL and think the KHL has starting net-minders almost as good as some of those in the AHL!

Burmi will be back next season with the Jets taking Frolik's spot who will walk at the end of the season, Burmi will be a downgrade from Frolik but he will also be cheaper. besides there may be room on the 4th line again next season!

seasontixholder*

Man Burmi's tearing up the KHL and think the KHL has starting net-minders almost as good as some of those in the AHL!

Burmi will be back next season with the Jets taking Frolik's spot who will walk at the end of the season, Burmi will be a downgrade from Frolik but he will also be cheaper. besides there may be room on the 4th line again next season!

And then there's Pavs

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I just don't like those comparisons.

It always goes:
- Hey, Burmistrov has produced well in the KHL.
- But those guys couldn't cut it in the NHL

Ya, but for different reasons.
Burmistrov one and only results issue was scoring at above average rates.
Burmistrov had above average defensive, PK, and shot metrics acumen.
The comparisons to those KHL players is only fair if those players did not cut it in the NHL for the same reason... Which is not true.

Some of those guys is due to a (IMO incorrectly placed) bias over size. Size matters because it helps you in getting results, but if you get the results a different way, then you get them a different way. Burmistrov though wasn't big but wasn't tiny or weak.
Some of those guys is due to being poor defensively (ex: Stapleton), which we all know Burmistrov wasn't.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa

It always goes:

The comparisons to those KHL players is only fair if those players did not cut it in the NHL for the same reason... Which is not true.

Some of those guys is due to a (IMO incorrectly placed) bias over size. Size matters because it helps you in getting results, but if you get the results a different way, then you get them a different way. Burmistrov though wasn't big but wasn't tiny or weak.
Some of those guys is due to being poor defensively (ex: Stapleton), which we all know Burmistrov wasn't.

And since when did Burmistrov not cut it in the NHL? He was a 3rd line center at 20 and left of his own free will.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com

It always goes:

I think the argument actually goes, "Burmistrov really hasn't produced all that well in the KHL."

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I don't see having "too many top 9 players" as a problem. Remember we got Frolik from Chicago who was using him as 4th liner. If you've got good players then play them.

Except when that player feels they should be playing a top 6 role, and sulks when being told they are not.

If Burmi would buy into a defined role, and used his speed and skill to excel at whatever that role is, he would be golden. But if he has not grown up a bit since he left us, I doubt he takes any role, outside of what he feels his role should be, in a positive way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad