Alexander Burmistrov "will almost certainly return to NHL"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
So will Chipman let Burmi wear 69? I hope so. I never changed my Burmi jersey to a Trouba jersey. I mean Jarred Allen wears it and nobody says anything about it.

Glenn January wears 69 for the Bombers. Chipman probably won't allow it though because it goes against his conservative values.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
So...
Mediocre player on mediocre team in mediocre league, getting paid in mediocre currency, wants back in NHL when said mediocre team league and currency are all crashing down.

I still fail to see where this guy deserves a single iota of my attention.
Except for fancy stats he really hasn't shown anything here in Winnipeg, and I really don't expect much this time.

Flip this guy for a pick and let's be done with him.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
So...
Mediocre player on mediocre team in mediocre league, getting paid in mediocre currency, wants back in NHL when said mediocre team league and currency are all crashing down.

I still fail to see where this guy deserves a single iota of my attention.
Except for fancy stats he really hasn't shown anything here in Winnipeg, and I really don't expect much this time.

Flip this guy for a pick and let's be done with him.

He was reported as wanting to come back well before the ruble crashed.

Why would they want him back? Because he is a skilled, young player and a former first round pick.
They may trade him for a pick, but adding an asset to the system is most always a plus.

Nobody says you have to like him. I like the idea of his two way game returning.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
yeah that guy who was 21 when he last played in the NHL should be written off and swapped for relatively nothing. That's good asset management.

He may or may not play well in our system with Maurice and the team if he comes back, but it's hard to believe he is not an upgrade over several of the players we are icing right now. And gee, he was good at possession which is a bigger focus for the team now.

He made a business decision which he was entitled to, just like any other player in the league in his circumstance. Why is that held against him?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I believe Klingberg needs to get quite a few games with the Jets this year or he is a FA. Both him and O'Dell will likely be gone next year.

I don't think either Ehlers or Petan makes it next year either. Burmi would be a big upgrade to the 3rd line over Halischuk.

Not sure about Klingberg, someone else might have to confirm. I do know O'Dell needs a certain amount of NHL games to remain a RFA that he is not going to get.

Ehlers and Petan may not make it next year. If I had to bet this far away, I think Ehlers makes it. He'll be in the no man's zone in regards to junior and the NHL. He's blowing away junior, and I'm not sure a third year does him any good. The AHL would be the perfect spot, but we know how that goes. Size and his ability to develop a more well rounded game will be his hurdles I think.

If we get Burmi back and Frolik re-signs, I do think there is a good chance Petan starts in the AHL. There won't be a need to rush him at that point IMO.

seasontixholder*

Glenn January wears 69 for the Bombers. Chipman probably won't allow it though because it goes against his conservative values.

I compared Burmi to a professional athlete. But....:sarcasm:

Just bugging.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
He was reported as wanting to come back well before the ruble crashed.

Why would they want him back? Because he is a skilled, young player and a former first round pick.
They may trade him for a pick, but adding an asset to the system is most always a plus.

Nobody says you have to like him. I like the idea of his two way game returning.

Yaawn.
Always an excusewith this guy.
Fact. He didn't ever show much here.
rumours of demands for big money and term demanded in his last negotiation.
Rumours he is difficult to coach, Antropov called him difficult to play with.
He went off to Russia and has utterly failed to show he will in any way be better when he comes back. Mediocre team mediocre numbers mediocre league.

Not every first rounder becomes the player they were drafted to be.
I don't think Burmistrov has, and bringing him in will jam up a roster spot that I would rather fill with a solid prospect Like Petan or Copp

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I've said this before, and I'll say it one more time...

With our cap space being what it was...there is no way that this was not a mutual decision. People seem to forget that. We had no room to sign Burmistrov to anything more then a 2 million dollar contract. He's not a bad person because he went to Russia...the Jets probably told him to go for a few years and find his game and then come back.

I'm not sure why this constantly gets forgotten around here.

seasontixholder*

Yaawn.
He went off to Russia and has utterly failed to show he will in any way be better when he comes back. Mediocre team mediocre numbers mediocre league.

I don't think Burmistrov has, and bringing him in will jam up a roster spot that I would rather fill with a solid prospect Like Petan or Copp

Really? Did nothing here? Great 2 way player and excellent on the penalty kill.
He is second in scoring on his KHL team.
Hard to coach? Noel is not a good coach to begin with. Noel also sent Schief back and benched Kane a few times. Where is Noel now? Not an NHL coach and probably never will be again. Also, McCambridge praised Burmi when he was in the AHL.

seasontixholder*

With our cap space being what it was...there is no way that this was not a mutual decision. People seem to forget that. We had no room to sign Burmistrov to anything more then a 2 million dollar contract. He's not a bad person because he went to Russia...the Jets probably told him to go for a few years and find his game and then come back.

I totally agree. If Thorburn is worth what he gets, then Burmi is worth double that.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Really? Did nothing here? Great 2 way player and excellent on the penalty kill.
He is second in scoring on his KHL team.
Hard to coach? Noel is not a good coach to begin with. Noel also sent Schief back and benched Kane a few times. Where is Noel now? Not an NHL coach and probably never will be again. Also, McCambridge praised Burmi when he was in the AHL.

Exactly. Erase the Winnipeg history.

If you looked at him as a former 8th overall pick who'd been in the khl for four years, and you "somehow" could be garaunteed that he'd be a good third liner possession positive guy and demon on the Pk, who was interested in signing as a free agent we would be doing back flips.

Its illogical and terrible assset management to approach him from a non objective position.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I totally agree. If Thorburn is worth what he gets, then Burmi is worth double that.

what a waste of money that dude is.

If you can sign Thorburn, you can make room for Burmi.

As to the person that said he would block a roster spot...we should be so lucky to have those kinds of problems. It means that we are finally amassing organization depth, making thus trapped down the depth chart expendable.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Yaawn.

Where? What did I excuse.

Fact. That is an opinion, not a fact.

Rumors. Also, so what?

Plenty of past coaches say he isn't. Antro comments don't mean things can't change.

He went off to Russia and has utterly failed to show he will in any way be better when he comes back.

This is an opinion based on...

Mediocre team mediocre numbers mediocre league.

False information and biases. He is a top player on one of the best teams in the world's second best hockey league.

True.

He could hold a spot over them, but I'd consider that to be a good problem. I want the best player there.

Mine in blue.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

...spot on, Sully.

This is what I said at the time. The Jets just didn't have the cap space that year to give Burmi even a reasonable offer with all their other RFAs and the contracted cap. I think this was a situation where the Jets never really went out and gave him a strong offer, and it made it easy for him to take the contract offer in the KHL. Immediately thereafter Chevy made the clear point that he saw Burmi as an "asset" for the organization and that they would be following his development in the KHL.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Totally agree with you Truck.

Cause Halischuk, Thorburn, Galiardi, Peluso, and Slater are better than Burmi right? :shakehead

This is the thing. Even if you dislike Burmistrov for leaving for Russia, not becoming an offensive dynamo, etc. Wouldn't it be awesome to have enough depth to not be one injury away from Thorburn playing in our top 9?

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
I find it funny that posters think a guy that needed to develop a better north american style has imporved that in the K.

We want him to play on the third line ! That is part of why he went over there he is star in his eyes.

Trade him get what you can.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
This is the thing. Even if you dislike Burmistrov for leaving for Russia, not becoming an offensive dynamo, etc. Wouldn't it be awesome to have enough depth to not be one injury away from Thorburn playing in our top 9?

Not it's that COMMIE RUSSIAAAAN TRAITORRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! :sarcasm:

Fire_Gore.jpg

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
Yaawn.

Not sure I understand your point, other than to air your dislike of Burmistrov.

What exactly is the downside of bringing him back? Jamming up a roster spot, we should be so lucky. Have you seen the Jets forward depth?

I find it funny that posters think a guy that needed to develop a better north american style has imporved that in the K.

We want him to play on the third line ! That is part of why he went over there he is star in his eyes.

I saw it less as needing to develop a NA style, and more as being completely at odds with how Noel wanted this team to play.

My feeling is that Burmistrov would prosper under Maurice.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario

I'd like to know how you know what's going on in Burmi's head.

I also don't get why we should trade him when his value is at an all time low, far lower than what he's worth to us. The team needs better players and he was already a good defensive third liner when he left.

Also keep in mind that Maurice coached a year in the KHL and gets why some Russians have a hard time adapting. I imagine he'll be a far better coach for Burmi than Noel was.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011

He didn't leave because of that, he left because it wasn't a meritocracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad