Alexander Burmistrov "will almost certainly return to NHL"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Where did I say I "wanted" Halischuck ? Ever in my life?

I'm saying when Burmi left, he had done nothing to show me he was better than a 3-4C grinder.
I like parts of his game but the money he was looking for was out of the question.
Add to that Antros comment. And I wasn't sad to see him go.
In The K hes a comparable with Tim Stapleton.
ThinkAbout that.

He's on Tim Stapleton's pace.

So where is the "growth" to potential?

If he isn't a bust yet, how many more seasons until we can realist he's not a very good NHL Player?

He's very replaceable IMO.
Adam Lowry for instance is very close to doing everything Burmi did.

Stapleton and Burmi both played in the NHL for the same team, so no need to compare KHL stats. Burmi was a much more effective player in the NHL.

mikey d

Oct 13, 2013
But Lowry is 6'5" and Not Russian (sarcasm)

Great reply btw. Amazing how people have blinders on and see only what they want to see

While Burmistrov plays a physical game and initiates contact, Lowry with his size has been far more effective at it lately then Burmi ever was.

Burmistrov with all of his speed and supposed hockey IQ failed to ever put it together enough to successfully use his teammates and produce consistently.

I personally would rather have an achieving Lowry than an under-performing guy with promise who disappoints rather than over-exceeds.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
So is Tim Stapleton.

What's your point.

My point is we flip him for a pick and use any cash savings from his contract to find a similar player with a real NHL pedigree

My point was that your comment was inaccurate.

FWIW

Stapes team is the currently sits 26th in the standings (28 team leauge). Burmi's team is 4th and tops in the East. Regardless, Stapes has always been a quality scorer though. He is a mess defensively. Burmi is not.

fatschoonerrat

Jul 6, 2007
Charleston
hockeyfansunion.com
I'd like to see what Burmi could do with a decent coach. I'm confused why some posters are so quick to write him off. Is it b/c he's Russian? (Don Cherry, is that you?) Is it b/c he was an Atlanta pick? He's so young. Give the kid a break. Noel had no patience for him. Mo, on the other hand, understands the Russian mentality from his time in the K. And he shows a much greater willingness to work with the kids. Totally worth a shot.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
While Burmistrov plays a physical game and initiates contact, Lowry with his size has been far more effective at it lately then Burmi ever was.

Burmistrov with all of his speed and supposed hockey IQ failed to ever put it together enough to successfully use his teammates and produce consistently.

I personally would rather have an achieving Lowry than an under-performing guy with promise who disappoints rather than over-exceeds.

Actually, Burmi was a very effective defensive player, and brought more offense than Lowry. I really like Lowry and think he'll be a terrific NHLer, but he's not as good as Burmi was yet.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

That's fine.

You take Lowry. I'll take Burmistrov AND Lowry.

Because that's actually how this works. You can have both, they're not mutually exclusive.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
If Burmi does come back next year..

Wheeler
Little
Ladd
Schiefele
Perrault
Kane

above is your top 6

Lowry

then

Frolik if he signs, i hope he does...

with burmi thats 9 top forward.

after that you have

the Ehlers
Petan
Kosmochuk
Lodge

buying for that spot

then you can add in buff, but i hope he stays D

that's a lot of top 9 forwards there..

good to have

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Maybe we should flip a pick for couturier. He's an nhlr with some pedigree but has "never really done anything".

After all I also heard rumours he did bad in the draft interviews. He probably has character issues and should thusbbe available for " whatever assets we can get"

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Seeing what Maurice has done to this team and Burmi maturing another two years and the way this team now plays right into Burmi's natural game, how could anyone NOT want to give this an honest try?

I think Burmi would fit in better than Kane in Jets 2.1 service pack 3.

rav722

Oct 31, 2014
Seeing what Maurice has done to this team and Burmi maturing another two years and the way this team now plays right into Burmi's natural game, how could anyone NOT want to give this an honest try?

I think Burmi would fit in better than Kane in Jets 2.1 service pack 3.

Unless Kane adds more to his game I don't see him moving out of 3rd line. I also don't see him staying in wpg past his current contract as a 3rd liner.

If Burmy signs on he may be a good replacement for Kane on 3rd line, especially if he buys into new system. I've always liked his defensive play, tenacious and fearless.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Kane Burmi Ehlers could make an awesome 3rd line next year assuming Kane isn't traded, Burmi signs with the Jets and Ehlers makes the team. :laugh:

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Burmi must be one of those players where I focused on the bad more than the good. I never liked his game. Then again, I didn't like a lot about the Jets a few years ago.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd like to see what Burmi could do with a decent coach. I'm confused why some posters are so quick to write him off. Is it b/c he's Russian? (Don Cherry, is that you?) Is it b/c he was an Atlanta pick? He's so young. Give the kid a break. Noel had no patience for him. Mo, on the other hand, understands the Russian mentality from his time in the K. And he shows a much greater willingness to work with the kids. Totally worth a shot.

I think he hurt some Jets fans feelings when he picked another team over us. Like getting dumped...

TNSE had their media water-carriers slagging him starting at the end of the 2011-12 season, too. Lawless wrote some stuff about a fiery exit interview at the end of that year between Noel and Burmi. And Noel's use of him seemed illogical and punitive. Not that Burmi was setting the world on fire in 2012-13, but he was sitting on the bench while NHL All-Star Half-Asser Olli Jokinen was doing less than ****-all on the 2nd line and the power play.

Anyway, he apparently didn't get along with Noel (although even native Anglophones seemingly had difficulty communicating with old Claude) and was buried behind Jokinen, and the Jets had no money to sign him AND his hometown team was calling with bagloads of (once valuable) rubles...I don't blame at all for signing overseas.

Edit: Oh, and he's Russian.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
You guys are so unwilling to admit that Birmi is anything other then a great playerthat you're not willing to objectively look at my arguments.
Burmi in his first year in the NHL had what 7 points? Lowry will have that or more after his first year. He's bigger stronger and less likely to play Keepaway on the half wall without attempting a pass.

After tumultuous second-year,where granted Burmistrov did score points, The Jets chose not to sign him. Instead bringing in people like DS rather then advancing Burmi.

And no it isn't just me making up numbers in my head. the reports in the media at the time of what Burmi and his agent were asking for. I can't remember the exact number but I do remember going "no way" usually you often see reports in the media that strongly correlate to what the final contract was. case in point we all knew several weeks in advance thanks to TSN what the Montréal Canadiens were willing to pay versus whatPK Subban wanted.

In the K where Burmi is supposed of undergoing this magnificent magical development he still is only producing at the same level as Tim Stapleton a man who is washed out of the NHL.

If Burmi's talent level is so high,he should be dominating the lesser league that is the KHL , he should certainly be vastly outclassing an older "washed up" NHLer in Tim Stapleton.

Burmi is now coming into his peak. He's not doing that.

So we have rumors in the media of him being difficultto coach. We have a older more experienced teammate from a similar cultural background saying he's difficult to play with. We have an organizeation that in the past has showing to be less than enthusiastic about paying the price the Burmi and his agent were asking for. And we have a player who has one half decent season under his belt.a season that might well have been a fluke.

Still can't figure out why you all think he's a definite improvement.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Burmi had 20 points in his first year in the NHL with the Thrashers. 28 points the next year in Winnipeg.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Burmi had 20 points in his first year in the NHL with the Thrashers. 28 points the next year in Winnipeg.

...at 18 and 19, as well.

I don't see anyone saying he's a 'great player'. I do see a lot of people mentioning his strong defensive play, and ability to push the play forward. He skates well, he hits, and is a positive on the Corsi side. Sounds kinda like someone who would fit in well with Maurice's systems. :nod:

If nothing else, those who don't buy into Burmi as a player should want him to come back from an asset management standpoint - if he proves to not be a fit on the Jets roster, I'd much, much rather get something in return for him, rather than let an 8th overall pick fly the coop for nothing.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I hope we sign frolik and bring back burmi, Chevy would look at a trade if that happens, as I think ehlers will be ready too.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
You guys are so unwilling to admit that Birmi is anything other then a great playerthat you're not willing to objectively look at my arguments.

Great player? Who said that? We said a plus possession third liner whose great at pking. Because that's what he was EVERY YEAR from 18-21.
Burmi in his first year in the NHL had what 7 points? Lowry will have that or more after his first year. He's bigger stronger and less likely to play Keepaway on the half wall without attempting a pass.
he's also three years older then burmi was in his first season. FUNFACT Lowry is..... ONE year younger then burmi.

After tumultuous second-year,where granted Burmistrov did score points, The Jets chose not to sign him. Instead bringing in people like DS rather then advancing Burmi.

And no it isn't just me making up numbers in my head. the reports in the media at the time of what Burmi and his agent were asking for. I can't remember the exact number but I do remember going "no way" usually you often see reports in the media that strongly correlate to what the final contract was. case in point we all knew several weeks in advance thanks to TSN what the Montréal Canadiens were willing to pay versus whatPK Subban wanted.

We don't know any of this. As mentioned prior the jets had 600k of capspace. We couldn't have technically resigned him even at a reasonable price (1.5+)

In the K where Burmi is supposed of undergoing this magnificent magical development he still is only producing at the same level as Tim Stapleton a man who is washed out of the NHL.

If Burmi's talent level is so high,he should be dominating the lesser league that is the KHL , he should certainly be vastly outclassing an older "washed up" NHLer in Tim Stapleton.

and evander Kane couldn't score to save his life in this league. As has been mentioned Stapleton's offense was never an issue in the NHL. He couldn't play d. So at the worst case scenario we can assume burmi is the same defensive player that left (a damn good one) plus the offence of an "offense only" tweener.
Burmi is now coming into his peak. He's not doing that.

So we have rumors in the media of him being difficultto coach. We have a older more experienced teammate from a similar cultural background saying he's difficult to play with. We have an organizeation that in the past has showing to be less than enthusiastic about paying the price the Burmi and his agent were asking for. And we have a player who has one half decent season under his belt.a season that might well have been a fluke.

Still can't figure out why you all think he's a definite improvement.

The best perdictors of success are things that burmi has historically influenced very positively [better then our entire current bottom six]. There is also a coach here who has pretty much said he knows what went wrong with burmi and how to handle it. There is also an economic situation that days well probably be able to sign him decently. The only real "issue" now is that he MAY be hard to play with.

That's literally the only negative.

Your telling me if burmi was a different teams prospect you wouldn't be excited about being able to acquire him for free?

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
I'd love to have Burmistrov back. Playing right flank to Lowry with Kane on the left. That's a great 3rd line. Very responsible defensively that will tilt the ice and put up points all while likely dominating many lesser 3rd units.

Leave the top 6 to our top 6.

Ladd - Little - Wheeler (balanced zone starts)
Perreault - Scheifele - Frolik (O-zone starts a-plenty)
Kane - Lowry - Burmistrov (D-zone starts galore)

I'll worry about where Ehlers fits in (and perhaps Little Nicky too) when the time comes, but that is a nasty top 9. Just for fun... everybody except for Lowry and Perreault are lotto picks.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
No
I'm saying given the baggage, the low production and lack of development(Again. Tim Stapleton scores at the same rate as Alex Burmistrov you can't deny it you can't change it that is a fact. in the KHL they score at a similar pace.)
I think it's best to flip him for a pick and wait and see what happens with the KH L to see if we can get a similar player for a cheaper price who doesn't have all the baggage with this organization.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
No
I'm saying given the baggage, the low production and lack of development(Again. Tim Stapleton scores at the same rate as Alex Burmistrov you can't deny it you can't change it that is a fact. in the KHL they score at a similar pace.)
I think it's best to flip him for a pick and wait and see what happens with the KH L to see if we can get a similar player for a cheaper price who doesn't have all the baggage with this organization.

What part of "an economic situation that leads to being signed decently" did you not understand?

Given the current factors it seems likely we can sign him for 1.5-3mil. That's exactly what that costs in free agency.

Baggage is YOUR Interpretation of rumours.

Forgive the rest of us for putting stock in verifiable evidence, in depth statistical performance, and rational logic process, not the latest gossip from the hair salon.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
No

Again though, I don't think there's much or any baggage.

He didn't get along with Noel, and wasn't happy with his usage. Seems pretty innocuous to me.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Also Tim Stapleton had great production. Per minute of ice time in the NHL. Usage is a massive driver of Boxcar performance.

Timmy stapes could probably have been 40+ point player in the NHL, its just no coach would trust him with that ice because he'd give up 2 for every one he scores. Tim stapleton could likely have been a decent scorer in the NHL, he's not some stone hands plug.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Again though, I don't think there's much or any baggage.

He didn't get along with Noel, and wasn't happy with his usage. Seems pretty innocuous to me.

Pretty much all of the Jets were fed up with Noel by the end, including captain Ladd.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
I totally agree he is just over a year older then Lowry I think he would respond well to a coach like Maurice If we did indeed trade him I think we would benefit from show casing him in our new system which seems to make everyone look good.I think Burmi's defensive game is already very good and would only get better under maurice I could see him developing a lot like Frolik has over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad