Alexander Burmistrov "will almost certainly return to NHL"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not saying he will get $5 x 5 but he is on pace to get over 40 points again this season as a very good, zero maintenance, defensive forward who can slot in on any line. That might get him close to $5 million as a UFA this summer given how terrible the market is and with the cap possibly going up. It only takes one team once they become UFA's.

I love Fro and hope we can get something done for less than that but given how he is playing and where our team is at he has all the leverage. He is proving last season wasn't a fluke.

I do believe something is going to have to give Buff is getting paid next deal, Ladd is getting paid next deal, Trouba is getting paid next deal and they are all due the same summer. Interesting times to be a team on a budget.

Yup, he will get at minnimum 5*4.25 imo. I would settle for Little type money myself as he's a very useful player at 5 on 5 and is a very good on the PK.

There is room for both Frolik and Burmie on this team. I'm not as high on him as others are but I think he'd give the Jets a good 30 points on the third line and contribute positively to the PK and possession.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yup, he will get at minnimum 5*4.25 imo. I would settle for Little type money myself as he's a very useful player at 5 on 5 and is a very good on the PK.

There is room for both Frolik and Burmie on this team. I'm not as high on him as others are but I think he'd give the Jets a good 30 points on the third line and contribute positively to the PK and possession.

Definitely agree. The key is will Burmi except a reasonable contract. IMO it won't be much more then what the Jets were offering before he left for the KHL.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Ps, do you not think TN will spend the needed money if we are not only a playoff team, but could be looking to be a serious contender by then? Certainly something could give when the time comes, but in your opinion where would TN sit with regards to spending and seriously competing?

I think the TNSE internal budget is pretty strict. I am not sure how they will adjust if playoff revenues kick in? I think the NHL can and will work in this market long term but I think it is skinny and the $5 or $6 million saved by being mid cap is needed IMO.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Cap

I think the TNSE internal budget is pretty strict. I am not sure how they will adjust if playoff revenues kick in? I think the NHL can and will work in this market long term but I think it is skinny and the $5 or $6 million saved by being mid cap is needed IMO.

I think this market can have a cap contending team that is still in the black. The reason to have an internal cap on a non-contending team is so there is room to bring in a couple last pieces. In 3.5 years of ownership the market value is up nearly 100%. That is where the real return comes from. Sure beats an index fund.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
I think this market can have a cap contending team that is still in the black. The reason to have an internal cap on a non-contending team is so there is room to bring in a couple last pieces. In 3.5 years of ownership the market value is up nearly 100%. That is where the real return comes from. Sure beats an index fund.

That's the reason to have a temporary internal cap from a management perspective. A cap from an ownership perspective is tied to revenue and is independent of contention.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I remember Lawless saying he expected Jets to be a third quartile cap team. So between $65-69M.

By my count that is basically $9M to sign Frolik and another forward to hit $67M.

I'd be happy if that is Burmistrov but I'd be fine if we looked at other players instead. In fact, I'd almost expect us to look elsewhere firs, and have Burmistrov as a guy to keep in contact with, but not sign until he's our best remaining option.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That's the reason to have a temporary internal cap from a management perspective. A cap from an ownership perspective is tied to revenue and is independent of contention.

It may be independent of winning the Cup but contending means play-off revenue which is substantial. For that matter I'm sure there are financial rewards for actually winning the Cup too.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I remember Lawless saying he expected Jets to be a third quartile cap team. So between $65-69M.

By my count that is basically $9M to sign Frolik and another forward to hit $67M.

I'd be happy if that is Burmistrov but I'd be fine if we looked at other players instead. In fact, I'd almost expect us to look elsewhere firs, and have Burmistrov as a guy to keep in contact with, but not sign until he's our best remaining option.

Always take the beat option. That being said, the fact the burmi is our RFA and the KHL is struggling means he has less money leverage then any comparable UFA.

Essentially due to lack of competition burmi SHOULD be the best doller/value player available, though steals are had on occasion.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm sure. But it's tough to guarantee/demonstrate how the extra payroll guarantees playoffs.

You can't demonstrate the guarantee because there isn't one but you can't make the playoffs or advance in them without quality players. They cost money. The playoffs are the best bet for additional revenue. TNSE has always said that they would watch the spending very closely but would be ready and willing to spend when the time comes.

fatschoonerrat

Jul 6, 2007
Charleston
hockeyfansunion.com
Always take the beat option. That being said, the fact the burmi is our RFA and the KHL is struggling means he has less money leverage then any comparable UFA.

This makes sense. He has also come out to say he wants to return to the NHL. Whether it's back in Winnipeg or a "trading his rights" type deal if he's not willing to sign a contract we want to pay, I doubt he plays in the K next year.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

There is no doubt the underlying asset value of an NHL team is on the rise but TNSE will want to remain cash flow positive year to year.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I really wanted the Leafs to nab Burmistrov, but throughout the entire process (benching, flight to KHL, etc.) the organization clearly always remained committed to retaining Burmistrov.

I expect he will return once the KHL deal expires, and Paul Maurice will be much happier giving Burmi ice-time and utilizing his skill-set.

IMO Burmi would easily jump into the top 6, but I think it's far more likely that he'd be placed on the 3rd line and given the chance to work his way up the ladder with solid play.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Skill for days

1) Ladd-Little-Wheeler <- zone 1
2a) Perreault-Scheifele-Ehlers <- zone 2
2b) Kane-Burmistrov-Frolik <- zone 3
4) Lowry-Petan-*someone* <- zone 4
Thorburn (sigh)

1) Enstrom-Trouba <-zone 1+2
2a) Stuart-Bogosian <- zone 2+1
2b) Morrissey-Byfuglien <-zone 3+4
Chiarot-Postma

Line/pair number describes icetime (lower = more)
Number on right describes usage (y-axis is linematching, x-axis is zone deployment)

Untitled_medium.jpg

PK1:
Kane-Burmistrov
Stuart-Bogosian

PK2:
Little-Ladd
Enstrom-Trouba

PK3:
Lowry-Frolik

PP1:
Petan-Little-Wheeler
Enstrom-Byfuglien

PP2:
Perreault-Scheifele-Ehlers
Morrissey-Trouba

Last edited:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Skill for days

Thorburn (sigh)

Chiarot-Postma

Number on right describes usage (y-axis is linematching, x-axis is zone deployment)

Untitled_medium.jpg

PK1:
Kane-Burmistrov
Stuart-Bogosian

PK2:
Little-Ladd
Enstrom-Trouba

PK3:
Lowry-Frolik

PP1:
Petan-Little-Wheeler
Enstrom-Byfuglien

PP2:
Morrissey-Trouba

That's the lineup I hope for, maybe post this in a different thread for some good discussion. Lowry and Petan on our fourth line would finally give us the depth we need. And that third line, wow!

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Skill for days

Thorburn (sigh)

Chiarot-Postma

Untitled_medium.jpg

PK1:
Kane-Burmistrov
Stuart-Bogosian

PK2:
Little-Ladd
Enstrom-Trouba

PK3:
Lowry-Frolik

PP1:
Petan-Little-Wheeler
Enstrom-Byfuglien

PP2:
Morrissey-Trouba

I would be so g darn happy if we iced this team. That's a team that can just roll and roll and roll (except the whole thorburn situation...)

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Hard to know what kossys numbers would be If the whole team hadn't been snake bit doe the first 25 games.

I hope we some odell esq numbers or more from him next year

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Hard to know what kossys numbers would be If the whole team hadn't been snake bit doe the first 25 games.

I hope we some odell esq numbers or more from him next year

Maybe Petan will be feeding him some saucy sauce next year but hopefully that the saucy sauce will be with the big club next year

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Maybe Petan will be feeding him some saucy sauce next year but hopefully that the saucy sauce will be with the big club next year

Agreed. Having burmi plus ehlers plus petan is helluva lot of talent to add without giving anything up off the current roster.

If bringing burmi back yo replace fro is the plan that's fine but we should flip fro for something if that's the case, though I could get behind keeping him if were in a playoff spot

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I think Burmi is the backup plan if Frolik doesn't resign. I think they'll keep Frolik right til UFA if we aren't able to sign him by then. We'll need him for the playoff push without question.

It's not like Burmi can sign with anyone else anyway.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think Burmi is the backup plan if Frolik doesn't resign. I think they'll keep Frolik right til UFA if we aren't able to sign him by then. We'll need him for the playoff push without question.

It's not like Burmi can sign with anyone else anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets plan to keep either Burmi or Frolik, but not both. Maybe Burmi is who they would want to dangle in a trade for a top-9 forward. Next year I think Petan and Ehlers might also be pushing for a spot on the roster.

Nice to have a bit of depth emerging in the organization.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Skill for days

Thorburn (sigh)

Chiarot-Postma

Untitled_medium.jpg

PK1:
Kane-Burmistrov
Stuart-Bogosian

PK2:
Little-Ladd
Enstrom-Trouba

PK3:
Lowry-Frolik

PP1:
Petan-Little-Wheeler
Enstrom-Byfuglien

PP2:
Morrissey-Trouba

That's a nice lineup on paper, lots of skill, but I don't think we would necessarily be better. A few teams, especially the West Coasters would hurt us and beat us. Our 2nd line would rarely have puck possession if Scheifele is the most physical player out there. Switch Ehlers and Wheeler and I like it more. Send Ehlers down for another year of development, and physical maturity, without burning a year of his free agency and we are better off. Lowry is a dominant player, still improving, I don't think he gets demoted.

You also demoted our captain from the PP, are you trying to say you don't want to re-sign him. I hope Enstrom gets demoted from the 1st PP, after Perrault has shown how a player who can move the puck and is a risk to shoot it too can improve it.

I don't mind the 4 line hockey idea, but you clearly don't like physical hockey, which is part of our identity this year, and Maurice's coaching style? Curious, as well, how important do you think faceoffs are towards puck possession?

I'd prefer

Ladd-Little-Frolik (all zones)
Perrault-Scheifele-Wheeler (offensive zone)
Kane-Lowry-Burmistrov (primarily defensive, some offensive zone)
Halischuk-Cormier-Thor/Peluso/Lipon (grinders)

St. John's

DeLeo-Petan-Blomqvist
Balisy-Albert-Kosmachuk
Jaffray-Copp/Lodge-Lipon
?-Olsen-Brassard

Petan, Lipon, and Kosmachuk give us some call ups, at least, as the best way to have depth as an organization is to have prospects with entry level contracts that can be brought up, which is what is currently hampering us (although O'Dell is an unused option)...

Question, how did you make Harrison and Clitsome, and their contracts, magically disappear from our roster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad