Alexander Burmistrov "will almost certainly return to NHL"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
In all seriousness, the recent situaton is good for the Jets because now all the cards are in Chevys hand. No doubt he could sign Burmi to a cheap one year show me deal.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
In all seriousness, the recent situaton is good for the Jets because now all the cards are in Chevys hand. No doubt he could sign Burmi to a cheap one year show me deal.

Agree, allan.

Even at $2+ mill, Burmi is an upgrade on our 3rd line.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
I'd like to see a burmi kane lowry line. Kane produced well with burmi, and lowry while lacking some offensive skill so far has been a responsible rookie and has done well with kane so far. i'd be very ok with our top 3 lines as such, not counting any rookies next year coming up.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
What's Burmi's contract situation with the Jets? How many years of control to the Jets have with him?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
What's Burmi's contract situation with the Jets? How many years of control to the Jets have with him?

The Jets have his RFA rights until he turns 27 or plays 4 more years in the NHL. He turns 27 in October 2018, but I don't know if he becomes a UFA on that date or if he has to wait until July 2019.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
So many possible combinations if Burmi comes back next year, AND the team re-signs Frolik, AND if Ehlers is ready (I think he will be). Not to even mention Petan, and the possibility that maybe a guy like Lipon or Klingberg is given a shot on the 4th.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So many possible combinations if Burmi comes back next year, AND the team re-signs Frolik, AND if Ehlers is ready (I think he will be). Not to even mention Petan, and the possibility that maybe a guy like Lipon or Klingberg is given a shot on the 4th.

I believe Klingberg needs to get quite a few games with the Jets this year or he is a FA. Both him and O'Dell will likely be gone next year.

I don't think either Ehlers or Petan makes it next year either. Burmi would be a big upgrade to the 3rd line over Halischuk.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I believe Klingberg needs to get quite a few games with the Jets this year or he is a FA. Both him and O'Dell will likely be gone next year.

I don't think either Ehlers or Petan makes it next year either. Burmi would be a big upgrade to the 3rd line over Halischuk.

If Burmi comes back he is a definite upgrade for the 3rd line. I have a feeling Ehlers might just be one of those rare players who makes it while still junior eligible. Agree there is a good chance Petan starts on the Rock, but he won't spend more than a year there. My guess is both Klingberg and O'Dell are around again next year on 2 way contracts hoping to crack the lineup. I don't see a big market for forward prospects in their mid 20's that have yet to find regular NHL work. Most teams already have a stable of prospects in similar positions.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
What a terrible year he's having, only second on his team in scoring!

:rolleyes:

Not to be a smart ass but the KHL is a crap league and Burmi is second in scoring behind a career AHL'er. If you look at a lot of the KHL rosters they are littered with AHL cast-off's too old for that league or guys the parent clubs gave up on.

That being said Burmi's speed would upgrade the 3rd or 4th lines and to his credit he is a forward who can carry the puck through all zones. Defensive play, PK Burmi would be an upgrade.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Klingberg is not old enough to qualify for group6 FA after this season.

O'Dell needs to play in 42 NHL games (playoff games count) or he will be a UFA.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If Burmi comes back he is a definite upgrade for the 3rd line. I have a feeling Ehlers might just be one of those rare players who makes it while still junior eligible. Agree there is a good chance Petan starts on the Rock, but he won't spend more than a year there. My guess is both Klingberg and O'Dell are around again next year on 2 way contracts hoping to crack the lineup. I don't see a big market for forward prospects in their mid 20's that have yet to find regular NHL work. Most teams already have a stable of prospects in similar positions.

My expectation is a year on the rock for Petan and finish junior for Ehlers. For all his talent Ehlers has not learned to play like a pro yet. I wish Halifax would trade him to a stronger team but I think he is their star ticket seller right now. If somehow Burmi does not come back then Petan might make it next year or if Frolik goes. If he can't win regular work in the top 9 I think they will send him to StJs to get lots of TOI.

While it is true that most teams have a stable of prospects those guys each only need 1 team to give them a chance. I'm not saying they will be in the NHL but I expect they will look for another organization that will give them more of an opportunity. They can see that they have no chance here and this will be a last chance for them. Or they may both end up in Europe next year too.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Klingberg is not old enough to qualify for group6 FA after this season.

O'Dell needs to play in 42 NHL games (playoff games count) or he will be a UFA.

I thought Klingberg was in the same situation. About 7 months younger. I stand corrected.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
My expectation is a year on the rock for Petan and finish junior for Ehlers. For all his talent Ehlers has not learned to play like a pro yet. I wish Halifax would trade him to a stronger team but I think he is their star ticket seller right now. If somehow Burmi does not come back then Petan might make it next year or if Frolik goes. If he can't win regular work in the top 9 I think they will send him to StJs to get lots of TOI.

While it is true that most teams have a stable of prospects those guys each only need 1 team to give them a chance. I'm not saying they will be in the NHL but I expect they will look for another organization that will give them more of an opportunity. They can see that they have no chance here and this will be a last chance for them. Or they may both end up in Europe next year too.

If you look at the return that Halifax got for Furcale, there was nothing that would help the team next year. So I don't think they're planning on Ehlers being around next year - ie they intend to trade him as well.

Which is too bad, because I'd like to see him come up and get his 9 games at the end of this year to help the playoff run.

seasontixholder*

So will Chipman let Burmi wear 69? I hope so. I never changed my Burmi jersey to a Trouba jersey. I mean Jarred Allen wears it and nobody says anything about it.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I could see us having a St. John's lineup that looked something like

Blomqvist-Petan- X (Maybe the X is an F.A., or prospect through trade, or Copp/Kraskovsky, moving Petan to the wing)
Balisy-Albert-Kosmachuk
Jaffray-Lodge-Lipon
?-Olsen-Brassard

Morrissey-Kostalek
Pardy-Kichton
Melchiori- (Karlstrom)?

Helleybuck
Comrie,

or just Comrie and a vet.

No more Cormier, O'Dell, etc, and note the number of Winnipeg Jets draft picks now in the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad