Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He signed for 8 years because we overpayed and gave him an 8M contract. Same goes for Brady.

The last impact player that had attained or was close to UFA status was Bobby Ryan in 2014.

If players have a chance to leave Ottawa they typically take it, barring a significant overpayment.

It is possible we re-sign DeBrincat but no one should be surprised if it requires a double digit average salary.
We've been attempting to resign guys in the middle or on the leading edge of a rebuild. UFA to be generally want to leave rebuilding teams because they tend to be 26-27 years old and sticking around means the last of their prime years are spent on a team with little chance of being competitive to the cup. When we re-signed Ryan, extended MacArthur, and Methot, we were entering a competitive stage, where as when Duchene Stone and Karlsson left, we were exiting or outright out of one.

Giroux signed here because we're entering another competitive stage. Norris, Batherson and Tkachuk were all willing to give up UFA years for the same reason, they believe in the group going forward. Hopefully DeBrincat will feel the same way and extend.

As for overpaying, Norris just scored in the top 15 in goals per game, he's in some pretty elite company in that regard and he's only 23. I don't know how much you expected to get him for, but goal scoring doesn't come cheap.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I never said anything about a discount.

What I am saying is that if a player has a choice to re-sign in Ottawa or leave via UFA to a more attractive destination, it is more likely they choose the latter.

We had to give Bobby what today amounts to a 8.7M x 7YR contract (until he was 35) to keep him an Ottawa Senator, and that was after a 48P/70GP season.

DeBrincat is a different case from the other players we've re-signed recently. He'll likely require an overpayment to stay given his ability to go whoever he wants after the 2023/24 season, whereas Brady and Norris weren't nearly as close to UFA status and therefore were more amenable to signing long-term if it meant getting 8M immediately instead of much less on bridge contracts.

Maybe. But we haven't been in the position to re-sign UFAs going into a window of contention (which hopefully, we are now) since the early Spezza/Heatley days, at which point we were seen as a solid destination. At that time, it was a "who should we keep" conversation, not a "who can we keep" one.

It'll be different trying to convince DeBrincat to stay and play alongside Chabot, Tkachuk, Stützle, Norris and Batherson in their primes than it was when we tried to convince Stone and Duchene to stay on a team that was going to suck for the next 3 seasons.

Will he stay? I have no idea. But it's not apples-to-apples.

Winning changes the calculus. Florida has never had state taxes and has always had sunny weather, but there was a 15-year period where players wouldn't touch either of those organizations and everyone was clamouring to go to Detroit or New Jersey. There was an era when Buffalo was attracting free-agents and everyone was trying to get out of Carolina.

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
If you said you had to choose between a Honda and Turdyota, and constantly referred to them as Turdyotas, it would be difficult for one not to feel you don't think much of Toyotas. What is sounds like you're saying, is you actually like Toyotas, but you're calling them Turdyotas to simply piss off the Toyota faithful.

Oh … i thinning you maybe taking my Ottberia reference to serious … I love Ottawa, it’s just a term use to describe Foreign country, Northern climate, high taxes…. Isn’t the walk to the car in February one of the main reasons we don’t go watch our team play?

Isn’t it true we are on most players NTC’s ???

Let’s face it … Torrberia isn’t as cold and they have way more money to keep players happy. Monberria sounds like a glass of sparking water.

Ottberia It is … until we sign a couple Stone/Pietrangelo/Eichel type acquisitions.

*stars players who come here with control of their destination.

Maybe Debcrincat will be the first since Bobby to decide to extend here after we acquired him without protection.

He and his American wife just had a baby - they have a few years to decide if the Kanata public schools are where they want to call home.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Oh … i thinning you maybe taking my Ottberia reference to serious … I love Ottawa, it’s just a term use to describe Foreign country, Northern climate, high taxes…. Isn’t the walk to the car in February one of the main reasons we don’t go watch our team play?

Isn’t it true we are on most players NTC’s ???

Let’s face it … Torrberia isn’t as cold and they have way more money to keep players happy. Monberria sounds like a glass of sparking water.

Ottberia It is … until we sign a couple Stone/Pietrangelo/Eichel type acquisitions.

*stars players who come here with control of their destination.

Maybe Debcrincat will be the first since Bobby to decide to extend here after we acquired him without protection.

He and his American wife just had a baby - they have a few years to decide if the Kanata public schools are where they want to call home.
DeBrincats brother played junior A In Ottawa for a year, he said he enjoyed it here.

Reactions: Sweatred

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
DeBrincats brother played junior A In Ottawa for a year, he said he enjoyed it here.

Yes he did say he enjoyed. I assume AD will enjoy his time here too. That will have little to do with wether he and his wife Decide to spend the next ten years here. That’s fully committing to the city and school system for a US family who could play wherever They want including at home in Michigan with all his grandparents.

Well see . I do think he’s going to have a fun year.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He signed for 8 years because we overpayed and gave him an 8M contract. Same goes for Brady.

The last impact player that had attained or was close to UFA status was Bobby Ryan in 2014.

If players have a chance to leave Ottawa they typically take it, barring a significant overpayment.

It is possible we re-sign DeBrincat but no one should be surprised if it requires a double digit average salary.
Overpaid. I mean. You say we overpaid. These are not significant overpayments.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Brady isn’t overpaid. I thought we closed the book on that last season. You don’t get that player signed long term for less anywhere. Seems to me like they nailed his value and the team nailed the term.

Norris signed a big deal, but if he’s able to continue to develop his game a bit he’ll also be more than worth it. Heck if he continues to score 40 goals as a top line centre he’ll be worth it.

‘Overpaid’ and fear of DeBrincat not extending, are just the last death rattles of some fans that are struggling to transition to being excited about all of the positive developments we’ve experienced of the last while. Players are developing into great players, great players are coming here, the GM is killing it this summer, and we’re all super excited to see how the coach moves the pieces around at camp.

Come on folks join team positive! It’s time…

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Dorion’s found an efficiency getting these guys their first “life long security ”contracts. They’ve all had injuries and are aware of the risk leaving money on the table. he’s centred a bunch of them around skilled, like minded buddies anchored by the the toughest kid in the league.he’s sold a positive environment and negotiated in some UFA years from these kids in exchange for $50+ million and a winning lottery ticket. Brady was the keystone and Norris, Stutzle and Sanderson hopefully follow him.

AD should fit into the group and like The environment. He has his first $12 million and it will be interesting to see if he wants to extend short or long term in Ottawa.

Last edited:
Reactions: armani and Cosmix

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Hey whaddaya know....an American star who doesn't think being able to golf every day and gambling every night is the greatest environment for a hockey player. Must be fake news. :sarcasm:

(His "country club" comments also don't say a whole lot for Mark Stone's supposed leadership qualities)

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Hey whaddaya know....an American star who doesn't think being able to golf every day and gambling every night is the greatest environment for a hockey player. Must be fake news. :sarcasm:

(His "country club" comments also don't say a whole lot for Mark Stone's supposed leadership qualities)
I don't get that from the article. Pacioretty said there was little accountability when he got there - which was before Stone - and it seemed he was talking about the outside factors more.

I have no idea what Stone is like in the dressing room but his intensity on the ice is not of a person who would tolerate a country club atmosphere.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Has it crossed anyones mind we just draft boring dudes who like to walk in parks, play video games, and go up to the cottage every couple of weeks?

Reactions: Sweatred

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Brady isn’t overpaid. I thought we closed the book on that last season. You don’t get that player signed long term for less anywhere. Seems to me like they nailed his value and the team nailed the term.

Norris signed a big deal, but if he’s able to continue to develop his game a bit he’ll also be more than worth it. Heck if he continues to score 40 goals as a top line centre he’ll be worth it.

‘Overpaid’ and fear of DeBrincat not extending, are just the last death rattles of some fans that are struggling to transition to being excited about all of the positive developments we’ve experienced of the last while. Players are developing into great players, great players are coming here, the GM is killing it this summer, and we’re all super excited to see how the coach moves the pieces around at camp.

The per usual lecture about the imaginary battle between good fans and bad fans. Yes, Senator fans are excited about the direction of the team with the normal amount of obvious reservations and fears that things can happen that all fans have. Some things will never change.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If we lose out on players who prioritize weather, nightlife and anonymity over winning and team culture, then I don’t want them. If someone chooses to play elsewhere for taxes/money or family reasons then i understand.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

My legitimate concerns about Debrincat can be alleviated by the Senators signing him to a long term contract at a fair AAV. Hopefully the GM will do it soon. Otherwise we will be faced with a Duchene situation again. Hopefully too, Debrincat can continue his goal-scoring ways.

Has it crossed anyones mind we just draft boring dudes who like to walk in parks, play video games, and go up to the cottage every couple of weeks?
No. :)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Maybe. But we haven't been in the position to re-sign UFAs going into a window of contention (which hopefully, we are now) since the early Spezza/Heatley days, at which point we were seen as a solid destination. At that time, it was a "who should we keep" conversation, not a "who can we keep" one.

It'll be different trying to convince DeBrincat to stay and play alongside Chabot, Tkachuk, Stützle, Norris and Batherson in their primes than it was when we tried to convince Stone and Duchene to stay on a team that was going to suck for the next 3 seasons.

Will he stay? I have no idea. But it's not apples-to-apples.

Winning changes the calculus. Florida has never had state taxes and has always had sunny weather, but there was a 15-year period where players wouldn't touch either of those organizations and everyone was clamouring to go to Detroit or New Jersey. There was an era when Buffalo was attracting free-agents and everyone was trying to get out of Carolina.

Nothin' could be fina than to be in Carolina in the mornin' !

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The per usual lecture about the imaginary battle between good fans and bad fans. Yes, Senator fans are excited about the direction of the team with the normal amount of obvious reservations and fears that things can happen that all fans have. Some things will never change.

I mean yeah I could have used mundane words like ‘reservations’ and ‘fears’, but that wasn’t what I was going for. I wanted to weave my writing so I could use the phrase “death rattle” in order to create an image of dying negativity. What’s the point of writing all these words if you can’t have fun with it.

‘Join the positive team’ was a loose association with joining the dark side, switch alliances, etc… tongue in cheek.

I never once mentioned good fans vs bad fans. That’s aaaaallll you and your strawman. Good fan vs bad fan isn’t the same as positive outlook vs negative outlook in my opinion, just so you know for next time :)

I disagree with several of the more negative minded fans in here, and have for years. I haven’t been referring to them as bad fans though, because that’s not really true now is it?

My legitimate concerns about Debrincat can be alleviated by the Senators signing him to a long term contract at a fair AAV. Hopefully the GM will do it soon. Otherwise we will be faced with a Duchene situation again. Hopefully too, Debrincat can continue his goal-scoring ways.

No. :)
For sure, at the end of the day a deal has to be signed, but unlike in the past, this team really is putting a legitimate best foot forward in this case. If he doesn’t want to stay it won’t be because the team is in the verge of collapse.

There is no way we run him into the contract season unsigned. That ship sailed with Stone and Duchene on it, never to return to Ottawa ports.

Reactions: OD99

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
My legitimate concerns about Debrincat can be alleviated by the Senators signing him to a long term contract at a fair AAV. Hopefully the GM will do it soon. Otherwise we will be faced with a Duchene situation again.
I think both sides would want the season underway to see how things go before any negotiations begin.

Actually as an RFA next season are we able to begin negotiations this season?

Reactions: Nova Stutzlia

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
I think both sides would want the season underway to see how things go before any negotiations begin.

He said that about waiting to see how the fit is on the W&M podcast.

He's able to negotiate now. Same as Huberdeau although Huberdeau was headed to UFA instead of RFA but that makes no difference.

Assen na yo!

Reactions: OD99

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I think that might be Jan 1 but I might be mistaken on that.

There's a lot riding here on in ADB's intentions. We've got him for a year. We've got a young competitive group with lots of Americans. If he likes the group, it doesn't take much to look around at the cap and salary structure and see where you fit in. If his pure intention is maximizing dollars, I'm happy to move on. But in reality, there isn't really much difference between a 65m contract and a 75m contract. Both are stupid amounts of money. I can't fathom how a 75m contract would afford him a lifestyle that a 65m contract would not. So, it comes down to the player and his personal motivations.

If after the year he's not interested in a long term deal at an affordable price within our cap structure, there will be lots of takers.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think with DBC, from the things he said in his interview on W&M is that they will wait and see the fit.

It makes a lot of sense because while he’s excited given what he’s heard and seen so far, he hasn’t even met the guys in person yet, or the coaching staff.

He has described himself as a guy who doesn’t like moving a lot, and given the arrival of his first child, I suspect he wants to sign a long term deal again when the time comes, but wants to make sure it’s a good fit wherever that is.

It makes perfect sense that he wants to see and test the fit here before committing. Given the room and the guys, I would bet that he’ll love the fit and end up wanting to sign long term here. It’s close enough to his hometown, his cottage, and the weather is similar to what he’s used to so I don’t think these would be issues.

Also, he’s a seemingly quiet family guy off the ice, and Ottawa is an excellent city to raise a family.

If PD has the money to spend, I’m not worried at all that DBC won’t want to sign here. He’s also right in the age window for this young team so a long deal would be perfect timing.

Reactions: PlayOn

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
We need to decide on an acronym for DeBrincat.

DBC or ADB?

Poxsonus

Jan 24, 2016
Saskatchewan
You need to be a bit more realistic in your cold house scenario. First off, most hockey players are from colder climates. If we really want to talk cold, we're talking December through March. 120 days. Within that 120 days, there is the Christmas break and the all Star. So, subtract 7 or so days. Then you have to look at road trips. How many of the remaining 113 days are spent in Ottawa. Half is a reasonable guess, maybe a bit more. Call it 60 days. Then you actually have to look at how many days it is actually cold in that 60 day window. This isn't the north pole. Winter is a fact of life.

Perhaps you can point to various players that choose a destination based on climate and also won a cup?

Stone is from the same neighborhood I am from in Winnipeg... Ottawa winters are something he grew up with
I grew up in Winnipeg and then Ottawa. Hands down I would take the bitter cold and dryness of Winnipeg over the slush and bone-chilling cold of Ottawa. The coldest I ever felt (other than falling through the ice on Lake of the Woods in January LOL) was waiting for a bus on Wellington when it was -20. I know this is a loaded question but which neighbourhood are you from? I spent a lot of years in St. B but bought a house in old St. Vistal, before moving on to Saskatoon.

Poxsonus

Jan 24, 2016
Saskatchewan
I have often wondered if there isn't another factor at work for those that seem to dump constantly on living in Ottawa (or another Canadian city). Maybe something negative happened that has caused a dislike for the city?
Can you imagine being a Leafs or Habs fan living in Ottawa and hearing the constant spout of drivel attacking the city (not the team) while you have to stand back and take it? Ottawa is an amazing city and I have fond memories of the time I spent there growing up. In some ways I think it is far superior to either Toronto or Montreal, however I consider those also to be world-class cities. We are very fortunate to live in Canada (although I realize that there are some here who don't live in this country).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad