Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
why nothing higher? if the cap is set to go up ....Also you have to look at the market aswell. Also Fiala got signing bonuses which also adds value

If he is dead set on say 8.1 longterm then the difference to me is not worth losing him over. Players in the high 7s and low 8s won't be line driving money anymore. Line drivers will get close to 10+

Fiala was coming off of an 85P season when he got 7.875M. DeBrincat is currently on pace for 68P.

Anything over 7-7.5M with what he's shown this year is an overpayment.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Not that it changes much but the better comparable would be to use the 2021/22 season for debrincat as well, no? Would be 78 points in 82 games

We're talking about what DeBrincat should get on his extension, which should obviously factor in what he's done in Ottawa thus far.

Fiala was an RFA when traded and got his extension before playing for the Kings, so 2021/22 season is more relevant for him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Fiala was coming off of an 85P season when he got 7.875M. DeBrincat is currently on pace for 68P.

DeBrincat had a significantly better prior seasons though, like not even close.

He's with a new team, and one that spent a lot of time struggling to score 5v5, a down season isn't that uncommon.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
DeBrincat had a significantly better prior seasons though, like not even close.

He's with a new team, and one that spent a lot of time struggling to score 5v5, a down season isn't that uncommon.

Players get paid primarily based on their most recent season, but I would also disagree about their play last year.

Give me 40P/50GP playing with Boldy and Gaudreau over 78P/82GP playing with Kane and Strome anyday.

Said as much last summer when I argued Fiala was just as good, but the consensus was that DeBrincat was a tier above for some reason.

DeBrincat isn't likely a 65P/82GP player going forward, but I don't know if he'll be a PPG guy again.

Getting set up by Patty Kane night in and night out obviously did wonders for his production, particularly on the goal scoring side.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Players get paid primarily based on their most recent season, but I would also disagree about their play last year.
I said their previous years, meaning leading into the springboard year. Fiala had 181 pts in 271 games the four seasons prior last year compared to 255 in 286 for DeBrincat. That's a huge gap, DeBrincat was is far more proven than Fiala was coming of one exceptional year.
Give me 40P/50GP playing with Boldy and Gaudreau over 78P/82GP playing with Kane and Strome anyday.

Said as much last summer when I argued Fiala was just as good, but the consensus was that DeBrincat was a tier above for some reason.

DeBrincat isn't likely a 65P/82GP player going forward, but I don't know if he'll be a PPG guy again. Can't understate how beneficial it was for him getting set-up by Patty Kane night in and night out.
Kane certainly is a factor, but Ottawa as a team has really struggled 5v5, well beyond what should be expected. There's a systemic issue at play that's affecting everyone,

Reactions: Relapsing

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I said their previous years, meaning leading into the springboard year. Fiala had 181 pts in 271 games the four seasons prior last year compared to 255 in 286 for DeBrincat. That's a huge gap, DeBrincat was is far more proven than Fiala was coming of one exceptional year.

Kane certainly is a factor, but Ottawa as a team has really struggled 5v5, well beyond what should be expected. There's a systemic issue at play that's affecting everyone,

I'm not paying DeBrincat based on what he did several seasons ago. I'm looking at what he did this season, to a lesser extent what he did last year, and to an even lesser extent what he did two seasons ago.

Fiala has been a similar quality player for at least 2 seasons before this one, but his numbers didn't necessarily reflect how good he is because he played on Minnesota's 2nd line beside worse players as the line driver, while DeBrincat is the opposite since has played shotgun beside a 1st ballot HOFer.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
We might have our strongest team next year relative to 2-5 years down the road… just based on timing of contracts + development curves
Absolutly!
People think everything is going to go smoothly and fall into place.
Like this season was not an example of thingssss can go wrong!
Before there was worst covid of the league for this team and before that the toughess schedule and before that the rebuild and blabla
People think if Chychrun and DBC leave after next year and Giroux retires ; Grieg, Crookshsnk and Kleven are going to replace them lol
The gap is MASSIVE between those players

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

DBC body of work will be taken into account. Also will probably have to pay a tad more than market value to have him play in Ottawa. Im okay with a 500-800k overpayment

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Just a strange thing to trade a known 7th overall for an unsigned player.

Never would have thought it would be traded without term or an extension.
It's absurd but watching him now I'm glad they didn't. He's brutal.

Which is why he is going to sign his QO and walk to UFA.

Reactions: Alex1234

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
They gotta get whatever they can for him so salvage anything before they lose him for nothing.
Absolutely. If Dorion makes that call which is very possible... He has a tendency to double down on his past decisions. I don't think they should qualify him .. and move him asap.. Better value would have been to move him this TDL but they wanted to play some "meaningful" games.
Roster construction is terrible .,. no depth.. When we lost a top 6 C that was exposed but it would have been exposed anyway.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
What other possible scenario can you see happening. If you're him it's a no Brainer.

Depends how much teams are willing to pay him based on his play in previous seasons.

If they think this year is an outlier and not his normal quality when not joined at the hip with Patrick Kane, maybe they still offer 7.5-8M on a long-term deal.

If that is the case I could see him taking it. Lot of risk in passing on a big long-term deal and gambling on yourself. Ask John Klingberg.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Depends how much teams are willing to pay him based on his play in previous seasons.

If they think this year is an outlier and not his normal quality when not joined at the hip with Patrick Kane, maybe they still offer 7.5-8M on a long-term deal.

If that is the case I could see him taking it. Lot of risk in passing on a big long-term deal and gambling on yourself. Ask John Klingberg.
He is gonna make 9 million and walk to UFA at 26. It's the best decision ever for him.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He is gonna make 9 million and walk to UFA at 26. It's the best decision ever for him.

Maybe. I think it's still more likely he gets traded to a team with a boatload of cap space like Detroit or Carolina that can afford to overpay on a long-term deal in hopes he returns to form.

But the unfortunate reality with that situation is that DeBrincat isn't going to agree to sign with the highest bidder just to help us. Acquiring team would have a lot of leverage and we wouldn't get anywhere close to what we gave up to get him.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
What other possible scenario can you see happening. If you're him it's a no Brainer.
or he locks in 8mill long term with ottawa with gauranteed money

There is risk involved for him if he has another season like this he won't get anywhere near what he thinks. Seems unlikely but he might want to cash in and play on a upcoming team. Best of both worlds.

DBC has never been the driver on his line.

If we’re expecting him to be the line driver for us on the 2nd line, we aren’t going to be pleased.
for 8 mill he probably doesn't have to be a line driver tbh if he can be a PPG with Norris or Stuztle then its easily worth it

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Absolutely. If Dorion makes that call which is very possible... He has a tendency to double down on his past decisions. I don't think they should qualify him .. and move him asap.. Better value would have been to move him this TDL but they wanted to play some "meaningful" games.
Roster construction is terrible .,. no depth.. When we lost a top 6 C that was exposed but it would have been exposed anyway.
Depth is lacking cause norris can't stay healthy and Formenton is part of an investigation. We lost both Pinto and Formenton on the 3rd line cause of that. We also got rid of Brown and Paul. Depth is not a DBC issue. Its a GM issue

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
or he locks in 8mill long term with ottawa with gauranteed money

There is risk involved for him if he has another season like this he won't get anywhere near what he thinks. Seems unlikely but he might want to cash in and play on a upcoming team. Best of both worlds.

for 8 mill he probably doesn't have to be a line driver tbh if he can be a PPG with Norris or Stuztle then its easily worth it
8 million for DBC is not smart for the Sens, whatsoever.

Not sure any team will give him 8 million. He’s not an 8 million dollar player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad