Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
It's not just points my man. He has only 7 ES goals in 66 games and is crappy defensively. I can give his PP minutes to Giroux and find a much cheaper two way forward who can score 15 ES goals a year.

He’s also our power play goal leader, which is the other side of the medal you’re nitpicking.

Forwards who score 15 ES goals a year don’t grow on trees either.

Reactions: DrEasy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I would move DBC unless he comes in low 7s even then... I don't think he's a great fit and his $ mess up quality depth. I'd rather put his $ and Joseph's $ towards 2 4-6 m$ type players one for the 2nd line and one for the 3rd.
Some one like Bertuzzi and Niederreiter
or Kreider and Miles Wood
If Formenton doesn't come back we need 1 more 3rd line winger. Someone like Scott Laughton would be good
We need to improve the depth at the expense of a high end expensive LW that isn't really versatile.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Yeah but. He’s never been like that in the NHL. (Obviously scoring is streaky). But everything else you mention. It’s not him. Outside of this season you’re not describing debrincat. He did have impact on games. He’s not unremarkable. He can control the O zone.
He's never been a dominant player in the offensive zone. He's always been a guy whose bread and butter has been attacking off the rush and producing on the PP, both of which were aided significantly by playing with a HOF calibre playmaker. This year his PP metrics are where you'd expect them to be, but his rush numbers have cratered. His in-zone offensive numbers are as pedestrian as they've ever been.

When his finishing goes cold - like it has this season - he just doesn't do enough to compensate for that. Most models already have him as a negative value asset this season at a 6.4M cap charge.

Reactions: Alex1234

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
None of those 3 players have double the assists as goals, guess they are not elite either then.
he could be first.... 9 playoff games.. the crazy bubble year. 2 goals, 4 assists

life time: 181 goals, 181 assists. they give 2 A per goal (for the most part). - 37 career (+/-).

that is not elite. That is offensive floater, not to be relied on. Add body size... Laine, Mathews and Tkachuk are big men

yes, Mathews and Laine are worse.. but they score more and while Laine is unreliable, Mathews is a PLUS player and has done well in the playoffs. And both are line drivers.
Jet.

last line: yes, Mathews and Laine are worse.. but they score more and while Laine is unreliable, Mathews is a PLUS player and has done well in the playoffs. And both are line drivers.

my apologies.. I inserted above it and it broke the message

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
To be fair he's a sniper and his job is to kind of wait in the weeds and try to get lost in coverage and get open for a scoring chance.

He's gotten lots of scoring chances this year. It's his finishing that has been the problem. No idea how he's messing up so many good chances.

I expected his shot to create more chaos on saves, he doesn’t get a ton on net and his shot isn’t heavy to create rebounds chances

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I expected his shot to create more chaos on saves, he doesn’t get a ton on net and his shot isn’t heavy to create rebounds chances

He has 135 shots at 5v5. That's 45th most in the league. Naturalstatstrick has a counting stat called 'rebounds created', I'm not sure how reliable it is but he ranks 35th there was well.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I expect that after Giroux's contract ends that it is quite likely he will retire which is why Ottawa may need to re-sign DeBrincat with a long term contract or lose two top six players. Ottawa does have some promising prospects who we expect should be good NHl players but Giroux & DeBrincat already are & the more good players on the team the better. While I don't think he deserves $8 mil he will lilely get it or close to it.

Reactions: Alex1234 and Yak

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
5v5

Debrincat/Batherson -11 469 min
Batherson without Debrincat -7 441 min
Debrincat without Batherson even 444 min

Tkachuk/Batherson -7 276 min
Tkachuk without Batherson +6 608min

Batherson without both even 161 min.

Batherson has not worked in the top 6 . The only time his head has been held above water was when he wasn't in the top 6. Unfortunately with Joseph injured there isn't really an option to bump Batherson out of the top 6.
Interesting data.

is Batherson that big of of a drag? he takes out himself and the CAT?
He has 135 shots at 5v5. That's 45th most in the league. Naturalstatstrick has a counting stat called 'rebounds created', I'm not sure how reliable it is but he ranks 35th there was well.
would you give him an 8 x 8? it is what he wants.

that is elite one that needs to go to a bigger man. A more consistent producer and per Methots' words..someone who can drive play.

I am not sure he is it

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Interesting data.

is Batherson that big of of a drag? he takes out himself and the CAT?

would you give him an 8 x 8? it is what he wants.

that is elite one that needs to go to a bigger man. A more consistent producer and per Methots' words..someone who can drive play.

I am not sure he is it

He hasn't just dragged down just one player. Tkachuk and Stutzle...

With Giroux 2.49 GA/60 385 min
With Jospeh 2.48 GA/60 72 min
With Batherson 4.52 GA/60 239 min

To be fair to Batherson. Giroux didn't fair that well with Pinto and Debrincat either. That second line has been a mess and I think all the three players share some responsibility but when I look at how those three have performed on other lines, Batherson stands out.

I would be fine with 8X8 for Debrincat, I would prefer to explore a shorter term deal. 4-5 year would be ideal for the team imo but it might not be something the player would go for. We don't know that the player would be interested in a long term deal either. I hope he is interested in staying because he can be an important part of the core and it would hard replace him.

It hasn't been a great fit to date but I wouldn't doubt the ability. He has spent most of the season with a rookie center and with two other right hand shots on his line. He is sporting a sub 7% 5v5 SH%. Part of that is probably fit but you can't rule out puck luck either. Debrincat will rebound wether it's here or elsewhere.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
He’s having a down year, likely lots of factors at play but he is not burying his chances. He’s getting the chances, if his shooting percentage was at his career average that would be a lot more goals.

I also “notice” the great shifts by ADC on the regular.

8x8 now, before the cap goes up, should age very well IMO (if he will sign for that).

Reactions: NB613 and H2O

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

However I am still not impressed. He might be doing things but I don’t think he’s doing enough

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He's never been a dominant player in the offensive zone. He's always been a guy whose bread and butter has been attacking off the rush and producing on the PP, both of which were aided significantly by playing with a HOF calibre playmaker. This year his PP metrics are where you'd expect them to be, but his rush numbers have cratered. His in-zone offensive numbers are as pedestrian as they've ever been.

When his finishing goes cold - like it has this season - he just doesn't do enough to compensate for that. Most models already have him as a negative value asset this season at a 6.4M cap charge.
Every blackhawks fan that came in here and told us. And on Twitter said he likes to hold the puck in the o zone and scan and skate with it. They actually watched him play for 4 years

Reactions: NB613

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Why do so many sens fans think this teams rookies are fully developed? Its one of the strangest phenomenon's i have read around here. Is everyone that new? Pinto is second in rookie goalies... Have you not been watching all the other young players improve. Its literally happening with every single young player on this team.
Okay so giroux and debrincat out, greig and pinto into the top six. And then who’s in our bottom six? Are we building something or building a carousel of players.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Why do so many sens fans think this teams rookies are fully developed? Its one of the strangest phenomenon's i have read around here. Is everyone that new? Pinto is second in rookie goalies... Have you not been watching all the other young players improve. Its literally happening with every single young player on this team.
You are 100% right. Apparently we have also seen Kastelic’s ceiling lol.

Reactions: bert

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
You are 100% right. Apparently we have also seen Kastelic’s ceiling lol.
Not what I said. But.

Do you guys think development is just a never ending positive path. If it was the entire league would just be first line super stars. Some players are what they are. They can improve of course. But they’re still “bottom 6 centers with low offensive upside” for example.

Maybe that’s too much nuance I don’t know

Kastelic. For example. As of now. Is an ok fourth line centre with some warts. Which I think it’s actually fine cuz I like what he brings. I like Kastelic.

I think he can become a very good fourth line centre. Do I think he can turn into a 20/20 third line shut down center? No. I don’t honk he can develop that much

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
He’s also our power play goal leader, which is the other side of the medal you’re nitpicking.

Forwards who score 15 ES goals a year don’t grow on trees either.
OK I'll take a guy who scores 7 ES goals if he can good defense and keep the other team off the scoresheet unlike Batherson. What's the point of scoring 25 goals a year when you are responsible for the other team scoring 35???

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Not what I said. But.

Do you guys think development is just a never ending positive path. If it was the entire league would just be first line super stars. Some players are what they are. They can improve of course. But they’re still “bottom 6 centers with low offensive upside” for example.

Kastelic. For example. As of now. Is an ok fourth line centre with some warts. Which I think it’s actually fine cuz I like what he brings. I like Kastelic.

I think he can become a very good fourth line centre. Do I think he can turn into a 20/20 third line shut down center? No. I don’t honk he can develop that much
Even if he doesn’t turn into a 20/20 guy, for Pete’s sake, the guy is a rookie. Maybe 10 goals, but he will be experienced. Smart. Savvy. That shit all takes time

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Even if he doesn’t turn into a 20/20 guy, for Pete’s sake, the guy is a rookie. Maybe 10 goals, but he will be experienced. Smart. Savvy. That shit all takes time
Yeah he will develop in these areas. To a certain point. And then he will stop.

Damn 10 goals what are you doing placing a ceiling on a rookie?! Thought they had no ceilings.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Yeah he will develop in these areas. To a certain point. And then he will stop.

Damn 10 goals what are you doing placing a ceiling on a rookie?! Thought they had no ceilings.
I said maybe, smartass. Maybe he becomes Jeannot. Marchment.

I do know this, and maybe you should too, is that all these young players will get better. If you don’t have time for that, cheer for the Globetrotters, where wins and smiles are always guaranteed

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I said maybe, smartass. Maybe he becomes Jeannot. Marchment.

I do know this, and maybe you should too, is that all these young players will get better. If you don’t have time for that, cheer for the Globetrotters, where wins and smiles are always guaranteed
Never said he wouldn’t get better.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
OK I'll take a guy who scores 7 ES goals if he can good defense and keep the other team off the scoresheet unlike Batherson. What's the point of scoring 25 goals a year when you are responsible for the other team scoring 35???

I don't think you're out of line saying Drake has been bad defensively, I definitely agree. I think he's been our worst player defensively this year, all positions included.

My point is that with his current contract, we can afford to be patient. As recently as this summer his contract seemed like one of the best deals in the league.

These guys aren't robots, especially not at his age. He's been implicated in major group accusations, he's coming off a big injury that historically takes time to recover from, and he's currently being coached by a frat boy.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Not what I said. But.

No one said that. The only thing that was said was they aren't fully developed players as rookies. Disingenuous response.

Okay so giroux and debrincat out, greig and pinto into the top six. And then who’s in our bottom six? Are we building something or building a carousel of players.
Wtf are you talking about. Scoring wingers are by far the easiest thing to replace. Giroux has 2 more years on his deal. Having young players develop is the definition of building......

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad