Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
No one said that. The only thing that was said was they aren't fully developed players as rookies. Disingenuous response.

Wtf are you talking about. Scoring wingers are by far the easiest thing to replace. Giroux has 2 more years on his deal. Having young players develop is the definition of building......
No one said they’re fully developed as rookies. Also…a disingenuous response. Not that I actually give a shit if you give disingenuous responses lol. But i did not say “players are done developing as rookies”

Ya ya I I keep hearing about how scoring wingers are so easy to find. Maybe the easier of all the positions to find. But it’s all relative.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
No one said they’re fully developed as rookies. Also…a disingenuous response. Not that I actually give a shit if you give disingenuous responses lol. But i did not say “players are done developing as rookies”
You literally said 'do you think players develop forever' in response to the post that said players aren't done developing as rookies. Maybe take a breather.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
You literally said 'do you think players develop forever' in response to the post that said players aren't done developing as rookies. Maybe take a breather.
Took a breath.
And still you’re the one being disingenuous. And again. You can be. This is a hockey forum. But don’t be the guy whistle blowing on “disingenuous post! Disingenuous post!”

“Context missing!” When you’re a culprit as well. Which again. Is fine. Someone people want to just log onto a hockey forum and give a quip instead of an essay.

In terms of Kastelic cuz that’s where this started. He’s not done developing. Fourth liners can continue to develop into better fourth liners. They may never reach third liner or second liner.

Players have ceilings. I don’t know what every players ceiling is. When predict. We guess. Becuase that’s what we do on a hockey forum.

Of course some of us are not savants of the game like some here pretend to be.

So. If Kastelic becomes something more than a very good fourth liner. (I think his ceiling is very good fourth liner) . I will be very very pleasently surprised.
If he doesn’t. Then I will scream that I was right and will lord it over everyone Thats argued with me on this until I die.

And you use the example “what about Nick Paul?” Well the difference for me is I saw it with Nick Paul. I always liked Nick Paul. When he was getting sent down I disagreed with it while some here were like “who cares we put a fringe nhler on waivers who cares”. I thought he looked good in the NHL. All the time. I don’t with Kastelic. So when i say I don’t think Kastelic is going to develop in the same way. It doesn’t mean I think rookies are done developing. It means in this particular circumstance. I don’t see it. I don’t see him developing in massive significant ways. Which is fine. Because I like him in his role right now and I think he can grow into his role. Of fourth line centre.

Last edited:

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Sens will want to use this year as the down year to sign him long term below market value.

He would want to sign a short term deal as he knows that this season is an outlier and can bank on himself returning to form next season.

This is what will cause an impasse at the negotiation table.

Personally I think he is a really good player and is needed on this team that lacks scoring depth beyond the top line. I believe he is having an outlier season where his shooting percentage is way below his average, the adjustment to a new team and city has had its effect as a young guy, and I believe with a different coach here I see him returning back to form. I am hoping he would want to sign long term and the sens get a better deal for it.

Reactions: NB613

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I expect that after Giroux's contract ends that it is quite likely he will retire which is why Ottawa may need to re-sign DeBrincat with a long term contract or lose two top six players. Ottawa does have some promising prospects who we expect should be good NHl players but Giroux & DeBrincat already are & the more good players on the team the better. While I don't think he deserves $8 mil he will lilely get it or close to it.
The drop is going to be massive when Giroux retires
So good in so many areas

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
I don't think the Sens can afford to lose both DeBrincat and Giroux. G will be done in probably two years, maybe even less because you never know how your aging body adopts to the game. We can't be sure if he is able to bring the same fantastic game that he had shown this season.
ADB is having a down year, but you can also never ignore the impact he has on the overall game, this also gives him the chance to grow.

Also, I would be really furious if ADB left without having had the chance to create some chemistry with Stu. We could have basically robbed ourselves a Kane-ADB like connection there. That would suck.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't think the Sens can afford to lose both DeBrincat and Giroux. G will be done in probably two years, maybe even less because you never know how your aging body adopts to the game. We can't be sure if he is able to bring the same fantastic game that he had shown this season.
ADB is having a down year, but you can also never ignore the impact he has on the overall game, this also gives him the chance to grow.

Also, I would be really furious if ADB left without having had the chance to create some chemistry with Stu. We could have basically robbed ourselves a Kane-ADB like connection there. That would suck.
What is his impact on the overall game? I have been watching him for 60 plus and some time in Chicago. He is a finisher that isnt finishing and doesnt bring a whole lot else. He has no physical impact, he isnt hard to play against, he doesnt kill penalties he is average defensively.

In two years time you are hoping that players like Grieg an Pinto establish themselves and start to take some of Giroux's minutes. Giroux quite clearly has gas left in the tank. When you have his level of elite hockey sense the drop off isnt as dramatic.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If he is traded I think the most likely suitor will be Detroit.

Yzerman just picked up a 1st in 2023 and 2024 and opened up a bunch of cap space for next year after trading Hronek and Bertuzzi.

DeBrincat would be a perfect fit for them and he happens to be from Michigan. They could easily afford throw a 8x8 contract at him.

Could see a deal based around Fabbri (replacement LW), DET or NYI 2023 1st and a B prospect/2nd round pick or two.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Greig if he comes back next yr a bit stronger could do a decent job in the role. probably less scoring but more defensive awareness

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I think he signs here

New management will get it done and there will be excitement in the air going into next season

We need to keep him as G won't be here long term. Also cap going up 8mill won't be much for a guy who will probably bounce back and get close to or above 40 in the future

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I actually trained our cat to stay in his room overnight. Worked like a charm for us

Shooter tutor is more what he needs. Absolute muffin shot

I don't have that luxury unfortunately. His litter and food is on the same floor so I can't really shut him out from those. Maybe soon when me and my gf get a place. Now he cries to go to the other floor at 4am but he's not allowed out until people are up for the rare chance he meows and wakes people up.

Union2017

Welcome to Ottawa, Michael Andlauer.
Feb 23, 2018
Ottawa
One thing I ready on the Twitter (I think it was Methot who posted it, not sure) and I do tend to agree with that - for someone asking for 9M, they should be driving their line. I don't see that from Cat so far. I like his game etc, and I am sure his scoring will go up next year, it's just that I don't see from him what I see from Stutzle for example.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Either way it was a great trade. Medium risk/high reward. Gotta take some big swings in this league.

Well it really depends on whether he re-signs and finds his scoring touch again or, if he doesn't re-sign, what we get in return.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I think this sets up for a shorter term deal to benefit and protect each side. If DBC signs for 4 years at $7.5 he banks a ton of money and is still set up to cash in on a big FA payday in a few years when the cap is much higher.

He can gain security and still bet on himself while allowing the Senators the flexibility to bolster the line-up so he has a better chance at winning.

Not sure he and the team will agree with my thoughts but being on a winning team sure seems to increase a players value on the open market.

Reactions: aragorn

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
One thing I ready on the Twitter (I think it was Methot who posted it, not sure) and I do tend to agree with that - for someone asking for 9M, they should be driving their line. I don't see that from Cat so far. I like his game etc, and I am sure his scoring will go up next year, it's just that I don't see from him what I see from Stutzle for example.
I agree with this in the sense that I wouldn't give him 9+M per year. I think he needs to be in the 8-8.5 range.

The thing is, though, he wasn't driving his line in Chicago so if Ottawa thought that's what they were getting with him, that's on them. And if that's what they wanted from a winger, they should've pushed harder for Fiala.

Debrincat is a trigger man. Finds his spot and has high level goal scoring abilities. The other elements of his game are just okay/good. From passing to skating to defense to physicality, he's not a standout in any category. I can't remember any impressive dangles or much in the way of high end creativity.

Scoring goals is his calling card. He was top 10 in the league in goals during his time in Chicago. He was close to top 5 over the previous two seasons (right up there with McDavid and Ovechkin).

Most of that came with Kane as his set-up man. That's why I'm confused as to why they haven't tried him with Stutzle. He's not Kane, but he's our version of him in the sense that he's our most skilled forward and is great at making plays with the puck.

Debrincat thrives with space. You see it on the power play and in overtime. I think a skilled playmaker helps create space for him (takes the attention off of him). I didn't mind the idea of him with Batherson, but it's been a tough go for them. Pinto doesn't do much in the way of creative playmaking. I'd like to see them at least try him with Stutzle.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
DeBrincat is a line driver. Many Chicago fans will tell you that he was doing most of the driving last 2 seasons in Chicago and during his best stretch here he was the driver on his line.

With that said, if he is isolated, not much else will happen as he isn't excellent defensively (he's above average) and he is not a factor physically at all.

I don't think we should let him go because he doesn't offer much. I feel we need to let him go because we need the assets on goaltending and D far more than another 8 mil winger who will be our 3rd best winger.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
DeBrincat is a line driver. Many Chicago fans will tell you that he was doing most of the driving last 2 seasons in Chicago and during his best stretch here he was the driver on his line.

With that said, if he is isolated, not much else will happen as he isn't excellent defensively (he's above average) and he is not a factor physically at all.

I don't think we should let him go because he doesn't offer much. I feel we need to let him go because we need the assets on goaltending and D far more than another 8 mil winger who will be our 3rd best winger.
DBC has never been the driver on his line.

If we’re expecting him to be the line driver for us on the 2nd line, we aren’t going to be pleased.

Reactions: coladin

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Who actually thinks DBC will get 9+ on a long term deal?

Methot seems confused about QO

Saying DBC is 'asking' for 9mill+ is false

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Think we can get him for Fiala price. Nothing higher.
why nothing higher? if the cap is set to go up ....Also you have to look at the market aswell. Also Fiala got signing bonuses which also adds value

If he is dead set on say 8.1 longterm then the difference to me is not worth losing him over. Players in the high 7s and low 8s won't be line driving money anymore. Line drivers will get close to 10+

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad