Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
He just doesn't mesh with Pinto and Batherson is a 5on5 liability in 2/3 of the ice. All things considered I think debrincat has been great and with Norris back he should healthily be an 8m+ player. If you can sign him for less long term from a 'down' year even better. Can't imagine him not signing long-term at this point tho, vibes are too good.

I wish we’d try him on the right wing.

Tkachuk- Stützle - DeBrincat
hard to break up giroux from that line but i'd love to see Debrincat with someone better through the neutral zone. Think it would do wonders for opening up his scoring ability if he had someone better in transition to play with

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I’m fairly certain we are keeping Debrincat on a long term deal. I don’t believe we sign him until next year’s cap number is finalized in June. I expect 8 years somewhere between 7.5-8.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
One thing you are right about is he is not a liability defensively. Debrincats been given every chance to succeed. He has missed alot of open looks. The fact you think he is better than Tkachuk is a statement that you have no idea what type of player Tkachuk is. Imagine thinking its a good idea to break up Tkachuk and Stutzle. Yikes.

He has played alot with Batherson and Giroux. Those players are very gifted offensive guys. Pinto also has a high hockey IQ. He just hasnt finished. You need to watch more sens games.

I think the sens need to find out about what is going on with Formenton before they commit a long large contract to him. The bottom line is he is the teams at best 4th best forward. Debatably the 6th. He is also pretty similar stylistically to Giroux and Batherson. High end offensive right handed shot forwards that arent fast or physical. The sens need another speedster in the top 6. It fits the teams identity. They need money to sign and extend Chychrun, Pinto, Sanderson and eventually Grieg. I just dont know if its the right dollars to commit.
I would agree if we already didnt know Brady - norris - Batherson is a legit first line. We know they work very very well.

I like him. Especially more recently. But I wouldn’t give him more than 7.5

We have Norris coming back. Norris is better than him in every way imo. So it’s not like we’ll be hurting offensively.
Could even try crookshank or Sokolov in his place when Norris is back.
I think he will come in at tkatchuks money

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
He just doesn't mesh with Pinto and Batherson is a 5on5 liability in 2/3 of the ice. All things considered I think debrincat has been great and with Norris back he should healthily be an 8m+ player. If you can sign him for less long term from a 'down' year even better. Can't imagine him not signing long-term at this point tho, vibes are too good.

hard to break up giroux from that line but i'd love to see Debrincat with someone better through the neutral zone. Think it would do wonders for opening up his scoring ability if he had someone better in transition to play with
He went from playing with an HHOFamer to playing with a rookie and one of the worst defensive player in the league this year .

He is built like a mini tank and does many little rad moves
With Norris or Stu centering him he should go back to 40 goals next year IF he is still here because like I said before Robertson, Connor and Fiala all signed for 7.8 ish and he is not better than those 3.
If he wants 8+ I think he is a goner

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I would agree if we already didnt know Brady - norris - Batherson is a legit first line. We know they work very very well.

I think he will come in at tkatchuks money
They arent producing anything close to what Tkachuk Stutzle Giroux are doing. Tkachuks physicality/protection allows Stutzle to be a real prick out there.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
They arent producing anything close to what Tkachuk Stutzle Giroux are doing. Tkachuks physicality/protection allows Stutzle to be a real prick out there.
Well they also just weren’t the same players a year ago as they are now. Sadly we don’t know where norris is at development wise.

Debrincats set up skills have surprised me. Before the Columbus game I think he led the team in primary 5v5 assists. He missed some glorious opportunities early but people also missed open nets that he gave them.

Makes me more curious how norris would do beside debrincat.

Reactions: bicboi64 and DrEasy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Well they also just weren’t the same players a year ago as they are now. Sadly we don’t know where norris is at development wise.

Debrincats set up skills have surprised me. Before the Columbus game I think he led the team in primary 5v5 assists. He missed some glorious opportunities early but people also missed open nets that he gave them.

Makes me more curious how norris would do beside debrincat.
Yeah me too, but he would line up alot better on his right side. Debrincat being a righty and Norris a lefty it wasnt a great fit in my opinion having him on his offside. Debrincat is an underrated passer and overrated finisher atleast this season.

I am not touching the sens first line its unreal so id rather they tinker with the rest of the forwards. Next year when Norris is back and the off chance that Formenton is back they have a chance to make two pretty balanced middle lines.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I’m fairly certain we are keeping Debrincat on a long term deal. I don’t believe we sign him until next year’s cap number is finalized in June. I expect 8 years somewhere between 7.5-8.
Info or personal speculation.

Yeah me too, but he would line up alot better on his right side. Debrincat being a righty and Norris a lefty it wasnt a great fit in my opinion having him on his offside. Debrincat is an underrated passer and overrated finisher atleast this season.

I am not touching the sens first line its unreal so id rather they tinker with the rest of the forwards. Next year when Norris is back and the off chance that Formenton is back they have a chance to make two pretty balanced middle lines.
Lol I think formenton pinto Joseph can be one of the better third lines in the league. If joseph keeps going as he is now and pinto facilitates those two going north south.

But I don’t think formenton is back

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Man.... sorry to barge in again but... there are some hot takes here... i don't like it at all and you guys are wrong, dead wrong.

First i'd like to say this, i think he hasn't had the kind of season i pictured, at all, production wise, other than that he is playing really well
someone above me says that he is liability in defense? lol....

His +/- - number doesn't mean a thing. also, that Kane feeding him thing, that is so old and simply not true..
the reason why Kaner scored so many points with Brinksy, was because of the Cat.

---

I still do not like how he, your coach uses him, his 5 on 5 ice time is a joke and is the biggest reason why he has not
been producing, not goals, nor assists.

The fact that he has been put to the 2nd line, permanently, is a statement that DJ Smith has no clue of what kind of player
DeBrincat is. If you just simply compare his ice time from last season and this season... 5 on 5 and total... its right there.

The players whom he plays with, are not good enough, their hockey sense is not even at the same ballpark what Brinksy's is
In yesterday's game, he was constantly open in the offensive zone, but he rarely saw the puck, chemistry issue.
Sure DeBrincat is the type of player who finds chemistry with lots, but you can't make <insert cliche>.
- and the type who makes players better, play better

If one want's 50+ goals, 100+ points from DeBrincat, he needs 22-25 minutes a night + correct linemates
-also... offensive zone starts... every single time you guys have offensive zone face-off... its Tkachuk-Stutzle-Giroux line..
- DeBrincat is a master of surprising goalies from face-off win situations, but no...

Its like.. your coach saw zero Hawks / DeBrincat's games, how he plays and such

----

1. DeBrincat-Stutzle-Giroux
2. Tkachuk-Norris*-Batherson
3. Joseph-Pinto-Gauthier

*when Norris healthy, Pinto there when not.

rant done :DD
George you're the king of hot takes

I like your lineup, unfortunately we won't see that this year.

22-25 minutes a night? Forwards simply don't play that much. There's 4 guys in the league at 22+. No one in the league averages 23.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
At 7.5 sign me up. Not sure it makes sense for him financially because he could just take the 9 QO and walk to UFA. Someone will overpay him.

But maybe he wants to be a part of what we're doing here. Chychrun trade probably helps.

Reactions: NB613

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Love the Cat, sign him up to a contract that fits. He’s not going to come in above Brady or Stu, I doubt anyone will for at least a few years when the cap goes up and an agent can justify inflation lol.

I can see Sandy, Chyc, and Cat all in the low 8 range.

Love the salary structure so far. Keep the core stars around 8 and we’ll have a ton of cash to spend on bottom six, bottom pairing. And goaltending as we move into our window.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Info or personal speculation.

Lol I think formenton pinto Joseph can be one of the better third lines in the league. If joseph keeps going as he is now and pinto facilitates those two going north south.

But I don’t think formenton is back
Personal opinion.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I love Cat, but I could also see him being our 6th best forward in any given year. He can obviously be one of our top 3 or 4 forwards in any given year, too, but there's a limit to what you can afford to pay him. The number has to make sense for both sides, and I'm not sure it will.

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
He doesn't come across like an $8mil player at all imo

But I do like him! Hoping the down year and league-wide cap crunch fals into our favour

Reactions: DrEasy

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I want him playing with Stu and Giroux, that line will score goals galore. Reunite the Chuck Norris line and Cat willl score 50g next year playing with Stu

Reactions: Keli

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I don't think he's worth 8M based on his play
I think he can get 8M from someone
I don't think Ottawa has much choice but to pay him
I think he'll struggle to get better offers than Ottawa due to the cap
I think we'll get stuck paying a 6.5M player 8M, but sometimes that happens.

Reactions: NB613 and bert

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
He went from playing with an HHOFamer to playing with a rookie and one of the worst defensive player in the league this year .

With Norris or Stu centering him he should go back to 40 goals next year IF he is still here because like I said before Robertson, Connor and Fiala all signed for 7.8 ish and he is not better than those 3.
yeah agreed. all he needs is someone to help facilitate through the NZ and i think it's night and day for him. batherson's foot speed is legitimately hindering in transition despite have great strength & hands and i just don't think pinto is good enough thru the NZ to keep up with debrincat. give him one of norris or stutzle and i think they start to see a lot more odd man rushes. batherson is great in the offensive zone with sustaining pressure but he just can't always push the pace when needed

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't think he's worth 8M based on his play
I think he can get 8M from someone
I don't think Ottawa has much choice but to pay him
I think he'll struggle to get better offers than Ottawa due to the cap
I think we'll get stuck paying a 6.5M player 8M, but sometimes that happens.

It's tough, because this could easily be just a down year as he adjusts to new linemates, a new system and a new city. I don't think at 8 mil he's holding you back, but it's as high as I'd go.

If next year he's back to shooting at 16% and scoring 40+ goals, your laughing.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Not like he is a 2 time 40 goal scorer and on pace for 50 2 years ago.
That's fantastic! Whenever he wants to start doing it here would be much appreciated.

That's a bit of a copout. He had so many chances in November, it was disgusting. And it didn't matter who he was with. He simply missed, put in the emblem, or missed some more.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
At 7.5 sign me up. Not sure it makes sense for him financially because he could just take the 9 QO and walk to UFA. Someone will overpay him.

But maybe he wants to be a part of what we're doing here. Chychrun trade probably helps.

The question is who will overpay him though?

Not many teams can fit in 9M+ in their books, and the ones that can aren't really playoff contenders

Reactions: DrEasy

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
It's tough, because this could easily be just a down year as he adjusts to new linemates, a new system and a new city. I don't think at 8 mil he's holding you back, but it's as high as I'd go.

If next year he's back to shooting at 16% and scoring 40+ goals, your laughing.
To me, it is the Bobby Ryan situation all over again. Clearly a talented player, clearly worth the money, but I think he'll struggle to be worth it. Bobby Ryan never achieved the results in Ottawa he did in Anaheim for many of the same reasons. God forbid he ever get injured

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
The question is who will overpay him though?

Not many teams can fit in 9M+ in their books, and the ones that can aren't really playoff contenders
Detroit can afford to bring him home. Hometown guy that signs long term could help them our in a variety of ways. Hoping that doesn't happen though, if Cat doesn't stick around, I hope he's not moved to a division rival

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think DeBrincat re-signs here around the $7.5 to $8 mil range for anywhere from 6 to 8 yrs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad