Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Nobody would.

He'd be the 1st core UFA signing the team has made under Dorion.

None of the other guys had signed on. Stone, Duchene, Karlsson, Pageau, etc. And all signed very big deals.

Unfortunately, these contracts aren't as easy as the 3 year guys like Norris, Chabot, Stutzle, Tkachuk, etc.
All those UFA signing and add in Turris , we got lucky we didn’t sign them .
Damn these long term UFA’s can bite you in the ass.

DBC would be RFA he signs long term this summer, 1 year from UFA.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I get your points and agree but there is some precedent for teams having an internal budget and guys buying in.

Tampa and Bruins come to mind right away and even Colorado to an extent. Although you have Mac coming up for a big payday he is clearly a superstar and a C so the difference is clear.

I am hoping he buys into what the players are buying in to - long term success.

Will be interesting and I think we can get a good return for him if he doesn't fit but I like him and hope he becomes part of the core.
Yes these types of precedents exist and Boston is probably the best example.

I think this is probably the only way that we keep him. He's a good player but he's a tier below our best. That should be obvious to him. If he wants to be paid as our best, it kinda says to me that he's less interested in winning or he's not being honest with himself.

That said, from what we know of him, he's married young, a father and likes things quiet. That personality I'm hoping lines up with our interest in signing him long term.

I've often wondered, apart from dick swinging, what's the difference really between 110 and 100M in career earnings? Either number is a stupid amount of money

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
He's a good player but he's a tier below our best.
This version of him that we've seen this year absolutely. But I have been impressed by his well-rounded game. He's definitely not a one-dimensional player who is not doing much if he's not scoring goals.

But we also haven't seen a version of him where everything he touches is in the back of the net, 'how'd that go in??' kinda player. His shooting percentage is lower than his career average, and he's scored 40+ multiple times in a young career.

I still agree that he's not our best player even if he was scoring more goals, but I also believe that we're not seeing the best version of him. If his current season is a baseline or low point for expectations, that's pretty good. I'm hoping they can sign him for 8.5 or lower, and make it fit. Having him around the same price point as Tim and Brady would be great.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
He’s been playing a notch better lately. Intensity increased. Nice to see.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
No chance of getting any of those guys

We will get less than what we gave up. All those guys are worth more
I mean Meier just got much more than the Hawks got. But there are no buyers left now that Carolina has made their moves. I still think they should trade him if he wont sign by tomorrow.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I mean Meier just got much more than the Hawks got. But there are no buyers left now that Carolina has made their moves. I still think they should trade him if he wont sign by tomorrow.
You're limiting your suitors if you're shopping him now. Some teams want to tank and the teams going for it are cap-strapped,

Also, let's at least wait for new ownership to try and negotiate a contract. Maybe they'll be more comfortable giving him the type of signing bonuses that we can't currently offer.

Reactions: OD99

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You're limiting your suitors if you're shopping him now. Some teams want to tank and the teams going for it are cap-strapped,

Also, let's at least wait for new ownership to try and negotiate a contract.
You are but you are also giving a team two playoff runs with him. Also the prices are higher now for immediate help then in the offseason. If he isnt signing now he wont be signing. He walks to UFA at 26 while getting paid 9 million.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I don't think he's signing for more than a year. It's pretty well-known he has his sights set on Montreal. I'd rather just gamble with a year of Cat than trade him for Dubois.
You mean riding Cat at 9mm$ next year and losing him to FA?
We need to recoup something back at least and can't afford 9 now
If not Dubois maybe Scheifele, Guentzel or Debrusk or someone

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
You mean riding Cat at 9mm$ next year and losing him to FA?
We need to recoup something back at least and can't afford 9 now
If not Dubois maybe Scheifele, Guentzel or Debrusk or someone
I'm way more certain about Dubois walking than Cat, but we still have time to see what new ownership does this summer so I don't see a reason to anything in the meantime.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I'm way more certain about Dubois walking than Cat, but we still have time to see what new ownership does this summer so I don't see a reason to anything in the meantime.
yeah

But Cat value will be less this summer though

Thats why it would be nice for PD to know if DBC is re-signing here

Reactions: bert

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
You are but you are also giving a team two playoff runs with him. Also the prices are higher now for immediate help then in the offseason. If he isnt signing now he wont be signing. He walks to UFA at 26 while getting paid 9 million.
It would have been interesting to know what that opportunity cost was this year.

It seems the extension and trade was taken away by the board or did I misunderstand that?

lunadio

Feb 8, 2006
-17 50 points gets knocked off puck very easily I think he was partly a product of Kane .he does have a good shot but its all the other stuff I'm not impressed with not 8+ million not even close just not a complete package and don't think he would be good at all in playoffs noticing his game isn't as good when it's ruff out there.

NB613

Jul 26, 2013
Ottawa
-17 50 points gets knocked off puck very easily I think he was partly a product of Kane .he does have a good shot but its all the other stuff I'm not impressed with not 8+ million not even close just not a complete package and don't think he would be good at all in playoffs noticing his game isn't as good when it's ruff out there.
All the tools are there. Want to see him with another coach next season.

lunadio

Feb 8, 2006
I may be mistaken but I don't think he creates alot by himself is mostly recipient of hard work by others . Defensively he is shit. That's what makes him only worth 5 to 6 million maybe???

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
I may be mistaken but I don't think he creates alot by himself is mostly recipient of hard work by others . Defensively he is shit. That's what makes him only worth 5 to 6 million maybe???
He creates a lot by my eyes. Great passer, gets puck on the net consistently, hits too many posts. He is so fast on his edges down the boards too, creates space out of nothing to catch on open man or fling it on net.

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
He's worth 6.5M, will demand 9M and probably settle for 8M. His extension money should go to Chychrun in 2 years if it's one or the other, budget wise.

Debrincat is a good player, but he's not an automatic goal scorer, nor a difference maker game in and game out. A complete defense core is way more important than a 2LW with plenty of internal replacements standing by.

Notwithstanding Debrincat's trade return:

Tkachuk - Stützle - Giroux
Formenton - Norris - Batherson (Belleville line)
Greig - Pinto - Joseph
Kelly - Kastelic - Gauthier

Chabot - Zub
Chychrun - Brännström
Sanderson - Hamonic
Kleven

Sogaard
Forsberg​

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
He creates a lot by my eyes. Great passer, gets puck on the net consistently, hits too many posts. He is so fast on his edges down the boards too, creates space out of nothing to catch on open man or fling it on net.
He's the definition of a line driver. Receives the puck in either the neutral zone or offensive zone and shields off defenders until he can make a play, then has the talent to make the pass or get a shot off.

Great, underrated player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad