Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

lunadio

Feb 8, 2006
I don't wanna knock the guy to much but I just think we can get more important stuff outta 8 million and I do think offense needs to come more from 5on5 play he is liability defensively 5on5 he is what he is I don't think he's getting near 40 goals without Kane feeding him .

SweSensFan

Feb 15, 2019
He's worth 6.5M, will demand 9M and probably settle for 8M. His extension money should go to Chychrun in 2 years if it's one or the other, budget wise.

Debrincat is a good player, but he's not an automatic goal scorer, nor a difference maker game in and game out. A complete defense core is way more important than a 2LW with plenty of internal replacements standing by.

Notwithstanding Debrincat's trade return:

Tkachuk - Stützle - Giroux
Formenton - Norris - Batherson (Belleville line)
Greig - Pinto - Joseph
Kelly - Kastelic - Gauthier

Chabot - Zub
Chychrun - Brännström
Sanderson - Hamonic
Kleven

Sogaard
Forsberg​
I don't know how likely Formenton is to play again. More likely we would have to replace him externally and I think we should if he wants 8M or more. Could stretch it and think that signing him around 7 could be ok but from what we seen this year his value is not above 6M maybe not even above 5...

lunadio

Feb 8, 2006
I may not be right but I'm not gonna take it back I'm not impressed with him not 8 +million worth .im not the only one that has the same thoughts thankyou.

Reactions: coladin

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
I don't wanna knock the guy to much but I just think we can get more important stuff outta 8 million and I do think offense needs to come more from 5on5 play he is liability defensively 5on5 he is what he is I don't think he's getting near 40 goals without Kane feeding him .

Some of it does come down to him and Batherson having down years as shooters. They’ve been 15% shooters in years past but this year they’re both around 10%.
Instead of being at 55-60 goals combined, they’re at around 40, and that hurts their +/- too.
Inevitably, your production is what it is and they need to find ways to put the puck in the net more, but they’ve had plenty of good chances and have scored at higher rates in past seasons.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Man.... sorry to barge in again but... there are some hot takes here... i don't like it at all and you guys are wrong, dead wrong.

First i'd like to say this, i think he hasn't had the kind of season i pictured, at all, production wise, other than that he is playing really well
someone above me says that he is liability in defense? lol....

His +/- - number doesn't mean a thing. also, that Kane feeding him thing, that is so old and simply not true..
the reason why Kaner scored so many points with Brinksy, was because of the Cat.

---

I still do not like how he, your coach uses him, his 5 on 5 ice time is a joke and is the biggest reason why he has not
been producing, not goals, nor assists.

The fact that he has been put to the 2nd line, permanently, is a statement that DJ Smith has no clue of what kind of player
DeBrincat is. If you just simply compare his ice time from last season and this season... 5 on 5 and total... its right there.

The players whom he plays with, are not good enough, their hockey sense is not even at the same ballpark what Brinksy's is
In yesterday's game, he was constantly open in the offensive zone, but he rarely saw the puck, chemistry issue.
Sure DeBrincat is the type of player who finds chemistry with lots, but you can't make <insert cliche>.
- and the type who makes players better, play better

If one want's 50+ goals, 100+ points from DeBrincat, he needs 22-25 minutes a night + correct linemates
-also... offensive zone starts... every single time you guys have offensive zone face-off... its Tkachuk-Stutzle-Giroux line..
- DeBrincat is a master of surprising goalies from face-off win situations, but no...

Its like.. your coach saw zero Hawks / DeBrincat's games, how he plays and such

----

1. DeBrincat-Stutzle-Giroux
2. Tkachuk-Norris*-Batherson
3. Joseph-Pinto-Gauthier

*when Norris healthy, Pinto there when not.

rant done :DD

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
DeBrincat an animal. I love the guy, but cap wise, I don't think there's a fit. If we extend him, it's because Giroux gonna be gone in 3 and he'll be major replacement for that.

Otherwise:

DeBrincat for Saros + Fabbro

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don't know how likely Formenton is to play again. More likely we would have to replace him externally and I think we should if he wants 8M or more. Could stretch it and think that signing him around 7 could be ok but from what we seen this year his value is not above 6M maybe not even above 5...
No one knows likelihood of Formenton playing here.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
He may not be having an amazing year goal wise, but he is an important player.

Having a scoring winger behind Brady who provides a totally different look has been great. The two top lines can both create offense and have been doing it more consistently throughout this run. Finally seeing the high-end scoring come together.

He can also pass well, skates well, and is tenacious. I think it's a pretty ideal scenario that he has a down shooting year while Brady and Tim show they are an obvious cut above at this time, while being locked in long-term.

No way Cat makes more than either, the team salary structure is pretty set for now.

Reactions: PierresGabriels

lunadio

Feb 8, 2006
We may be wrong but but I will just speak for myself it is of my opinion only I get the same impression of him as I did Heatley great scorer but only under perfect conditions sure he is better skater and bit of playmaker but he dishes to very talented line mates who create there own points I do have a question without that very good shot that is only at 10% for the year how much would you pay for undersized - 17 winger and its not a false stat not when you compare it to his team mates batherson has same glaring mistakes lack of effort back checking and losing his coverage down low hard to fix that you can score all you want but you gotta be able to defend to .again how much would you pay ??.

Keli

Oct 6, 2020
Important player for us, very talented player and creates lots of space in the ozone. But max should be 8x8. If he wants more we need to trade him and find a lesser replacement for cheaper. We need the cap space to resign chychrun and sandy in the future.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We may be wrong but but I will just speak for myself it is of my opinion only I get the same impression of him as I did Heatley great scorer but only under perfect conditions sure he is better skater and bit of playmaker but he dishes to very talented line mates who create there own points I do have a question without that very good shot that is only at 10% for the year how much would you pay for undersized - 17 winger and its not a false stat not when you compare it to his team mates batherson has same glaring mistakes lack of effort back checking and losing his coverage down low hard to fix that you can score all you want but you gotta be able to defend to .again how much would you pay ??.
I think you put DCat with Spezza and Alfie he'd look pretty good.
I'd like the number to start with a 7. I do not expect that. We'll see what happens.
He is not the #1 LW on this team. We have Giroux and Bath on great deals. It was a fun experiment but I think he gets moved and I think he should be moved along with Joseph and they should be replaced to provide more balanced scoring wingers that fit.

Reactions: Icelevel and DrEasy

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

He's been playing with Batherson for virtually all year and Bath is the defensive liability. The Cat plays good D.

lunadio

Feb 8, 2006
Awesome! thinking exactly same thing gives the team better choices

I've watched him he is absolutely bad defensively this is not on bath he has his own problems they are both suspect

lunadio

Feb 8, 2006
So many times I have seen dbc reach to try tying up stick and then it's oh well he beat me I don't want him on a playoff team period .

SweSensFan

Feb 15, 2019
He may not be having an amazing year goal wise, but he is an important player.

Having a scoring winger behind Brady who provides a totally different look has been great. The two top lines can both create offense and have been doing it more consistently throughout this run. Finally seeing the high-end scoring come together.

He can also pass well, skates well, and is tenacious. I think it's a pretty ideal scenario that he has a down shooting year while Brady and Tim show they are an obvious cut above at this time, while being locked in long-term.

No way Cat makes more than either, the team salary structure is pretty set for now.
I hope you're right. I like the player but just hope we don't overpay to much to keep him.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I haven't been super impressed by him, but I want to see him on a line with Norris, i.e. someone with some jam who can create some space and opportunity for Cat, and who can also capitalize on Cat's playmaking skills. Missing Norris has really affected our idea of what this team can be.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
My takes

We are lucky he is having a slower year, going keep contract numbers down. He will bounce back also, he is no one year fluke.

How long were we long for top 6 forward? The price is crazy and is very hard to get them.

Cat provides us scoring depth that we will need during cup run's and injuries.

Claudefather is probably going to retire after his contract or maybe one more year.

How many teams would take the Cat in their team? Sign him long term and not look back!

Norris back next year will get our top 6 straight, Pinto, Brass, Greig have no place in 2nd line Centers.

Sign him as early as possible on a discount , if he scores 40+ we pay too much now is best price we will ever get on long term deal. Give him 8x8Mil and move on.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
My main issues with him are two:

1. Finishing
2. Telegraphs passes alarmingly

If he had decent finish, he would be basically what we were hoping. In November, he was on fire and had so many Grade A’s that he couldn’t bury.

I think he has amazing chemistry here and I genuinely thinks he is enjoying his time here.

@GeorgeLeafer12 , there is no way DBC is taking Brady’s spot. DBC would work on the RW , but he insists on playing his off wing.

Tkachuk Stutzle DBC , we never had a chance to see it because of DBC’s preference

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Punctuation would certainly help but in sum: Debrincat = bad

• Haha
Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I like him. Especially more recently. But I wouldn’t give him more than 7.5

We have Norris coming back. Norris is better than him in every way imo. So it’s not like we’ll be hurting offensively.
Could even try crookshank or Sokolov in his place when Norris is back.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I may be mistaken but I don't think he creates alot by himself is mostly recipient of hard work by others . Defensively he is shit. That's what makes him only worth 5 to 6 million maybe???
This so off on 3 counts lol. Very very off. He’s the main creator on his line and has been all year. Just look at the first period against the jackets.

Defensively he essentially babysits Batherson.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Man.... sorry to barge in again but... there are some hot takes here... i don't like it at all and you guys are wrong, dead wrong.

First i'd like to say this, i think he hasn't had the kind of season i pictured, at all, production wise, other than that he is playing really well
someone above me says that he is liability in defense? lol....

His +/- - number doesn't mean a thing. also, that Kane feeding him thing, that is so old and simply not true..
the reason why Kaner scored so many points with Brinksy, was because of the Cat.

---

I still do not like how he, your coach uses him, his 5 on 5 ice time is a joke and is the biggest reason why he has not
been producing, not goals, nor assists.

The fact that he has been put to the 2nd line, permanently, is a statement that DJ Smith has no clue of what kind of player
DeBrincat is. If you just simply compare his ice time from last season and this season... 5 on 5 and total... its right there.

The players whom he plays with, are not good enough, their hockey sense is not even at the same ballpark what Brinksy's is
In yesterday's game, he was constantly open in the offensive zone, but he rarely saw the puck, chemistry issue.
Sure DeBrincat is the type of player who finds chemistry with lots, but you can't make <insert cliche>.
- and the type who makes players better, play better

If one want's 50+ goals, 100+ points from DeBrincat, he needs 22-25 minutes a night + correct linemates
-also... offensive zone starts... every single time you guys have offensive zone face-off... its Tkachuk-Stutzle-Giroux line..
- DeBrincat is a master of surprising goalies from face-off win situations, but no...

Its like.. your coach saw zero Hawks / DeBrincat's games, how he plays and such

----

1. DeBrincat-Stutzle-Giroux
2. Tkachuk-Norris*-Batherson
3. Joseph-Pinto-Gauthier

*when Norris healthy, Pinto there when not.

rant done :DD
One thing you are right about is he is not a liability defensively. Debrincats been given every chance to succeed. He has missed alot of open looks. The fact you think he is better than Tkachuk is a statement that you have no idea what type of player Tkachuk is. Imagine thinking its a good idea to break up Tkachuk and Stutzle. Yikes.

He has played alot with Batherson and Giroux. Those players are very gifted offensive guys. Pinto also has a high hockey IQ. He just hasnt finished. You need to watch more sens games.

I think the sens need to find out about what is going on with Formenton before they commit a long large contract to him. The bottom line is he is the teams at best 4th best forward. Debatably the 6th. He is also pretty similar stylistically to Giroux and Batherson. High end offensive right handed shot forwards that arent fast or physical. The sens need another speedster in the top 6. It fits the teams identity. They need money to sign and extend Chychrun, Pinto, Sanderson and eventually Grieg. I just dont know if its the right dollars to commit.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad