Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Here's the problem I see with DeBrincat

He's a very good player. He's been a bit snakebite all year but he's a very good player

But we need to give credit to how solid our young players are. And the contracts they've signed. Is DeBrincat a better player than Brady or Timmy? Imo no. So what do you do? Sign him at an AAV that is 1m above them? I could see that creating problems. If he gets in line salary wise, great. If not, we should move him.

If we move him, it's going to create a shit ton of noise. Meaningful games in March. We're pretty much there. DeBrincat played a role in that. He's contributing to the process of learning. We'll get something solid for him if we move him this summer.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

He's a very good player. He's been a bit snakebite all year but he's a very good player

But we need to give credit to how solid our young players are. And the contracts they've signed. Is DeBrincat a better player than Brady or Timmy? Imo no. So what do you do? Sign him at an AAV that is 1m above them? I could see that creating problems. If he gets in line salary wise, great. If not, we should move him.

If we move him, it's going to create a shit ton of noise. Meaningful games in March. We're pretty much there. DeBrincat played a role in that. He's contributing to the process of learning. We'll get something solid for him if we move him this summer.
I've used Fiala as a comparable contract before and I still think it's a good benchmark. He's just not a 9 mil player, we should be moving him if that's what he wants.

I think the time to move him is in the summer, but if the right deal is offered at the deadline you've go to listen; it's got to be a hockey trade not a trade for futures though.

He will be really hard to fit in under the cap if it's 83.5 as projected, even if he takes a Fiala deal. If we go that route, we'll have to be frugal on goalies and top 4 D, so no Weegar, Parayko or Pesce additions. We'd be targeting guess who are declining or unproven in the sub 3 mil range.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I've used Fiala as a comparable contract before and I still think it's a good benchmark. He's just not a 9 mil player, we should be moving him if that's what he wants.

I think the time to move him is in the summer, but if the right deal is offered at the deadline you've go to listen; it's got to be a hockey trade not a trade for futures though.

He will be really hard to fit in under the cap if it's 83.5 as projected, even if he takes a Fiala deal. If we go that route, we'll have to be frugal on goalies and top 4 D, so no Weegar, Parayko or Pesce additions. We'd be targeting guess who are declining or unproven in the sub 3 mil range.
DeBrincat at 7.5, trade Chabot.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

I honestly can't see him asking for $9m with term under any circumstances. I think he signs for around $8m/yr here with the Sens or somewhere else.

I personally don't see him as a guy who would prefer to uproot his life again if he can avoid it. I don't think he's a guy with a huge ego thats chasing max value on the open market. A gun for hire to the highest bidder....

He seems to value winning and being a team guy - and not the type that would be oblivious to having his teams highest cap hit (and therefore would have extremely high expectations of himself - ie unnecessary added stress to a guy who just wants eat Chipotle and raise a family in his downtime).

And I do believe he is smart enough to know that there's a lot of value in having an awesome room of guys to be around, and having a ton of offensive support to share the burden of scoring goals with him is a boon. Its another huge boost to the quality of life for a goal scoring winger on a long term deal.

Last edited:

Adrianopolous

Oct 5, 2017
Delray Beach, Florida
I honestly can't see him asking for $9m with term under any circumstances. I think he signs for around $8m/yr here with the Sens or somewhere else.

I personally don't see him as a guy who would prefer to uproot his life again if he can avoid it. I don't think he's a guy with a huge ego thats chasing max value on the open market. A gun for hire to the highest bidder....

He seems to value winning and being a team guy - and not the type that would be oblivious to having his teams highest cap hit (and therefore would have extremely high expectations of himself - ie unnecessary added stress to a guy who just wants eat Chipotle and raise a family in his downtime).

And I do believe he is smart enough to know that there's a lot of value in having an awesome room of guys to be around, and having a ton of offensive support to share the burden of scoring goals with him is a boon. Its another huge boost to the quality of life for a goal scoring winger on a long term deal.
He's an American living in Ottawa, Canada. I'm sure he'd be willing to uproot his life to go back to America, especially if the price is right. Let's not kid ourselves. The only thing saving us is that he's from Michigan.

Reactions: Cosmix

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
I have honestly no idea how well connected Steve Warne is, but on the most recent episode of his podcast he again brought up a message he received a few weeks ago from a "source close to the DeBrincat family" who insists that Alex is happy in Ottawa, loves his teammates and that he (the source) hopes Alex signs a long term deal as the team and the city are a great fit for him personality and family wise. Which if true really counters the whole HUR DUR AMERICAN PLAYER NO WANT CANADA TOO MANY IGLOO narrative that gets tossed around constantly.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I have honestly no idea how well connected Steve Warne is, but on the most recent episode of his podcast he again brought up a message he received a few weeks ago from a "source close to the DeBrincat family" who insists that Alex is happy in Ottawa, loves his teammates and that he (the source) hopes Alex signs a long term deal as the team and the city are a great fit for him personality and family wise. Which if true really counters the whole HUR DUR AMERICAN PLAYER NO WANT CANADA TOO MANY IGLOO narrative that gets tossed around constantly.
In this scenario, considering it's the source hoping and not the player, doesn't really have anything to do with it.

I'm sure DBC does love it in Ottawa, and would love to sign a 8 x 8.5/9ish deal here.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
In this scenario, considering it's the source hoping and not the player, doesn't really have anything to do with it.

I'm sure DBC does love it in Ottawa, and would love to sign a 8 x 8.5/9ish deal here.
8 x 8.5/9ish o_O for DBC. Would prefer to trade him, but he seems like a fan favourite for some reason. Will be interesting to see what the new ownership does with pressure to re-sign him.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
This is pretty much the exact opposite of what Darren Dreger said recently. He seems to think that there's a growing sentiment that DeBrincat isn't interested in extending in Ottawa; he likened it to a Pierre-Luc Dubois type situation.

So who knows.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
8 x 8.5/9ish o_O for DBC. Would prefer to trade him, but he seems like a fan favourite for some reason. Will be interesting to see what the new ownership does with pressure to re-sign him.
48 points in 56 games without playing with a top 6 center all season while also having finishing ability. Why wouldn't you sign him. His contract won't seem like much money in a couple of seasons

you are comparing UFA to RFAs

its a different game. Timmy as a UFA are getting more. The salary around 8.2-8.5 is not really an issue when Giroux is aging out

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Um... he's a fan favorite for great reasons. The question is, can we get him on a good value contract.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
This is pretty much the exact opposite of what Darren Dreger said recently. He seems to think that there's a growing sentiment that DeBrincat isn't interested in extending in Ottawa; he likened it to a Pierre-Luc Dubois type situation.

So who knows.
I take everything said about the Sens that comes from tsn or Sportsnet with a grain of salt, unless it's LeBrun or Bobby Mac.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

We can also pretend our core isn’t American (Brady, Norris, Sanderson, ADB, Pinto) and tell ourselves nobody wants to play here.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

The closest parallel to his situation is Fiala, I get that his QO is 9, but unless he is he wants out, it likely doesn't come into play since it expires after two weeks

I really don't see him getting over 8.5, heck, Fiala got 7.875 coming off a 33 goal 85 pts season, DeBrincat is pacing at 27g and 70 pts, and doesn't have the same questions around his size.
That said, if he does want 9, we should walk away.

Reactions: DrEasy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The closest parallel to his situation is Fiala, I get that his QO is 9, but unless he is he wants out, it likely doesn't come into play since it expires after two weeks

I really don't see him getting over 8.5, heck, Fiala got 7.875 coming off a 33 goal 85 pts season, DeBrincat is pacing at 27g and 70 pts, and doesn't have the same questions around his size.
That said, if he does want 9, we should walk away.
Absolutely, I was all over a signed Fiala, he's the better player.

Not sure the Sens want to go the arbitration route. Even with his down year, he'll still get 8+ million based on his past 2 seasosns, and no player likes getting brought through that process. Sens just went that route with Stone, and settled with the 1 year deal after not accepting his QO.

Debrincat has the name, and history, whereas Fiala had a 54 point season to his name aside from his 2022 season for his contract discussions.

DBC has multiple 40G seasons, and a 9 million dollar QO. He's already been valued as a 9 million dollar player, I'm sure his agent will expect him to be receiving 7 x 8.5+ deals at the minimum on the open market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad