Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Why did they keep teeing up Jimmy for the one-timer in OT instead of DeBrincat?

How many OT PP shots did he get? One guy never scores off one-timers and one guy lives off them...I don't get it.

Another very strong game. He needs to score but besides the puck going in he is playing great.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Competent team management means being able to get a top 4 D without giving up a PPG winger.

Cap.

We gotta

1. Sign Zub
2. Give Pinto a raise
3. Have another top 4D on payroll

Before Debrincat gets his 3M raise and there just may not be enough room for it cap wise.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
DeBrincat was brought in to score goals & he's not, doesn't mean he is playing poorly he's not, he's been playing well, but this team needs a goal scorer with Norris out & that's why they brought the Cat in was to score. The team as a whole are not playing poorly, they are in fact playing very well & just have these mistakes at the worse moments that cost the team wins. The goaltending has been good, but they need to be great when the players make those big mistakes.

They are getting closer each game & they are much improved from last season, but are snake bitten to win games in the 3rd period. I don't think it's coaching, I don't think it's Zaitsev, I don't think it's systems & I don't think it's Chabot. I think it's the mistakes at critical times & they need the goaltending at those times to make saves when the team breaks down. This is a young team learning to win & as soon as they do start winning I think they go on some good runs.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
His miss in overtime is his first bad miss of the season

The tkatchuk stutzle giroux line is starting to come back down. Get stutzle with debrincat.

Reactions: bicboi64

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Competent team management means being able to get a top 4 D without giving up a PPG winger.
Ppg wingers are not worth much in today's high scoring game. I'd take the high quality top 4 d any day.

Top 4 D are very valuable pieces. Scoring wingers are far less valuable

What value is DeBrincat providing? He's a goal scorer that isn't scoring

The tkatchuk stutzle giroux line is starting to come back down. Get stutzle with debrincat.
He had bad misses against Vancouver, Minnesota, and Vegas

Reactions: BondraTime

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He’ll start scoring, he’s looked great and there is zero reason to trade him for help on D In my opinion. I think he’ll be a big time scorer for us eventually.

We have the prospects and picks to acquire help on D of various levels if we need. No one is going off load a young star RD that would require us to trade Cat anyways.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

No way. Minny and Vancouver were horrible misses. And there are plenty more

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
While I am disappointed in his play so far, it's probably best to wait until after xmas before we start to worry about the kid. It isn't easy going to a new team with a (who knows what the hell it is) system and a lame duck coach. Not to mention he was lauded as the guy who was going to get us to the playoffs and turn the Sens into a contender over the summer. All that has got to be playing with his head right now.

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

There was a PP opportunity where he completely whiffed on a perfect Giroux pass in his wheelhouse with goalie out of position. That was the moment. That was the time for him to get his groove back. He didn't.

He hasn't been playing poorly, though. He's been finishing quite poorly, but hasn't been playing poorly. He's been utilized very poorly. That much is true.

Reactions: Alex1234 and DrEasy

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
They should try DeBrincat in the bumper role on the powerplay. That's a position where I think he'd find it easier to get open, and more importantly I think it's an easier position for the passers to get him the puck.

That cross-box pass they keep trying to him on the left flank is probably not going to work here. We don't have a high-end left shot playmaker like Kane to facilitate it. Not only that but there's no right-hand shot option for the top of the 1-3-1 either, so they can't even give him the simple ones like they did for Norris.

Reactions: Alex1234

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
They should try DeBrincat in the bumper role on the powerplay. That's a position where I think he'd find it easier to get open, and more importantly I think it's an easier position for the passers to get him the puck.

That cross-box pass they keep trying to him on the left flank is probably not going to work here. We don't have a high-end left shot playmaker like Kane to facilitate it. Not only that but there's no right-hand shot option for the top of the 1-3-1 either, so they can't even give him the simple ones like they did for Norris.
Agree
PP is a problem
They are so not dynamic its crazy
19th in the league with the firepower we have is unacceptable
Arizona is 4th at 27% hughh
Put the players that deserve it
G, Jake, Pinto , Brady, Cat

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
"We should trade Debrincat for a defenseman"

cover2.jpg

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
And like I said earlier ITT, we can get a top 4 D WITHOUT trading Cat. You guys are just asking for Hall for Larsson 2.0.

I don't know how many people actually want to trade DeBrincat for a top 4 D one-for-one. That's very unlikely to happen.

What would be more likely is trading DeBrincat for (hopefully) a similar valued package of picks/prospects compared to what we gave up to get him, then using some of those assets and some of the 8-9M in cap space that would have otherwise gone to DeBrincat to acquire a top 4 D.

Like it or not sacrifices are going to have to be made. It's very unlikely we can afford re-signing DeBrincat, Zub and Pinto, while also adding another good defenseman.

Reactions: bicboi64

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
I would trade DeBrincat very easily for a to-4 defensemen. Zero hesitation. More specifically a right handed one. And it has absolutely nothing to do with him as a player. He's great. The Sens just desperately need competent defensemen far more then they need another 8M+ winger.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I would trade DeBrincat very easily for a to-4 defensemen. Zero hesitation. More specifically a right handed one. And it has absolutely nothing to do with him as a player. He's great. The Sens just desperately need competent defensemen far more then they need another 8M+ winger.

I think you’re mistaking his value a tad, unless you’re planning on trading him for a top pairing D which isn’t necessarily our need

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
I think you’re mistaking his value a tad, unless you’re planning on trading him for a top pairing D which isn’t necessarily our need

Well how do you value him? If a top-4 RD who was stable defensively, wasn't on the wrong side of 30, and had some length to his contract then there is a very good chance I'd trade DeBrincat for him.

DeBrincat plays a far lower value position, has no contract stability, and isn't a huge need for the Sens given the structure of their team. I'd go as far to say that giving another winger 8M+ will be crippling for the Sens down the line with how much cap we'll have tied up in the top-6 and how thin the remainder of the team will likely be.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Well how do you value him? If a top-4 RD who was stable defensively, wasn't on the wrong side of 30, and had some length to his contract then there is a very good chance I'd trade DeBrincat for him.

DeBrincat plays a far lower value position, has no contract stability, and isn't a huge need for the Sens given the structure of their team. I'd go as far to say that giving another winger 8M+ will be crippling for the Sens down the line with how much cap we'll have tied up in the top-6 and how thin the remainder of the team will likely be.

Take a look at the winners and losers of top line FWD for top 4 D trades historically

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Marino went for Ty Smith and a third, DeAngelo is a dummy but he went for a 2nd, 3rd and 4th as an RFA. Toews want for two seconds. You don't need to give up DeBrincat as the asset, if you think he'll cost too much that's a different issue but if you want a top 4 D, you're usually better off trying to find someone undervalued with room to grow than trade a major asset.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad