Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I just feel like this is Bobby Ryan all over again. I felt like I was always waiting for Bobby to really get going in Ottawa as he did in Anaheim. I hope I am wrong, but Alex has not impressed me yet. Funny enough, I thought he looked way better in pre season.
It kind of looks like all of this to me
1. He will be open and wondering why he isn't getting the puck
2. Has the puck and thinking why are you guys in those spots. Or passes it and thinks Why did you do that with it?
3. Gets the puck in an awkward spot. Shit! You're giving it to me here?/now?

Perhaps it's just time playing with all these new teammates. As a team, with new players it takes time....he got a whole new team.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
im concerned. not panicked yet, but the lack of finish has to concern most. He's doing other things well at least, but he's paid to be a sniper.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Law of averages says with such a low shooting percentage, ADB will start scoring more eventually. The problem is that if we trend the same way losing games, and he starts scoring again in December or January, it could be too little too late.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
He just needs to shoot it like it’s the preseason I guess.

I think he should have at least 5 by now. They will come. “In bunches” they will come, as our commentators have said about a million times.

Reactions: NB613

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
1 goal in 11 games against a goalie. Plenty of opportunity. Plenty of high grade chances. And if he had 5 or 6 goals at this point, it's not hard to see how we have an extra 3 or 4 points.

He's being given every opportunity. Results matter. He's not getting them.

Can't say that I've watched a ton of Chicago hockey over the years. My expectations were certainly higher than what we've seen this far. I certainly don't see a 9m player

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He’s a great player to have. The way the Sens are built, they can’t fork over what it will cost to sign him. Can’t have that many big contracts tied up to the forward core, when your back-end is in shambles.

His money (or Norris’) needs to go to the blue line, it’s as simple as that. Their forwards are very strong, and they have pieces coming up that look to be top 9 players. They have nothing on the backend that will be top 4 players.

He’s a great player, he’s not as good as his stats over the past few seasons will earn him on a contract.

We got him for a reasonable amount, but that reasonable amount may come back to bite them.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
1 goal in 11 games against a goalie. Plenty of opportunity. Plenty of high grade chances. And if he had 5 or 6 goals at this point, it's not hard to see how we have an extra 3 or 4 points.

He's being given every opportunity. Results matter. He's not getting thpem.

Can't say that I've watched a ton of Chicago hockey over the years. My expectations were certainly higher than what we've seen this far. I certainly don't see a 9m player

He's being given every opportunity. Results matter. He's not getting them.

« He's being given every opportunity. Results matter. He's not getting them »

I thought you were talking about DJ for a second here

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
« He's being given every opportunity. Results matter. He's not getting them »

I thought you were talking about DJ for a second here
DJ can't make DeBrincat convert the opportunities he's had

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Can't wait for his career low 4.1% shooting percentage goes back to his career average of 15%, that'll get us more wins easily

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Can't wait for his career low 4.1% shooting percentage goes back to his career average of 15%, that'll get us more wins easily

We're trading for Patrick Kane?

The shooting % will normalize but I don't know if he's getting back to his Chicago numbers here.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
It kind of looks like all of this to me
1. He will be open and wondering why he isn't getting the puck
2. Has the puck and thinking why are you guys in those spots. Or passes it and thinks Why did you do that with it?
3. Gets the puck in an awkward spot. Shit! You're giving it to me here?/now?

Perhaps it's just time playing with all these new teammates. As a team, with new players it takes time....he got a whole new team.
This is how I'm seeing it too. The seam pass Giroux has been trying to give him from the complete opposite side through sticks is too much of a low percentage play. Batherson was over doing that a few years ago and it wasn't working either. Need to keep it simple. On the PP we need Cat and Norris in shooting spots and that opposing goalie is effed.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
The way the team is going, Alex is going to be traded at the trade deadline for a similar package the Sens gave up for him.

IF we trade Alex, we need to have a top goalie prospect included in the deal. Among the playoff race teams that would have interest, which have goalies we would like? Would the Wild trade Wallstadt? I wanted to draft him. I know they need to replace MAF soon, but there are always free agents available.

I like ADB, he's a great player, but I would rather save the $9 million from Alex for 2 $4.5 mil defensemen. Or a $6 mil and $3 mil D. Or a star $9 mil D.

xVolchenkov

Jun 21, 2011
Ottawa
I would still gladly sign him for 9m/season long term. No doubt in my mind he's going to start scoring sooner than later.

sensens

Jun 11, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I'm a bit on the fence with DeBrincat. He should have been able to bury a lot more of those chances, but at the same time I feel like they've never quite had a plan for his lineup role. During the pre-season everything was about the prospect of a DeBrincat-Stutzle-Giroux line, and then what happened? They start the year with 40G DeBrincat playing beside 35G Norris, who at this point have a combined 3G in 16GP (i.e. roughly 11G fewer than their goal-scoring pace from last year). Then after the Norris injury we see him playing with Brassard, and then Pinto... and now they're messing around with Giroux being moved off his line as well. That, despite the fact that 5/9 of his points were from scoring plays directly involving Giroux, and 3/4 of his other points were the result of PP goals where Giroux was on the ice as well.

If we don't see a fairly major adjustment in how he's being deployed, I don't think DeBrincat will sign a long-term extension... and I don't mean because of cap space or playing for a smaller-market Canadian team. He's proven he can be a 40G player in the NHL, and would reasonably expect to be playing with top-line quality talent. Yet he's been treated very much like 'maybe' the 5th most important forward on the team. Maybe that's to do with DJ Smith and his 'big-body' obsession, but they're never going to get full value out of DeBrincat by playing him like a 2nd line player and scrambling his line mates every other game.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I'm a bit on the fence with DeBrincat. He should have been able to bury a lot more of those chances, but at the same time I feel like they've never quite had a plan for his lineup role. During the pre-season everything was about the prospect of a DeBrincat-Stutzle-Giroux line, and then what happened? They start the year with 40G DeBrincat playing beside 35G Norris, who at this point have a combined 3G in 16GP (i.e. roughly 11G fewer than their goal-scoring pace from last year). Then after the Norris injury we see him playing with Brassard, and then Pinto... and now they're messing around with Giroux being moved off his line as well. That, despite the fact that 5/9 of his points were from scoring plays directly involving Giroux, and 3/4 of his other points were the result of PP goals where Giroux was on the ice as well.

If we don't see a fairly major adjustment in how he's being deployed, I don't think DeBrincat will sign a long-term extension... and I don't mean because of cap space or playing for a smaller-market Canadian team. He's proven he can be a 40G player in the NHL, and would reasonably expect to be playing with top-line quality talent. Yet he's been treated very much like 'maybe' the 5th most important forward on the team. Maybe that's to do with DJ Smith and his 'big-body' obsession, but they're never going to get full value out of DeBrincat by playing him like a 2nd line player and scrambling his line mates every other game.
Debricat - Brady - Giroux
Sokolov - Stu - Batherson
Keep the rest the same.
Lol.

sensens

Jun 11, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Debricat - Brady - Giroux
Sokolov - Stu - Batherson
Keep the rest the same.
Lol.

Well, if you expect DeBrincat to hit 40G. you either keep him with Giroux and try adding Batherson, or play him up on the top line with Tkachuk-Stutzle. The latter could make the most sense, at least in terms of offsetting the physical limitations of a 5'7-165 scoring winger with a 6'4-210 power forward.

Reactions: Loach

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

Debrincat gets the most ice time of any F and most PP time of any player on the team.

He is being treated like the #1 Forward on the team.

I think the PP needs to change up so he can get more shots but he wasn't scoring the same way Norris was. Norris was straight beating goalies clean from a pass from the point while the Cat has a great release too but was scoring more from cross-crease plays.

Reactions: bicboi64

sensens

Jun 11, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Debrincat gets the most ice time of any F and most PP time of any player on the team.

He is being treated like the #1 Forward on the team.

I think the PP needs to change up so he can get more shots but he wasn't scoring the same way Norris was. Norris was straight beating goalies clean from a pass from the point while the Cat has a great release too but was scoring more from cross-crease plays.

Yes, I can look up TOI data as well, but it's not the point. DeBrincat may be getting the most ice time among forwards, but Connor Brown used to do that too... it didn't make him the #1 forward on the team. No, if DeBrincat was really the #1 forward on the team, he would be playing regularly with Tkachuk and Stutzle.

Seriously, he's not even listed as a top-line forward or the #1PP unit in the daily line combinations...

Brassard was a PTO signing, and wasn't even on the starting roster when everyone was healthy to start the year, but now he's the center for DeBrincat? Pretty sure most NHL team's wouldn't do that with their #1 scoring forward.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
That second line was buzzing all night, he looked really good. Now he and Batherson can both whiff all night until the magic starts happening.

I haven’t seen two players that dangerous miss so many glorious chances together in one game perhaps ever…. Damn.

Treat to watch, you can see the chemistry forming.

Reactions: NB613

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
That second line was buzzing all night, he looked really good. Now he and Batherson can both whiff all night until the magic starts happening.

I haven’t seen two players that dangerous miss so many glorious chances together in one game perhaps ever…. Damn.

Treat to watch, you can see the chemistry forming.
Ya he was great tonight and looked good with Batherson. The goals will come if he plays more games like tonight.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Yes, I can look up TOI data as well, but it's not the point. DeBrincat may be getting the most ice time among forwards, but Connor Brown used to do that too... it didn't make him the #1 forward on the team. No, if DeBrincat was really the #1 forward on the team, he would be playing regularly with Tkachuk and Stutzle.

Seriously, he's not even listed as a top-line forward or the #1PP unit in the daily line combinations...

Brassard was a PTO signing, and wasn't even on the starting roster when everyone was healthy to start the year, but now he's the center for DeBrincat? Pretty sure most NHL team's wouldn't do that with their #1 scoring forward.
You probably should look up TOI data. Brown had a ton of PK time while DeBrincat is getting the most PP time - not comparable at all.

He is playing with good players all the time and not being slighted in the least. Brassars set him up for 2 incredible chances about 5 seconds apart. Dude needs to finally bury chances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad