Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
That was weird, but don't mind them trying something else when the puck hasn't been going in for him.
He had been looking better over the last few games in his spot. We were only up 1 and he changed their positions but then at the end of the game, we needed a goal and he put cat right where he brings, back on the left. Just dumb logic to try it for 2 min in a one goal game.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
He’s shooting 5%, way down from his 15% career average. He’s shooting more at a per/60 rate than he ever has (13 SOG/60, previous high 10 SOG/60) and the team around him is collectively only shooting 6.4% when he’s on the ice 5on5. Also has a low secondary assist rate so he’s not getting lucked into any extra points. All of this considered he’s still at 8pts in 9 games for a 72pt pace.

Goals are going to start going in for him and his linemates. Give him good minutes so he can fire away and he’ll give you 40+ goals.

Reactions: DrEasy and NB613

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I want to see him with Stützle. Pinto can play with Tkachuk and Batherson, it makes the match-ups a little more even especially on the road where we can’t seem to win.

Of course it should be this :

Tkachuk - Pinto - Batherson
DeBrincat - Stutzle - Giroux

Like Norris should have been in Pinto's place at first. When you try to force a square peg into a round hole too much, bad things happen (like Norris injury for example)

I have been trying to figure out what this management (for 6 years now) and this coaching staff (for 4 years now) is doing, I still have no idea

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
The Sens are going to be in a tough spot with Cat in my opinion. He's an excellent player and has shown it the past few years and absolutely deserves to get paid. I just don't think the Sens can/should be the team to pay 8/9M+ for an undersized winger.

Pinto, Sanderson & Zub all need significant raises. We also clearly need substantial improvements made to our d-core as a whole.

There is just no way 8-9M of our remaining cap is best used on a winger (albeit a very good one) when we have such glaring holes on positions that are way more important then a winger.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
The Sens are going to be in a tough spot with Cat in my opinion. He's an excellent player and has shown it the past few years and absolutely deserves to get paid. I just don't think the Sens can/should be the team to pay 8/9M+ for an undersized winger.

Pinto, Sanderson & Zub all need significant raises. We also clearly need substantial improvements made to our d-core as a whole.

There is just no way 8-9M of our remaining cap is best used on a winger (albeit a very good one) when we have such glaring holes on positions that are way more important then a winger.
Sanderson will take the dead cap money next year and Pinto will have to be bridged for cap purposes. Removing DeBrincat doesn’t make us better, it begins to create holes at wing especially considering Giroux’s age and Formenton’s situation. This team needs to be adding, not subtracting.

Our defence needs one more top four guy and Sanderson to be an elite number one. Not much we can do at this stage but wait for Sanderson to develop and try to make a trade/sign a UFA OR hope a prospect develops into one. But either way trading DeBrincat creates another hole rather than solving anything imo.

Reactions: bert and Alex1234

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Of course it should be this :

Tkachuk - Pinto - Batherson
DeBrincat - Stutzle - Giroux

Like Norris should have been in Pinto's place at first. When you try to force a square peg into a round hole too much, bad things happen (like Norris injury for example)

I have been trying to figure out what this management (for 6 years now) and this coaching staff (for 4 years now) is doing, I still have no idea
I didn’t mind the Norris switch and the lines were rolling in all fairness. But I think the Brassard experiment at 2C was a waste of time, he’s at the tail end of his career and was never going to be able to handle Norris’ spot. And long-term this team is better off if Stützle and DeBrincat build some great chemistry, we already know Norris, Tkachuk and Batherson work well together. I don’t particularly understand what DJ is waiting for there. Give them at least 10 games together and see what happens.

Reactions: Xspyrit and bert

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
Sanderson will take the dead cap money next year and Pinto will have to be bridged for cap purposes. Removing DeBrincat doesn’t make us better, it begins to create holes at wing especially considering Giroux’s age and Formenton’s situation. This team needs to be adding, not subtracting.

Our defence needs one more top four guy and Sanderson to be an elite number one. Not much we can do at this stage but wait for Sanderson to develop and try to make a trade/sign a UFA OR hope a prospect develops into one. But either way trading DeBrincat creates another hole rather than solving anything imo.

I agree that the Sens shouldn't be doing subtracting. That's a given. i just think the money should be allocated heavily towards defence as opposed to the top-6. When Norris went don't, on paper, the Sens seemed much better prepared to fill the position from within.

When Zub went down so did everything else. This team is incredibly fragile on defence even when we're at full health. When even one guy goes out this whole team doesn't have a chance.

IMO, its far easier to fill a hole at wing then it is on defence.

Sure perhaps we can figure out contracts for Sandy and Pinto but that still leaves Zub and an addition top-4 guy. The most obvious place for this money comes from not signing DeBrincat.

And this isn't to say that Cat isn't worth a massive pay day because I believe he is, but I just don't think we're the team to do it given the state of our defence and our other upcoming contracts.

The next issue comes when you realize just how weak the top-4 dman market is, which then begs the question, should we have kept our 7th and inevitably drafted one of the higher ranked remaining defenders. I'm sure the answer to that will be a resounding no, but at this point, it seems rather bleak on finding a way to add a top-4 dman any time soon.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Subbing in Formenton for DeBrincat this summer and allocating the extra money to re-sign Zub (overpaying if necessary) and adding a competent RD is a much better idea than throwing the bag at DeBrincat to be our 2nd line LW and 2nd PP shooter.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
Subbing in Formenton for DeBrincat this summer and allocating the extra money to re-sign Zub (overpaying if necessary) and adding a competent RD is a much better idea than throwing the bag at DeBrincat to be our 2nd line LW and 2nd PP shooter.

I agree completely. Not to sure how the RD market is this summer but hopefully its better then last season. I'm also not entirely a huge fan of Chychrun being the solution. He's left handed and has serious issues staying healthy which is already a problem with the Sens.

If the Sens keep struggling and if Cat is open to it i'd welcome a trade at the deadline to get some assets back if possible cause ya I just don't see re-signing him to be the best option, which I hate to even suggest cause I think he's been good here despite the lack of goals and I'm a fan of the guy.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Trading Debrincat for an actual 2nd line winger with a 2nd line price tag should be the move here...9 mil is first line money and we already have a first line wing at big dollars....

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I agree that the Sens shouldn't be doing subtracting. That's a given. i just think the money should be allocated heavily towards defence as opposed to the top-6. When Norris went don't, on paper, the Sens seemed much better prepared to fill the position from within.

When Zub went down so did everything else. This team is incredibly fragile on defence even when we're at full health. When even one guy goes out this whole team doesn't have a chance.

IMO, its far easier to fill a hole at wing then it is on defence.

Sure perhaps we can figure out contracts for Sandy and Pinto but that still leaves Zub and an addition top-4 guy. The most obvious place for this money comes from not signing DeBrincat.

And this isn't to say that Cat isn't worth a massive pay day because I believe he is, but I just don't think we're the team to do it given the state of our defence and our other upcoming contracts.

The next issue comes when you realize just how weak the top-4 dman market is, which then begs the question, should we have kept our 7th and inevitably drafted one of the higher ranked remaining defenders. I'm sure the answer to that will be a resounding no, but at this point, it seems rather bleak on finding a way to add a top-4 dman any time soon.

I think if the cap is 83.5 we’ll have a tough decision to make somewhere but at 86.5 we have the flexibility to do what we need imo. We absolutely need to re-sign Zub, I don’t think DeBrincat prevents that.

There’s a decent chance we don’t have money to make an addition to our defense next year, but to your point, the market isn’t exactly great either. So personally I don’t see the value in removing DeBrincat to sign an average defender. Also, the $ cost of a #4 shutdown dman, which is what we need, is generally not crazy high. If anything you move Joseph and a good chunk of his money upgrades the defense.

I think last year was too late for a dman as you need a few years for them to really come into their own. We need to compete now. We don’t develop defencemen very well and it’s hurting us… our best bet is that one of them pans out for us but we’ll see.

Reactions: Pinto Bean

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
ADB hasn’t even found his footing in Ottawa yet. The guy is lethal, no way to I want to lose him. We have a first lie winger making second line $$, it’s a wash. When our forwards get firing, with Norris back, it’s an impressive group. I hope we find a way to improve D but keep the forwards we have.

I think at some point we will get a new coach, that will change things significantly. Cat should be part of our core.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Hope he starts scoring more. He's been getting lot of shots and good looks but just not finding the back of the net. His shooting percentage should swing the other way and go up at some point, hopefully soon. We need that to happen as our playoff chances will decrease if we don't start winning more games before too long.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex1234

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Way too early to pass judgement on him.

He's shooting 5%, but he still has 8pts in 9GP. If that's what cold DeBrincat looks like, I can't wait to see hot DeBrincat.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Way too early to pass judgement on him.

He's shooting 5%, but he still has 8pts in 9GP. If that's what cold DeBrincat looks like, I can't wait to see hot DeBrincat.
My issue isn't his offense, it is the way he plays without the puck and also the fact that he has gotten picked quite a few times by opposing teams recently. He needs to improve on his back check and also the way he does business in the offensive zone. He has been coasting a lot recently, with not much jam to his game. When i saw him in the pre season I guess I expected a small player that is built like a brick and plays tough. Lately what I'm seeing is a player who looks timid. I want this guy to succeed, but I am not going to hold back criticism.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad