Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Way too early to pass judgement on him.

He's shooting 5%, but he still has 8pts in 9GP. If that's what cold DeBrincat looks like, I can't wait to see hot DeBrincat.
Yes, from a statistical trend or pendulum perspective, his percentage should swing upwards and be better eventually.

We need him to score more goals though given the high acquisition cost that it took to get him.

From an Eastern Conference perspective, we are the 15th seed. We need to string some wins together to start that climb back to the 8th seed fairly soon if we want to have a decent chance at the playoffs. American Thanksgiving is just 20 days from now. So, we'll need more production from players like Debrincat.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Yes, from a statistical trend or pendulum perspective, his percentage should swing upwards and be better eventually.

We need him to score more goals though given the high acquisition cost that it took to get him.

From an Eastern Conference perspective, we are the 15th seed. We need to string some wins together to start that climb back to the 8th seed fairly soon if we want to have a decent chance at the playoffs. So, we'll need more production from players like Debrincat.
Although true, we have games in hand on most of the teams ahead of us, have had one of the harder schedules to start, are missing Norris and Zub - key, impact players - and are 1/6 teams with a positive goal differential in the conference. I'd say the results have been somewhat skewed against and it's bound to start turning the other way. I wouldn't be prone to panic just yet.

Even the Vegas game, we outshot them 46-32 and they blocked another 21 shots vs 7 for us. So total shot attempts were 67 to 39. They capitalized on some unfortunate turnovers and a goalie who had a bit of an off night. These things are the marginal differences at the NHL level that are enough to put a W in one team's column, even if they didn't strictly deserve it.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Although true, we have games in hand on most of the teams ahead of us, have had one of the harder schedules to start, are missing Norris and Zub - key, impact players - and are 1/6 teams with a positive goal differential in the conference. I'd say the results have been somewhat skewed against and it's bound to start turning the other way. I wouldn't be prone to panic just yet.

Even the Vegas game, we outshot them 46-32 and they blocked another 21 shots vs 7 for us. So total shot attempts were 67 to 39. They capitalized on some unfortunate turnovers and a goalie who had a bit of an off night. These things are the marginal differences at the NHL level that are enough to put a W in one team's column, even if they didn't strictly deserve it.
Oh, I am still hopeful. Having said that, Norris could be out for the season. Teams have injuries. The good teams have players step up and find ways to win regardless though.

I watch the games and know the stats. The give-aways have been egregious though, both in terms of quantity and quality. Hard to win when you set up the opposing team with glorious scoring chances.

I see encouraging signs, but it still needs to translate to Ws in the end. A sign of a really good team is to eke out some dirty wins. We haven't been doing that so far. Wins are the ultimate goal & the real meaningful thing ultimately.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

We have like 1 game in hand over most teams

We are 2nd last in the east. The team has to be extremely desperate and play above .500 for the next 10 games to get back into it or they are dead in the water

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
Yeah, he ain't it.

Hasn't passed the eye test once as a difference maker despite the points.

Paying a 5'7" winger 8-9M/year is not the way to go for this team. Use the money to fix the defense, and perhaps the coaching. Then sign a Kubalik/Rodrigues type in the offseason to fill the hole upfront.

dpw

Jul 29, 2004
Yeah, he ain't it.

Paying a 5'7" winger 8-9M/year is not the way to go for this team. Use the money to fix the defense, and perhaps the coaching. Then sign a Kubalik/Rodrigues type in the offseason to fill the hole upfront.

Agree. Trade him at the deadline.

Reactions: Alex1234

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Yeah, he ain't it.

I have to agree...maybe he will start scoring in bunches, but that money could be spent on a bonafide d man.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Willing to give him a chance with a new coach but honestly we should use him to trade for a top 4 D man.

Chrychrun come on down baby

Reactions: KingAlfie11

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
He's like at 4% shooting percentage or something. He'll go up to around 10-12% and end the season with 30-35 goals, which is fine. If he gets 40+ goals it's gravy. I'm not super opposed to trading him but it's going to look just terrible on our org to do a sign and trade like this, especially in the first year of the deal. For that reason alone I doubt Dorion or NewGM do it. Although NewGM won't have an attachment to him so...

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
I haven’t seen anything special from #12 yet at all. What a disappointment.
You can see that it's there, just needs to come together. He isn't potting 40+ goals this year, I was hoping for him to at least hit 30, even thats looking like a bit of a reach.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
He's like at 4% shooting percentage or something. He'll go up to around 10-12% and end the season with 30-35 goals, which is fine. If he gets 40+ goals it's gravy. I'm not super opposed to trading him but it's going to look just terrible on our org to do a sign and trade like this, especially in the first year of the deal. For that reason alone I doubt Dorion or NewGM do it. Although NewGM won't have an attachment to him so...
DeBrincat hitting 30-35 at this point is a miracle, not a given.

Sens9292

Oct 5, 2019
He's like at 4% shooting percentage or something. He'll go up to around 10-12% and end the season with 30-35 goals, which is fine. If he gets 40+ goals it's gravy. I'm not super opposed to trading him but it's going to look just terrible on our org to do a sign and trade like this, especially in the first year of the deal. For that reason alone I doubt Dorion or NewGM do it. Although NewGM won't have an attachment He's like at 4% shooting percentage or something. He'll go up to around 10-12% and end the season with 30-35 goals, which is fine. If he gets 40+ goals it's gravy. I'm not super opposed to trading him but it's going to look just terrible on our org to do a sign and trade like this, especially in the first year of the deal. For that reason alone I doubt Dorion or NewGM do it. Although NewGM won't have an attachment to him so...
Can’t be paying a 30 goal winger 9+million

Reactions: NB613 and gab6511

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
Not a fan of trading him at all, especially not for someone like Chychrun, but it depends on the money the Cat expects.

He is shooting at 4% now and still has 9pts in 11 games. He just came here 11 games ago, guys. Give it some time.
He is obviously fighting and will get going. Even if his shooting only goes up to 8%, he will be outscoring anyone. Don't forget that Stützle had similar starts the last 2 seasons and got better as the season went on. Yes, Stützle is younger, but DeBrincat is in a new situation as well with his first team change. 11 games are nothing, especially with DJ 'let's switch the lines up thrice per game' Smith.

Also, if he does finish like this, view it as a big chance to sign a great goal scorer for a low price in his down season.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
I just feel like this is Bobby Ryan all over again. I felt like I was always waiting for Bobby to really get going in Ottawa as he did in Anaheim. I hope I am wrong, but Alex has not impressed me yet. Funny enough, I thought he looked way better in pre season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad