Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I would try DeBrincat in Stutzle's spot on the left side and see how effective the PP is with two excellent one-timer threats.

Having a 40G scorer sitting on the bench while lesser players try to score on the PP is stupid and counterproductive if we're trying to re-sign him.
PP is running at 25%, despite a slow start in Buffalo. Not sure why we need to shake things up at the moment.

Reactions: aragorn

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
I agree switching DeBrincat and Stutzle on the powerplay

I want to see how our powerplay looks when the one time treat is from both sides. Stutzle can work real well with Giroux and Pinto on the 2nd powerplay unit. This could also help Stu and Giroux switch sides too, to open up one-timer options for both

Last edited:
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
PP is running at 25%, despite a slow start in Buffalo. Not sure why we need to shake things up at the moment.

I don't think Stutzle or Norris have had a lot to do with that though. Been disappointed with them to start the year.

It's nice having two capable PP groups for once but I would still rather we stack the first group, given that the guys who start the PP usually use up the majority of the PP time.

Stutzle is a #1 PP guy on the majority of teams in this league but I think DeBrincat brings more to the table on the PP given he's a dual threat shooting and passing option. Giving Chabot two significant shooting threats at the top of the umbrella would open up more opportunities for both DeBrincat and Norris, as I've noticed teams really keying in on Norris this year knowing that Stutzle doesn't have the shot to beat the goalie clean from the left side.

And from a manager's perspective, I can't see DeBrincat relegated to the #2 PP helping sell him on staying in Ottawa long-term.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We don’t have a #2 PP though. They have started with the fresh group or the hot group by the looks of it.

Both groups are stacked, the only position in question is Brady’s spot on the other unit. Swapping Stu and Norris removes a shooter from one unit, and a playmaker/shooting threat from the other.

In my opinion that makes both units weaker. Stinks a far more mobile threat than Cat is on the PP, and attacks the net before dishing to Bath, Chabot, or across to Norris if a deal opens. Cat plays Norris on the other side, he’s not the playmaking threat.

As for Cat, if he doesn’t want to adapt to being on a deep team that has 6 guys in the top six that can score, then he is welcome to try and score more on a lesser team.

But in my opinion he’s being put in a position to be successful as the trigger man playing with Norris and G, and also the trigger man on a 1a/1b pp unit of an up and coming team, and he will soon start scoring.

I don’t want the team to start catering to guys who prioritize padding their stats instead of contribute to team wins. I don’t think that’s who Cat is to be honest.

Last edited:

PlayItAgain

Jan 18, 2005
...pretty weak start to the season for the Cat. Not sure if he's normally a hot and cold guy, or what.

Here's hoping he picks it up soon.
I think people’s expectations are way out of whack.You say his start has been pretty weak, and yet Debrincat is still on pace so far for a career year points wise. Crazy

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I think people’s expectations are way out of whack.You say his start has been pretty weak, and yet Debrincat is still on pace so far for a career year points wise. Crazy
In my defence, he was on pace for a career worst year points wise when I posted this.

But I was going by the eye test. He had a really solid game against the caps and I was impressed. The first two games and most of preseason I thought he was a bit quiet though. But I do have high expectations and expect him to be one of our best forwards on any given night.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
PP running at 25% with several crossbars/posts where we got the play and shot we were lookin for and beat the goalie clean.

I think maybe it's ok for awhile and not really in need of a change in approach at this time

To @Ice-Tray point, some guys play to win and some play for stats and contracts. I want the former. There's room down the 401 for the latter.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't think Stutzle or Norris have had a lot to do with that though. Been disappointed with them to start the year.

It's nice having two capable PP groups for once but I would still rather we stack the first group, given that the guys who start the PP usually use up the majority of the PP time.

Stutzle is a #1 PP guy on the majority of teams in this league but I think DeBrincat brings more to the table on the PP given he's a dual threat shooting and passing option. Giving Chabot two significant shooting threats at the top of the umbrella would open up more opportunities for both DeBrincat and Norris, as I've noticed teams really keying in on Norris this year knowing that Stutzle doesn't have the shot to beat the goalie clean from the left side.

And from a manager's perspective, I can't see DeBrincat relegated to the #2 PP helping sell him on staying in Ottawa long-term.
We don't really run the PP through the D, most of the time we're working it down the halfwall to make a seam play of some sort bump play where it goes low then quickly back to the guy in the slot, we aren't typically running an umbrella, we use a 1-3-1 setup.
PP running at 25% with several crossbars/posts where we got the play and shot we were lookin for and beat the goalie clean.

I think maybe it's ok for awhile and not really in need of a change in approach at this time
I think most of our PP issues aren't personnel issues, rather they are repetition issues; the talent is there, we need to work on timing for our set plays and crisper passes to minimize the amount of time we need to get set up. Basically we need to keep things consistent for while to build chemistry.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Man I feel for other teams PK that have to deal with Norris being the shooter on one PP and then seeing DeBrincat on the next powerplay. I can't wait to see us develop a top end PP in the league
It's working really well having two lethal PP units.

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Batherson
Chabot - Norris

Motte - Pinto - Giroux
Sanderson - DeBrincat

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's working really well having two lethal PP units.

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Batherson
Chabot - Norris

Motte - Pinto - Giroux
Sanderson - DeBrincat
I'm thinking Joseph deserves a shot on the PP soon, I'm not fully sold on Motte there. He hasn't been bad but I think Joseph could be better.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm thinking Joseph deserves a shot on the PP soon, I'm not fully sold on Motte there. He hasn't been bad but I think Joseph could be better.

Joseph reminds me of Connor Brown in that he either scores in transition or off the cycle or not at all.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Joseph reminds me of Connor Brown in that he either scores in transition or off the cycle or not at all.
Yeah, but as the 10th PP guy, I'm looking for his speed to help to stretch out defenders for the entry, and help with puck retrieval and getting us set back up after a missed chance. That unit is really about setting up DeBrincat and Pinto anyways, the other guys are there to support that end.

When one of Greig, Sokolov or Jarventie is ready for the big show they probably gets that last spot,

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Now, now don't panic.
I'm in no rush. Things are working fine, so I don't mind keeping Motte there, he's just not a guy that is essential and we've got other guys that also deserve a shot in that role. Motte works in the role, Joseph might work better or the same and is worth exploring, eventually a guy like Greig or Sokolov will probably get that role, maybe that chance will come from an injury that forces the hand.

I'm certainly not going to demand we force Brannstrom in at the expense of a guy playing a completely different role and end up needing to adapt the system we're employing to better suit a 2 D setup...

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
I love how Debrincat can sling the puck with velocity to make tape to tape passes. He's not a one trick pony, gets physical, makes smart plays, creates chances regularly, doesn't sacrifice defence, etc.

Neither him or Norris have put the puck by a goalie yet, but they will start coming soon, they're playing very well. Bring your extra hats to the games.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He would be okay too, but I think Motte has better vision & is a better playmaker. He is also good at fighting for loose pucks along the boards & in the corners & he is the front net presence on the other PP. He seems to do a lot of the little things really well & is somewhat under valued on here, but I get his track record has not been great either. I wonder if Formenton would be in that spot if he were in the lineup?

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I'm in no rush. Things are working fine, so I don't mind keeping Motte there, he's just not a guy that is essential and we've got other guys that also deserve a shot in that role. Motte works in the role, Joseph might work better or the same and is worth exploring, eventually a guy like Greig or Sokolov will probably get that role, maybe that chance will come from an injury that forces the hand.

I'm certainly not going to demand we force Brannstrom in at the expense of a guy playing a completely different role and end up needing to adapt the system we're employing to better suit a 2 D setup...
They actually had Brady play basically the full PP and on both units against the Caps.

I am cool with that too, he isn't expending too much energy and keeps his same position.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He would be okay too, but I think Motte has better vision & is a better playmaker. He is also good at fighting for loose pucks along the boards & in the corners & he is the front net presence on the other PP. He seems to do a lot of the little things really well & is somewhat under valued on here, but I get his track record has not been great either. I wonder if Formenton would be in that spot if he were in the lineup?
None of the three are ideal in the role tbh, Soklov of Greig are probably the guys ideally suited for that last PP spot but neither is ready.

In the meantime I like the idea of giving Motte and Joseph each some reps to reward their good play on the third line, they both do the grunt work with little fanfare. Motte's gotten his shot, I think we should be giving Joseph one too eventually.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
They actually had Brady play basically the full PP and on both units against the Caps.

I am cool with that too, he isn't expending too much energy and keeps his same position.
Yeah, that could work but I want him ready for his next 5v5 shift, so it's not ideal imo to double shift him.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Yeah, that could work but I want him ready for his next 5v5 shift, so it's not ideal imo to double shift him.
Sure but in spurts it's fine. I am all for having Joseph there as well or even Kastelic as his game matures. He is certainly a handful in front of the net but his agility to gain loose pucks in the corner would be lacking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad