Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Save 1.150 from waiving Joseph
Call up Reinhardt at 0.813
Savings: 0.337

It doesn't move the needle at all.
I guess I wasn't clear.

1. how to save a million. Nothing contingent

2. You then suggested it would be a downgrade to replace him .. I suggest it would not be a downgrade,

3., If we are in a snag and have to save a million and have 12 forwards .. its a quick way to do it,

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I guess I wasn't clear.

1. how to save a million. Nothing contingent

2. You then suggested it would be a downgrade to replace him .. I suggest it would not be a downgrade,

3., If we are in a snag and have to save a million and have 12 forwards .. its a quick way to do it,

Ahh ok I understand now. My bad - I didn't 'get' what you meant at first.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
At least Toronto is a contender year-in and year-out. We’re in cap hell without a playoff appearance.

The buyouts and retention are so bad.
Buyouts and retention will be gone for next year.

Whether you are a contender or not, cap hell exists in mostly all teams . And Toronto still have to sign a goalie.

I would hardly extoll the virtues of Toronto, who just signed three horrific defensive players , and have one round victory in 18 years

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Hi all! Caps fan here. We are reportedly in on DeBrincat, according to Friedman.

Would the following package appeal to the Sens for Cat?

A mix of Fehervary, McMichael, Protas, Lapierre, Chesley, Iorio and future draft pick(s)?

We have a salary cap crunch, so we would either have to move Kuznetsov/Mantha to you guys in the deal (probably giving even more value b/c of that), get a third team involved in the trade, or move them elsewhere.

Know Ottawa has a fantastic young and talented core that is being built - many of the young players mentioned above are or are on the verge of being NHL players (we can thank Lavi for essentially relying on veteran plugs over the likes of CMM, Protas, and Lapi).

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Dorion signing Korpisalo and Brannstrom for too much money killed any leverage we had in trade negotiations.

Can't even bluff keeping DeBrincat for the year with him making 7.65M at worst, which would leave us with 2.6M in cap space to sign Pinto and 3 more forwards. Even if all 4 of those forwards sign for league minimum, we'd still be over the cap with only 13F/7D/2G.

No team will be willing to sign him long-term for what he's asking, so we're looking at getting a rental price from the few teams that can still afford to add him for the year in hopes his demands get more realistic or he has a strong rebound season and removes any doubt that he'd live up to something like a 8x8 contract.

As far as the kind of return we'll be looking at from a few of the rumoured interested teams, I'd guess the following:

ANA: Henrique, Groulx, 2nd
NYI: Pageau, Martin/Johnston, 2nd
WSH: Mantha, Milano, 2nd

That's assuming guys like Henrique and Pageau are willing to play here, as both have limited NTCs.
Paying Brannstrom 2M is not overpaying. Fabbro would surely have been a comparable in arbitration. Brannstrom had a strong arb case with the stats that are usuable in the process.

I’m not sure what to think about Korpisalo but they needed to get a goalie and most re-signed. What were the other reasonable options ?

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Hi all! Caps fan here. We are reportedly in on DeBrincat, according to Friedman.

A mix of Fehervary, McMichael, Protas, Lapierre, Chesley, Iorio and future draft pick(s)?

We have a salary cap crunch, so we would either have to move Kuznetsov/Mantha to you guys in the deal (probably giving even more value b/c of that), get a third team involved in the trade, or move them elsewhere.

Know Ottawa has a fantastic young and talented core that is being built - many of the young players mentioned above are or are on the verge of being NHL players (we can thank Lavi for essentially relying on veteran plugs over the likes of CMM, Protas, and Lapi).
A protected 1st, Laporte and Mantha makes sense.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think Debrincat and his agent are really misplaying their hand. It’s not like there will be massive amounts of new cap space next season, cap is projected to jump 4M. Most teams, with the exception of Vegas, take care of their own first. Lots of contracts were done short term and these re-signings will eat up most of the new dollars, not sure Debrincat is getting better deals next year.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
If Caps retain on Mantha, add a prospect like McMichael/Lapierre and a 2nd, that’s a pretty good deal for us
Sure, get something done already and sign a middle-six winger (Tatar, Tarasenko).

This is also a trade that probably works without an extension.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If Caps retain on Mantha, add a prospect like McMichael/Lapierre and a 2nd, that’s a pretty good deal for us

Even with no retention on Mantha it would be difficult for them to fit in DeBrincat.

CapFriendly is showing 3.5M in cap space with only 11 forwards. If McMichael and Protas/Snively are added to that to fill out the rest of the roster they'd have a little under 2M in space, but they still have to re-sign Fehervary.

Mantha + Milano (7.6M total) coming back might be able to open up just enough space, but it would be tough.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
A protected 1st, Laporte and Mantha makes sense.
I assume you mean Lapierre, and that's a good return.
Sure, get something done already and sign a middle-six winger (Tatar, Tarasenko).

This is also a trade that probably works without an extension.
Even with no retention on Mantha it would be difficult for them to fit in DeBrincat.

CapFriendly is showing 3.5M in cap space with only 11 forwards. If McMichael and Protas/Snively are added to that to fill out the rest of the roster they'd have a little under 2M in space, but they still have to re-sign Fehervary.

Mantha + Milano (7.6M total) coming back might be able to open up just enough space, but it would be tough.
Mantha, Lapi/CMM, and a 2nd? I am down.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Doubtful that a new owner will make DBC want to live in Canada and pay more taxes.
Do we have confirmation that he doesn't want to live in Canada?

My impression has always been that it's about money and long term security. If no US based team is willing to give him anything close to what we're offering (especially term-wise), then his best option financially speaking might be Ottawa, even if the taxes are higher.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Deal with Washington would be awful.

Mantha is a cap dump that would need to be included, and they have no prospects worth trading for outside of Leonard who obviously isn’t available.

Would be a whole lot of ew
I think getting a decent player who’s a “cap dump” is going to happen if we’re moving Cat without an extension, whether that’s someone like Pageau or Mantha.

If it’s Mantha, I guess one of us or Washington can give up a small asset for a 3rd team to eat a couple million for the year.

I guess I just want this shit over with so we can actually do something about our bottom 9 in free agency.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013

Anything new from him today or are you going off stuff that is days old by now?

Sens are also in a crunch so we would be expecting less dollars coming back in preferably no dollars

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad