Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Leafs buying out Murray would solve the problem for us, but I doubt we can count on that. It would be nice if Samsonov gets an earlier arb date than DeBrincat though, then we'd know ahead of time whether he can be kept in the fold or not.

Joseph I think would be very difficult to move

Trading Forsberg doesn't seem realistic. That just puts the club right back in the situation they tried to rectify by signing Korpisalo. If they though they could rely on Sogaard they could have just ran with him and Forsberg and avoided this whole mess.
That assumes they think they can rely on Forsberg as a backup. I think they are having second thoughts on him,

Idk what it will take with Joseph, but he isn't that overpaid, we might have to send a pick, or perhaps retain a bit, or a little from column a and a little from column B.

Last season was a bit of an outlier for him, he's been scoring a dozen goals a year most years, I suspect he bounces back to that and the people focused on zero 5v5 goals will lose their talking point.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Leafs buying out Murray would solve the problem for us, but I doubt we can count on that. It would be nice if Samsonov gets an earlier arb date than DeBrincat though, then we'd know ahead of time whether he can be kept in the fold or not.

Trading Forsberg doesn't seem realistic. That just puts the club right back in the situation they tried to rectify by signing Korpisalo. If they though they could rely on Sogaard they could have just ran with him and Forsberg and avoided this whole mess.
Did someone not say the buy out of Murray would not help us.. thought someone looked this up.. could be wrong

• Haha
Reactions: Sun God Nika

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
That assumes they think they can rely on Forsberg as a backup. I think they are having second thoughts on him,

Idk what it will take with Joseph, but he isn't that overpaid, we might have to send a pick, or perhaps retain a bit, or a little from column a and a little from column B.

Last season was a bit of an outlier for him, he's been scoring a dozen goals a year most years, I suspect he bounces back to that and the people focused on zero 5v5 goals will lose their talking point.
Forsberg has been good since we got him though. 36-32-7, .911SV% and 16.6 goals saved above expectation. The only concern I cold see would maybe be about how he recovers from his injury, but he's apparently fine. Back on the ice skating and working out.

Maybe you could retain 50% on Joseph and a team would take him for free, but then you've opened another hole on the roster without really having a solution to fill it. I agree that he's not a bad player, but he's a problem on our cap right about now.
Did someone not say the buy out of Murray would not help us.. thought someone looked this up.. could be wrong
Buyout helps, LTIR doesn't

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
It’s really a shame he doesn’t want to sign.
I’d still give him max term at $8
We’d look pretty good moving forward going into G’s next contract with him at $8 million on the roster.

That said, I’m not sure he gets net more money next year as UFA.
7 year max - and I just don’t see anyone giving more than $8-8.5

Then there is the variable, what if at the deadline he’s on pace for about 30-35 when we trade him - he also then has to adjust to another new team, and he ends up under 30 again?
He’d be lucky to get $8 million at that point I think.

Reactions: Yak

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

These guys say a lot of things and it could be bs, but LeBrun and co. were adamant the other night on HC that the plan is not to buy out Murray and "I've been told" the plan is to bring 3 goalies to camp. They did mention that could change if there's something else they want to do this summer and have that 2nd buyout window open up, but that as of now it's not in the cards.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
These guys say a lot of things and it could be bs, but LeBrun and co. were adamant the other night on HC that the plan is not to buy out Murray and "I've been told" the plan is to bring 3 goalies to camp. They did mention that could change if there's something else they want to do this summer and have that 2nd buyout window open up, but that as of now it's not in the cards.

Teams say things like this.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Teams say things like this.

We probably would have if Dubas hadn't had too many afternoon samosas and acquired Murray.

I hear you though, they say a lot of things, so grain of salt, I just felt like the way they were reporting it made it seem like no this is the plan.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Definitely seems to be a good option for him. He chooses where he goes, he signs probably a better deal he can get now.

The flip side of it is that right now teams still see him as a 40 goal guy who had a bit of a down year. What happens when Josh Norris comes back though ... he might not get as much ice time and opportunity as he did last season on the PP. It's a bit of a risk for him as well because if he has a another 27 goals- 65 point season then teams might not be willing to throw 8.5M on a 8 year deal.

All that said this trade is getting more and more difficult as the days go by. The fact that he can't get a contract done with some of the teams trying to acquire him says a lot about where the league is at right now. Teams are more careful at throwing big numbers for complimentary guys, especially smaller wingers. He's a great player but his package is not as appealing as some other guys who put up similar numbers.
Yep, I agree there is some risk if he waits until next year.

I'm not sure what happens, but I wish Dorion was more patient last summer. Given a $83.5 m cap this season, our need for a goaltender this year, and our cap situation, I wonder even more now why he thought it was a wise move. Oh well.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Sam Reinhart is apparently available. That doesn’t do us any favours on the trade front.
Would they take Joseph for him? I'd throw in Brannstrom too.
Dorion already made the decision that Cat isn’t coming back by goving Korpisalo 4 million. The option isn’t even there.
You never know there is plenty of time before the season starts & he should have some options. I'm also not sure DBC is worth $8 mil, I'd rather have a bigger & tougher player to play with Norris & Batherson on LW.

Toronto just signed Bertuzzi, looks like they are finally serious about getting tougher for the playoffs, something Dubas seemed reluctant to do. Reaves & Bertuzzi should really improve that team. We need Crouse.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Dorion already made the decision that Cat isn’t coming back by goving Korpisalo 4 million. The option isn’t even there.
Technically they can always trade a piece. But trading anyone locked up with term right now that isn't joseph to fit Debrincat in for a year would be very stupid.

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Toronto just signed Bertuzzi, looks like they are finally serious about getting tougher for the playoffs, something Dubas seemed reluctant to do. Reaves & Bertuzzi should really improve that team. We need Crouse.

After losing Acciari, Schenn, Bunting and O'Reilly.

They had plenty of toughness already. The problem is their core guys have none of it. Adding Bertuzzi and a 36 year old goon doesn't mean anything.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
After losing Acciari, Schenn, Bunting and O'Reilly.

They had plenty of toughness already. The problem is their core guys have none of it. Adding Bertuzzi and a 36 year old goon doesn't mean anything.
We'll see about that.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Well what do I know anyway hahaha

It's a one year deal with a contender.

We're seeing it everywhere. Teams are up against the cap, players are taking 1 year deals hoping to cash in next year.

And it's disappointing that our one major move was signing a goalie longterm. We wouldn't have gotten Bertuzzi but surely there are a few players out there we could have signed to 1 year deals to prove themselves by selling the fact we have holes up and down our lineup.

This offseason is a f***ing layup for GMs. And we can't even manage that here in our organization.

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023
It's a one year deal with a contender.

We're seeing it everywhere. Teams are up against the cap, players are taking 1 year deals hoping to cash in next year.

And it's disappointing that our one major move was signing a goalie longterm. We wouldn't have gotten Bertuzzi but surely there are a few players out there we could have signed to 1 year deals to prove themselves by selling the fact we have holes up and down our lineup.

This offseason is a f***ing layup for GMs. And we can't even manage that here in our organization.
The team needed a goalie it was the number 1 priority
I don’t see many holes at all. Trade a lefty for a righty on D if A young guy can’t step up.
Other than that I am not sure where the holes are. The top 6 is loaded up right now so guys will not be looking for a 1 year boost in numbers on the Sens fourth line.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Maybe he gets traded to be bought out.
Can't do it. Any player bought out during the second buyout window has to have been on that team's reserve list as of the previous trade deadline.

Only the Leafs can buyout Matt Murray this summer.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Can't do it. Any player bought out during the second buyout window has to have been on that team's reserve list as of the previous trade deadline.

Only the Leafs can buyout Matt Murray this summer.
Great. If the league lets them get away with LTIR …. SMH.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
With Domi signing in Toronto, you gotta think they are kinda forced to buyout Murray now, no?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad