Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Murray being LTIR would not give ottawa cap relief only if he gets bought out
I was sure I saw a cap expert say LTIR would apply to the retained salary as well. I don’t think it should apply to retained salary personally but that’s what was said.

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If we have the right to trade players that we buy out. What if we trade Ryan and Murray to Arizona
When a Team buy out a player, they Can’t turn around and trade a bought out player… he essentially is not under contract to them once his contract is bought out..

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I was sure I saw a cap expert say LTIR would apply to the retained salary as well. I don’t think it should apply to retained salary personally but that’s what was said.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Have to wonder if Henrique is part of a deal if DeBrincat goes to Anaheim- if I remember correctly we had interest in him before. Wouldn’t hate having him as part of the return, and the Ducks prospect depth (beyond their big guys that we're obviously not getting) is more stronger than what the Isles would have to offer.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I don’t know what we’d be interested in from Anaheim.
Best I could come up with of guys that might be available would be,

1st, Henrique, colangelo

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Have to wonder if Henrique is part of a deal if DeBrincat goes to Anaheim- if I remember correctly we had interest in him before. Wouldn’t hate having him as part of the return, and the Ducks prospect depth (beyond their big guys that we're obviously not getting) is more stronger than what the Isles would have to offer.
That’s terrible

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
I'll be shocked if the return includes a 1st or a notable prospect at this point. Teams don't have cap space anymore and if they want DeBrincat it will be work to fit him in. No one will be making offers that can't be refused, it will be 2nd + Josh Hennessy + cap dump type offers. Kicking tires type stuff, seeing if they can get a good value deal. Not aggressive pursuits.

Dorion waited too long again.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I'll be shocked if the return includes a 1st or a notable prospect at this point. Teams don't have cap space anymore and if they want DeBrincat it will be work to fit him in. No one will be making offers that can't be refused, it will be 2nd + Josh Hennessy + cap dump type offers. Kicking tires type stuff, seeing if they can get a good value deal. Not aggressive pursuits.

Dorion waited too long again.
Then you play him and move him at the trade deadline

Reactions: Sens9292

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ok, so sign Pinto at 1.5-2, add in a 7th D (Thomson at .863 for example) and fill in some Fwd spots with Greig (.863), Imama (.775), Smejkal (.870) and Crookshank (.838).

That's a full roster with about 4 mil in cap space. We might get another ~1 mil if Murray gets bought out.

Lets say we win the day in Arbitration, Debrincat gets 7.2.

Options become trade Debrincat for a roster player making 4-5 mil or so (that player would push off say Crookshank giving us 4.838 in space for him)

or, we could go with the fillers, and retain on Debrincat to make him more apealing, say @ 50%, we trade him at 3.6 for the acquiring team, suddenly that's a heck of an attractive rental, that you might be able to extend when the cap goes up.

the .400-1.400 in cap space we have left (depending on a Murray buyout) after retaining can be used to upgrade the bottom 6, I'd hold off till around the deadline to maximize the room.

Reactions: Wondercarrot

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I'd rather give up futures attached with Joseph than trade Cat for less than market. If we retained 50% of Cat at the deadline and found a team willing to re-sign him, anything we would give up with Joseph, we'd recover big time.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Forsberg will be healthy by camp, you can’t just LTIR him.
Are you sure?

1688314465894.png

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
It's really hard to see how it can work with DeBrincat back, even at the lowest possible arbitrated number of 7.65M. Roster would look like...

Tkachuk [8.205714] - Stutzle [8.35] - Giroux [6.5]
DeBrincat [7.65] - Norris [7.95] - Batherson [4.975]
Greig [.863333] - Pinto [1.75] - Joseph [2.95]
Kelly [.7625] - Kastelic [.835] - Sokolov [.805]

Chabot [8] - Chychrun [4.6]
Sanderson [.925] - Zub [4.6]
Brannstrom [2] - JBD [.805]

Korpisalo [4]
Forsberg [2.75]

Murray [1.5625]
Ryan [1.833333]
White [.875]
MDZ [.750]

That's 84.3M there, so 800k over the cap even with a 20 man skeleton crew.

I'm not sure where you can save money either - the team is already running out six guys who are basically at the league minimum [Greig, Kelly, Kastelic, Sokolov, Sanderson, JBD]. Even waiving and burying Joseph wouldn't do it because that only gives you 1.15M in relief which is almost entirely eaten up by whatever player replaces him on the roster. Can't see Pinto any lower than 1.75M either - he doesn't have much leverage, but he did score 20 goals.

Basically you have to find a way to clear Joseph's entire hit which would be incredibly expensive.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's really hard to see how it can work with DeBrincat back, even at the lowest possible arbitrated number of 7.65M. Roster would look like...

Tkachuk [8.205714] - Stutzle [8.35] - Giroux [6.5]
DeBrincat [7.65] - Norris [7.95] - Batherson [4.975]
Greig [.863333] - Pinto [1.75] - Joseph [2.95]
Kelly [.7625] - Kastelic [.835] - Sokolov [.805]

Chabot [8] - Chychrun [4.6]
Sanderson [.925] - Zub [4.6]
Brannstrom [2] - JBD [.805]

Korpisalo [4]
Forsberg [2.75]

Murray [1.5625]
Ryan [1.833333]
White [.875]
MDZ [.750]

That's 84.3M there, so 800k over the cap even with a 20 man skeleton crew.

I'm not sure where you can save money either - the team is already running out six guys who are basically at the league minimum [Greig, Kelly, Kastelic, Sokolov, Sanderson, JBD]. Even waiving and burying Joseph wouldn't do it because that only gives you 1.15M in relief which is almost entirely eaten up by whatever player replaces him on the roster. Can't see Pinto any lower than 1.75M either - he doesn't have much leverage, but he did score 20 goals.

Basically you have to find a way to clear Joseph's entire hit which would be incredibly expensive.

There are three ways we can free up space;

1) Murray buyout, this one is completely out of our hands, but opens up about 1.3
2) Trade Joseph. not sure what it would take to move him, would someone take him for FC, idk, we might have to give up a pick. After a replacement roster player is taken into consideration, frees up maybe 2 m
3) Trade Forsberg, run with Korpi and Sogaard. again not sure what is required to move him but it frees up about 1.825

That's about 5 mil in options if you combine them.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
There are three ways we can free up space;

1) Murray buyout, this one is completely out of our hands, but opens up about 1.3
2) Trade Joseph. not sure what it would take to move him, would someone take him for FC, idk, we might have to give up a pick. After a replacement roster player is taken into consideration, frees up maybe 2 m
3) Trade Forsberg, run with Korpi and Sogaard. again not sure what is required to move him but it frees up about 1.825

That's about 5 mil in options if you combine them.
Move Brannstrom or maybe even Zub. They will have several options before the start of season, but trading him for a cheaper option is likely their first choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad