Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
People keep talking like it's an option to keep DeBrincat, but I really don't see how it's viable. Even if Cat signed for 7M and Pinto for 2M, the team is 500k over the cap with 12F, 6D, and 2G. And Cat and Pinto will likely make significantly more than 9M between the two of them. I don't even think they'd have space if they paid someone to take Joseph and replaced him with a league min salary.
Posturing.

Dorion wasn't asked about the salary working out when he was asked. I would have liked someone to ask about that angle and point out it doesn't work. Very obvious they can't do it without moving someone with some money like say Joseph.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Posturing.

Dorion wasn't asked about the salary working out when he was asked. I would have liked someone to ask about that angle and point out it doesn't work. Very obvious they can't do it without moving someone with some money like say Joseph.
Going to be hard to find a Taker for Joseph 3x2.95 .. Future Considerations at best imo

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Whenever Ottawa trades a player the messaging is that the player is the issue.

I'm surprised people still find a way to hate on Heatley. He was a stud during his Sens days and the first big piece to leave during the early Melnyk years.
Dorion said today in his presser that DBC has been great.

Said that worst case they’ll roll with him
because he’s a great player and they like him.

Said he’s let a few teams talk contract with his agent but nothing has happened yet.

Doesn't really sound at all like the org is putting any negative messaging out. The opposite really.

Psycroptic86

Oct 5, 2019
Dorion said today in his presser that DBC has been great.

Said that worst case they’ll roll with him
because he’s a great player and they like him.

Said he’s let a few teams talk contract with his agent but nothing has happened yet.

Doesn't really sound at all like the org is putting any negative messaging out. The opposite really.
Just Bruce being Bruce as usual.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Maybe Arizona or Phile or Chicago (they like us) a rebuilding team will take a pick/prospect but .. paying for a mistake again.
He'd be ok on the 4th line just expensive for that
Ya pretty tough to move in this cap environment. He'll likely be here either way, but if they keep Cat, which I don't buy, they will have to move someone and I can't think of a better way to shave $.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Dorion to Jeff Jackson:
IMG_3413.jpeg

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Just his cap hit doesn’t work here that’s all

3.5M is fair
It's not about being fair. Its about the cap.

The Senators have $10.2 m of projected cap space with 7 players to sign. Of the 7 players, one is Debrincat or his replacement, and another is Pinto.

If Debrincat/replacement is signed for $5 m, Pinto $1.5 m (optimistic low cost 10.2.c type contract) and Dumba $3.5 m, the Senators will have a little over 200k to sign 4 players.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It's not about being fair. Its about the cap.

The Senators have $10.2 m of projected cap space with 7 players to sign. Of the 7 players, one is Debrincat or his replacement, and another is Pinto.

If Debrincat/replacement is signed for $5 m, Pinto $1.5 m (optimistic low cost 10.2.c type contract) and Dumba $3.5 m, the Senators will have a little over 200k to sign 4 players.
I thought they were implying moving Zub to make room for Dumba?

I certainly wouldn't like that, but I thought that was their original position.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
I thought they were implying moving Zub to make room for Dumba?

I certainly wouldn't like that, but I thought that was their original position.
Maybe that was said earlier. IDK. The post I replied to was very brief.

Subtracting Zub and replacing with Dumba seems like a lateral move "at best".

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Maybe that was said earlier. IDK. The post I replied to was very brief.

Subtracting Zub and replacing with Dumba seems like a lateral move "at best".
I almost went back to look, but not worth the time lol, I just thought that's where it started.

That seems like a downgrade to me. Would much prefer sticking with Zub.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Cat has us in a pickle and put himself in a pickle.

Take less in Arbitration just so he can play and prove to all the teams that passed on him that he is worth it.

Sit out the season and get $0 till Sens trade him, most likely to a team he does not prefer.

Just go to wherever in the USA and bet on himself and roll the dice on UFA.

Next year cap will increase but not huge. If the Cat does not fight and claw his way to 40 goals, he will wish he stayed in Ottawa with all the big fish UFA's next year.

Detroit won't give him the term, Detroit is not a nicer city then Ottawa and close enough to Ottawa he should just bite the bullet and make his cash here.

Cat should take whatever Dorion is offering him long-term and be happy.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out for Dorion and the Cat both have a lot on the line.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Definitely a situation I hadn't considered (if the rumours are true)

If Ottawa is the only team offering him term right now then I could see him actually doing it. The risk of doing a 1 year either here or in another city is that he doesn't have a particularly great season again. Does he still get offers of 8m or more afterwards?

All depends on how comfortable he is with betting on himself and fielding the risk of injury.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
I almost went back to look, but not worth the time lol, I just thought that's where it started.

That seems like a downgrade to me. Would much prefer sticking with Zub.
Yes, not worth it. I'm not sure it was replace Zub with Dumba. I think the poster said Dumba > Zub.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Cat has us in a pickle and put himself in a pickle.

Take less in Arbitration just so he can play and prove to all the teams that passed on him that he is worth it.

Sit out the season and get $0 till Sens trade him, most likely to a team he does not prefer.

Just go to wherever in the USA and bet on himself and roll the dice on UFA.

Next year cap will increase but not huge. If the Cat does not fight and claw his way to 40 goals, he will wish he stayed in Ottawa with all the big fish UFA's next year.

Detroit won't give him the term, Detroit is not a nicer city then Ottawa and close enough to Ottawa he should just bite the bullet and make his cash here.

Cat should take whatever Dorion is offering him long-term and be happy.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out for Dorion and the Cat both have a lot on the line.
Doesn't he have until the 15th to accept the team's qualifying offer?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
DeBrincat and this reported disinterest from teams to give him term makes me think of Hoffman coming out of Florida and maybe wondering how teams perceive him.

Obviously the defensive deficiencies were more pronounced with The Hoff, but he was another undersized winger that produced a lot, sort of blew up his numbers in Florida with almost 40 goals, yet walked into a pretty low, short term contract after ward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad