Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
please no to Pageau

we just got rid of some bad contracts and it looks like we are ready to take on more
Depends what comes back with him. And although he is overpaid at $5 million it's only by a million or so for a strong defensive player that will score 40 points and can move up and down the lineup.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
A guy unwilling to sign long term with your team is not "disgruntled". He is exercising his rights.

Poor choice of words that looks like the start of a smear campaign. Nothing that's happened should have Garrioch framing it like that.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Depends what comes back with him. And although he is overpaid at $5 million it's only by a million or so for a strong defensive player that will score 40 points and can move up and down the lineup.
Isn't that the whole point on Pinto? Downgrading from DBC to Pageau is a step back. If you want a defensive center you can find much cheaper and younger options

Either some teams have come close to the asking price or Dorion is feeling the crunch and has given in considering what he said 3 days ago

the time to trade DBC is running out. The sens are not keeping him on a 1 year deal and keeping that shit show going after what happened with Stone

time is ticking. Most nhl execs are going to be on vacation by the end of next week

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
thought this would end with Melnyk

the sens really need to clear out management
Simple answer: “Melnyk” hasn’t ended yet.

Dorion will be gone as one of Andlauers first moves and honestly, I don’t worry too much about the others. Bowness is a good young mind and Mann has some experience. Bowness in particular seems like a really good guy.

Things will change, but expecting them to change before ownership does is setting yourself up to be disappointed.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Simple answer: “Melnyk” hasn’t ended yet.

Dorion will be gone as one of Andlauers first moves and honestly, I don’t worry too much about the others. Bowness is a good young mind and Mann has some experience. Bowness in particular seems like a really good guy.

Things will change, but expecting them to change before ownership does is setting yourself up to be disappointed.
People said that a lot of that stuff was cause of Melnyk and not Dorion. Shitting on players on their way out seems like Dorion MO as well

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
People said that a lot of that stuff was cause of Melnyk and not Dorion. Shitting on players on their way out seems like Dorion MO as well
Fair, I can definitely agree on that front. Dorion is very petty.

That said, Bruce is also extremely petty and while no prize pumpkin, he is smart enough to know that team-favourable PR works to his benefit. I don’t think it has to be a coordinated thing.

Reactions: Dino Tkachuk

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

Either some teams have come close to the asking price or Dorion is feeling the crunch and has given in considering what he said 3 days ago

I'm honestly really surprised by that. This league is nothing if not a goals-oriented league. A young guy with multiple 40G seasons and his best years ahead of him is not getting a lot of interest from teams on an 8 year term but Miles Wood gets a 6 year deal? Come on, I don't believe that for a second. Teams are desperate for goalscoring. Even if he's only good for 30G+ for the next 5 years straight, he should be worth $8M+ on an escalating cap.

Reactions: PM and DueDiligence

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Isn't that the whole point on Pinto? Downgrading from DBC to Pageau is a step back. If you want a defensive center you can find much cheaper and younger options

the time to trade DBC is running out. The sens are not keeping him on a 1 year deal and keeping that shit show going after what happened with Stone

time is ticking. Most nhl execs are going to be on vacation by the end of next week

Nice, maybe he change his mind and stay

• Love
Reactions: xVolchenkov

kilroy

Aug 13, 2007
I'm honestly really surprised by that. This league is nothing if not a goals-oriented league. A young guy with multiple 40G seasons and his best years ahead of him is not getting a lot of interest from teams on an 8 year term but Miles Wood gets a 6 year deal? Come on, I don't believe that for a second. Teams are desperate for goalscoring. Even if he's only good for 30G+ for the next 5 years straight, he should be worth $8M+ on an escalating cap.
There's no money available anywhere he'd want to sign. The flat cap is messing with all new contracts right now.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013

It’s bizarre and quite possibly fabricated.

The reality is that DeBrincat doesn’t want term, he wants to walk to UFA in a year where the cap is expected to bump up significantly. There is no reason for him to sign a long term deal coming off the worst season of his career.

Bad situation to be sure but these spin attempts are dumb.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Wouldn't be a terrible move for DBC to sign a 3 year contract in Ottawa. Try to hit FA again when more money is around.
This has been my thought basically since we acquired him. 2 or 3 years. He’ll still be far from 30 and gives him time to figure out where he wants to be and probably end up with more money

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Wonder what sort of contract he'd have gotten if he were a UFA today? I suspect short term at a number well below his 9M QO. Maybe even below his cut down arb number of 7.65M.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Wonder what sort of contract he'd have gotten if he were a UFA today? I suspect short term at a number well below his 9M QO. Maybe even below his cut down arb number of 7.65M.
Duchene just got $3mil… I could see Cat settling in the $6ish range on a 1yr deal if he was. UFA right now

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Dorion letting DBC dealing with other teams basically means they have a deal in place that makes sense. This is happening today or tomorrow.

Reactions: PM and Dionysus

kilroy

Aug 13, 2007
Wouldn't be a terrible move for DBC to sign a 3 year contract in Ottawa. Try to hit FA again when more money is around.
I think DBC wants to do what Duchene just did. Cheap, short term contract. Problem is, nobody wants him if he does that. Ottawa wants cheap but long term, and other teams don't want to trade much for a short term contract. I suspect that if he were an UFA today, he'd be signed for 1-2 years around 6-7 AAV.

There's also the possibility that he's been asking for big money on a long term and that no one in the league is willing to give him that and is just now realizing it.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Duchene just got $3mil… I could see Cat settling in the $6ish range on a 1yr deal if he was. UFA right now
I was thinking something like 2 years, 13M [6.5M AAV] so we're in the same ballpark. The Sens could actually fit that in if they just grind Pinto down a bit.

That might end up being the play here. Take your medicine and try again when the market is healthier. Unless he just wants to bounce.

Starting to think Jeff Jackson might not be the best agent. I think he's given DeBrincat bad advice this summer, and he did the same to Connor Brown last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad