Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I think both things can be true — he hasn't talked to anyone else, but he knows where he wouldn't like to be (here) and he knows where he'd like to be, which he's made known with the list he provided.
Well, no, both things aren't true.

There's a substantial difference between:
1. Here's a list of teams I'm willing to do a sign-and-trade to
and
2. I want to get to UFA in a year and I'm not willing to do a sign-and-trade this year

Reactions: Senator Stanley

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Well, no, both things aren't true.

There's a substantial difference between:
1. Here's a list of teams I'm willing to do a sign-and-trade to
and
2. I want to get to UFA in a year and I'm not willing to do a sign-and-trade this year

There is a substantial difference between 1 and 2, but it's possible, and probably likely, that Debrincat is somewhere in between those two things. I.e. "Here's a list of teams I'm willing to do a sign and trade with if they were to offer me a contract equivalent to what I would accept as a UFA next summer."

Right now we're just going off of this "once in a lifetime" phrase that Dorion used.

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009
Teams have ways of finding out whether he’d sign long term with them. The GM doesn’t have to ask directly. They can ask around and even get one of their players who knows him to ask Debrincat himself. I would think his agent has let his preferred team(s) know.

His market value will depend on how many teams that are interested know his willingness to sign. If only one team feels that, his trade* market value will drop like a stone. A Mark Stone.

*edited to insert “trade”

Last edited:
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I've seen people running with this narrative but isn't this incorrect?

Dorion said they haven't allowed any teams to discuss a contract extension with Debrincat because they haven't got close on a deal yet. When they do, they'll allow the agent and player to discuss with the (potential) acquiring team.

That's a lot different than what's echoing around the forum.
Well I guess the real answer , is in the presser. that is referred to. I haven’t listened to it.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Well I guess the real answer , is in the presser. that is referred to. I haven’t listened to it.
Dorion said he hasn’t given DeBrincat’s Toronto-based agent, Jeff Jackson, permission to speak with anybody. That won’t happen until the Senators are close to a deal and there isn’t anything Dorion has heard in trade discussions that would lead him to believe they are.

“Once we get to a deal with a team, or we get close to a deal with a team, then I will give that team permission (to talk contract),” Dorion said. ”That’s the plan, to let the team speak with his representatives, but until that happens I don’t think it’s productive to have him talk to other teams while he still belongs to us.”
So I don't know where that other stuff comes from but this is a direct quote from Pierre. If Debrincat wanted to test free agency in a year, why would he have given the team a list of preferred destinations in the first place? Preferred destinations are for places you want to sign long term or if you have a full NTC and want to control where you get traded to. For a guy who supposedly wants to be a free agent on July 1, 2024 it's not really adding up for me.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
So I don't know where that other stuff comes from but this is a direct quote from Pierre. If Debrincat wanted to test free agency in a year, why would he have given the team a list of preferred destinations in the first place? Preferred destinations are for places you want to sign long term or if you have a full NTC and want to control where you get traded to. For a guy who supposedly wants to be a free agent on July 1, 2024 it's not really adding up for me.
Likely from the quote preceding that.

“We talked a lot about it (Tuesday). He indicated he didn’t want to sign long-term, he never requested a trade, but (he told the Senators) free agency only comes once for him,” Dorion told reporters in Nashville.

It’s been reported that the Sens won’t let teams talk contract until a deal in principal is agreed upon for over a week. How far those teams get in getting him to sign, we’ll see

IpsoPostFacto

No opinions, just reactions
Dec 17, 2017
so, the party line is to start calling Debrincat "disgruntled" in order to justify the crap return they are going to get.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Whenever Ottawa trades a player the messaging is that the player is the issue.

I'm surprised people still find a way to hate on Heatley. He was a stud during his Sens days and the first big piece to leave during the early Melnyk years.

Reactions: Game 7 Meltdown

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
Teams aren’t offering anything, that’s why a guy the Sens really wanted to have traded a Wednesday is still here.
I mean Tkachuk wasnt traded last year till the middle of July if I am remembering correctly and I thought Calgary got a good deal they f***ed up with bad extensions.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
please no to Pageau

we just got rid of some bad contracts and it looks like we are ready to take on more

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
so, the party line is to start calling Debrincat "disgruntled" in order to justify the crap return they are going to get.

It's a typical public relations tactic or stunt. Some call it a smear. Why does Bruce, a journalist need to do this? That seems like a relevant question.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
It's a typical public relations tactic or stunt. Some call it a smear. Why does Bruce, a journalist need to do this? That seems like a relevant question.
This is how "insiders" get access. Teams give them scoops with the understanding that they'll push the team's messaging when it's needed.

Reactions: Game 7 Meltdown

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I think we see DBC traded by tomorrow. Anaheim adding Killorn, Pacioretty to the Caps.

I think DBC is going to NYI today.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Whenever Ottawa trades a player the messaging is that the player is the issue.

I'm surprised people still find a way to hate on Heatley. He was a stud during his Sens days and the first big piece to leave during the early Melnyk years.
Yes, I know I have to take a lot of criticism back for that.

IpsoPostFacto

No opinions, just reactions
Dec 17, 2017
He is an access journalist with no real writing skill or talent. This is the first time in this story I've noticed him going negative - and there is only one reason for that. Team management is framing the story and Bruce is only too eager to tweet it out there.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
a ton of quality top 6 players have moved or signed already

we may be left holding the bag

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
This is how "insiders" get access. Teams give them scoops with the understanding that they'll push the team's messaging when it's needed.
Yes, some reporters do. Bruce is one of them for sure.

I guess some people could be fooled by this. But others (the more astute) will ask questions like why was a guy that could walk in one year traded for so many assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad