Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Marchment appears to have a full NMC that gets lowered to a 10 team NTC on July 1st. Doubt he's waiving to come to Ottawa.

Faksa also has a NTC but it's only a 5 team list. We're probably still on it though.

Maybe he waives to gets some offensive opportunity on a worse team. Given our lack of LW depth he probably would get penciled in as the #2 LW right now.

If DeBrincat were to be traded to Dallas I'd guess we'd get something like Dellandrea, Faksa, 2nd, as lame as that would be.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
No I think you’ve got a pretty good beat on the situation. My main concern is how much DeBrincat is looking for on a tenured deal. Robertson is only on a bridge currently and they’ll wanna talk extension in 2 years. If DBC is looking to cash out it could hinder our ability to pay Robertson in the near future.

Also, nobody here should be disappointed if you get Stankoven, Bourque, or Harley. We’re a small market team and our prospects don’t get talked about much. Stankoven almost made our roster this year after a dominant WHL award winning season, and Bourque had a breakout year in the AHL. Harley played outstanding for us in the playoffs and is without a doubt a lock to be a top 4 D on whatever team he plays on. These are all high-end young players.
If Dallas offers Stankoven or Harley + roster player for cap + a 1st, I hope Dorion takes the deal. Stankoven was a steal of a draft pick and Harley looks like a stud. I doubt y'all move Johnston or Dellandrea. If Faksa or Marchment are a part of the deal, that'd be dope.

Don't think you lot should, since Robertson & Oettinger need to be paid eventually. If Seguin agrees to waive and be moved, sure, but right now getting Cat wouldn't really add to Dallas imo

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Bourque, Marchment, and a 1st is as much value as Dorion gave up for Cat last year IMO. I think teams at the back of the top-10 this year would consider moving their pick for Bourque.

Reactions: bicboi64

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
Wishful thinking that preds are making room for debrincat. Looking at their lineup I would imagine they’re going to need to focus on a center with that cap space. But who knows?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Trotz just dumped R Johansen. Clearing space for ADB??

Probably more likely he re-unites with Kuznetsov or goes after Lindholm.

They really need a top 6 center, especially after trading Johansen.

But after this trade they could fit in one of those centers + DeBrincat, so maybe.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Even though it's not his fault, I'll still think about Egyptian cursing him if the return isn't good. I won't bother with dorion as he's f***ed anyway

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
The "free agency only comes once for him" line is concerning. It suggests that DeBrincat is going to be reluctant to sign long-term with anyone this offseason.

I wonder if the lack of trade demands are concerning him on what he could get next year? Maybe he might realize he's not getting 8x9 or whatever and might take the security? You never know.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Sounds like there will be no decent offers. Will have to take the arbitration deal and trade him at the deadline or watch him walk next summer.

Hopefully we get new hockey ops sooner rather than later and we can move on from these days of blowing top 10 draft picks on impending UFAs while bleeding 2nd rounders.
Won’t this hurt our arbitration position? PD making ADB’s argument for them.

• Haha
Reactions: bert

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yeah, I'm sure they have their number that they'd accept, but they're probably saying "This is what we want, and if we can't get our number, we'll wait until next summer". That makes getting a sign-and-trade that much harder.

Yeah, I'm sure they have their number that they'd accept, but they're probably saying "This is what we want, and if we can't get our number, we'll wait until next summer". That's not a
No question

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I wonder if the lack of trade demands are concerning him on what he could get next year? Maybe he might realize he's not getting 8x9 or whatever and might take the security? You never know.
Possibly, but there's a big difference between paying a huge acquisition price to get a guy and then giving him the bag vs. just handing him the bag as a UFA. He'll probably still do fine next summer. Especially if the cap goes up.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Possibly, but there's a big difference between paying a huge acquisition price to get a guy and then giving him the bag vs. just handing him the bag as a UFA. He'll probably still do fine next summer. Especially if the cap goes up.

Yeah, but usually, a team would be willing to give a first round draft pick for someone they would be willing to sign for 8 or 9 million a year. Plenty of teams give up 1sts for rentals of guys that would never get anywhere near 8-9 mil a year.

I'm thinking he either has to take like 7.5 a year long term if he wants to go to a playoff team. The only teams I can see giving him 9.5 a year or something in that ballpark would be a bottom feeder looking to reach the cap floor the next few years.

I guess it's his choice... But look at Karlsson. He wants to go to a contender but makes 11.5 and no contender wants to touch him at that. I bet they would be more willing to make room if his cap hit was a couple million less. Debrincat situation could be similar.

Do you want to make 100 million over your career on a bottom feeder or 80 million and be on a winner.

I wonder what I would do or what most players would do? I feel like Crosby would and has taken the lower option, for example.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Yeah, but usually, a team would be willing to give a first round draft pick for someone they would be willing to sign for 8 or 9 million a year. Plenty of teams give up 1sts for rentals of guys that would never get anywhere near 8-9 mil a year.

I'm thinking he either has to take like 7.5 a year long term if he wants to go to a playoff team. The only teams I can see giving him 9.5 a year or something in that ballpark would be a bottom feeder looking to reach the cap floor the next few years.

I guess it's his choice... But look at Karlsson. He wants to go to a contender but makes 11.5 and no contender wants to touch him at that. I bet they would be more willing to make room if his cap hit was a couple million less. Debrincat situation could be similar.

Do you want to make 100 million over your career on a bottom feeder or 80 million and be on a winner.

I wonder what I would do or what most players would do? I feel like Crosby would and has taken the lower option, for example.
I guess DeBrincat's reported desire to hit the market suggests that it's primarily about money for him. Seems like he wants to get paid and to pick a destination, as is his right. Who knows if winning even matters to him at all?

It's hard to peg his value on the open market. Personally, I wouldn't want to pay him more than maybe 7M - he's too flawed a player and too dependent on his linemates for me to even consider pushing his salary beyond that. I thought people were nuts when they were saying they'd be cool with making him the highest paid player on the team.

At this point it's just all speculation. We don't even know what his ask is on a long-term deal because he wouldn't engage the Senators in discussions, and no other team has been granted permission to speak with his agent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad