Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
I’m not relenting on my demand for a good pick/prospect because I’m getting marchment. We are doing them a favour. A favour nobody did us for Zaitsev. If we take marchment we should be getting a better deal. Otherwise tell Dallas to offload him to someone else and pay the price.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
2024 1st, Bourque, and Marchment (probably on the NTC list)?

Then trade that 1st to upgrade the roster.
Farm is pretty depleted of high end talent though
Will have to make first round selection at some point
But we need help rn too
Though choice

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Bourque just looks like a Da Costa replica. Tell me I’m wrong but he looks pretty blah.

Marchment may be a great 2/3 line tweener pickup but he is absolutely a capdump in this scenario. If Dallas can get something for him without taking cap back and I’m Pierre I’m telling them to go do so.

Try and get Wyatt. Otherwise take 2 1sts and call it a day.
You’re wrong

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink
fans are free to be excited. I was not one.. I am not gloating.. I have been wrong enough times. So being right on one, does not give me gloating privileges.

In the end, as you analyze the move, it was wrong. Too many issues to deal with. (DBC)

Similarly with the Horvat and Brad Trai. moves.. All were driven by GMs desperate, by markets desperate/angry and media whipping the fans into a frenzy.

A sober review of the 4-5 moves: Huberdeau/Wheager/Kadri, Horvat, DBC would have said that they are mistakes and not be be made, or overpayments and needed toning down..
Of all the things one might reasonably think about "get a new girlfriend" Pierre, thinking he is made to feel desperate by fan angst is probably not one of them. Having virtually zero EQ in a weird way ocassionally functions as his superpower. Waiting out the Chychrun situation for example.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I’m not relenting on my demand for a good pick/prospect because I’m getting marchment. We are doing them a favour. A favour nobody did us for Zaitsev. If we take marchment we should be getting a better deal. Otherwise tell Dallas to offload him to someone else and pay the price.
Marchment is still a very serviceable player in the middle-six. Probably a little overpaid but he won't be an anchor, especially with a rising cap. Our bottom six needs a lot of help.

Reactions: Zapp

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
I’m seeing this take pile up quickly so I’m gonna get out in front of this before Ottawa fans get too excited.

There’s no way in hell you’re getting Wyatt for DeBrincat.

I’d focus on Stankoven/Bourque/Harley.

Agreed Stars won't give up Wyatt. Cat is obviously better but age and salary a huge factor in keeping him. If Sens could get Stankoven and Harley I'd be very happy with that.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I’m seeing this take pile up quickly so I’m gonna get out in front of this before Ottawa fans get too excited.

What about Tyler Boucher for Wyatt Johnston? Top 10 pick for a lowly late first rounder. Think about it.

• Haha
Reactions: armani

SenatorsLegionary

Member of Sens Army
Oct 25, 2008
Montreal, Qc

That's totally fair and I agree, it's wishful dreaming to get Johnston in return for DeBrincat.

There's another take that I've seen quite a bit across a few boards that DeBrincat doesn't fit with the Stars' cap structure. I may be in the minority or have an unpopular opinion with regard to that, but I tend to disagree. Dallas has Pavelski and Benn as older veterans coming off their books in one and two years respectively, and DeBrincat would fit in with Hintz, Robertson and Johnston as the younger forward nucleus going forward for the Stars.

As well, if Dallas is considering a buyout for Suter and if they send back Marchment or Faksa as a cap consideration in a trade with Ottawa, they should be able to fit DeBrincat into their roster with their available cap space. It might be a tight squeeze for year 1, but it should get easier after that. What's your opinion on this? I'd be interested to hear from a Dallas fan's perspective.

Reactions: Zapp

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
That's totally fair and I agree, it's wishful dreaming to get Johnston in return for DeBrincat.

There's another take that I've seen quite a bit across a few boards that DeBrincat doesn't fit with the Stars' cap structure. I may be in the minority or have an unpopular opinion with regard to that, but I tend to disagree. Dallas has Pavelski and Benn as older veterans coming off their books in one and two years respectively, and DeBrincat would fit in with Hintz, Robertson and Johnston as the younger forward nucleus going forward for the Stars.

As well, if Dallas is considering a buyout for Suter and if they send back Marchment or Faksa as a cap consideration in a trade with Ottawa, they should be able to fit DeBrincat into their roster with their available cap space. It might be a tight squeeze for year 1, but it should get easier after that. What's your opinion on this? I'd be interested to hear from a Dallas fan's perspective.

No I think you’ve got a pretty good beat on the situation. My main concern is how much DeBrincat is looking for on a tenured deal. Robertson is only on a bridge currently and they’ll wanna talk extension in 2 years. If DBC is looking to cash out it could hinder our ability to pay Robertson in the near future.

Also, nobody here should be disappointed if you get Stankoven, Bourque, or Harley. We’re a small market team and our prospects don’t get talked about much. Stankoven almost made our roster this year after a dominant WHL award winning season, and Bourque had a breakout year in the AHL. Harley played outstanding for us in the playoffs and is without a doubt a lock to be a top 4 D on whatever team he plays on. These are all high-end young players.

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016

Would Marchment + Stankoven/Bourque/Harley + 2024 1st (top 10 protected) be realistic?

Or some similar framework of Marchment, prospect, pick

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Would Marchment + Stankoven/Bourque/Harley + 2024 1st (top 10 protected) be realistic?

Or some similar framework of Marchment, prospect, pick

It’s very realistic and I think makes a lot more sense than any of the packages Detroit can offer you guys (especially the laughable ones around Zadina). The hang-up will be the 24’ 1st rounder and I’m not saying that in anyway to implicate DeBrincat’s value. It’s obviously fair given the assumption Dallas is a strong team again next year and that 1st will be a late pick. But we had never seen Nill trade a 1st until this year so we were shocked at the Lundkvist trade. For him to do it 2 years in a row would certainly be unexpected. Especially with some of the other cap gymnastics he’ll have to do to fill the team out.

Last edited:

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
It’s very realistic and I think makes a lot more sense than any of the packagers Detroit can offer you guys (especially the laughable ones around Zadina). The hang-up will be the 24’ 1st rounder and I’m not saying that in anyway to implicate DeBrincat’s value. It’s obviously fair given the assumption Dallas is a strong team again next year and that 1st will be a late pick. But we had never seen Nill trade a 1st until this year so we were shocked at the Lundkvist trade. For him to do it 2 years in a row would certainly be unexpected. Especially with some of the other cap gymnastics he’ll have to do to fill the team out.

yeah makes sense, I think Detroit has the 17ova which Ottawa could try to flip. I am not a big fan of their roster players or prospects though - and although its not that big of a deal I would prefer to see DBC in Dallas

But I would be happy with a Marchment + Stankoven + pick package. Seems fair under the circumstance

Reactions: NB613 and Zapp

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Give me Zub or we ain’t cool anymore bro.

Dallas adds a used Spezza jersey

In a vacuum I do this deal but defensemen are in such high demand and Zub is pretty much our only RD.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

That would still ultimately be a pretty tight cap situation for them. It's the cap situation this year that is the hurdle for Dallas. Not saying its impossible, but it would be tight and not a very good situation for them.

Background (current cap situation)

6 players to sign, $7.3 m of projected cap space

Trade Cap Details

Debrincat = Marchment (traded) + Suter (buyout)

So, they still have 6 players to sign for that $7.3 m. That's a lot of ELCs and sub $1 million (ish) players to fill out a roster (unless I'm missing something). Like I said, it's doable but not a great roster or way to construct their team imho. Maybe they'd move even more players?

Last edited:
Reactions: SenatorsLegionary

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Fortunately, unlike you, Dorion has shown he can be patient, if that's what it takes to get the right deal (see: Chychrun).
That patience really paid off on the Stone and Duchene deals. There isn't much out there right now that benefits us in this scenario, he's handcuffed. And if Cat isn't going to sign theres no point in having him here, if the team wants to win, they need to replace him with something of value and get this team in sync so they could do some potential damage in the future, whats the point of having Debrincat here playing with top guys who will have to adjust without him at some point.

SenatorsLegionary

Member of Sens Army
Oct 25, 2008
Montreal, Qc
No I think you’ve got a pretty good beat on the situation. My main concern is how much DeBrincat is looking for on a tenured deal. Robertson is only on a bridge currently and they’ll wanna talk extension in 2 years. If DBC is looking to cash out it could hinder our ability to pay Robertson in the near future.

Also, nobody here should be disappointed if you get Stankoven, Bourque, or Harley. We’re a small market team and our prospects don’t get talked about much. Stankoven almost made our roster this year after a dominant WHL award winning season, and Bourque had a breakout year in the AHL. Harley played outstanding for us in the playoffs and is without a doubt a lock to be a top 4 D on whatever team he plays on. These are all high-end young players.

Cool thanks, appreciate the insight! I think there's a chance DeBrincat signs for a similar AAV as Fiala or Bratt if he really likes the destination, but on the other hand he has a better pedigree and track record of production, particularly when it comes to goal scoring, which tends to fetch a bit more on the market. I'm speculating here, but ultimately my guess is that he'll come in around $8.2-8.5M on a long-term deal.

I'd also be happy with Stankoven or Bourque coming back in return for Cat. Harley is a nice piece too, but we have a bit of a log jam of left shot D and I feel like we would prefer one of the young forwards for that reason. I think Marchment/Faksa (cap offset) + Stankoven/Bourque + protected 2024 1st is a good framework that can work for both sides.

That would still ultimately be a pretty tight cap situation for them. It's the cap situation this year that is the hurdle for Dallas. Not saying its impossible, but it would be tight and not a very good situation for them.

Background (current cap situation)

6 players to sign, $7.3 m of projected cap space

Trade Cap Details

Debrincat = Marchment (traded) + Suter (buyout)

So, they still have 6 players to sign for that $7.3 m. That's a lot of ELCs and sub $1 million (ish) players to fill out a roster (unless I'm missing something). Like I said, it's doable but not a great roster or way to construct their team imho. Maybe they'd move even more players?

You're right, I think we agree here for the most part. I was alluding to this upcoming season where I said that year 1 would be a tight squeeze for them. It'll fit better after this year if the cap increases as expected and as some of their veteran contracts for older players expire.

The positive for Dallas though is that they would have pretty much all of their major roster spots covered. Their goaltending is already set, they have their top 4 D along with 8 top 9 forwards (would not change with DeBrincat if one of Marchment or Faksa get sent back to us). The 6 players they would have to bring in with the limited cap room would be for their 4th line, a bottom 6er, and a depth forward plus depth dman that won't have to play every game. Like you said, it'll be very tight but it's doable. It would be up to the GM to weigh the risk and reward of making that decision. It could be worth it if it means adding a core piece to their team as Seguin and Benn age out of their existing forward core.

The Dallas cap situation reminds me a bit of several of the discussions/analysis that I was reading on our board prior to it being reported that Cat was not likely to re-sign. It seemed to me like the consensus was that as long as we can make it work for this year, then we would be okay with our cap situation after that. I feel similarly with the Stars' situation, if they can make it work for this upcoming season, then Cat should fit their longer-term cap structure.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Marchment is still a very serviceable player in the middle-six. Probably a little overpaid but he won't be an anchor, especially with a rising cap. Our bottom six needs a lot of help.
He may be. But he is still a cap dump in this scenario and if I’m Pierre I’m telling him I’ll do the deal without him if he can get something for him outside of a trade with Pierre. I see no reason for us to handcuff ourselves to marchment unless there’s a sweetener offered with it. Otherwise just recoup picks.

Marchment may be good. And if there’s a team who gives Dallas a pick for him by all means clear your cap space for the cat however you wish.

But if we are taking cap back then I’ll want a better prospect or pick than without him.

For example

Bourque + 2 2nds

Marchment + Bourque + 1st

Even tho I think Bourque is not good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad