Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Looking back, Chicago definitely knew what they were doing by "selling low" on Cat. They knew what was coming, and sold at the sweet spot just before a major value drop.
Easy to do when you have a bumbling idiot like Dorion to take advantage of

"Ok we are rebuilding, what do do with DBC? He's not a gamebreaker away from Kane and Kane is as good as gone...."
"Ottawa just called and offered a top 10 pick for him"
"Yeah sure, nice try. Why would they do that, he won't sign with them!"
"He just called back and offered more since we hadn't replied"

lang006

Jan 2, 2020
I’m worried they trade him for scraps and then 20 games into next season we hear from Bruce that Dorion wants to “add a top 6 forward”. If the return isn’t good currently then keep him. Move him by deadline if we are out of it. If in contention that is great and we can use him for the stretch drive.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I’m worried they trade him for scraps and then 20 games into next season we hear from Bruce that Dorion wants to “add a top 6 forward”. If the return isn’t good currently then keep him. Move him by deadline if we are out of it. If in contention that is great and we can use him for the stretch drive.
If the goal, or if they are happy enough, with just making the playoffs this coming year, that’s a fine approach.

I’d hope the long term outlook is the main focus here though rather than a short term window.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If the goal, or if they are happy enough, with just making the playoffs this coming year, that’s a fine approach.

I’d hope the long term outlook is the main focus here though rather than a short term window.
Well, when we traded Turris for Duchene, we did it mid season, that's a potential analogue situation, Turris wanted too much and was going to be lost as a UFA, so we made a trade that at least in theory was aimed at helping both short and longer term (didn't pan out since the team collapsed and Duchene left)

We can make a hockey trade involvling Debrincat mid season, ideally we get it done earlier though.

Reactions: lang006

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

So do I but that would seem to be a bit of a switch from last year for this GM. With the cupboards so bare .. The Sens need to put something in them and they will need to use the UFA market and/or get some high value trades like Pittsburgh and Chicago have done (NTCs acknowledged).

Making mistakes and paying for past mistakes (seems we are not done here). Its a smh tough spot and it was discussed last fall.

Reactions: lancepitlick

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think Dorion would keep him as long as "the team is playing meaningful games"!

Reactions: lang006

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think Dorion would keep him as long as "the team is playing meaningful games"!
That's the problem. They pretty much need to be in the shitter imo otherwise he'll be kept.

I like Micklebot's thought of maybe a major trade early on, but it still holds our summer hostage and how can we ice a decent team without that cap space.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
That's the problem. They pretty much need to be in the shitter imo otherwise he'll be kept.

I like Micklebot's thought of maybe a major trade early on, but it still holds our summer hostage and how can we ice a decent team without that cap space.
Did I not read recently, that it sounds like he wants to test free agency, no matter what.?
So does that mean Detroit or bust now?

Or am I misremembering.
But you’re right, we’re kind of cap hostage now, except for small deals.

Hopefully after July 3/4 there’s a second window of interest.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Did I not read recently, that it sounds like he wants to test free agency, no matter what.?

Or am I misremembering.

That was Dorion (I think) that said something to the effect of UFA only comes once was what Cat's camp told him. I'd suspect he would sign if the offer is enough, especially Detroit from the sound of it, but won't be surprised if he runs himself to UFA.

But ya, it just doesn't feel like the summer can go well without him resolved. In hindsight, it seems pretty clear that deal was going to be tough to fit in and still ice a complete team. I'd rather not skimp on depth considering the injuries that always pop up.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Or am I misremembering.

Dorion said in his presser that DBC had told them he will only get to UFA 1 time in his career, and he doesn’t want to resign in Ottawa.

Sounds like, from Dorion at least, DBC is unlikely to sign anywhere, unless it suits his needs 100%.

I can’t imagine he’s going to sign in a place like Long Island, or somewhere else that is checking in on him this off-season, when the cap is expected to rise by 5+ million in time for UFA contracts next year. It doesn’t make much sense from his end, it would be hard to have a season like he had last year, and UFA will have more suitors, as you don’t need to trade assets to offer a contract.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Dorion said in his presser that DBC had told them he will only get to UFA 1 time in his career, and he doesn’t want to resign in Ottawa.

Sounds like, from Dorion at least, DBC is unlikely to sign anywhere, unless it suits his needs 100%.
That was it thanks,

Ya so it might be Detroit or bust,
If in fact that’s his first choice,
Or he wants to see a bidding war on July 1 the first year for the the cap to jump up.

Whatever it is, doesn’t bode well for much of a return.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
That was it thanks,

Ya so it might be Detroit or bust,
If in fact that’s his first choice,
Or he wants to see a bidding war on July 1 the first year for the the cap to jump up.

Whatever it is, doesn’t bode well for much of a return.

Yeah, Dorions job is that much tougher.

Right now, he can’t even get an agreed upon deal from anyone. Nobody is offering enough. That’s a hurdle that needs to be overcome.

Even if we find a deal that is enough to allow DBC’s camp to try and find a deal, what’s the likelihood of them agreeing to go to the team that Dorion has a deal in place with? That’s an even bigger hurdle. DBC basically has a full NMC, as his trade seems dependant on DBC agreeing to sign.

Teams aren’t going to be making a trade without an agreed upon extension. And it’s quite possible that DBC doesn’t want to sign, ANYWHERE, unless it’s his 1st choice for a great contract.

I really see this going the distance, unless we just accept that, like Dorion said yesterday, we are going to give him away for pennies on the dollar, in order to be able to build and maneuver the team through the off-season.

We are between a rock and a hard place.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Yeah, Dorions job is that much tougher.

Right now, he can’t even get an agreed upon deal from anyone. Nobody is offering enough. That’s a hurdle that needs to be overcome.

Even if we find a deal that is enough to allow DBC’s camp to try and find a deal, what’s the likelihood of them agreeing to go to the team that Dorion has a deal in place with? That’s an even bigger hurdle. DBC basically has a full NMC, as his trade seems dependant on DBC agreeing to sign.

Teams aren’t going to be making a trade without an agreed upon extension. And it’s quite possible that DBC doesn’t want to sign, ANYWHERE, unless it’s his 1st choice for a great contract.

I really see this going the distance, unless we just accept that, like Dorion said yesterday, we are going to give him away for pennies on the dollar, in order to be able to build and maneuver the team through the off-season.

We are between a rock and a hard place.
Agreed,
Another option I guess
He becomes his own rental, stays the year,
But then become more cap strapped, (helps if they get the 15% in arb a bit.)

Hard to dump at TDL, unless trade early and reflip an aquired asset for help.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Just move him for a protected 1st and 2nd to free up the money, just do it now. Gives the team a chance to fill the roster with cheap vet place holders on 1 and 2 year contracts.

Just let the core guys mature, give Greig and Sogaard another year in the A, let Boucher, Ostapchuk, Leevi get going as AHL players and have a full draft next year.

sensfan44

peacetowersens
Aug 12, 2007
Chilliwack BC
Visit site
So DBC’s ask is negating possible trades and a half decent return because he’s holding out for his only opportunity as a FA/cashing in/choosing his destination… I wonder what his FA contract would look like coming off a sub-par year this past year and burying him in the minors with limited ice time for a whole season?
It’s almost worth being petty and vindictive
🤔

• Haha
Reactions: Sun God Nika

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
So DBC’s ask is negating possible trades and a half decent return because he’s holding out for his only opportunity as a FA/cashing in/choosing his destination… I wonder what his FA contract would look like coming off a sub-par year this past year and burying him in the minors with limited ice time for a whole season?
It’s almost worth being petty and vindictive
🤔

lol, thats not realistic. But if the sens opt to keep him for the year they owe him nothing.
F3 on the second line , and last consideration for the power play. Make him watch the $$$ piss away over the course of the year with his limited opportunity and hurt his bag in the free agency.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Don't think a single first rounder was moved on draft day 1 this year...can't remember the last time that happened

Weren’t something like 10 already traded prior to the draft?
I wonder what the total average is any given year.

Reactions: bicboi64

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Weren’t something like 10 already traded prior to the draft?
I wonder what the total average is any given year.
15 trades this year involving 10 picks. By comparison...

2022: 17 trades involving 14 picks
2021: 14 trades involving 12 picks
2020: 14 trades involving 11 picks
2019: 10 trades involving eight picks
2018: 12 trades involving nine picks
2017: 12 trades involving nine picks
2016: 14 trades involving 11 picks
2015: 16 trades involving nine picks
2014: Six trades involving five picks

So, the 10-year average is 13 trades involving 9.8 picks. This year is almost perfectly average.

Reactions: Wondercarrot

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

I can’t imagine he’s going to sign in a place like Long Island, or somewhere else that is checking in on him this off-season, when the cap is expected to rise by 5+ million in time for UFA contracts next year. It doesn’t make much sense from his end, it would be hard to have a season like he had last year, and UFA will have more suitors, as you don’t need to trade assets to offer a contract.
I've seen people running with this narrative but isn't this incorrect?

Dorion said they haven't allowed any teams to discuss a contract extension with Debrincat because they haven't got close on a deal yet. When they do, they'll allow the agent and player to discuss with the (potential) acquiring team.

That's a lot different than what's echoing around the forum.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I've seen people running with this narrative but isn't this incorrect?

Dorion said they haven't allowed any teams to discuss a contract extension with Debrincat because they haven't got close on a deal yet. When they do, they'll allow the agent and player to discuss with the (potential) acquiring team.

That's a lot different than what's echoing around the forum.
I think both things can be true — he hasn't talked to anyone else, but he knows where he wouldn't like to be (here) and he knows where he'd like to be, which he's made known with the list he provided.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad