Alex Burmistrov (Part II)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jetkarma*

First can he be an asset ? Yes . Is he worth exploring to see if the situation can be beneficial ? Yes.

However it isn't just local , but of course people close to the Jets / Burmistrov situation would indeed know ,but it's observers from whereever he has been , and not just "in the past" , part of the concern imo has to be the ongoing pattern of behaviour and immaturity and me first position he has decided upon.

Here's a blurb from about a month ago ..... " I hope for Winnipeg Jets sake that if the club has some dignity in their hockey souls, they’d better let Burmistrov remain in Russia or wherever it pleases him.

How to define the Burmistrov syndrome? I have a suggestion:

“When someone is talented enough to score decent numbers, but not interested to help the team to win games or title because the paycheck is good enough.”

That's from Arto Palovaara a Finnish journalist that covers the KHL . It was not the first time he's addressed what he believes are concerns about his attitude .

If it was just mild background whispers mostly about not getting along with Noel , that could easily be accepted . He's turning 24 , it's past time to give a mulligan for not buying in . He's had similar concerns in Russia as he had here , problems with his coach , similar criticisms now as years ago , so maybe just maybe the brunt of the responsibility falls at the players feet.

He has talent , could certainly be a very nice second level player for the Jets and at a good price , I do hope he contributes,but it is truly up to him . There's no agenda on my part , there isn't , I just am not ignoring what is accurate .

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
@WiebeSunSports: As expected, #NHLJets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff met with Mike Liut, agent for Alex Burmistrov yesterday. "We'll keep those discussions going."

peg

Jul 8, 2010
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Sounds like a deal can and will be made to bring Burmistrov back to the NHL after July 1. Will Jets keep him or trade him? Options.

Wpgpage

Nov 25, 2010
As someone said in the Ladd thread this kind of info is for posturing. Folks in the Jets management team and or the Burmistrov camp want the rest of the NHL to know that he is coming back.

ComplexChris

#RideTheLAINE
Feb 27, 2014
Lainepeg
Watching PoMo's draft interview from earlier today and someone asked him about Burmi. He said that Burmi told him "I love Winnipeg. I love playing in Winnipeg."

It really seems like the only problem before was Noel.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Watching PoMo's draft interview from earlier today and someone asked him about Burmi. He said that Burmi told him "I love Winnipeg. I love playing in Winnipeg."

Nah that can't be true.

Burmi is a monster. A MONSTER!!! :laugh:

RustyCat

Registered homie
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg

First off, I'd just like to say what an awesome, on-point communicator PMo is. I just love hearing the guy talk. After hearing him and Chevy in some media scrums & interviews, I feel that they see Burmi in their plans. PMo is a no nonsense kind of coach and I highly doubt he would have endorsed Burmi's possible return, in any fashion. That said, PMo is a pro and would not hesitate for a second to change gears if Burmi was dealt.

Personally I'd like him back. I think he fits the mold here, but he would have to be playing with the right type of players for him to play at his optimum.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
We need Burmi here and badly. I feel the only guy we will retain is Staff, as I think Stemp and Fro go elsewhere, so we need him for this:
Ladd Little Wheeler
Perreault Scheif Burmi
Ehlers Lowry Staff
Thor Copp Armia

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

When he said that was there a :sarcasm: symbol evident?

jetkarma*

Burmistrov with a team first priority and the willingness to be coached would be a positive . If that is the case his value on ice is much higher than his value as a tradeable asset currently.

He would be a good secondary piece , it's completely , 100% up to him to decide if that is his priority and focus and if he'll make it more than lip service.

I hope he does . That would help the Jets .

jetkarma*

We need Burmi here and badly. I feel the only guy we will retain is Staff, as I think Stemp and Fro go elsewhere, so we need him for this:
Ladd Little Wheeler
Perreault Scheif Burmi
Ehlers Lowry Staff
Thor Copp Armia

I don't like the second line . Have to move someone imo .

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Maurice seemed pretty happy with Burmi as a player, and very willing to coach him back with the Jets. He didn't skirt around previous issues with Burmi, but seemed very confident that he could be a positive on the team.

jetkarma*

Too much puck possession? Many combinations there for Pmo to play with, but that's at the very least what I want our top 9 to look like to start with.

Just because I have pointed out actual issues with Burmistrov doesn't mean I don't think he has talent or value .

I don't think he is as talented as many initially thought he was here , and some still think , but he has enough talent to play if it is directed properly paired with the correct attitude.

If that's the case then I don't want him with Scheifele as he imo hangs on to the puck too much and doesn't distribute it well enough at this time . It would diminish scoring chances imo . You want the second line to provide offense . Need it it to do that . He hasn't to date used or played with linemates well enough to creat enough offense imo to be above the third line. He also isn't a strong finisher .

He's young and that could improve , from all accounts it hasn't really done that while he was out of the NHL . Interesting that most are saying he could , should be on the third , some saying the 4th line but Slava Malamud said yesterday he's a waste and cant , won't play in the bottom 6 .

I disagree with that , as I feel his skills could present a good fit on a third line .... IF .... he accepts coaching and feedback from team mates .

The fit is there , we can use a player in the mid six , bottom six , maybe just for a year or two , as we have players ready or almost ready to move from prospect to full time NHL'er , so logistically it works for Winnipeg . If he gets the chance , he can succeed if he decides it's important enough for him , and places the team first .

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Just because I have pointed out actual issues with Burmistrov doesn't mean I don't think he has talent or value .

I don't think he is as talented as many initially thought he was here , and some still think , but he has enough talent to play if it is directed properly paired with the correct attitude.

If that's the case then I don't want him with Scheifele as he imo hangs on to the puck too much and doesn't distribute it well enough at this time . It would diminish scoring chances imo . You want the second line to provide offense . Need it it to do that . He hasn't to date used or played with linemates well enough to creat enough offense imo to be above the third line. He also isn't a strong finisher .

He's young and that could improve , from all accounts it hasn't really done that while he was out of the NHL . Interesting that most are saying he could , should be on the third , some saying the 4th line but Slava Malamud said yesterday he's a waste and cant , won't play in the bottom 6 .

I disagree with that , as I feel his skills could present a good fit on a third line .... IF .... he accepts coaching and feedback from team mates .

The fit is there , we can use a player in the mid six , bottom six , maybe just for a year or two , as we have players ready or almost ready to move from prospect to full time NHL'er , so logistically it works for Winnipeg . If he gets the chance , he can succeed if he decides it's important enough for him , and places the team first .

Im with you, I don't think TNSE bring him back because they've just cleaned up the locker room so to speak and don't want to disrupt that now that they have it where they want it. But I do like Burmi as a player quite a bit.
I guess I think on a good team over 82 games Staff belongs on the third line which is why I had Burmi on the second. Maybe Ehlers takes that spot, who knows. But we need some talent infused there for now thats for sure.

jetkarma*

Im with you, I don't think TNSE bring him back because they've just cleaned up the locker room so to speak and don't want to disrupt that now that they have it where they want it. But I do like Burmi as a player quite a bit.
I guess I think on a good team over 82 games Staff belongs on the third line which is why I had Burmi on the second. Maybe Ehlers takes that spot, who knows. But we need some talent infused there for now thats for sure.

You say you like him as a player , clarify that for me . You like what he's done and how he's produced or you like his skill set and potential .

I don't like his production , and that isn't just points but it of course is a big factor and a reason at this point I don't think the Jets or any team would feel he's a second line asset.

I've said this many many times , but's its true , it's up to him to decide . He may get a chance but he has to make the most of it , or not .

I hope he completely buys in .

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

There comes a time, with 23 year olds like Burmi, when you have to put the past aside, stop wagging your finger at them, let bygones be bygones, and show them some confidence.
I have held Burmi accountable for his actions in the past also, but it's time to change the narrative. He is a very talented player, only ~17 months older than Scheifele, with upside far higher than you suggest.
The Jets AND HF Jets should have a moratorium on the lecturing and give him an opportunity to fly. That means no passive-aggressive restrictions to the bottom-6. We've got plenty of room for him on RW.
Wouldn't you be happier if you were wrong about Burmi?

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
You say you like him as a player , clarify that for me . You like what he's done and how he's produced or you like his skill set and potential .

I don't like his production , and that isn't just points but it of course is a big factor and a reason at this point I don't think the Jets or any team would feel he's a second line asset.

I've said this many many times , but's its true , it's up to him to decide . He may get a chance but he has to make the most of it , or not .

I hope he completely buys in .

Like his skill set a lot. Think he's shown great things in spurts as a young kid in the past and needs to be more consistent. I think he can make line mates better but he wasn't mature enough to deal with Noel wanting North South game cause that's not his game. With the right coach, he can thrive IMO. He is a talented kid and can be our next Frolik if he buys in. He's defensively responsible and can kill penalties even at a young age, he is a good middle six on a strong team.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I think Maurice wants him. So Chevy's gonna get him back in a Jet uniform.

@WFPEdTait: #NHLJets coach Paul Maurice on Alex Burmistrov, whom he met last year at Worlds: "I have a lot of time for this player." #bn

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I think Maurice wants him. So Chevy's gonna get him back in a Jet uniform.

@WFPEdTait: #NHLJets coach Paul Maurice on Alex Burmistrov, whom he met last year at Worlds: "I have a lot of time for this player." #bn

Maurice drives the ship on some things for sure and as Button said today Chevy is a guy that listens. Listens to his coach, listens to his scouts and doesn't pretend to be an expert in everything.

jetkarma*

There comes a time, with 23 year olds like Burmi, when you have to put the past aside, stop wagging your finger at them, let bygones be bygones, and show them some confidence.
I have held Burmi accountable for his actions in the past also, but it's time to change the narrative. He is a very talented player, only ~17 months older than Scheifele, with upside far higher than you suggest.
The Jets AND HF Jets should have a moratorium on the lecturing and give him an opportunity to fly. That means no passive-aggressive restrictions to the bottom-6. We've got plenty of room for him on RW.
Wouldn't you be happier if you were wrong about Burmi?

Have you read my position on him and what I hope for? Because I have stated what I hope for .

He has talent but less than many believe he has imo and that talent has not been productive .

Anyone that doesn't believe the player was mostly responsible for how coaches and team mates have reacted to him and how liked he is or isn't is kidding themselves imo .

Every single person speaking about him in the media in the last couple months has to some degree mentioned the red flags , the issues that the player has initiated . To varying degrees. Those are the softer veiled comments . The harder ones are there if people want to find them .

I've said I hope he buys in as he can be a positive for the Jets , as strictly an asset , he is not worth much at this moment . If he plays and produces and helps the team win , he becomes more valuable , to the Jets , on or off the team .

I am not opposed to having him back , as I have said , but if that was with his mindset that he has had up until this point in his career , then no , I would pass on that .

Good attitude? Willing to be coached and fit in with the team ? Welcome back .

If not with that , would you want him back ?

jetkarma*

Like his skill set a lot. He is a talented kid if he buys in. He's defensively responsible and can kill penalties even at a young age,

Agree with these parts .

He hasn't thrived with other coaches , that is a concern for me . He again didn't like his last coach . Coincidence? Perhaps .

There's also the part about you put your nose to the grindstone andprove yourself , even if you think some things should be different . Not sure that can be said about him to date .

He has positives , no doubt , and can determine his path , if he gets another chance which I expect he will , and should have .

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
I'm taking a really positive slant on the Burmi chronicles :)

I tend to look at this as a young, talented and possibly immature player that got 2 more years in the "minors" while making good bucks and playing at home. This could now be the right time for him to leave home and come back to the big leagues. He would have balked at the minors if the Jets ever wanted to put him there - this way he went on his own accord and still made really good dough...Jets probably get a better pro back.

My bet is that Alex will appreciate the NHL and all the great things that come with it more this time around, and he will be a better hockey player and team influence for his experience back home. I'm think this "room" is a helluva lot stronger and more organized than when he left, and it (or Maurice) won't put up with freelancers.

Of course, I could be completely wrong!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad