AHL Future in Binghamton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
the issue regarding Albany though has changed, the Devils want to move away from being an O/O, besides that, Lamorello is now in Toronto, Nightsquad, and Ray Shero has the control in New Jersey...

what's the difference when the only true name Binghamton's had was Dusters that didn't mimic the parent club's nickname, ie Whalers, Senators....

What issue regarding Albany has changed? There is talks the Devils are considering changing the name of the club back to ALBANY River Rats. The teams website just introduced a new line of River Rats merchandise with Rowdy on the front, and the A-Devils logo on shoulders. Unless the Devils have purchased the River Rats logo and naming rights from the owner of the old Rats franchise they (Devils) cannot just use the old Rowdy logo should they relocate the team to Binghamton. They would have to buy the rights from Mr. Walter Robb. We know Lomoriello is in Toronto, and Shero is in NJ, what's the point? We know they also talked about being open to renaming the franchise Albany River Rats. Does Binghamton want to be associated with another nearby city's identity? The Dusters was a Binghamton identity. If Binghamton was to secure another AHL team it would be smart to carve out their own identity. Binghamton hasn't exactly packed their building either and is a much smaller market. If Binghamton was to score the franchise and get the Devils to their city they will need to squeeze every ounce of revenue out of a dying city. Binghamton needs their own brand, own identity. The Senators logo in Binghamton has sucked, and is lame. I liked their first logo much better then the boring sterile logo Binghamton Senators now use. Binghamton needs to tap into that rust belt down on your luck civic pride that Utica was so successful at tapping into.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
What issue regarding Albany has changed? There is talks the Devils are considering changing the name of the club back to ALBANY River Rats. The teams website just introduced a new line of River Rats merchandise with Rowdy on the front, and the A-Devils logo on shoulders. Unless the Devils have purchased the River Rats logo and naming rights from the owner of the old Rats franchise they (Devils) cannot just use the old Rowdy logo should they relocate the team to Binghamton. They would have to buy the rights from Mr. Walter Robb. We know Lomoriello is in Toronto, and Shero is in NJ, what's the point? We know they also talked about being open to renaming the franchise Albany River Rats. Does Binghamton want to be associated with another nearby city's identity? The Dusters was a Binghamton identity. If Binghamton was to secure another AHL team it would be smart to carve out their own identity. Binghamton hasn't exactly packed their building either and is a much smaller market. If Binghamton was to score the franchise and get the Devils to their city they will need to squeeze every ounce of revenue out of a dying city. Binghamton needs their own brand, own identity. The Senators logo in Binghamton has sucked, and is lame. I liked their first logo much better then the boring sterile logo Binghamton Senators now use. Binghamton needs to tap into that rust belt down on your luck civic pride that Utica was so successful at tapping into.

the point is Binghamton's considering leasing the Albany franchise, Nightsquad, or did you forget where Shero's previous employer was: Pittsburgh/WB/Scranton

no one was seriously considering either Hartford or Albany to be on the move, either , considering how Ottawa owns the current franchise in Binghamton

Will this stop your fanaticsm about D 3 Union OVER Albany:sarcasm:

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
the point is Binghamton's considering leasing the Albany franchise, Nightsquad, or did you forget where Shero's previous employer was: Pittsburgh/WB/Scranton

no one was seriously considering either Hartford or Albany to be on the move, either , considering how Ottawa owns the current franchise in Binghamton

Ottawa does not own the franchise in Binghamton. They are purchasing it from the Tom Mitchell Group but it has been under private ownership since the Sens placed their farm team in Bingo. They did not own it all these years.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007

What does the bolded part have anything to do with albany and binghamton?

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

Umm Union is a DI school which won a National Championship, and right now the team to beat among all DI schools. Kicking Hockey East chowdah hounds and taking names.....

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
Are there any actual sources for this New Jersey/Bingo stuff, beyond hearsay from fans in Binghamton (understandable) or fans of other AHL teams who have it in for Albany (for some reason)?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Are there any actual sources for this New Jersey/Bingo stuff, beyond hearsay from fans in Binghamton (understandable) or fans of other AHL teams who have it in for Albany (for some reason)?

Vegas still might be the wildcard that's not being mentioned yet, imho, I don't think either Hartford or Albany were on the move.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015

Uh, yeah, this. Thank you for saying it. Someone posted an unsourced rumor/speculation and suddenly it's an established 'fact' that not only is NJ moving Albany but also they're 'definitely' no longer interested in operating the franchise. I'm all for speculation for the purpose of discussing the unknown, but it's bizarre how quickly this all became written in stone.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Vegas still might be the wildcard that's not being mentioned yet, imho, I don't think either Hartford or Albany were on the move.

And again this begs the question of...What does this have to do with the topic at hand and that's albany/binghamton???

But I'll play...Vegas has already stated that they want their AHL to be close by if possible...there is a 31st team to be awarded at some point...it's very likely that it will be placed out west or in the mid-west someplace.

For pure speculation's standpoint...It's quite possible that franchise is purchased by Colorado and they leave San Antonio and move to Colorado Springs or someplace like that as has been rumored or speculated previously. The Avs have already expressed interest in owning their own AHL team. That leaves San Antonio empty and then the roulette wheel spins...

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
Uh, yeah, this. Thank you for saying it. Someone posted an unsourced rumor/speculation and suddenly it's an established 'fact' that not only is NJ moving Albany but also they're 'definitely' no longer interested in operating the franchise. I'm all for speculation for the purpose of discussing the unknown, but it's bizarre how quickly this all became written in stone.

I'm especially skeptical since this "story" was started by a Utica fan whose posting history suggests an odd chip on his shoulder towards Albany.

I've been googling and nothing has turned up. If there was a peep from anyone who mattered I would give this more consideration.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Union is not a pro hockey team, but you, Nightsquad, continually derail any thread by inserting them at your own peril

There is no derailing of threads with intent my friend, however you refuse to acknowledge the impact of DI hockey teams have on many minor pro markets. You brought up Union college from my last post which had nothing to do with college hockey. That's all good though, guess I am an attention getter....

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
I'm especially skeptical since this "story" was started by a Utica fan whose posting history suggests an odd chip on his shoulder towards Albany.

I've been googling and nothing has turned up. If there was a peep from anyone who mattered I would give this more consideration.

Yea Binghamton and Utica have had it out for Albany for sure but Albany could be doing better. I think the new Devils brass should look at getting better game times. Why do they start all Saturday games at 5pm? Also, the River Rats hockey mindset is still strong in the minds of Albanians and folks from the region, the Devils would be wise to re assert the River Rats brand. Extend a positive gesture to the market, burry the disaster Lamoriello philosophy and get back to developing New Jersey Devils hockey through River Rats hockey in Albany.

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
Yea Binghamton and Utica have had it out for Albany for sure but Albany could be doing better. I think the new Devils brass should look at getting better game times. Why do they start all Saturday games at 5pm? Also, the River Rats hockey mindset is still strong in the minds of Albanians and folks from the region, the Devils would be wise to re assert the River Rats brand. Extend a positive gesture to the market, burry the disaster Lamoriello philosophy and get back to developing New Jersey Devils hockey through River Rats hockey in Albany.

Many of the crowds in Albany have been poor for sure, but those numbers could be boosted with some organizational changes, like you highlighted. I think many of the Rangers, Isles, and Sabres fans in Albany might be more inclined to go to more games if they shed the Devils identity and went back to the Rats. If I'm not mistaken, the 5pm start times were put in place to get people to spend money on concessions for dinner. I also think the front office should make more effort to reach out to all the local colleges. Where I went there were rarely any "come to the student life office for $10 tickets" promos. You never saw any team reps show up to school functions to raise awareness.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Ottawa does not own the franchise in Binghamton. They are purchasing it from the Tom Mitchell Group but it has been under private ownership since the Sens placed their farm team in Bingo. They did not own it all these years.

ACTUALLY, Ottawa has only owned the franchise since 1992-93, 6768, the last season in New Haven through Charlottetown, PEI, suspended it for 1996-97, in fact, Mitchell left Binghamton for Hartford and then returned to Binghamton...

it doesn't say owned, per se, but it's been common knowledge back to 1977 or at least to the Whalers tenure that Mitchell became involved....

the Dusters franchise actually is still active, even when the Rangers went there now as the Hartford franchise, so I suspect that's why you saw the affinity or push to bring MSG BACK TO Binghamton before Hartford reupped w/ XL.

IN fact, the Rangers have even more history w/ the current Binghamton/Belleville franchise than initially reported even when it was branded the Nighthawks serving as its affiliate 3 previous times in New Haven before the current franchise going there in 2002...

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
ACTUALLY, Ottawa has only owned the franchise since 1992-93, 6768, the last season in New Haven through Charlottetown, PEI, suspended it for 1996-97, in fact, Mitchell left Binghamton for Hartford and then returned to Binghamton...

it doesn't say owned, per se, but it's been common knowledge back to 1977 or at least to the Whalers tenure that Mitchell became involved....

the Dusters franchise actually is still active, even when the Rangers went there now as the Hartford franchise, so I suspect that's why you saw the affinity or push to bring MSG BACK TO Binghamton before Hartford reupped w/ XL.

IN fact, the Rangers have even more history w/ the current Binghamton/Belleville franchise than initially reported even when it was branded the Nighthawks serving as its affiliate 3 previous times in New Haven before the current franchise going there in 2002...

Wut.

mmazz22

Jan 24, 2010
Ottawa does NOT OWN the Bing Sens. Hutch they are privately owned by a local group. They will own the franchise at the end of this season. But no they have never ever owned the Binghamton Senators.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Ottawa does NOT OWN the Bing Sens. Hutch they are privately owned by a local group. They will own the franchise at the end of this season. But no they have never ever owned the Binghamton Senators.

false, then why did Tom Mitchell bolt Binghamton for Hartford for 3 seasons then and that's posted on the Senators site when I researched it

Ottawa has owned it and Mitchell is a part-owner, not the full owner, also, according to the B-Sens, unless that's false information on Mitchell.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014

Thank you 22, you should know more about it than most on here.

I cannot understand Hutch's explanation at all. The O Sens have never owned the Binghamton Senators.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad