AHL Future in Binghamton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
210 the deal doesn't matter. The NJ Devils DO NOT want to run a team anymore. The Bing group will lease the franchise. That is why this is happening. It has nothing to do with a lease deal or the appeal of Bing over Albany ,it is simply NJ not having to run a AHL team and a local group paying them whatever the cost is to lease a team for 6 years.

You tell me that the deal doesn't matter, and then post all the things in the deal that would make the Devils want to move... :laugh:

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
Wow, I did! Even after reading your post it took me a few minutes to get it.

Hopefully the fans in Bingo aren't being lied to by the current owners. That would really burn some bridges, even for a different group that might try to bring in an ECHL team in the future.

As an Albany fan, I hope they are, at least in the context of the Devils.

It's sad that in today's AHL, some fans are always going to end up getting screwed. It pits us against each other when we should all just sit back and enjoy the game.

mmazz22

Jan 24, 2010
You said they have a great deal in Albany.
I'm assuming you meant the lease deal.
Everything I mentioned in my post had nothing to do with arena lease deals.
Not one thing. Read it again

mmazz22

Jan 24, 2010
And your right Zeke. It sucks to be happy when other fans lose thier team.
Horrible feeling I went through in 97.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
You said they have a great deal in Albany.
I'm assuming you meant the lease deal.
Everything I mentioned in my post had nothing to do with arena lease deals.
Not one thing. Read it again

That's the problem when you assume. I was referring to the whole package in Albany, not just lease on the arena.

mmazz22

Jan 24, 2010
or the problem when a poster is not clear. Apparently the Albany lease has a out clause after every season. Doesn't matter. We ll see what happens in January.

Psuedo Omega

Nov 1, 2013
Binghamton, NY
If it's the Devils, I really hope that they decide to go with a different name and logo other than the "Devils". I know Binghamton probably doesn't have a lot of options if they want to keep the AHL, and I know we should be happy to still have a team in the league. However, I don't know if calling the team the "Binghamton Devils" is a good idea in an area with a large Rangers fan following. They really should go with a re-brand, as I think this would help make the team feel more like our own. Bring back the Dusters or something. Obviously hockey fans will still go to the games, but there's probably going to be a decrease in attendance if they're called the Devils. I guess the real questions would be how big the decrease (it may not be significant) will be and if ownership cares or not.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
I'm not so sure about the rumors of the Devils wanting someone else to run the AHL franchise, mostly because during Ray Shero's time in Pittsburgh he made sure that the Pens were deeply involved in WBS and even working directly with Wheeling. This would be quite a reversal of management philosophy for Shero.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I'm not so sure about the rumors of the Devils wanting someone else to run the AHL franchise, mostly because during Ray Shero's time in Pittsburgh he made sure that the Pens were deeply involved in WBS and even working directly with Wheeling. This would be quite a reversal of management philosophy for Shero.

I think you can have a local ownership group that works closely with its parent affiliated club.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
If it's the Devils, I really hope that they decide to go with a different name and logo other than the "Devils". I know Binghamton probably doesn't have a lot of options if they want to keep the AHL, and I know we should be happy to still have a team in the league. However, I don't know if calling the team the "Binghamton Devils" is a good idea in an area with a large Rangers fan following. They really should go with a re-brand, as I think this would help make the team feel more like our own. Bring back the Dusters or something. Obviously hockey fans will still go to the games, but there's probably going to be a decrease in attendance if they're called the Devils. I guess the real questions would be how big the decrease (it may not be significant) will be and if ownership cares or not.

IMO, every AHL team should have a unique name that differs from their NHL parent club.

It only makes sense.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Why would the Devils want to move their AHL squad from an area with a larger population and better arena to Bingo?

Albany is also a closer drive to Newark than Bingo.

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
Why would Ottawa want to move their AHL squad from an area with a larger population and better arena to Belleville?

To play their AHL players in Canadian dollars and to help grow their brand across Ontario.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Why would the Devils want to move their AHL squad from an area with a larger population and better arena to Bingo?

Albany is also a closer drive to Newark than Bingo.

According to Google Maps the difference in drive time is five minutes.

Previous actions of the Devils organization indicate that they don't care how many people show up to games at their AHL affiliate and they don't care about whether they lose money either. They also seem to care even less than other NHL teams about winning at the AHL level. Of course their priorities could have changed, so they may have decided there is some advantage in leasing the franchise to an ownership group in Binghamton (or some similar arrangement). Maybe they stand to lose less money in Bingo, or they just don't want the hassle of dealing with the day to day operations.

mmazz22

Jan 24, 2010
They would instantly make money doing the bingo deal. Instead of losing money running a team, they make whatever the Bing group pays the yearly to lease team.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
According to Google Maps the difference in drive time is five minutes.

Previous actions of the Devils organization indicate that they don't care how many people show up to games at their AHL affiliate and they don't care about w hether they lose money either. The
y also seem to care even less than other NHL teams about winning at the AHL level. Of course their priorities could have changed, so they may have decided there is some advantage in leasing the franchise to an ownership group in Binghamton (or some similar arrangement). Maybe they stand to lose less money in Bingo, or they just don't want the hassle of dealing with the day to day operations.

Well, its an entirely new regime from ownership to hockey ops mgmt now with the Devils so what you're referencing no longer applies.

Witb Lou it was all about how the AHL can groom players for the NHL squad.
Hard to argue with his success with 3 Cups and 5 Finals during his reign.

Ray Shero seems to put a stronger emphasis on the AHL team's success and it showed in Albany's playoff run last season.

My posts have no disrespect to Bingo, I've never been there, but on the surface it appears that Albany has more advantages for the Devils.

mmazz22

Jan 24, 2010
No disrespect taken. To be honest the Times Union center is a way better arena than our Bing facility. Distance roughly the same to Newark. I just feel this is strictly a business descion. To be honest I just can't wait till Ottawa is gone.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
No disrespect taken. To be honest the Times Union center is a way better arena than our Bing facility. Distance roughly the same to Newark. I just feel this is strictly a business descion. To be honest I just can't wait till Ottawa is gone.

If the Devils do relocate to Bingo I hope they start fresh with a new nickname.
It would create a buzz around the team for the local fanbase.

I plan to go see Albany @ Bingo this season.

I will pm you for hotel/pregame suggestions prior.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Susquehanna River Rats

Doesn't make sense, first the Devils organization would have to acquire the River Rats brand from the previous owner. The Devils do not own or have rights to the Rowdy logo, and River Rats name. That is owned and retained from the owner of the former River Rats franchise which was sold to the group in Charlotte NC. The franchise's former owner, Albany area businessman had offered the River Rats name and logo to former Devil GM Lomoriello since they were moving their AHL franchise from Lowell. The Devils organization blew off the offer opting instead to build the Devils brand and paint the town red in Albany. Lou Lomoriello came out publicly and stated he never liked the River Rats name and logo and certainly weren't going to use that name and logo no longer in Albany since it was their own franchise they brought into the city.

If Binghamton was going to land the Devils and not use the Devils name or logo I would think the most important thing would be is to carve out their own new identity or build upon what was successfully done in Utica. Why try and poach a name, logo, basically a cities identity (Albany) that still resonates with fans not only in Albany but rival fans around the league???? The former River Rats owner publicly stated he would offer the name and logo to any organization which was willing to commit to keeping the team in Albany so unless that has changed and the Devils are willing to purchase the name and logo in anticipation of relocation then you have me stumped.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Doesn't make sense, first the Devils organization would have to acquire the River Rats brand from the previous owner. The Devils do not own or have rights to the Rowdy logo, and River Rats name. That is owned and retained from the owner of the former River Rats franchise which was sold to the group in Charlotte NC. The franchise's former owner, Albany area businessman had offered the River Rats name and logo to former Devil GM Lomoriello since they were moving their AHL franchise from Lowell. The Devils organization blew off the offer opting instead to build the Devils brand and paint the town red in Albany. Lou Lomoriello came out publicly and stated he never liked the River Rats name and logo and certainly weren't going to use that name and logo no longer in Albany since it was their own franchise they brought into the city.

If Binghamton was going to land the Devils and not use the Devils name or logo I would think the most important thing would be is to carve out their own new identity or build upon what was successfully done in Utica. Why try and poach a name, logo, basically a cities identity (Albany) that still resonates with fans not only in Albany but rival fans around the league???? The former River Rats owner publicly stated he would offer the name and logo to any organization which was willing to commit to keeping the team in Albany so unless that has changed and the Devils are willing to purchase the name and logo in anticipation of relocation then you have me stumped.

the issue regarding Albany though has changed, the Devils want to move away from being an O/O, besides that, Lamorello is now in Toronto, Nightsquad, and Ray Shero has the control in New Jersey...

what's the difference when the only true name Binghamton's had was Dusters that didn't mimic the parent club's nickname, ie Whalers, Senators....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad