Rumor: Adrian Dater - Sakic looking to add a C with a bit of term and Goalie insurance- Mentions JT Miller

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Look at Miller’s contract, especially if there’s retention. And then look at Miller’s production vs Coleman’s.

Worked out beautifully for Tampa. Not an overpay at all.
Like I said, at the time it was considered an overpay. I don’t see why that’s the standard.
And I said nothing about retention.

I get why you think Miller is worth way more than the Coleman package, I just don’t think he’ll get it. What team is going to give up that much?
Plus Barron is a better prospect than Foote

Reactions: John Mandalorian

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Like I said, at the time it was considered an overpay. I don’t see why that’s the standard.

I get why you think Miller is worth way more than the Coleman package, I just don’t think he’ll get it. Plus Barron is a better prospect than Foote
It was seen as a slight overpay at the team. The fact that Miller is a better player, that is vastly outperforming what Coleman was doing at the time, more than makes up for that.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Do you think Vancouver is going to trade Miller for what is deemed “fair value”?

I get why you think Miller is worth way more than the Coleman package, I just don’t think he’ll get it. Plus Barron is a better prospect than Foote

And the 1st involved in that trade was more valuable than a future 1st Colorado would be offering.

What you’re offering is what a team should expect to pay for a rental of Miller’s ability. Vancouver has no reason to move Miller at this trade deadline for the same value they could expect to get at next year’s deadline. Are they in the business of doing other teams’ favours?

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver

I get why you think Miller is worth way more than the Coleman package, I just don’t think he’ll get it. What team is going to give up that much?
Plus Barron is a better prospect than Foote
So at the time if it was considered an overpay and in hindsight it looks like a good trade doesn't that mean the original opinion was wrong?

Also Barron is not much of a better prospect than Foote. Foote was the 27th overall pick, Barron was the 25th overall pick. In a re-draft of both's prospective drafts they both probably go in the same draft spots. For any difference between Foote and Barron, you could say the same between getting an unprotected 1st from Vancouver vs Colorado 1st.

Canucks were free falling and projected to miss the playoffs when Tampa made that trade. Thanks to covid and the play-in, Canucks managed to make the playoffs. New Jersey was looking at a potential lottery pick + Foote. At worst they knew they were getting a top 20 pick.

20th overall pick + Foote = Projected late 1st + Barron

Last edited:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Ya Canucks already have Hughes and have high hopes for Rathbone. Both are undersized puck movers. There's no way the Canucks would add Girard into that small Dcore already.

1st + Barron would be something worth it to the Canucks if Miller was a UFA this year. So maybe next year the Canucks take that offer if they dont move Miller this year. Even then, it doesnt sound enough for Miller.

Miller + 2 playoff runs will cost a lot more than a 1st and Baron.

Look what Blake Coleman got.

Coleman's career high was 36 points. Before the Tampa trade he had 31 pts in 57 games.
He was under contract for the next year too like Miller.

Now take a look at Miller's stats. Something like 156 pts in his last 160 games.

Coleman got Foote and 1st
Coleman was moved in a seller's market given how few sellers and good forwards were available that season. Conversely, this year there's already looking like 7-8 sellers in the east alone, and many good forwards available which will likely keep prices down a bit.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
My offer would be:

Miller @ 50%
Halak

2023 1st
Barron
Helleson/Kaut/Olausson
There's a significant gap in value at this stage between Helleson/Olausson and Kaut. Helleson has top 4 shutdown potential, Olausson top 6 upside, whereas Kaut projects more as a third liner.

Also, it's extremely unlikely that Sakic moves both Helleson and Barron, as that would leave the team without a RHD behind Makar going forwards.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

lawrence

May 19, 2012
can't go wrong by saying Avs are trying to all in. they are at that stage to try to go all in and try to win a cup after 2 years of failing expectations.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Canucks are not retaining 50% on Miller. Miller would be a good fit for many teams, but only way he gets dealt this TDL is if a team makes an offer that knocks the Canucks socks off...in the Avs case for this thread that would be Newhook, Barron/Helleson AND something else, otherwise I think the Canucks hold on to him.

Not gonna happen. I wouldn't trade Newhook for Miller. I would possibly trade him for Hertl, however.

So it looks like you can hold on to him and squeeze him tight.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
If these are the prices for Miller a contender would probably rather spend a 1st or equal value this year on a nice rental and another first next year on another nice rental if they were still in the playoff hunt. Why give up more than 2 1st round picks for 1 guaranteed playoff run and another maybe playoff run for Miller? You probably could get some real nice pieces in both runs for much cheaper then dropping 3 or 4 1st round picks worth if value. People acting like that extra year is so amazing. He isn't signed for 3 or more years and he is cashing in after his deal is up.

This talk of 3 or 4 first round pick value is ridiculous.
Good luck finding a PPG forward at 2.6M (after Canucks retain) that can play all forward positions, PP and Pk. Nevermind that 2.6M will be prorated so you will have cap even after this trade to trade for more players at the TDL.

Feb 19, 2018
Even next deadline if we wait on Miller we could get a truck load. I’d say a first and two seconds. No rush for Vancouver to do this.

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Like Colorado needs more offence.
How about them goalies or some toughness when Vegas starts abusing them again in the playoffs?
We could give you guys Halak for a 2nd round pick.:D

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Like Colorado needs more offence.
How about them goalies or some toughness when Vegas starts abusing them again in the playoffs?
We could give you guys Halak for a 2nd round pick.:D

Vegas comment aside, this is more or less my view. The Avs need more jam in the middle and bottom 6 while not undermining their core strengths. It makes overpaying Miller seem unecessary.

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Vegas comment aside, this is more or less my view. The Avs need more jam in the middle and bottom 6 while not undermining their core strengths. It makes overpaying Miller seem unecessary.
We've got Pearson for that "jam" in the bottom 6. You guys can have him for a 2nd.:) I think he would waive for a team like the AVS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad