Rumor: Adrian Dater - Sakic looking to add a C with a bit of term and Goalie insurance- Mentions JT Miller

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Would expect if Canucks do move miller it would be this trade deadline or in off-season. Seems pointless to wait another deadline for the return to decrease. Only way it goes that long if Canucks try to resign him and realize it’s not going to happen.
There is a pretty reasonable chance the Canucks are in a playoff spot by the TDL. If that's the case, no way they trade Miller this year.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
There is a pretty reasonable chance the Canucks are in a playoff spot by the TDL. If that's the case, no way they trade Miller this year.
That’s fair. We are used to how Benning dealt with things so having new management makes things a bit more unclear. But not in any rush to deal miller, especially if the offers are trash.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
That’s fair. We are used to how Benning dealt with things so having new management makes things a bit more unclear. But not in any rush to deal miller, especially if the offers are trash.

I think there is obviously a ceiling on what a team will pay for JT Miller. It doesn't increase exponentially based on two playoff runs. I think he will still get a premium in the offseason, or next TDL if they hang on to him this year. If we get a playoff push/run out of him this year, and a premium return afterward, I think that's best case.

I'm pretty confident that the Canucks have far more interest in signing him than trading him though. He fits so well with our core group.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Hey you're an Avs fan so you'd know best. I'd just hate to see that idiot cost a good team from advancing in the playoffs

I would hate it too.. really hoping he realizes he won’t cash in on a big contract if he pulls that again.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010

Compared to other teams, that chance is very low, like maybe 10% chance right now at most for the Canucks.

Teams ahead all have games on hand.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Compared to other teams, that chance is very low, like maybe 10% chance right now at most for the Canucks.

Teams ahead all have games on hand.

That isn't true. The Ducks, Kings Sharks are 2,3,4 in the division, and have played more games. The only team ahead of us with games in hand is Calgary.

We are at worst 6 points out with 44 games to play. They very well may miss, but are right in the mix right now.

For reference we've picked up 9 points on the ducks in the past 10 games, and 6 on the Flames. Acting like a 6 point gap at this stage of the season is insurmountable is ridiculous.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
That isn't true. The Ducks, Kings Sharks are 2,3,4 in the division, and have played more games. The only team ahead of us with games in hand is Calgary.

We are at worst 6 points out with 44 games to play. They very well may miss, but are right in the mix right now.

For reference we've picked up 9 points on the ducks in the past 10 games, and 6 on the Flames. Acting like a 6 point gap at this stage of the season is insurmountable is ridiculous.

The past dozen games have the boost of the new coach.

From now till all Star break will tell.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
There’s also a huge difference between having a player signed for 2.625M vs 5.25M

Obviously that’s a much different proposal for
many reasons. 1 as you mentioned we aren’t a contender. 2. Podkolzin is a much much better prospect then Barron.

Colorado has makar/Bryam/girard/toews. They also have 2 other decent d prospects. If I saw pettersson as a winger and the Canucks had him/boeser/hoglander/garland on the wings whilst being a legitimate contender, I would consider that trade. Given Podkolzin’s status as a top tier prospect and not a blue chip like Barron. I’d be willing to pay Podkolzin + 1st + 2nd for a jt miller at 2.625M for 2 cup runs. I’d rather become the overall favourites for the 2 seasons and maximize the teams chance at a cup then just be contenders. The end goal is to win a cup no? Not hope to just be in the playoffs all the time. By the time Podkolzin develops into his prime, the team may be on the downswing anyways. If that’s the case it becomes time to sell off the older vets.

Players of JT Miller's caliber dont just become available. Theres only a few that have these last 5 years. Eichel (coming off a major major injury and was never going to play a game in Buffalo again), Laine, Dubois, Duchene

Eichel is a much better player and returned a young top 6 pwf, A+ prospect, 1st round pick, 2nd round pick. I'd say overall value pick wise is 3 1sts and 2 2nds.
Laine and Dubois were traded for each other
Duchene returned Turris + Bowers + 1st + Hammond + 3rd round pick. At the time Turris was a 50-60 point 2C. So I'd say overall value pick wise was 3 1sts + 2nd + 3rd + 7th round pick. This doesnt even take into account what Turris was immediately flipped for which was higher than the 1st and 2nd round pick valuation I put on him for that time.

Now just a comparison for salary purposed
Blake Coleman (career 30-40 point player to this day even) at 1.8M for 1.5 years cost 2 1sts.

The 2 best comparisons are Duchene and Coleman. If Duchene at 6M for 1.5 years returns 3 1sts + 2nd + 3rd + 7th value, Coleman at 1.8M for 1.5 years returns 2 1sts value, how can you say Miller isnt worth the middle ground of 3 1sts at 2.625M for 1.5 years? Can you give proof of players traded for less that are as good or close?

I dont agree with your logic. First The Avs don't need offense they need a goalie. 2nd to say they have all these other players does not diminish a prospects value. He is what he is and his value is his value. You dont sell a player for less because you have depth. 3rd cherry picking past trades that were over pays does not dictate their value. Mark stone was traded for much less Taylor hall last year. Sam Reinhart this year. I could probably name some more if I actually put thought into it.

In all seriousness, I will admit the price is going down from thread to thread. The Rangers thread had a price of 4 1st round picks and now its Barron and 2 firsts? I think that's fairly close. I personally feel its a 1st, prospect and another smaller piece player/2nd round pick etc.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
They just played 9 straight on the road and the past 5 have been against top 10 teams.

5-3-1, 11 of 18 possible points in 9 games over 34 days is not exactly barn burning.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Andrew Copp interest you at all?

Came here to suggest Copp. Avalanche fans can cut the cost of assets surrendered as it seems the price on J.T. Miller will be driven up and still come away with a pretty solid player.

Wouldn’t mind sending Copper to a team with a real strong chance at winning the Stanley Cup.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Came here to suggest Copp. Avalanche fans can cut the cost of assets surrendered as it seems the price on J.T. Miller will be driven up and still come away with a pretty solid player.

Wouldn’t mind sending Copper to a team with a real strong chance at winning the Stanley Cup.
Chevy's job is probably on the line as he's already on thin ice.

I can't see the Jets selling assets after making a bunch of moves in the summer. If Jets move Copp it's probably the last move Chevy makes as an NHL gm for a long time if not ever.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Reasonable in what way?

They're 11th in the West right now, 5 points back of WC2. And the teams in 9th and 10th have a number of games in hand.

It's possible they creep into a playoff spot by March, but it certainly isn't likely.

Not to mention the two teams in 9th and 10th are just better teams on paper than Vancouver. Winnipeg in particular will be a hard team for Vancouver to pass.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Reasonable in what way?

They're 11th in the West right now, 5 points back of WC2. And the teams in 9th and 10th have a number of games in hand.

It's possible they creep into a playoff spot by March, but it certainly isn't likely.

Not to mention the two teams in 9th and 10th are just better teams on paper than Vancouver. Winnipeg in particular will be a hard team for Vancouver to pass.
They are 6 points out of 2nd In The division with a game in hand. 6 points out of 3rd with 2 games in hand.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I dont agree with your logic. First The Avs don't need offense they need a goalie. 2nd to say they have all these other players does not diminish a prospects value. He is what he is and his value is his value. You dont sell a player for less because you have depth. 3rd cherry picking past trades that were over pays does not dictate their value. Mark stone was traded for much less Taylor hall last year. Sam Reinhart this year. I could probably name some more if I actually put thought into it.

In all seriousness, I will admit the price is going down from thread to thread. The Rangers thread had a price of 4 1st round picks and now its Barron and 2 firsts? I think that's fairly close. I personally feel its a 1st, prospect and another smaller piece player/2nd round pick etc.
I never diminished Podkolzin or Barron's value because of the depth though? You asked me if the Canucks were a contender, shoe was on the other foot, would I trade Podz + 2 1sts for Larkin at 50%. I mentioned well if the Canucks had the young winger depth to cover for his loss (like the Avs do on D for Barron), and the Canucks were serious contenders and would be seen as favourites, I would offer a 3 1st value because I would rather be the overwhelming favourites for 2 years to win the cup (worked for TBL in year 2) than have 3 1sts value. Although 3 1st value in my eyes would be max Pod + 1st + 2nd.

I didnt cherry pick anything, pending UFA always cost less because you're getting them for 10-20 reg season games and a playoff run.
Mark Stone was a pending UFA and it was clear Ottawa wasn't re-signing him. He returned a top prospect (brannstrom) + 2nd + a 4th liner. Come next TDL if its clear we aren't re-signing Miller, I'd be happy with that kind of return for him.
Taylor Hall again another pending UFA clearly leaving his current team. Returned a 2nd + a young 4th liner with 3rd line upside. Essentially a 2nd + 3rd round pick value.

So given these examples, how is expecting a 1st + 3rd value for Miller next TDL overpriced? Thats less than Stone got since Brannstrom was highly regarded and worth more than a late 1st. Its more than Hall got because Miller plays all 3 positions, and is better at both ends of the ice.

The only difference on price now vs a month ago is the Canuck fans that have been reasonable all along (I like to think myself included) have come to the acceptance that we arent getting a top prospect like Schneider/Newhook/Podkolzin/Brannstrom along with the late 1st. Instead we are getting a Barron or Lundqvist + a late 1st and then a 2nd round pick value in a roster player to take salary back. When we retain 50% we expect that to increase that 2nd round pick value to a 1st round pick value.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad