Rumor: Adrian Dater - Sakic looking to add a C with a bit of term and Goalie insurance- Mentions JT Miller

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
They should just trade for Giroux then extend him at something like 3 x $6

Would love to see Giroux finish his career playing with a powerhouse after the bullshit he just had to deal with for a decade.

If they were smart they'd sell high on Kadri at the deadline, let him go be someone else's problem for the playoffs. Then go out and get both Giroux and Miller, re-signing Giroux if possible. That'd make them a much better team this year and next.

Hell might as well bring in Fleury too

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Like I said, at the time it was considered an overpay. I don’t see why that’s the standard.
And I said nothing about retention.

I get why you think Miller is worth way more than the Coleman package, I just don’t think he’ll get it. What team is going to give up that much?
Plus Barron is a better prospect than Foote
Yep, and the 1st was 20th overall which will be better than the Avs 2023 first. If your going to deep dive on one of the return pieces, you should deep dive into the whole package.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Thats great and all but the price has to be right which according to Canucks fans is way too high.

I hope the Canucks climb back into the race and trade for Larkin 50% retained for Pods and 2 first round picks so we can see how Canucks fans like that value. Your board would lose their mind.
I mean a bunch of us are thinking we should sell because we don’t see the team as anywhere close to being good enough. Edit: if JR decides to go all in then I am sure a lot of us will be confused by that.

Last edited:

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
If they were smart they'd sell high on Kadri at the deadline, let him go be someone else's problem for the playoffs. Then go out and get both Giroux and Miller, re-signing Giroux if possible. That'd make them a much better team this year and next.

Hell might as well bring in Fleury too

Kadri has been one of the best players on the ice and clearly wants to prove himself. Would be insane to trade him.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Kadri has been one of the best players on the ice and clearly wants to prove himself. Would be insane to trade him.

Hey you're an Avs fan so you'd know best. I'd just hate to see that idiot cost a good team from advancing in the playoffs

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Isn't Miller below average 5 on 5?
His point totals have him 32nd amongst forwards in the league in EVP since joining the Canucks, compared to being 15th in total points by a forward over the same time period. So if being 32nd in the league in even strength points makes you below average - then yes???

Just for reference he still has better even strength production than Couturier, Kopitar, Larkin, Svech and tied with Landeskog (this is total points, I didn't calculate pace or ppg).

He is 82nd in the league over that same period in short handed points and 7th in the league in PP points. I would say below average is probably a stretch.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
It's actually a contractual obligation for Avs fans to say Hughes is only okay.
It's true. Just doin our jobs. Quinn Hughes is meh at hockey.

Hey you're an Avs fan so you'd know best. I'd just hate to see that idiot cost a good team from advancing in the playoffs
If this were a video game, I'd sell as high as I can on Kadri. We won't have the cap to give him what he'll ask for next year and he'll probably never score at this pace ever again. But in reality, he'd still just be a rental, and he's worth way more as a member of the team than as a trade chip. I say this after being appalled by the Faulk hit and what it subsequently cost us.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
It's true. Just doin our jobs. Quinn Hughes is meh at hockey.

If this were a video game, I'd sell as high as I can on Kadri. We won't have the cap to give him what he'll ask for next year and he'll probably never score at this pace ever again. But in reality, he'd still just be a rental, and he's worth way more as a member of the team than as a trade chip. I say this after being appalled by the Faulk hit and what it subsequently cost us.

I mean I'm not suggesting they sell him off for draft picks just to make the team worse. But theres comparable (and more importantly, reliable) forwards out there that the Avs would be better off with

Reactions: nightonthesun

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
His point totals have him 32nd amongst forwards in the league in EVP since joining the Canucks, compared to being 15th in total points by a forward over the same time period. So if being 32nd in the league in even strength points makes you below average - then yes???

Just for reference he still has better even strength production than Couturier, Kopitar, Larkin, Svech and tied with Landeskog (this is total points, I didn't calculate pace or ppg).

He is 82nd in the league over that same period in short handed points and 7th in the league in PP points. I would say below average is probably a stretch.

Glad you bring up these stats. It's a joke a lot of people seem to think he's only worth a bunch of spare parts at 50% retention.

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021
I mean a bunch of us are thinking we should sell because we don’t see the team as anywhere close to being good enough. Edit: if JR decides to go all in then I am sure a lot of us will be confused by that.
Hiring JR and Bruce was confusing because those are moves you make when you want to contend not rebuild/retool

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

We obviously need him to stay on the ice, but his play is much more valuable to our playoff chances than the rental return we'd get for him. But, the plan should absolutely be to let him walk in UFA with what he's going to likely get from someone, which is why someone like Miller, who has another reasonable year left on his contract, makes sense if the price is right. The other option is rushing Newhook into the 2C role, which is less than ideal.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Hiring JR and Bruce was confusing because those are moves you make when you want to contend not rebuild/retool
JR has already came out and said that he wants to build a good team over the long term and not do a short term fix by trading 1st rounders/ higher round picks / prospects that we don’t have.

BB is here to fix the kids who were drowning due to Green.

We don’t know what direction the team is going to go but JR said he wont make it until this month after we play all the good teams.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
i didn't put a lot of thought into it but i would assume the only way vancouver trades miller is if there falling out of the race . than they would be looking for a futures package. that would be two seconds , harris plus whatever they could flip toffoli for if they wanted to .(1st )

Harris? Really? A futures package with the likes Harris? Oh thanks. Even if he was a a really good piece (not), he is a free agent in August and can wait a few months to sign wherever he pleases.

Change that Harris to Barron, with Montreal adding something to Colorado, and MAYBE it is something that could be considered, depending on what Toffoli could fetch.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I mean I'm not suggesting they sell him off for draft picks just to make the team worse. But theres comparable (and more importantly, reliable) forwards out there that the Avs would be better off with

Maybe, but we can't just trade him straight up for one of those guys, and won't get enough back in return for him to make it worthwhile. I think the idea would be to add someone to Kadri's line for the playoffs, who can take over the 2C roll next year to give Newhook more time.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Their is a significant difference between 2 1sts plus 2 3rds compared to 3 1sts in value. The Rangers used a 2nd in the 40s to move up 4 spots to take Miller only a few years ago. 3rd round picks aren't even in the same stratosphere as 1st round picks.

For instance would Canuck fans trade Pods plus 2 1st round picks for Larkinat 50%? The answer is no. The player doesn't have to be Larkin but I guarantee if you got back into the race and that was the price you wouldn't want a player similar to JT Miller for only a year and a half.
There’s also a huge difference between having a player signed for 2.625M vs 5.25M

Obviously that’s a much different proposal for
many reasons. 1 as you mentioned we aren’t a contender. 2. Podkolzin is a much much better prospect then Barron.

Colorado has makar/Bryam/girard/toews. They also have 2 other decent d prospects. If I saw pettersson as a winger and the Canucks had him/boeser/hoglander/garland on the wings whilst being a legitimate contender, I would consider that trade. Given Podkolzin’s status as a top tier prospect and not a blue chip like Barron. I’d be willing to pay Podkolzin + 1st + 2nd for a jt miller at 2.625M for 2 cup runs. I’d rather become the overall favourites for the 2 seasons and maximize the teams chance at a cup then just be contenders. The end goal is to win a cup no? Not hope to just be in the playoffs all the time. By the time Podkolzin develops into his prime, the team may be on the downswing anyways. If that’s the case it becomes time to sell off the older vets.

Players of JT Miller's caliber dont just become available. Theres only a few that have these last 5 years. Eichel (coming off a major major injury and was never going to play a game in Buffalo again), Laine, Dubois, Duchene

Eichel is a much better player and returned a young top 6 pwf, A+ prospect, 1st round pick, 2nd round pick. I'd say overall value pick wise is 3 1sts and 2 2nds.
Laine and Dubois were traded for each other
Duchene returned Turris + Bowers + 1st + Hammond + 3rd round pick. At the time Turris was a 50-60 point 2C. So I'd say overall value pick wise was 3 1sts + 2nd + 3rd + 7th round pick. This doesnt even take into account what Turris was immediately flipped for which was higher than the 1st and 2nd round pick valuation I put on him for that time.

Now just a comparison for salary purposed
Blake Coleman (career 30-40 point player to this day even) at 1.8M for 1.5 years cost 2 1sts.

The 2 best comparisons are Duchene and Coleman. If Duchene at 6M for 1.5 years returns 3 1sts + 2nd + 3rd + 7th value, Coleman at 1.8M for 1.5 years returns 2 1sts value, how can you say Miller isnt worth the middle ground of 3 1sts at 2.625M for 1.5 years? Can you give proof of players traded for less that are as good or close?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad