Adam Larsson..

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Larsson can definitely produce. He has an elite first pass and pretty good instincts when it comes to pinching/attacking open ice.

I do think he is the best passer on the entire team in terms of putting it on the other players stick. He's also very patient with the puck. While that's a good thing for maintaining possession, it doesn't always lead to quick scoring chances.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
For a number four overall pick I'm disappointed with what we got. I expected a smooth skating point producer and instead we got more of a defensive D-man who can kill penalties.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
For a number four overall pick I'm disappointed with what we got. I expected a smooth skating point producer and instead we got more of a defensive D-man who can kill penalties.

What were the other options though? Dougie Hamilton looks like a rich mans Gelinas when I watch him. Brodin maybe?

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

Seriously? You're disappointed with a minutes eating top pair defenseman? Don't act like we drafted a Volchenkov or Salvador.

When he was drafted, if you were expecting "smooth skating," you were not paying attention.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
What were the other options though? Dougie Hamilton looks like a rich mans Gelinas when I watch him. Brodin maybe?

Brodin can't produce offense. I'll still take Larsson over him.

I do think that Larsson can be a 30-40 dman if we give him PP time. He averaged 0.5 ppg under Stevens in that situation.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I'm happy with Lars.

I think he was rushed too soon his rookie season which would have been better spent in Albany or in Sweden.

Aside from Lars I had interest in Strome but at this point I don't think we have seen Lars' full abilities as of yet.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
The last few games have erased most of the doubt I had about how reliable he is (away from Greene).

Looking back at that draft, even with the players selected ahead of him, I can't say that we should've gone a different way. We got a top pairing guy at the very least and short of getting a Doughty or Ekblad, you can't be much happier than that.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Josefson is not good defensively, he's too weak on the boards and all over the ice to be any good defensively.

You don't know what you're talking about. Josefson is above average defensively and great on the PK. That's what keeps him on the roster because it sure isn't his offensive output.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004

Adam is already one of the better defensive defenseman in the entire league at the age of 23 which is amazing. His offensive will improve because his passing ability and hockey sense, which I consider top 10 in the league for a defenseman, will cause him to improve offensively. Especially when our team as a whole improves offensively. Not all defenseman are going to just step out of the draft and be Drew Doughty just because they were drafted high. Adam Larsson is a fantastic young player. I don't I know if he'll ever be a 50 point defenseman year in and year out but 40+ points along with his defensive abilities make him well worth that 4th overall pick.

You also must not have known much about Adam Larsson before the draft considering skating was always considered his weakness. Hockey sense, passing and defensive ability were always considered his strengths.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Seriously? You're disappointed with a minutes eating top pair defenseman? Don't act like we drafted a Volchenkovor Salvador.

When he was drafted, if you were expecting "smooth skating," you were not paying attention.

Through the first 5 years of their perspective careers, I'd much rather have Volchenkov for every aspect of the game.

Sykie

Feb 28, 2002
Geneva
snhl.free.fr
You also must not have known much about Adam Larsson before the draft considering skating was always considered his weakness. Hockey sense, passing and defensive ability were always considered his strengths.

Not to interfere in this discussion, but this is just not true.

http://thehockeywriters.com/thenextones-adam-larsson/
"Strong skater", "smooth skater", "unbelievably good skaters"

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/adam_larsson/
"He is the complete package, capable of taking over a game with his size, skating and elite two-way skills.".

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?dpid=9679&tab=scr
"Adam is one of the best skater’s in this year’s draft -- he has excellent speed and mobility. [...] His size and skating ability make him comparable with Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman.""

And so on. Adam Larsson was actually announced as a great skater at the time. Same for his offensive potential which was also announced as very high, although he was quite solid and projected more as a two-way defenseman.

His skating has been a disapointment and that's part of the reason why he didn't fully live up to the hype. All that said I cannot say I am disapointed in him overall, sure he's a 4th pick, but he's still a solid defensman, and with offensive upside. Not like he is a full bust or anything, he still gives us fair value for that pick.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
putting it in caps doesn't make it less absurd :laugh:

Are you serious? Volchenkov early in his career was a fantastic Dman. Guys like that unfortunately hit a wall from years of abuse to the body...but don't think for one srcond that the Volchenkov we saw was what he was throughout his career.

He was a better defenseman in every aspect of the game than Larsson is throughout similar points of their careers. It is not even close.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
>Volchenkov having better skating, shot, passing, decision making, or even defence.

oh well I guess you're just executing another baitfest to drum up another anti-Larsson pissing match.

Larsson sucks, but somehow Merrill is amazing. tee hee

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree

Last edited:

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Not to interfere in this discussion, but this is just not true.

http://thehockeywriters.com/thenextones-adam-larsson/
"Strong skater", "smooth skater", "unbelievably good skaters"

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/adam_larsson/
"He is the complete package, capable of taking over a game with his size, skating and elite two-way skills.".

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?dpid=9679&tab=scr
"Adam is one of the best skater’s in this year’s draft -- he has excellent speed and mobility. [...] His size and skating ability make him comparable with Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman.""

And so on. Adam Larsson was actually announced as a great skater at the time. Same for his offensive potential which was also announced as very high, although he was quite solid and projected more as a two-way defenseman.

His skating has been a disapointment and that's part of the reason why he didn't fully live up to the hype. All that said I cannot say I am disapointed in him overall, sure he's a 4th pick, but he's still a solid defensman, and with offensive upside. Not like he is a full bust or anything, he still gives us fair value for that pick.

The sad part about this report is that Lars is not anywhere near the same stratosphere as Hedman and likely won't ever be considering that his skating and offensive abilities are so poor. Almost nothing from those scouting reports turned out to be true and they were written four years ago.

I think those of you who are convinced that we got a good enough result from that 4th overall pick aren't being objective and truthful with yourselves. Larsson isn't a good skater as advertised. Larsson can't "take a game over" as advertised. He's merely a 3/4 defensive d-man who doesn't really excell at anything in particular, that's a huge disappointment for fourth overall.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
>Volchenkov having better skating, shot, passing, decision making, or even defence.

oh well I guess you're just executing another baitfest to drum up another anti-Larsson pissing match.

Larsson sucks, but somehow Merrill is amazing. tee hee

Better shot, passing and decision making and less goals, assist and points in an a more open era. OK boss.

If you think Larsson is better than a lockout era Volchenkov you are just simply wrong. But I won't prolong this.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Better shot, passing and decision making and less goals, assist and points in an a more open era. OK boss.

If you think Larsson is better than a lockout era Volchenkov you are just simply wrong. But I won't prolong this.

How is the NHL now "more" open than 2006+ lool

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

While I don't agree with you, it's probably closer than most think. The Volchenkov of Ottawa was completely different than the Volchenkov of NJ.

That said, Volchenkov did/does not have nearly the same amount of skill as Larsson. Completely different players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad