Adam Larsson..

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
All this talk about Corrente leads me to another question. Does 28 year old Stephen Gionta have a future in the NHL? I mean Brad Mills is the same age right? Or is Gionta a mainstay, AHL All Star, Minor League for life guy? I think he's a Minor Lifer, but he is available on a call up basis if need to be. He's there if we need him, but he's been in Albany since the River Rats days, and he's closer to 30 than anything. Hey Brad Mills did it though right?

JerryGigantic

Old Skool
Jul 17, 2006
New York
All this talk about Corrente leads me to another question. Does 28 year old Stephen Gionta have a future in the NHL? I mean Brad Mills is the same age right? Or is Gionta a mainstay, AHL All Star, Minor League for life guy? I think he's a Minor Lifer, but he is available on a call up basis if need to be. He's there if we need him, but he's been in Albany since the River Rats days, and he's closer to 30 than anything. Hey Brad Mills did it though right?

Exactly right about Little G being a "career minor leaguer".

He is our Captain in Albany, and "plays the right way", as they say, but he is an undersized grinder -- and offensively challenged -- the exact sort of player who would be a borderline NHLer at best.

Brad Mills has the same kind intangibles -- high hockey IQ, lots of heart -- but he is a bigger body and will drop the gloves, so he has more value at the NHL level as a fourth liner.

And he flat outplayed baby Gionta and the rest of the veteran tweeners in camp, which is a huge part of Mills unlikely success story.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Ya, Little Gio is an AHL lifer. The only time he saw NHL action was when we had a ton of injuries and were totally desperate for warm bodies on the ice last season.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
Corrente played well last year before getting hurt.
Hopefully he`ll get a callup. I was sad to hear Lou said he`s given up on him, but obviously it got him going and Lou should reconsider his status. I still believe he has a future here.

Ya, Little Gio is an AHL lifer. The only time he saw NHL action was when we had a ton of injuries and were totally desperate for warm bodies on the ice last season.
This. I`m sorry, he`s just not NHL caliber, injury replacement for a 4th liner at best.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
corrente needs to be traded imo. not just for the benefit of the NJD, but also for the benefit of his career. hell, send him to SJ, so he can continue his ‘colin white-lite’ career. the thing I liked the most about him is how absolutely insane he was. I remember…marty, was it? going on and on about all the **** he talks, how he’s deranged in the locker room (in a good way)…just flat out nuts.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I really don't think Corrente has a future here. More of our defensive prospects are getting close to being NHL ready, and he's going to be squeezed out by the logjam eventually.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I really don't think Corrente has a future here. More of our defensive prospects are getting close to being NHL ready, and he's going to be squeezed out by the logjam eventually.

Why are we talking about Corrente like he was actually a key part of our team? When he got his shot last year, he looked brutal and wanted to fight anything that moved.

He's a bottom pairing d-men that might get a chance eventually... but I doubt it'll be in NJ unless someone goes down with a injury.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I dont think he was brutal last year. he wasnt bad until he got hurt

that being said, i think his time here is pretty much done aside from being an injury call up

Crimson Devil*

I feel bad for Pelley. His NHL career is pretty much over, and he wasn't ever that bad but he was never good. That guy you would never notice in a game

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I feel bad for Pelley. His NHL career is pretty much over, and he wasn't ever that bad but he was never good. That guy you would never notice in a game

Ya, he probably isn't good enough to catch on with another team, considering he has passed through waivers twice. Too bad for him.

Welcome to the board, by the way.

vonbonds

My boy is the Stig!
Oct 18, 2008
Landenberg, PA
Hopefully he`ll get a callup. I was sad to hear Lou said he`s given up on him, but obviously it got him going and Lou should reconsider his status. I still believe he has a future here.

This. I`m sorry, he`s just not NHL caliber, injury replacement for a 4th liner at best.

When did Lou say he has given up on Corrente? I have been heads down with work and miss a lot here.

Thanks.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

if it makes you feel any better, he gets paid a lot of money to swipe at a puck with a stick. perspective!

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
NJ
This thread went from being exclusively about our top prospect...to a discussion of mediocre prospects/career AHLers.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Corrente definitely gets a bad rap, but he can still look pretty solid on a good night. With that said, he still has not proven anything to remain on an NHL roster. He has a lot more aspects to his game, but at this point I'm doubtful he can put it all together at once

I would like to counter that he already HAD put it together in his callup last season. We can't expect him to outplay Adam Larsson or anything, but in his small amount of games last season, he was throwing his weight around and he didn't look like a liability at all. Plus, for that short amount of time, he was putting up points at the same clip as Andy Greene, while playing under Maclean. He deserves one more shot, in my opinion.

apice3*

Why are we talking about Corrente like he was actually a key part of our team? When he got his shot last year, he looked brutal and wanted to fight anything that moved.

He's a bottom pairing d-men that might get a chance eventually... but I doubt it'll be in NJ unless someone goes down with a injury.

I disagree, strongly. He has 30 NHL games under his belt, and despite that he looked like a good bottom pairing guy. He is also a right handed shot, which is something we lack on the blueline.

Weren't you one of the people this offseason demanding that we bring in some tougher players? Corrente brings toughness that we lack.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
How does he handle the physical game? Is he hitting?

He's doing fine with that. He's more likely to shut down the opposition with good positioning and stickwork, but when the situation calls for him to put a body on the forward, he does it well.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I disagree, strongly. He has 30 NHL games under his belt, and despite that he looked like a good bottom pairing guy. He is also a right handed shot, which is something we lack on the blueline.

The problem I see with Corrente is that he doesn't think the game well. When he played last year he certainly did have some brutally bad moments, because of it.

I do think that can be fixed, but it'll take time and good coaching. With Larsson and Fayne already playing much better than Corrente, and guys like Merril, Gelinas and Burlon on the way, I'm not sure the Devils can give Corrente the time and patience he needs.

He would be best served going someplace else where he can play regular NHL minutes, and get a lot of help from a good coaching staff. Give him that and IMO you've got a solid 2nd pair D in a couple of years.

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
i honestly don't think that corrente is all that bad. i like how he plays with an edge. the only problem is that we have a logjam on defense currently. if we didn't sign boulton or janssen, we could have stuck corrente on the 4th line and he probably would have done just fine. zharkov-mills-corrente.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
unless there is a trade, there realistically is only 1 spot on the D available next year

Larsson
Volchenkov
Tallinder
Greene
Fayne

will all be here.

thats just not enough room for a guy like corrente with all the otehr guys we have on the way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad